Taimi's Game

Taimi's Game

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Surek.3056

Surek.3056

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to say I finished this first mission of the second episode of LWS3 and it blew my mind, it was incredible!
The dialog reveals were awesome, the fight was very fun and the music during the fight was outstanding. Loved every second of it, especially the easter eggs of a certain asura, it was hilarious.

I can only say thank you so much for this piece of gameplay

Surek

Taimi's Game

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

I want Taimi’s new armor for my Asura characters

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Taimi's Game

Posted by: repcs.3986

repcs.3986

i want her to die already.

Taimi's Game

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

lol Why? Is the instance really hard to solo or something?

Taimi's Game

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Not going to happen. She’s just a child, anet is too PC to let children die.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Taimi's Game

Posted by: Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to say I finished this first mission of the second episode of LWS3 and it blew my mind, it was incredible!
The dialog reveals were awesome, the fight was very fun and the music during the fight was outstanding. Loved every second of it, especially the easter eggs of a certain asura, it was hilarious.

I can only say thank you so much for this piece of gameplay

Surek

Yep I’ve been enjoying the past living world seasons quite alot, even tho I’m a WvW player these new episodes draw me out of my safe space and I’m loving it!

Taimi's Game

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I actually belly laughed RL a couple of times at the dialogues in this episode (the whole thing, not just Taimi’s Game).

Taimi's Game

Posted by: Magnus Godrik.5841

Magnus Godrik.5841

I loved it. I hope they add something like that to the guild hall. Felt like I was in the gw2 version of the xmen danger room.

Taimi's Game

Posted by: Boogiepop Void.6473

Boogiepop Void.6473

I thought is was going to turn out that we were fighting real destroyers the whole time.

Taimi's Game

Posted by: Kashrlyyk.5364

Kashrlyyk.5364

I absolutely hated it. This is the third time they hid the exploration of a new map behind a mandatory mission all your characters have to do.

They did it with Drytop, with the expansion we payed money for and now again with this.

This particular mission is also kitten. The player character is a pathetic pushover that never makes a decision of his/her own. How about “No, I don’t want to test this kittenty arena. I have to fight a kittenING Dragon!”

Stuff like that ruins the notion that Primordus is a threat.

Another thing that ruins that is the fact that apparently the player character is so kittened that he/she thinks having ONE person doing the research on this dangerous dragon is totally enough.

The mission itself wasn’t fun either. The destroyer waves were too long and the “funny” easter egg was just annoying.

This mission spread a two minute dialogue into a 12 minute waste of time. And you have to repeat it on EVERY single of your characters you want in the new area.

Missions like that destroy the ridiculously small amount of immersion this game has to offer.

They also had the stupid as bread player character in the Guild Wars 1 Nightfalls expansion probably before that even. So no change in that area for nearly a decade now.

Taimi's Game

Posted by: KickzNGigglez.4958

KickzNGigglez.4958

I enjoyed the humor and found soloing the two instances for achievements rather challenging if you didn’t know what you were doing. For example, I died on the last wave of the first instance because I didn’t notice the blue orb that extinguished the flames. Nor did I have a knockback/pull for the final destroying during the last instance so the shield barely dropped under 50%.

Taimi's Game

Posted by: mauried.5608

mauried.5608

Using gated content to enter a new map isnt a sensible idea.
Taimis game is a pretty challenging story that many people with have trouble with and you have to do it to get to the new zone.
Would have made more sense to make the storyline harder at the end so people who cant manage Taimis game can still explore the new zone.
I got thru it , but sure as hell didnt like it and wont be doing it again on any of my other chars.
Games are supposed to be fun , not frustrating exercises of dieing over and over.

Taimi's Game

Posted by: Gryphon.2875

Gryphon.2875

You can buy an account-bound re-usable portal scroll to get your alts to the new area from the unbound magic vendor Asura by the Gate. I did the mission on three toons, then the thought of doing that holodeck one more time…. nope, got the scroll.

Taimi's Game

Posted by: kurfu.5623

kurfu.5623

And you have to repeat it on EVERY single of your characters you want in the new area.

No, you don’t.

