Tantled Depths

Tantled Depths

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Raven.1524

Raven.1524

I personally enjoy and like this map. The issue, might be on the final meta, which isn’t so hard to complete if only the ppl knew the mechanics.
So I was wondering, would it be better if we had like 10-20 mins to organize the map before the last attack and/or make the event pop every 1 hour inatead of 2?
Since most of the failures came from the lack of practice of every player on the map.
And please…. have the decency to port to a waypoint when you are fully dead on any map.

Tantled Depths

Posted by: Tspatula.9086

Tspatula.9086

It’s a terrible map. way too convoluted, the meta never goes through…. Horrible horrible map.

Tantled Depths

Posted by: saturn.4810

saturn.4810

If you want the meta event every hour, having 20 min preparation time would make all other events hard to fit in. With 20 min of gerent fighting, only 20 min would remain for the regular events.

Unless Anet abandons the fixed meta schedule.

Imo, a schedule like SW would be nice, so players can choose whether they want to do events or meta.

Tantled Depths

Posted by: Boysenberry.1869

Boysenberry.1869

I find virtually all pre-meta events on even unorganized maps are done 20+ minutes before the meta starts. There’s plenty of time to taxi in players and get organized before the 5 minute countdown starts. It’s just that players hate the map/meta and leave once the pre-events are done or they finish their HPs.

Tantled Depths

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

I find virtually all pre-meta events on even unorganized maps are done 20+ minutes before the meta starts. There’s plenty of time to taxi in players and get organized before the 5 minute countdown starts. It’s just that players hate the map/meta and leave once the pre-events are done or they finish their HPs.

All the events are usually pushed and done 30 minutes after the last attempt ends. It is then an hour and a half of afk. Thats why nobody does it.

Tantled Depths

Posted by: Phy.2913

Phy.2913

All the events are usually pushed and done 30 minutes after the last attempt ends. It is then an hour and a half of afk. Thats why nobody does it.

This. The map sits at T4 for about an hour, just repeating the few events after the chains complete. It’s boring.

Tantled Depths

Tspatula.9086

The map sits at T4 for about an hour, just repeating the few events after the chains complete. It’s boring.

Exactly, AND it’s really tedious to learn the layout, and even then getting around the map just is just plain awful. Not surprising that the meta never completes….

Tantled Depths

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

TD takes too long, is unforgiving of the normal open world issues with absolutely needing to coordinate everything, and the map confuses and frustrates a lot of people with its design.

As time goes by, it feels like more and more players are losing patience for the long wait for the Gerent fight and the frequent failures despite full maps and organized commanders that they’re giving up and not even bothering to set up for the final push any longer.

I’m worried about the overall sustainability of this map is it now stands.

Tantled Depths

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

The meta objectives are easy. People complete them all the time.

The problem is that the timer at the end is too short. It only gives us 3 minutes to kill the boss in the final phase, in which it usually has 5% HP remaining at the end.

Tantled Depths

Posted by: Kill.3458

Kill.3458

lol people still complaining about the layout, the map really isnt hard to navigate once youve learned it/attained nuhoch wallows. The problem is how god awful the pre-meta event implementation was, usually after the pre’s end, I afk, look through the forums, grab food, etc. Hell sometimes ill even log off cause it gets so boring. I dont understand why the pre length wasnt more like VB or Auric which are finished reasonably 1-30min before the final meta starts.

Tantled Depths

Posted by: Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

I personally enjoy and like this map. The issue, might be on the final meta, which isn’t so hard to complete if only the ppl knew the mechanics.
So I was wondering, would it be better if we had like 10-20 mins to organize the map before the last attack and/or make the event pop every 1 hour inatead of 2?
Since most of the failures came from the lack of practice of every player on the map.
And please…. have the decency to port to a waypoint when you are fully dead on any map.

I also like the map and think your suggestion have merit. And the ppl never waypointing are a plague on this game.

Tantled Depths

Posted by: dreadicon.5840

dreadicon.5840

I’ve been trying to find a map that will even attempt the meta. Imho, the critical failure is the reward distribution. In VB, there is no difficult/coordinated end meta (no, the canopy bosses don’t count as coordinated). Therefore people do various events getting trickle rewards, and join in on whatever boss has people at it, and everyone profits. Then we have AB, where the meta event takes coordination as well. However, the whole map shuts down during it (as TD should earlier, and additionally shut down HP events for the prep and fight). Moreover, in AB, the only way to get auric dust in any appreciable quantity is to finish the meta. Not to mention cash in on loot for all those events you’ve been doing.

TD has no incentive to coordinate, as there are more than enough crystalized caches to open just from reaching the easy T4. I’ve been in 40 meta events. Only 15 of them even tried to coordinate, and only 6 of them even had a chance of victory (had more than 2 people at all the lanes). of those only 3 got past the first Garant burn, and none of them succeeded.

Either crystalized caches need to be gated behind the meta (like AB is), the event needs nerfed (a cheap, crappy solution, but a solution none the less), or the rewards for making it past the first burn phase need upped substantially, and the meta events need to give little or no map-wide bonuses.

