TD Meta - is anyone still trying?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

I tried to get to some organised map and it seems like there is hardly any… In the end I managed to join one and it was just pseudo organised and failed in 5 minutes… I mean, I don’t mind hard content, I don’t mind if the whole map has to participate…but somehow this map got a bad reputation so there is hardly anyone who is still willing to try progressing it.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

It requires about 20 players per lane and none of them to use any skills that effect the breakbar. Since a percentage of players do not know what their skills do, or simply don’t care and refuse to listen, this event often fails.

The numbers issue should be resolved when they fix the mega server thing. You likely will never fix the other issue.

Mortifer.2946

So there is some mega server issue?

Posted by: kylania.6924

kylania.6924

Sounds like bad open world design. Perfect for a guild event, but not something random people would be involved in.

Mortifer.2946

And what is this problem with not-CC-ing? I actually never managed to get into organised event so I don’t know how it works.

Posted by: Daralii.8940

Daralii.8940

And what is this problem with not-CC-ing? I actually never managed to get into organised event so I don’t know how it works.

He has a channeled ability where he stands still and makes rocks fall from the ceiling. If you don’t break his defiance bar then, he’ll stand still for a very long time allowing the group to burn him.

Ayrilana.1396

He has a channeled ability where he stands still and makes rocks fall from the ceiling. If you don’t break his defiance bar then, he’ll stand still for a very long time allowing the group to burn him.

Plus he doesn’t use the purple blob attack that kills those who are not paying attention.

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

Do note, cripple, chill, immobilize, weakness are all count as CC that break bars.
It’s near impossible to negate all of these because many classes have innate condition on their weapon skills.

Ayrilana.1396

Do note, cripple, chill, immobilize, weakness are all count as CC that break bars.
It’s near impossible to negate all of these because many classes have innate condition on their weapon skills.

But not every skill has those though. It’s better to use a weapon that doesn’t and avoid using skills that do. People are told this and they still don’t listen. The event is going to get much more difficult to complete if people continue to not listen. Guilds will just team up with other guilds to get a map almost entirely to themselves. In fact, they’re already doing it now because of how things have currently been.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: Skoigoth.9238

Skoigoth.9238

Actually, I was able to complete it today for the first time! =)

I am playing on EU and I was there for the two runs WoodenPotatoes did on his stream today, both of which unfortunately failed. After the second attempt and after WP shut down his stream, a kind individual from within the gw2community.ts community took initiative and rallied the remainder of the map together for a third attempt which sadly failed again, in absolutely heartbreaking fashion, with only one of the Gerents left at like 0.1% HP! But, hope was not lost and I decided to stay for a fourth attempt (I really, REALLY wanted to beat this event today =P) and that time we FINALLY did it with a comfortable ~1:50 min. left on the timer if I remember correctly.

TL;DR: It is doable, don’t give up! It was extremely fun to learn how to do this event over the past two weeks and very satisfying to watch the people participating progressively becoming better and better at it.

That being said, big thanks to the folks over at gw2community.ts for commanding, organizing and providing such a great platform for the EU community, SCAR Lane for life and enjoy this screenshot.

Attachments:

Mortifer.2946

Congratulations!!!!!

Ayrilana.1396

On a partially unrelated note, for those that completed the meta, is the lane specific achievement completing for you? I participated the entire time for Nuhoch and never got credit for it unless I have to do that three times which doesn’t make sense based on the description.

Actually, is it referring to the Chak Rush events?

Posted by: Takanashi.6548

Takanashi.6548

This Meta is the worst out of all 4 maps, I don’t even bother going to the map and just grind 1, 2 and 4. Its already annoying that you have to travel underground go back up run around in circles that they made the Main Meta so difficult for regular pugs to do.

Ayrilana.1396

It’s easier with access to wallows.

Posted by: Burtnik.5218

Burtnik.5218

I gave up on this joke event few days ago and wont step there ever again till i wont see nerfs in patch notes. Its one big joke, and on top of that last colelciton item is need is locked behind that. Srsly please give me priv instance scaled for one player, move colelction item to any other event or nerf this junk.

Salt, salt, moar salt. So salty like fries from McDonald!
Playing Smite since mid s2, f broken gw2.

