in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

In Guild Wars 2, boss taunt you!

Taunt: Thank You

Posted by: Sammuilee.5814

Sammuilee.5814

Hopefully gear with toughness will be actually useful in PvE.

Lazaar.9123

Hopefully gear with toughness will be actually useful in PvE.

They are. As a step ladder.

Posted by: Eolirin.1830

Eolirin.1830

Few things: I think there’s an interesting interaction that no one’s brought up between Taunt and Confusion, if Taunt can force an on demand attack from a mob.

Secondly, a lot of the current pve issues arise from inadequately complex mob behaviors, not so much because of a lack of options for support or control.

Third GW2 has always had a trinity of sorts with Damage, Control, and Support, it’s just that that was never intended to be restricted to one role per character. Everyone is responsible for doing all three. I don’t see that changing, which means all dps groups, if they’re skilled enough, are pretty much guaranteed to be part of the meta; control doesn’t scale with stats and support is more about avoidance, which also doesn’t scale with stats, than strictly about healing. That means a full dps group will control and support close to, if not as well as, other options. Because they’ve sacrificed all defensive and healing stats, they’ll be on razor thin margins if they don’t apply those things perfectly, but the ideal they should be aiming for is to have it so that running more mixed builds will let you complete content that’s too hard for your group otherwise, but full dps in groups that can effectively utilize control and support will clear faster.

This does require that the content actually be hard, so my previous point needs to be resolved, but there’s nothing really wrong with zerker meta, except that everyone can do it. It should be aspirational rather than a requirement.

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

I think you people are really overestimating this. Creatures can also use it against players, all it is, is a new CC. And thus would be ignored by stability and defiance.

“you people” !?!

The people wanting tanks.

Except, taunt will help me make a tank character.

The reason why tank doesn’t work is not because Toughness/Vit sucks, its because there isn’t a reliable way to get enemies to look at me.

Of course, it won’t destroy the zerker meta, but at least my tank character can actually tank.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Lazaar.9123

I think you people are really overestimating this. Creatures can also use it against players, all it is, is a new CC. And thus would be ignored by stability and defiance.

“you people” !?!

The reason why tank doesn’t work is not because Toughness/Vit sucks, its because there isn’t a reliable way to get aggro.

Of course, it won’t destroy the zerker meta, but at least my tank character can actually tank.

Except there is nothing mentioned about agro at all, in fact what it mentioned goes against that. The target goes back to doing anything it wants after the duration ends (which will likely only be a few seconds, if not less), and adds no threat.

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

A lot of people seem to be completely confusing or misreading what was said about how this will work.

“…a Taunted enemy will run toward THEIR target and begin to attack…”

If YOU are NOT the one already targeted by the enemy, then you are not gonna get attacked. This IS NOT an aggro mechanic in any way. It can’t even be mistaken for a psuedo-aggro mechanic. It doesn’t say, “a taunted for will run toward YOU (the caster”. It, very clearly, states the enemy will go toward it’s already selected target. It is a status effect with a similar but opposite mechanic to Fear. Just because you’re targeting the enemy, it does not mean that they are targeting you. In fact, if your trying to roleplay a ‘tank’, then chances are, you’re not being targeted in the first place and using Taunt is only going to send the enemies toward the allies you think you’re going to be gloriously protecting right now. Reading comprehension is crucial to understanding groupings of words… :/

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

“you people” !?!

The reason why tank doesn’t work is not because Toughness/Vit sucks, its because there isn’t a reliable way to get aggro.

Except there is nothing mentioned about agro at all, in fact what it mentioned goes against that. The target goes back to doing anything it wants after the duration ends (which will likely only be a few seconds, if not less), and adds no threat.

I know you hate WoW and everything that’s MMO related, but how many times I have to tell you,

That, taunts in other MMOs also work like that? Taunts in that game, WoW, which you hate so much, only last 1-2 seconds. Are you telling me that’s not Aggro control either now because of the short duration of taunts in that game as well?

Logic must not be your best asset.

Did you forget that I also proved that it doesn’t, because of the fact taunts in other MMOs add threat? Also, how would I hate MMOs if I play one. Remember, forum guidelines are to stay civil.

Threat is an artificial list calculated by the NPC for priority of targeting. Taunts in GW2, hate to break it to you, mr MMO hater, but taunts in Gw2 does in fact make the taunter the primary target on the threat list while taunt is in effect. Just like in every other MMO, which I am sure you hate. Taunts don’t last forever. But of course you wouldn’t know this because, well you hate MMOs.

But glad I could help you enjoy MMOs more.

In other MMORPGs: Taunt skill ADD Threat in an artificial way. They allow characters that deal little damage to generate threat equal (or above) to DPS characters. This means that when the Taunt duration is over, the “Tank” still has more Threat because Threat does not magically disappear when the Taunt ends.