Reducing the time between attempts definitely would help though, as would disabling HP events which presently majorly distract from the meta. But as I still almost never see an organized TD in lfg, I don’t think these alone would be enough.

Tantled Depths

Posted by: bloodytaste.5412

bloodytaste.5412

imo the meta event is way to punishing. 1 Lane fails every other who even did everything fails too. It’s ok to have a challange but not if the meta makes people salty. It makes others be angry at the group that failed… blame them because its pug unfriendly. Anet has to see the numbers of failed attempts and either it has to be tweaked so people learn the machanics faster, or the mechanics itself need to be worked on. Maybe a bit less life for gerent? better scaling?

at least something needs to be done. Because I tend to hate this map time after time after time failing the event because either lack of dps or nuloch spores spawning way to unfrequently, while elite shrooms knock you of the platforms.

Tantled Depths

Posted by: DrMatt.9408

DrMatt.9408

Main issue is nuloch spores – too infrequent and guarded by obnoxious mushrooms that knock people to their death, last run I led on phase 3, people were literally waiting around for spores to spawn while timer ran out, having stomped as many as they could see. There also seems to be scaling issues for the chak hordes that spawn – this is a massive issue for nuhoch as a huge number of chak spawn requiring many people to kill them, distracting them from spores, which already require as many people as possible and are located above the floor on ledges, unlike other lanes where chak and lane mechanics are at same level – all together it’s just too much and the reason nuhoch regularly fails.

And the wait time is far too long – if you fail a run, people are keen to try again until they find out that they have to wait almost 2 hours – it is very tiring for commanders to retrain people everytime because people inevitably leave, especially for nuhoch which requires knowledge of spawns and discipline. The megaserver doesn’t help when mixed language speakers get thrown in randomly together, so some people don’t even know what the kitten I’m saying when I’m trying to explain event.

Event is actually very interesting but needs tweaking especially nuhoch – more spores at 2nd and 3rd phase allowing consistent stomping (some at ground level), lower scaling on chak horde. Chak Gerant health is absolutely fine – doesn’t need nerfed, people should bring decent builds and use food.

(edited by DrMatt.9408)

Tantled Depths

Posted by: demetry.9541

demetry.9541

It’s a terrible map. way too convoluted, the meta never goes through…. Horrible horrible map.

Agreed. And it’s not only about 1 map. All new map have same… limitations. Just Tangled Depths – most horrible.

Looks like Annet dont understand few simple things:

1) Ppl – are not a fish! So… 95% of people feels bad in this place (full vertical 3D). It’s just basic… psychology. It’s even worse than true ocean or sky, because sky or ocean it’s same “full vertical 3D” BUT without maze…. So i think even fish dont like this map.

2) “impressive” – it’s a good key-word for muvie… But… game must be comfortable! It’s a first task! Because we must interact with game, not only look.

3) New map disign looks completely NOT like the original GW2. Such fundamental changes – it’s like selling “hot-dogs” in a “Dunkin’ Donuts”. In this case you can be sure – you lose a lot of customers, in a blink of a eye.

If seriously… i dont think what Annet can do such… “baby-bug”. So… more looks like someone payed them for this… wipe. (if not – they are totaly dumb)

Tantled Depths

DrMatt.9408

I like the map, the design has nothing to do with the main sore point – which is the meta always failing

Tantled Depths

Posted by: Rococo.8347

Rococo.8347

It’s horrible

- not the look of it but the Meta ive yet to see complete, though this is only my second chunk of time to do a couple of Meta’s its also difficult as hell to get around – it took me far longer than I want to admit to find the Dragons passage WP – on a weekend when it should be busy.

In comparison I got into DS the first time today and failed one Meta but got through it fine the second time, AB I got on the second go aswell – TD and DS Meta’s just seem much harder all round, and ive been trained from when I played WoW to have maps of increasing difficulty so it seems strange to me.

Tantled Depths

Tspatula.9086

I like the map, the design has nothing to do with the main sore point – which is the meta always failing

I disagree. Given the same amount of time on the other maps, I have a good sense about how to navigate around and also get to the various lead-up events. TD still has areas I have no clue as to how to get to…

Tantled Depths

Posted by: saturn.4810

saturn.4810

TD still has areas I have no clue as to how to get to…

That’s the awesome thing about TD for me But I suppose not everyone likes labyrinths.

Tantled Depths

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I disagree. Given the same amount of time on the other maps, I have a good sense about how to navigate around and also get to the various lead-up events. TD still has areas I have no clue as to how to get to…

I’ll be creating a guide soon on how to do map completion which will include some tips on navigating. I’ll go out of my way in some cases to show some of the ways, but not all, to navigate the map.

As far as getting into each of the lanes, it’s fairly easy and quick to do if you have access to wallows and/or the WP at the ley-line hub.