You only have to do it on one character to access the new map, then you can buy an account-bound portal to get your alts in.

Taimi's Game

Posted by: Alga.6498

Alga.6498

Am I the only one who hates Taimi?
She’s SOOOOO annoying with her ’’oh look at me, i’m so smart and hohoh look a dragon on my screenboard!!1 yaay.’’
like wtf

Killing Eir and other cool characters but keep these stupid and bad written ones.
OK........
Meh, -.-’

|GW1 2008~|GW2 BETA player|Separatist|Nightmare Court|Ebonhawke|Ascalon|White Mantle|71 characters|

Taimi's Game

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Thought it was boring but not annoying at least. Hated it when the first time I unbelievably died be cause I misclicked into a fire field. So with other words; I have to do this rather boring mission again.

I really don’t like characters like Taimi. It’s like those super nice and faux Disney characters. I want stories like in Witcher or Game of Thrones, mature content. But yeah, I get why they won’t/can’t do that.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Taimi's Game

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Thought it was boring but not annoying at least. Hated it when the first time I unbelievably died be cause I misclicked into a fire field. So with other words; I have to do this rather boring mission again.

I really don’t like characters like Taimi. It’s like those super nice and faux Disney characters. I want stories like in Witcher or Game of Thrones, mature content. But yeah, I get why they won’t/can’t do that.

I find it interesting how people mis-associate dark with mature. I assure you many mature people don’t like dark and gritty.

While I do like dark and gritty, I don’t ONLY like dark and gritty. There’s room for both. I like the Witcher. But I can like lots of things too, including Disney.

Don’t confuse dark with mature.

Taimi is funny and precocious and a lot of older people in my guild, people in their 40s and 50s like her quite a bit. Possibly because we’ve all raised teenagers. lol

(edited by Vayne.8563)

Taimi's Game

Posted by: Gryphon.2875

Gryphon.2875

Don’t confuse dark with mature.

After all, most Emos are quite immature :P

Taimi's Game

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Using gated content to enter a new map isnt a sensible idea.
Taimis game is a pretty challenging story that many people with have trouble with and you have to do it to get to the new zone.
Would have made more sense to make the storyline harder at the end so people who cant manage Taimis game can still explore the new zone.
I got thru it , but sure as hell didnt like it and wont be doing it again on any of my other chars.
Games are supposed to be fun , not frustrating exercises of dieing over and over.

Yes, it is the first time I actually had all my armor broken by the end of the instance. I did not even hesitate on buying the portal scroll at the end.

Taimi's Game

Posted by: Thorfinnr Sleggja.1209

Thorfinnr Sleggja.1209

I’m NOT trying to be a jerk when I ask this…

What about being in the “Danger Room” with Taimi was so hard?

I only did this with my main currently, which is a Vanilla Warrior(not with Berserker loaded). I think I was downed once when I dodged past an orb when trying to shut down the flame circles.

Or am I misunderstanding which part was the big challenge to everyone?

What professions are you guys having so much trouble with? Just curious as I bring my other toons up through the story.

Thanks.

I do because I can
I can because I want to
I want to because you said I couldn’t

Taimi's Game

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

My first time through was on a Daredevil while learning the mechanics. I did fine until the final destroyer; I never saw a water orb for that fight so I plain ran out of room and burned to death a lot, to the point that I did use one repair canister I happened to have on me. (This despite my heal stripping burning from me, when it was available). My second time was on a Reaper, but, well, I also had 4 friends along so the whole thing was a breeze regardless of profession.

I didn’t find it unmanageably difficult the first time through, despite my squishiness.

This is in reply to Thorfinnr’s question about what professions face challenges, not in any way suggesting that no one should have trouble in the Danger Room. As far as Taimi goes she irritated me when we first met her. As she’s developed she’s grown on me. She and Canach provide a much needed snark quotient.

Taimi's Game

Posted by: SuinegTsol.1729

SuinegTsol.1729

finished it on my thief without using any orbs.
the key using a squishy class ist to position yourself in a way, that the boss aoe’s dont spread over the whole map and kill it quite fast. as soon as he’s down just take your time! aoes disappear after a while, so just make shure you manage your space a bit and you should not have any trouble. its just another l2p ;-p

Taimi's Game

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

I only did this with my main currently, which is a Vanilla Warrior(not with Berserker loaded). I think I was downed once when I dodged past an orb when trying to shut down the flame circles.