In GW2: While the Taunt is in effect the mob will attack a specific target. There IS NOTHING that will hold the mob on that Target once the Taunt is over. So once Taunt duration is over, the mob will leave the “tank” and attack someone else instead.

Do you understand the difference or I have to make a video?

Well all MMOs don’t handle Taunts the same, but in WoW which I was speaking of before,
The Taunt was a temporary boost to the top of the Aggro list,, meaning if you didn’t do enough threat after the effect ended, a DPS or Healer could easily get defeated. I played enough Vanilla WoW to know that a Taunt alone could not hold threat to tank long term, because it was a temporary effect. Tanks needed more than just taunt to hold threat. Big burst heals, and big burst DPS could easily put somebody else on top of Aggro charts once Taunt faded. They would need an Aggro break or be defeated unless somebody else had a taunt.

Nice try.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

“you people” !?!

I know you hate WoW and everything that’s MMO related, but how many times I have to tell you,

That, taunts in other MMOs also work like that? Taunts in that game, WoW, which you hate so much, only last 1-2 seconds. Are you telling me that’s not Aggro control either now because of the short duration of taunts in that game as well?

Did you forget that I also proved that it doesn’t, because of the fact taunts in other MMOs add threat? Also, how would I hate MMOs if I play one. Remember, forum guidelines are to stay civil.

Threat is an artificial list calculated by the NPC for priority of targeting. Taunts in GW2, hate to break it to you, mr MMO hater, but taunts in Gw2 does in fact make the taunter the primary target on the threat list while taunt is in effect. Just like in every other MMO, which I am sure you hate. Taunts don’t last forever. But of course you wouldn’t know this because, well you hate MMOs.

In other MMORPGs: Taunt skill ADD Threat in an artificial way. They allow characters that deal little damage to generate threat equal (or above) to DPS characters. This means that when the Taunt duration is over, the “Tank” still has more Threat because Threat does not magically disappear when the Taunt ends.

In GW2: While the Taunt is in effect the mob will attack a specific target. There IS NOTHING that will hold the mob on that Target once the Taunt is over. So once Taunt duration is over, the mob will leave the “tank” and attack someone else instead.

Well all MMOs don’t handle Taunts the same, but in WoW which I was speaking of before,
The Taunt was a temporary boost to the top of the Aggro list,, meaning if you didn’t do enough threat after the effect ended, a DPS or Healer could easily get defeated. I played enough Vanilla WoW to know that a Taunt alone could not hold threat to tank long term, because it was a temporary effect. Tanks needed more than just taunt to hold threat. Big burst heals, and big burst DPS could easily put somebody else on top of Aggro charts once Taunt faded. They would need an Aggro break or be defeated unless somebody else had a taunt.

Nice try.

Meaning just a “Taunt” skill isn’t enough to make a tank. So the GW2 taunt will bring you to the top of the threat list for 1 second then the mob will run away.

My point still stands. How is this Taunt going to help with threat? It won’t.

Nice try.

Knighthonor.4061

“you people” !?!

Nice try.

Meaning just a “Taunt” skill isn’t enough to make a tank. So the GW2 taunt will bring you to the top of the threat list for 1 second then the mob will run away.

Nice try.

The same way a Taunt does in other MMOs. By providing a tool for Control of foes.

Super nice try

Knighthonor.4061

A lot of people seem to be completely confusing or misreading what was said about how this will work.

“…a Taunted enemy will run toward THEIR target and begin to attack…”

If YOU are NOT the one already targeted by the enemy, then you are not gonna get attacked. This IS NOT an aggro mechanic in any way. It can’t even be mistaken for a psuedo-aggro mechanic. It doesn’t say, “a taunted for will run toward YOU (the caster”. It, very clearly, states the enemy will go toward it’s already selected target. It is a status effect with a similar but opposite mechanic to Fear. Just because you’re targeting the enemy, it does not mean that they are targeting you. In fact, if your trying to roleplay a ‘tank’, then chances are, you’re not being targeted in the first place and using Taunt is only going to send the enemies toward the allies you think you’re going to be gloriously protecting right now. Reading comprehension is crucial to understanding groupings of words… :/

Taunt will be used to both reposition foes and change your foes’ targets.

maddoctor.2738

“you people” !?!

Nice try.

Nice try.

The same way a Taunt does in other MMOs. By providing a tool for Control of foes.

Super nice try

Let’s see.

If you are a full tanky character in other MMORPGs, you use a Taunt to bring yourself on top of the threat list. In GW2, you force the mob to attack their target (not the caster btw), which means if you are the last one on the threat list you will remain on the bottom list when the the Taunt ends.. In other MMORPGs you go to the top of the list (you said it YOURSELF)

Still very nice try. If you still can’t see the difference maybe I will make a video.