Posted by: Skoigoth.9238

Skoigoth.9238

Congratulations!!!!!

tyvm

On a partially unrelated note, for those that completed the meta, is the lane specific achievement completing for you? I participated the entire time for Nuhoch and never got credit for it unless I have to do that three times which doesn’t make sense based on the description.

Actually, is it referring to the Chak Rush events?

Are you referring to the " x Lane Defender" achievements? I think they refer to the Chak Rush events, yes (correct me if I’m wrong pls). They might be bugged indeed, I have 0 progress in all of them.
But to be fair, I never gave much attention to the rush event because I’m usually too focused on the lane mechanics and surviving the main fight in melee range for the majority of the event. So it is absolutely possible that I’ve never actually participated in three consecutive defense events even though I’ve been playing the kitten out of this event for the past 10 days or so. I really can’t tell.

(edited by Skoigoth.9238)

Posted by: Ronnie Hu.1694

Ronnie Hu.1694

same here. if i dont see some adjustment on this meta, i just let it go.

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

The people who say don’t give up, its really just lucky that your timing allowed you to be online when the community driven guild took over, and you happened to get into that organised map, for 99% of players this will never happen, I wouldn’t care so much about this meta event, if it didn’t have an item achievement locked behind it, Anet really messed up here, and im fed up sitting in that TD map trying to rally people to do an event that they have no interest in, not with DS, AB having easier more successful runs that reward you.

Anet either need to move the gated item behind this achievement to a different world boss, or have the ability to buy it from an NPC, else people will be forced to stand in a map that no one bothers with.

Also to add further insult to that TD map, last night when the Meta was about to begin, we have several people open up taxi’s and in the LFG tool all you could see was,

Taxi, AB meta
Taxi, VB meta
Taxi, Teq

No one will go to TD over these other events, as they know these other events will succeed, why would you waste your time on a map that will likely fail in under 10 mins.

Anet need to acknowledge the problem in Tangled Depths map.

Mortifer.2946

Thank you for your input. You are 100% right. Hopefully, they will do something about it.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I find it unlikely anyone will bother with this meta other than occasional guild runs.

There are a number of problems with the map:

1. Map is hard to navigate. Sure if you play there for 20+ hours it eventually becomes pretty easy to navigate, but most players are not going to slog through torture and no rewards for 20 hours just to figure out a map deisgn.

2. Meta event trigger is WAAAYYYY too long. It takes about 30 minutes to get all the camps to maximum (assuming no bugs), yet the meta only triggers once every 2 hours. Am I just supposed to sit there and wait doing the same 1-2 events over and over for 90 friggin minutes before the meta triggers. I’ve logged out in frustration at least twice since I got tired of just sitting there waiting.

3. Rewards are crap. VB and AB give a map reward for every blip between T1 and T4. That gives you like 6-7 chests at least while doing the map. TD gives you one for each tier, and only sometimes. I generally get between 1-3 meta chests which have totally crap rewards while waiting for the meta.

4. Meta rewards are crap. During the meta event itself if you just have everyone stack on SCAR lane, do one rush event and one chak event you get a few greens and 40 ley line crystals. If I spend an hour organizing a map, struggle for 20 minutes on all 4 lanes, and coordinate perfectly… I get a few greens and 75 ley line crystals. Not worth the effort.

5. HP sponge and poor mechanics. If there is a break bar, it should help if you break it, not punish you by triggering 1HKO moves or making the boss run around like a maniac. His HP is also bout 3x more than it should be. If you are handling the mechanics (which are already harder than other maps) then you should be winning. You shouldn’t then fail because you need everyone in ascended zerker gear to even come close to doing enough damage.

These things need to be addressed if you want your playerbase to actually play this map.

Posted by: kuscheldrow.6415

kuscheldrow.6415

I still need to see that boss fall for the Mistward armor – I wouldn’t go there if I wasn’t forced by that. Everything else was okay, but that one… Seriously… YOu waste your time over and over again, do events for nearly 2hrs… The map is full – and if it comes to meta, everyone’s gone. No one even wants to TRY…
And IF you happen to come across people actually trying you see 10ppl per lane and off course it fails terribly.

Trying to find a good orga isn’t that easy too. And then you have to be right on time and lucky enough to get your slot too. I really hope something will be done about this. This is getting frustrating. I won’t set any foot into TD anymore, other than for leyline crytal farming for another boring collection if I feel the urge to, until something is done that makes the attempts of fulfilling meta more successful.