What professions are you guys having so much trouble with? Just curious as I bring my other toons up through the story.

Thanks.

I didn’t even know you could shut down the flame circles. I just dodged around them.

Never even dropped below 50% health.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Taimi's Game

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

Giant super monkey

Way to tease us ArenaNet.

I did manage to complete Taimi’s game without dying (though I came close) and got the achievement for it (and I’ve only done the story once so far), but it was annoying having 20 destroyers chasing me around in circles while pretending my ranger pet didn’t exist at all. In fact, this happens in the LS3 story instances, as well as Bloodstone Fen and Ember Bay; most enemies completely ignore my pet for some reason.

There’s something charming about rangers.

Taimi's Game

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I found the Ender’s Game reference to be quite enjoyable. The mission as a whole was fun. I had no idea that there was a way to turn off the fire patches so I had to do some quick maneuvering to keep up my damage output without being downed myself. Very fun.

Except….

I have no interest in SAB. Bringing the 8bit monkey into play in this mission has taken me from looking forward to seeing how my various alts will play through the mission to instead feeling as if I will have to pass on playing this chapter of the LS with any characters other than the one already in.

I get it, AN has an 8bit gaming fetish, but there is no need to push it on others. SAB is great in its implementation. Completely segregated from core content so that those interested can indulge as they see fit while others can ignore its existence. Why the change? Advertising a game mode that isnt even available seems like a bad idea.

Taimi's Game

Posted by: Mr Quinn.9815

Mr Quinn.9815

you can skip this ‘mission’ with a scroll … where do I get this scroll?

this notice was brought to you by a Misguided Misfit

Taimi's Game

Posted by: onevstheworld.2419

onevstheworld.2419

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ember_Bay_Portal_Scroll

It’s from the vendor when you first enter EB. Obviously that means you need to get one character into EB before you can obtain it.

Taimi's Game

Menadena.7482

Thanks.

Doing it hours after release so not knowing that you could turn off the flames is a bit of a disadvantage.

Taimi's Game

Posted by: Thorfinnr Sleggja.1209

Thorfinnr Sleggja.1209

I found the Ender’s Game reference to be quite enjoyable. The mission…

Remember from the dialog, its flavor to the story of Moto, who Taimi asked for help.

Doing it hours after release so not knowing that you could turn off the flames is a bit of a disadvantage.

I can completely understand…if I had done it first time through with one of my Scholar classes, I may have had the same difficulties while figuring it out.

I do because I can
I can because I want to
I want to because you said I couldn’t

Taimi's Game

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I have no interest in SAB. Bringing the 8bit monkey into play in this mission has taken me from looking forward to seeing how my various alts will play through the mission to instead feeling as if I will have to pass on playing this chapter of the LS with any characters other than the one already in.

I get it, AN has an 8bit gaming fetish, but there is no need to push it on others. SAB is great in its implementation. Completely segregated from core content so that those interested can indulge as they see fit while others can ignore its existence. Why the change? Advertising a game mode that isnt even available seems like a bad idea.

Not sure you can call it an “advertisement” when the content it would be advertising isn’t even available in-game right now.

Perhaps the fact that you have no interest in SAB means you’ve also missed why the Super Monkey appears in Taimi’s Game.

Taimi says she brought Moto in to help with fixing the machine because she couldn’t do it herself. Moto is the Asura who created SAB. Which makes perfect sense, because the machine is all about holograms that need to be interactive to “digital copies” of the user and act like real creatures. Which is exactly that Moto created with Super Adventure Box. And its nice to see that Taimi does have actual limitations in terms of knowledge and expertise and isn’t just a genius at absolutely everything.

She left him alone with the machine while he was working (she says something along the lines of “I only left him alone for 5 minutes!” when the monkey shows up) and he decided to do something silly and import one of his creations into it. Which is hilarious and totally sounds like something Moto would do. Heck, he inserted himself into SAB as both the princess and the character who sends you on your journey.