Tantled Depths

Posted by: suffish.4150

suffish.4150

While I understand why most people dislike the map (I hated it at first), I have to say, I love tangled depths. It is by far my favourite of the HoT maps. I really like the confusing layout and I also like how there is actually underwater areas there, that’s actually one of the main reasons I like it.
Then there’s the meta. The chak gerent event is my favourite thing I have tried in gw2 so far and I am saying this without having completed it yet in 10+ tries over the last week. It is extremely hard- harder than the triple wurm- and the feeling of tension through the event is perfect. Just a few hours ago I commanded rata novus lane and we killed the boss with less than 10 seconds on the clock, only for ogre lane to fail by about 3%. I was annoyed that we were so close, but I loved the whole experience of it- getting updates from other lanes, reporting on each boss’s health, giving each other advice. Those events are what I love more than anything else in gw2, the ones where it really, really means something to succeed. I would like it if more events this hard and indeed maps this complex are added in future.

PvP- Stronlo Beastmaster (Ranger)
PvE- Grolex (Warrior)
PvP rank: 20 Rating: 1864 (season 7)

Tantled Depths

Tspatula.9086

While I understand why most people dislike the map (I hated it at first), I have to say, I love tangled depths. It is by far my favourite of the HoT maps. I really like the confusing layout and I also like how there is actually underwater areas there, that’s actually one of the main reasons I like it.
Then there’s the meta. The chak gerent event is my favourite thing I have tried in gw2 so far and I am saying this without having completed it yet in 10+ tries over the last week. It is extremely hard- harder than the triple wurm- and the feeling of tension through the event is perfect. Just a few hours ago I commanded rata novus lane and we killed the boss with less than 10 seconds on the clock, only for ogre lane to fail by about 3%. I was annoyed that we were so close, but I loved the whole experience of it- getting updates from other lanes, reporting on each boss’s health, giving each other advice. Those events are what I love more than anything else in gw2, the ones where it really, really means something to succeed. I would like it if more events this hard and indeed maps this complex are added in future.

Totally! Like, I like poking my eyes out with chopsticks, it’s awesome how the difficulty scales once I’ve poked out one eye, then I poke out the other eye and force myself to throw the chopsticks in front of me and make myself have to find them, so I can poke my eyes out again. It’s exciting and rewarding. Well, to be honest, it’s only an idea right now, because it might not be a good idea to repeatedly poke my eyes out with chopsticks…. trying to find a balance between challenge and pointless.

Tantled Depths

Posted by: bloodytaste.5412

bloodytaste.5412

there is a fine difference between hard & punishing. A game should not punish you for mistakes that hard. IT is still a GAME and especially the meta event… Events are usually done in pubs and without orga you can’t even do kitten. And with orga you usually can’t do kitten either. So why bother? People already giving up on it and start complaining. Why? Because the meta is bugged, and its pure RNG and Nuhoch lane for nodules to spawn. The scaling is bad, and you can’t do kitten with a decent DPS team. This is more of a raid content than the spirit vale itself.

So yes it’s nice to have harder events, maps, content… no it’s not nice to get assra*ed by them.

Tantled Depths

DrMatt.9408

If you only knew the reason the majority of organised meta attempts fail you might find the event a little less epic – not enough mushroom spores being stomped in Nuhoch. DPS has nothing to do with it.

Why is this such a problem for nuhoch?

1. Spores difficult to reach from the lane floor itself, being positioned on mushroom platforms above. Some in difficult to see places, that are always missed.
2. Spores guarded by obnoxious mushroom enemies including elites – that knockback people off ledges and detonate OP aoe on death, that must be dodged, which also leads to people falling off ledges.
3. Spores have a very slow spawn rate/number even if mushroom guards are killed, leading to people literally waiting around for spores to spawn while event timer runs out. This is BS – makes people feel like they have tried their best but event fails anyway. If you are angry in other lanes when nuhoch fails – ask yourself how people in nuhoch feel. Other lanes are face roll in comparison.

And this is not all of course
- the chak horde that spawns during stomp phase, distracting people from stomping because OH NOES ENEMIES LEROOOooooooooy
- the fact that destroying the boss breakbar actually makes the fight 10x harder due to OP knockdown abilities limiting dps.
- clear scaling issues when number of players is above 15/16 – could this be responsible for mushroom stomp req being so high?

And then there is the 1.5-2h wait after event fails to try again. Who thought is was a good idea?

Event needs to be tweaked end of – nuhoch fixed, event wait time reduced, chak gerant modified to make destroying break bar actually help rather than make fight harder.

Yours sincerely – long suffering Nuhoch Commander

(edited by DrMatt.9408)

Tantled Depths

Posted by: RustyMech.9876

RustyMech.9876

Love the map, love the events, hate the cycle time. Doing the same events over and over again for 1-1.5 hours is not fun.

Tantled Depths

Posted by: Thagyr.4136

Thagyr.4136

If they had the map cycle on an hours timer like the other maps, barring DS, then it’d be much better.

Tantled Depths

Tspatula.9086

Wow, just tried to get a couple hero points on TD… everything about that map is terrible, just plain terrible. You can even stop to figure out where you are the spawns are sooo OP. Oh and TD is clearly the new meta, tons of condi, tons of immob, tons of burst damage, tons of hp, on mobs, and for sure there has to be a ton of them as well…