Yeah SOME people wanted harder content… but I don’t think harder content is defined by frustrating map metas that no one is able to do wiethout an organized map in the first place. That makes no sense if you have to grind eventchains first.

Funny that almost no one seems to know anything about that not CCing anyway – even on pseudo organized TD maps no one loses a word about that, no wonder it fails under 3 minutes… And then… afaik even the reaper has CC on his autohit… A lot of professions have.
So it’s not only kitten hard to do, you’re even forced to use another weapon than you’d usually do or other skills or whatever? Yeah that’s some fun… That’s not “hard” that’s – simplified – stupid.

Trahearne <3

Posted by: Jordo.5913

Jordo.5913

I’ve given up on it yes…unless I come home and see WP trying to do it because he was able to get his streamers to get 3/4 gerents down.

So unless I ride WP to a success, I doubt it’s happening.

Posted by: nosleepdemon.1368

nosleepdemon.1368

TD is probably my favourite map out of all the maps because it has so many distinct areas. When I first found that central cavern and finally figured out what all the “x has appeared in y lane” stuff was about I was seriously impressed. From a technical standpoint, the map is quite an achievement imo. The meta event is quite hard, and I’ve only tried it a few times however with that said, I don’t get what the deal is with people absolutely needing it done right now. Tequatl was also hard, and then he got nerfed to the point of just being a complete joke, where’s the fun in that? I’d rather have an event that’s rock solid and requires herculean coordination to complete, that actually feels like an accomplishment when it’s beaten, than some watered down joke that any Tom, kitten and Harry can do with their eyes closed.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I tried to get to some organised map and it seems like there is hardly any… In the end I managed to join one and it was just pseudo organised and failed in 5 minutes… I mean, I don’t mind hard content, I don’t mind if the whole map has to participate…but somehow this map got a bad reputation so there is hardly anyone who is still willing to try progressing it.

There’s never going to be 100% participation of an event on an open map. 100% of the people on a map are not going to drop everything they’re doing to go do the meta event.

Sometimes, when I’ve been playing in Auric Basin, I’d see people screaming for everyone to drop everything to come do the Tarir fight, but at the times, I was working on my map completion and had worked hard to get where I was at, so I wasn’t budging until I’d finished what I was doing. By then, they’d failed the thing and it was over.

It’s bad design if 100% of players on a map have to do the same thing for the meta to actually succeed.

Posted by: Eval.2371

Eval.2371

Sounds like bad open world design. Perfect for a guild event, but not something random people would be involved in.

This is untrue. Its been two weeks. People are still getting used to it. There was a group of pugs on eu that did it yesterday. Remember when people thought tequatl and vinewrath was impossible?

[Cya] TC Roamer/Scout
I Play WvW to have fun. I don’t find it fun anymore. Therefore I don’t play.

Posted by: gricks.1897

gricks.1897

This is the toughest map but players will figure out how best to do it. Teq was hard on his new incarnation as well, but folks figured it out. I think the only issue with this map is simply the rewards. For a harder metaevent, you really do need better rewards or folks wont bother.

The Wrecking Krewe[NYE] – [Maguuma] Arum Bloodclaw

Posted by: Xhyros.1340

Xhyros.1340

Not breaking the blue bar when it appears is counterintuitive and needs to be fixed. The stun duration and bonus damage need to be finaggled with until it is a reward rather than a punishment. The duration of said reward needs to scale with how long it had left on its channel to encourage fast breaking. Where was the game designer for this? It should’ve been obvious, unless they WANTED you to not break the bar, which I highly doubt, like how they didn’t want you to fail events in Orr.

Posted by: tluv.5821

tluv.5821

My guild completed the meta event last night. Ethereal Guardians. We brought Orge Pet Whistles and Fire Elementals to the fight to help with DPS in certain areas.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians
Formerly [QT] Questionable Tactics

Posted by: AlphaDelilas.2873

AlphaDelilas.2873

I had avoided TD precisely because it has been so punishing. I waited for people to figure it out and went with my guild this morning. It sucked waiting the 2 hours, but we did end up getting it all down and it was pretty interesting.