Personally, I love the fact that instead of just bringing in some random new character or having Taimi be an expert in yet another field, they actually did a bit of world-building and connected the instance with something else which happened in GW2’s world.

Taimi's Game

Menadena.7482

Remember from the dialog, its flavor to the story of Moto, who Taimi asked for help.

I can completely understand…if I had done it first time through with one of my Scholar classes, I may have had the same difficulties while figuring it out.

True, and that was on my power build herald! I did not want to even think about how some of my other professions would do in the danger room. True, I could have waited a bit more so I was not going in blindfolded but I was like a kid who had just been handed a new prezzy to unwrap.

Taimi's Game

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

True, and that was on my power build herald! I did not want to even think about how some of my other professions would do in the danger room. True, I could have waited a bit more so I was not going in blindfolded but I was like a kid who had just been handed a new prezzy to unwrap.

It was very easy on a reaper. I expect a tempest to steam roll it as well. I guess chronomancer would be annoying if you have to relying on illusions but that is nothing new.

Taimi's Game

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

^ I found it easiest on my condi chrono main. Just what you’re most used to I guess.

Taimi's Game

Ashen.2907

Not sure you can call it an “advertisement” when the content it would be advertising isn’t even available in-game right now.

Perhaps the fact that you have no interest in SAB means you’ve also missed why the Super Monkey appears in Taimi’s Game.

The advertised thing does not need to be available at the time of the advertisement for the act of advertising to be such. Movies are advertised as much as a year in advance of their release. Anet began advertising GW2 long before its release. Advertisements for stores run even during time periods when the stores are closed. And so on.

The Super Monkey exists in Taimi’s Game because Anet decided to import an element of SAB into a non SAB segment of the game. Of course they can choose to then use lore to explain it away but ultimately its there because they wanted to impose an element of SAB on the mission.

Taimi's Game

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

The advertised thing does not need to be available at the time of the advertisement for the act of advertising to be such. Movies are advertised as much as a year in advance of their release. Anet began advertising GW2 long before its release. Advertisements for stores run even during time periods when the stores are closed. And so on.

The Super Monkey exists in Taimi’s Game because Anet decided to import an element of SAB into a non SAB segment of the game. Of course they can choose to then use lore to explain it away but ultimately its there because they wanted to impose an element of SAB on the mission.

Unless you’re a mind-reader, that’s just speculation. It’s a far simpler theory that it’s there to bring a humourous twist to the story, which is a part of good story-telling.

Typically, a joke has a set-up and a pay-off. The set-up is a small piece of dialogue by Taimi that Moto had a hand in fixing the simulator. This will have the listener, if they noticed it, thinking, “Wait.. Moto? Wasn’t he the guy who…”

Then comes the pay-off: the monkey in the simulation, which leaves the player thinking, “Yup. That Moto. This is just like him.”

Imagine the story without this gag. It’s still good, but less charming. Less memorable.

Taimi's Game

Ashen.2907

Unless you’re a mind-reader, that’s just speculation.

No, no speculation. By definition the monkey is there because Anet decided to put it, a SAB element, there, in a non SAB segment of the game.

Unless you are attempting to claim that it got in there without Anet’s approval or effort?

When I imagine the story without the gag I get something enjoyable.

Taimi's Game

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

No, no speculation. By definition the monkey is there because Anet decided to put it, a SAB element, there, in a non SAB segment of the game.

Unless you are attempting to claim that it got in there without Anet’s approval or effort?

I’m not disputing that anet put it there. I’m disputing that you know for certain that it’s advertising. It may be or it may not, but you don’t know and neither do I.

I’m sorry you didn’t enjoy it. To me it seemed like something Moto would do and gave the story more plausibility.

Taimi's Game

Ashen.2907

I’m not disputing that anet put it there. I’m disputing that you know for certain that it’s advertising. It may be or it may not, but you don’t know and neither do I.

I’m sorry you didn’t enjoy it. To me it seemed like something Moto would do and gave the story more plausibility.

I never said that I know for certain that it was, or was intended as, advertising.