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

“you people” !?!

Nice try.

Nice try.

Super nice try

Let’s see.

If you are a full tanky character in other MMORPGs, you use a Taunt to bring yourself on top of the threat list. In GW2, you force the mob to attack their target (not the caster btw), which means if you are the last one on the threat list you will remain on the bottom list when the the Taunt ends.. In other MMORPGs you go to the top of the list (you said it YOURSELF)

Still very nice try. If you still can’t see the difference maybe I will make a video.

Read:

In other words, you tried too hard over semantics.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

maddoctor.2738

“you people” !?!

Nice try.

Nice try.

Super nice try

Let’s see.

Read:

In other words, you tried too hard over semantics.

So we get both types of Taunts?

Posted by: Eggs.3142

Eggs.3142

Can anyone even confirm that there is no threat mechanic in GW2? I’ve only been playing a little while, but I have never read anything on the subject. There has to be though, right? I mean if Monsters were free to just randomly attack anyone, with just a RNG deciding who they attack you and 3 friends could stand in a triangle around a monster and it should, by all logic, ping pong at random once you all tap it. Right?

I’ve never seen that happen. I’m not a game designer, but it seems like that’s a bad AI decision too. There has to be a threat mechanic we just don’t know it.

maddoctor.2738

Can anyone even confirm that there is no threat mechanic in GW2? I’ve only been playing a little while, but I have never read anything on the subject. There has to be though, right? I mean if Monsters were free to just randomly attack anyone, with just a RNG deciding who they attack you and 3 friends could stand in a triangle around a monster and it should, by all logic, ping pong at random once you all tap it. Right?

I’ve never seen that happen. I’m not a game designer, but it seems like that’s a bad AI decision too. There has to be a threat mechanic we just don’t know it.

Of course there is one:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Aggro

Posted by: Eggs.3142

Eggs.3142

Wow. Thanks. I didn’t know any of that.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

Taunt is a CC, not an aggro mechanic. Re-read it.

The way its implemented is specifically to bust up the murderball formations that trivialize most of the pve content, and give melee specs additional and interesting cc that synergizes with rather than conflicts with their weapon sets.

For example: if you’re running a melee warrior, and you want some interrupt on your utility bar. Well, you could use fear me, but it’s a giant pain in the kitten , as you’re forced to use a mobility skill just to catch back up with the guy you just interrupted. On the flip side, if you’re running a ranged build, fear me has much better synergy as you’re trying to maintain distance. The addition of taunt (AKA Bizarro-fear), allows more build options and better skill synergy.

On top of that, mobs are going to use it on you, and I’d imagine that’s going to be pretty heavily abused by encounter and monster designs to break up the ‘all DPS IN A CORNER’ boring as heck strategy that pervades most of PvE, and moves general PvE in a more fun direction with real interrupts, timed cc saves, and other such fun stuff.

Aggro mechanics are a form of CC. So it’s not wrong to label Taunts a form of Aggro control.
Tanks in all trinity games do the job of CONTROLLING mobs.

for 2 years barely one week has passed without you proposing and demanding things that will turn this game into another, already existing one. For the love of god, why don´t you just play that one instead?

Knighthonor.4061

Taunt is a CC, not an aggro mechanic. Re-read it.

The way its implemented is specifically to bust up the murderball formations that trivialize most of the pve content, and give melee specs additional and interesting cc that synergizes with rather than conflicts with their weapon sets.

For example: if you’re running a melee warrior, and you want some interrupt on your utility bar. Well, you could use fear me, but it’s a giant pain in the kitten , as you’re forced to use a mobility skill just to catch back up with the guy you just interrupted. On the flip side, if you’re running a ranged build, fear me has much better synergy as you’re trying to maintain distance. The addition of taunt (AKA Bizarro-fear), allows more build options and better skill synergy.

On top of that, mobs are going to use it on you, and I’d imagine that’s going to be pretty heavily abused by encounter and monster designs to break up the ‘all DPS IN A CORNER’ boring as heck strategy that pervades most of PvE, and moves general PvE in a more fun direction with real interrupts, timed cc saves, and other such fun stuff.

Aggro mechanics are a form of CC. So it’s not wrong to label Taunts a form of Aggro control.
Tanks in all trinity games do the job of CONTROLLING mobs.

for 2 years barely one week has passed without you proposing and demanding things that will turn this game into another, already existing one. For the love of god, why don´t you just play that one instead?