I do though think it takes way too much for far too little pay out, especially for something that takes up the entire map and is what gives you access to the next. That level of difficulty is fine for something like Triple Trouble since it only takes up a bit of the map and is completely optional, but TD is just a bit too much.

Ayrilana.1396

I believe if they swap the gerent’ attack modes so that it does its annoying attacks when its breakbar is up would likely improve the experience. It’s counter intuitive to ignore the breakbar and you won’t be able to prevent random players from doing so.

Posted by: TheFantasticGman.9451

TheFantasticGman.9451

TD is probably my favourite map out of all the maps because it has so many distinct areas. When I first found that central cavern and finally figured out what all the “x has appeared in y lane” stuff was about I was seriously impressed. From a technical standpoint, the map is quite an achievement imo. The meta event is quite hard, and I’ve only tried it a few times however with that said, I don’t get what the deal is with people absolutely needing it done right now. Tequatl was also hard, and then he got nerfed to the point of just being a complete joke, where’s the fun in that? I’d rather have an event that’s rock solid and requires herculean coordination to complete, that actually feels like an accomplishment when it’s beaten, than some watered down joke that any Tom, kitten and Harry can do with their eyes closed.

I’ll wait 6-9 months before pugging this one then… Like I did for teq

Speaking from a PVE-only point of view…

Posted by: Misguided.5139

Misguided.5139

Meta event trigger is WAAAYYYY too long.

This is the most puzzling thing.

I think this whole thing isn’t nearly as hard as people think, but finding an organized attempt is near impossible. And people figured out quickly that Auric Basin was easier and had better rewards, so that is unlikely to change. Auric Basin failed repeatedly in the first few days until people figured out how it all worked. by the time people figured out how TD worked, almost no one cared anymore.

Once I kind of figured out how the map worked, it has really grown on me. I’d like to do this event, but doesn’t seem realistic right now.

Ayrilana.1396

I’ve been tempted to write a guide on how to navigate TD in hopes it would bring more people to the map. After spending time on it, I find it fairly easy to navigate and even easier with wallows.

Probably the best advice I can give without writing it is to consider TD as a series of hubs representing each of the meta chains with their base camps and their event areas. You then have the gerent meta to the south represented with the four lanes as well as the section used for the story (I believe the troll HP is there).

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: Shinya.2598

Shinya.2598

TD is too difficult because you can’t really organize for it and it’s too easy to fail.
There’s no way we’ll get 80+ people on a TS

Posted by: tluv.5821

tluv.5821

TD is too difficult because you can’t really organize for it and it’s too easy to fail.
There’s no way we’ll get 80+ people on a TS

Again, my guild did it. People actually had to sit out because we had 150 people in TS, and the map caps at 90.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians
Formerly [QT] Questionable Tactics

Posted by: Cameirus.8407

Cameirus.8407

been trying for a week, organising maps an hour in advance…..

Finally just given up. Its just absurd with the way map populations are so low.

Posted by: nosleepdemon.1368

nosleepdemon.1368

been trying for a week, organising maps an hour in advance…..

Finally just given up. Its just absurd with the way map populations are so low.

You’d think that the mega server system would take care of low population problems, but I’ve also ended up on maps with few players and it’s rather puzzling. Even with a large number of players doing something else, there should be enough to fill in the gaps and get some large populations together. There must be some rules set for match-making with the mega servers that’s causing a problem.

Posted by: Mega Skeleton.8259

Mega Skeleton.8259

The low map cap makes it especially difficult, and probably faces similar problems to VB event, in more ways than one. People start to drop out and lose interest, and the low cap probably means more maps are open than there should be by the time the event rolls around. Secondly, the rewards are basically at their best at the first time only. The actual chests and loot you get are pretty meh. The same goes for most the meta events, like VB and DS.

[EG] is recruiting!

Posted by: ezhcim.3075

ezhcim.3075

I got to beat this event after a whole week of trying. It was very rewarding to beat it but the process was very frustrating. It is very frustrating because there are many restrictions that make it hard for you to beat the event that completely escape your control as a player. It requires mostly everyone in the map to be at the event, and everyone needs to collaborate actively, which is just ridiculous because there will always be new people, people doing other things or even leechers.
While it felt awesome to beat it, and I can say it’s doable, I still think it needs to be adjusted just a little bit by either reducing the HP of the bosses, or making the break bars actually work in your favor, or by increasing the map player cap.
This event forced me to get into a guild and actively follow the guild schedule so as to work with them and beat the event. Even then there was always more than a few guildies that wouldn’t be able to get into the map due to it being full.
While guilds are a positive thing to have, participation in a guild to be able to complete things shouldn’t be mandatory.