Taimi's Game

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

I never said that I know for certain that it was, or was intended as, advertising.

Not in those words, but…

Advertising a game mode that isnt even available seems like a bad idea.

Aaannyway… getting off topic. Who cares if it’s advertising. It’s a great easter egg and I second the OP’s praise on it.

Taimi's Game

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

I liked the monkey too. To be honest, I liked it here in Taimi’s research area way more than I liked any element of SAB within SAB.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Taimi's Game

Posted by: Lyp Sao.1375

Lyp Sao.1375

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ember_Bay_Portal_Scroll

It’s from the vendor when you first enter EB. Obviously that means you need to get one character into EB before you can obtain it.

I’ve played Taimi’s crazy game (funny). Yesterday I bought the Lava Lounge Pass in the shop and could port my other toons to Ember Bay without Taimi or the portal scroll. Maybe another way (150/1000 gems).

Don’t fight the other ants
Fight the queens

Taimi's Game

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

Thanks.

I did it minutes after release and realized you could turn the flames off.

Taimi's Game

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

My only gripe with the story is if you die, it doesn’t reset the enemies, which means you might end up dying again unless you can get it over to the blue orbs. Also, not too privy on locking zones behind stories.

Might want to check that out.

As for those of you with trouble with it , all you really need to do is move in a circle and keep attacking whatever, and save the blue orb for when there’s too much fire. The only exception is the last boss where you’ll most likely have to dodge.

The random moto insertions were funny though.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Taimi's Game

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

Am I the only one who hates Taimi?
She’s SOOOOO annoying with her ‘’oh look at me, i’m so smart and hohoh look a dragon on my screenboard!!1 yaay.’’
like wtf

Killing Eir and other cool characters but keep these stupid and bad written ones.
OK……..
Meh, -.-’

Wait…they killed Eir!?

Attachments:

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Taimi's Game

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

I am the only one who had NO issues with the Danger Room?
I played on my condi necro and barely went down to 50% health, and only then after I stopped moving and stood there in the fire….
I also noticed the orb fairly quick after the start of the battle and figured it had to do something….

It was fun, but hardly a challenging fight.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Taimi's Game

Ardid.7203

I have some difficulty doing it, mostly because I’m using a very glassy condi build that kills everything… after a time. I still did good, anyway. The Danger Room is fun, and those Moto details were hilarious.

In fact, I remember someone asking for a “survival” mode for GW2, basically a mode were you have to fight increasingly difficult graoups of mobs. Taimi’s Danger Room would be just perfect to implement that in the game.

Hawks

Taimi's Game

Posted by: Dragon.8762

Dragon.8762

I also second having Tami’s game being an extra survival mode adventure. GW1 has something simiular, but you can do it with a guild.

As for the map, it wasn’t hard at all. The blue orb that clears out the lava was very obvious to me after walking over it the first time. The monkey boss does a lot of damage, but can be easily kited. I did it on my Rev, melee only power build, and just avoided him when he grew larger. Kept attacking when he went back to normal size.

Another thing to keep in mind about this instance is that, its supposed to be like, a virtual reality area. Which is pretty much the same thing as SAB, which is also a virtual reality area. Moto created SAB, where as the Rata Novans also created there own (Tami’s game) but never finished it. Tami tried to get it to work, but couldn’t do it so she called in Moto to fix it since hes an expert on such things. Tami left the room for a small bit to let Moto work on it, and while she was gone, Moto added the 8bit monkey in as a joke. Its all explained in the in-game dialog.

The Anet devs added that in there for a few different reasons, but one of them was also to acknowledge that Moto is in deed a real person, and that SAB actually has some lore behide it, and isn’t just some random thing in the world that used to exist. (Until the next April fools)

Taimi's Game

Posted by: Taohaza.4205

Taohaza.4205

Map exploration tied to story is a bit boring. Tami’s game is fun. Can’t believe there are people that hate Taimi – she and Canach is only two characters I care about.

Taimi's Game

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Taimi is one of the main reasons I keep playing the LS.

Taimi's Game

Ardid.7203

Taimi and Canach? Yeah, they are the best npcs in the current group.

Hawks