Well if you hate MMO concepts so much, why dont you stop playing MMOs altogether…

Win/win

Posted by: Shiro Tegachii.5619

Shiro Tegachii.5619

so i guess taunt will work some how like the guardian’s 5th skill on the greatsword, you use it within 600 range and the foe runs to you for 1-3 sec with all he’s skills locked, i hope it wont be too op cuz i dont really like the idea

Posted by: rotten.9753

rotten.9753

Some people just desperately wants to be a unique snowflake. Can’t do anything about that.

Knighthonor.4061

so i guess taunt will work some how like the guardian’s 5th skill on the greatsword, you use it within 600 range and the foe runs to you for 1-3 sec with all he’s skills locked, i hope it wont be too op cuz i dont really like the idea

Well as we can see from that skill you mentioned,

I doubt it will be OPed… ask a Guardian…

lol

Knighthonor.4061

Some people just desperately wants to be a unique snowflake. Can’t do anything about that.

Like I said before. If you hate MMO features, and MMO concepts, than why play MMOs?

Posted by: Shiro Tegachii.5619

Shiro Tegachii.5619

i am a guardian, u need to hit with ur gs 1st and then u can pull the enemy, and it can be really deadly in pvp like in skyhammer taunt is just 1 click and he runs to you, it can insta kill it can save a party member from being stomped it can ruin enemy combo it can pull mobs

Lazaar.9123

maddoctor.2738

Like I said before. If you hate MMO features, and MMO concepts, than why play MMOs?

There is no such thing as MMO features and MMO concepts. They are only different games, there are no specific “rules” for games

rotten.9753

no thanks. but you should post here
http://www.ihatemmorpgs.com/

We found ArenaNet to innovate so Guild Wars 2 is our opportunity question everything, to make a game that defies existing conventions. If you love MMOs, you wanna check Guild Wars 2 and if you hate MMOs, you really wanna check Guild Wars 2.

Any more questions?

Knighthonor.4061

We found ArenaNet to innovate so Guild Wars 2 is our opportunity question everything, to make a game that defies existing conventions. If you love MMOs, you wanna check Guild Wars 2 and if you hate MMOs, you really wanna check Guild Wars 2.

Any more questions?

Well clearly thats not working for you since you hate MMOs.

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Any more questions?

Where did rotten say they hated MMO’s? Or are you strawmanning?

Defiance and encounter design aside, I prefer the way GW2 handles the control aspect.

Control doesn’t mean speccing to increase threat generation like in games where the Trinity is a forced thing; control is solely down to skill usage.

Taunt will merely be another tool in the player’s kitten nal without relying on forced aggro mechanics and passive aggro generation.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Oshelotae.4176

Oshelotae.4176

Yeah, it’s a new CC. The thing to remember is not that GW2 ignores the trinity, or that we’re all DPS, it’s that the trinity is an artificial enforcement of something that is much more fluid realistically, and GW2’s goal is to play it that way.

And it’s not just real life. Before MMOs, did you read any fiction where a warrior could literally force a target to attack him over his party with just a nonmagical word? And he had to because he could take a dragon stepping on him, but the rest of his party would go down if the monsters so much as looked at them funny?

Yes, there are people who can take more hits than other people, and there are people who focus on keeping their allies healthy, but those aren’t hard and fast roles within a system that pretty much has to be run that way or fail. In a real war, there are armored units and medics, but nothing magically forces people to attack the armored units exclusively, and if they managed to ignore them they wouldn’t instantly win.

GW2 isn’t saying that you can’t take more hits or assist your allies. GW2 is about a situation where you’re all in the fight together, and you have to approach each enemy tactically, not with some etiquette that the dragon will only attack the only guy who can take it.

Actually taunting an enemy was a tactic used in real life skirmishes. It was called a distraction. Give the enemy something valuable to attack while you take something even more valuable of theirs. Also in alot of fantasy stuff as well Warriors would not just use magic but also noise to attract the attention of monsters such as banging on shields or pelting the monsters with projectiles.

rotten.9753

Well, I did check Guild Wars 2.

Posted by: Miku Lawrence.6329

Miku Lawrence.6329

“you people” !?!

The reason why tank doesn’t work is not because Toughness/Vit sucks, its because there isn’t a reliable way to get enemies to look at me.

There are variables we aren’t aware of yet.

• Post CC aggro : Will you keep mob’s attention after the CC is over?
  • CC uptime : Will you tank for 5 seconds on a 30 second cooldown?
  • Defiance : As a CC, will it trigger/fail on Defiance?
  • Autoattacks : Will the mobs with no true AA just stand there? You are then not tanking but stunning them.

Now, will defense gear be requiered to make use of the Taunt CC? An elementalist with Obsidian Flesh (invulnerability) is just as good if the Taunt lasts for 5 seconds.

I assume 5 seconds but just like Fear (reversed CC), Taunt will have low uptime and medium to high cooldown.

Snow Crows [SC]