(edited by ezhcim.3075)

Posted by: Mallis.4295

Mallis.4295

Done this multiple times. It’s not very hard if people just don’t CC and learn to do actual DPS.

Posted by: KWman.3012

KWman.3012

Just out of curious, people who have won TD Meta, would they do it again? and again?

Yes, I am a Champion of an Egg.

Posted by: ezhcim.3075

ezhcim.3075

Just out of curious, people who have won TD Meta, would they do it again? and again?

I finished it and it was such a pain in the butt that I try to help maps out now, but at the same time theres such a small player cap in the map that I feel like im taking a spot from someone who might actually need it. I haven’t really done it much after I beat it specially cos I dont feel like parking my toon in TD for 2 hours.

Ayrilana.1396

Yes. It was fun.

Posted by: OMNIBUS.2913

OMNIBUS.2913

Nope, its just a dps race mainly, and unless you’re in an organized guild the chance for failure with pugs is really high from my experiences so far. The loot for winning is also not great for the amount of effort to organize.

You don’t need ts for this event though, as when the guild i joined won, nobody was using ts.

Posted by: That Guy.5704

That Guy.5704

2. Meta event trigger is WAAAYYYY too long. It takes about 30 minutes to get all the camps to maximum (assuming no bugs), yet the meta only triggers once every 2 hours. Am I just supposed to sit there and wait doing the same 1-2 events over and over for 90 friggin minutes before the meta triggers. I’ve logged out in frustration at least twice since I got tired of just sitting there waiting.

This is a huge issue I think. I went to do a TD meta last night for the ley line crystals. map was resetting, I thought it would be the best time to get into a map. So, I go to TD, open LFG and start waiting to have fun. ……….. no taxis, no one doing the map. I finally put up “LF Org TD”. it times out because no one joined. put it up 2-3 more times and finally 15 minutes after starting this process I get on a map that has 2 commander tags. there are 4 lanes right and 4 meta event chains? well each commander has their group do 2 of the chains with like 10 people with each commander. We get everything fully upgraded, go to the center of the map where the gerent events are and I open gw2.ninja to see when it would spawn…..in 40 minutes. I’m sorry what? I understand 10 minutes for organizing and things, but holy crap, we had a sparsely populated map with a commander who had to use the scouts to figure out how to get around and we were still finished 40 minutes ahead of time?

So, question. Why is this is boss on a 2 hour timer? Why doesnt this boss spawn 10-15 minutes after all the lane events complete? This would mean less down time and would also mean that there would be maps running all the time as opposed to the real event only every 2 hours. As it stands, this system greatly incentivizes leeching of people who did the map event chains and just hopping in for the gerent event so you dont have to sit and wait all that time (though I guess it provides plenty of time to make dinner or something).

Posted by: Maliel.8362

Maliel.8362

Yes i would, mostly because i want all the chak weapons.

Posted by: Misguided.5139

Misguided.5139

Yeah, I think this map should have a fixed timer as a fallback (in case one of the missions bugs out), but fully upgrading all of the lanes should kick off a 20 minute countdown to the meta event or something of that nature.

Posted by: Wieland.2056

Wieland.2056

Frankly the map has too much going against it at the moment :
- Confusing layout
- “daytime” events chains that take like 15 mins to complete and then it is 2 hours of idling or doint pointless events that do not reward zone currency.
- zone population cap seems way way off for a zone of this size and an event of this scale
- I won’t add anything to what other people said about the difficulty of the event, but seriously : an event (even an easy one), that you can fail in minutes, when several group must coordinate to exectute flawlessly, with no fall back mechanic, no partial succes, all or nothing, on a 2 hours timer. Seriously ?

Posted by: Naevius.3185

Naevius.3185

I have yet to see a map that had anywhere near the number of people required, much less the ability to complete it.

Posted by: rotsono.9176

rotsono.9176

Its pretty funny that it mostly is enough when everyone spams autoattack what everyone always complains randoms only do.
But when they have to do it they spam every god kitten skill.