Taunt or how GW2 becomes WoW

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: dennie.9237

dennie.9237

Really? Taunt? What’s with you dev’s? Its not WoW, not L2, its game with unique experience, where we don’t need tank/healer/damage dealer trinity.

Posted by: Turamarth.3248

Turamarth.3248

And how does taunt make those necessary?

Brandar – Kodash [DE]
[SPQR]

Posted by: dennie.9237

dennie.9237

And how does taunt make those necessary?

Its classic tank aggro skill in those mmorpg’s..

Posted by: Genesis.8572

Genesis.8572

Did you also miss the part where mobs will use this against players?

Will Hawkins (Human Guardian)
Feryl Grimsteel (Charr Engineer)
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Just because it shares the name with what WoW’s tanks use doesn’t mean it will operate the same way.

Posted by: Ferever.7014

Ferever.7014

I don’t think its gonna be like standard MMOs taunting where its tank and spank from what I read it can be used to interrupt mobs from doing certain attacks to groups and in PvP it can be used to disrupt backline fighters exposing them to more direct damage. It can be used for position play to like if a mob has a aoe while the group is dpsing it down they can use it to lure it away from the group giving them a few seconds to do what they need to do.

Posted by: KngGilgamesh.3481

KngGilgamesh.3481

Its a CC like the opposite of fear or really slow pull.

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

WoW took best things from other games so if GW2 want to be competitive and good must take something from other games like Dota, LoL new gameplay, archeage gliders and now wow taunt.

Posted by: ShroomOneUp.6913

ShroomOneUp.6913

yes it called taunt but it´s rathe rlike dazed and knock down.
if a mob uses it you either attack something else, MAYBE they can force you to attack players.
as palyers in PvE it means you can use it to swap tempiorarly a mobs attack in case you squeeshy gets bombed, so he can heal up in PvP i means the same jsut against enemy players. they mgiht even attack team mates. BUT the thing is jsut maximum 5 secounds long like dazzed or knock downs.

it not a tank and spank introduction.

Posted by: Tim.6450

Tim.6450

Considering it’s simularities with fear: it will most likely last only 1~3 seconds and will have to pass defiance, so I’m not worrying too much about it.

EverythingOP

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

anything that opens up play from 5 dps specs in a party, is a move in the right direction. if this can make other roles useful, then i’m ok w/ it

Posted by: ShroomOneUp.6913

ShroomOneUp.6913

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dazed
this is dazed a status effect in which you can not move or attack.
taunt will be similar onyl that you run toward an enemy you didnt target and attacl wtih auto attack, meaning you could attack a mob with retaliation which could kill you

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

Really? Taunt? What’s with you dev’s? Its not WoW, not L2, its game with unique experience, where we don’t need tank/healer/damage dealer trinity.

I’m curious, who are you to tell the Anet devs on how to approach their game? I’m really liking this direction, and I can’t wait to hear more. I do hope we see a GW2 soft trinity become more prevalent in gameplay, and I hope the profession masteries are the answer to this.

Calling friends that left the game long ago due to the lack of any trinity esque combat and pointing them towards this blog.

We have no idea what kind of encounters we have coming to HoT, or the direction Anet wants to take their esport/pvp. What we do know is the lack of interest to expand upon the dungeon style meta we see today.

JQ Druid

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Sorry, but Taunt != Aggro mechanics. The best description is that this is reverse fear. Instead of forcing a mob/player to run from you, it forces them to come at you. As an emphasis, it has full functionality on Players. No taunt in any trinity game has had that. Taunt in a trinity game is either worthless against players or maybe incurs some kind of debuff on them. In this case it disables players skills and forces them to come at the taunter. The big aspect, though, is that Mobs will have access to this effect. No other game has given mobs the ability to taunt back.

This is not a trinity mechanic, it’s a cool CC.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

If I could downrate a post, this is where I would.

Posted by: Shanks.2907

Shanks.2907

anything that opens up play from 5 dps specs in a party, is a move in the right direction. if this can make other roles useful, then i’m ok w/ it

It’s not like what you’re thinking. It’s just another type of CC. It’s not going to be like a typical taunt from other MMOs to tank with. First, there’s just not going to be a ton of access to it in skills to hold “aggro”. Second, in dungeons the bosses have defiance that negates CC. It will never take the place of Deep Freeze on the ice bow.

Not to burst any bubbles, well yeah I guess I am. Nothing will change in dungeons.

Posted by: Jokubas.4265

Jokubas.4265

It was probably a really bad idea to call this Taunt. Provoke, at the very least, would have incited less direct comparisons. Speaking of, maybe calling this Incite would have been better.

I appreciate the thought of using a word for its literal definition than for its industry expectation, but it may not have been the best idea. Based on the description, this is a positioning ability, not an aggro ability, and positioning is something that perfectly fits Guild Wars 2’s current combat system.

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Like I said before.
WoW hatred is unhealthy for MMO communities.

Example here. OP saw the word Taunt, and automatically went into Anti-WoW mode and forgot to actually read the description.

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

It’s not like what you’re thinking. It’s just another type of CC. It’s not going to be like a typical taunt from other MMOs to tank with. First, there’s just not going to be a ton of access to it in skills to hold “aggro”. Second, in dungeons the bosses have defiance that negates CC. It will never take the place of Deep Freeze on the ice bow.

Not to burst any bubbles, well yeah I guess I am. Nothing will change in dungeons.

and probably why we’re not seeing any emphasis on the old dungeons of release, or hearing anything about new ones. Taunt is a form of cc in other mmo’s, I’ve played hot potato many of times.

not to burst your bubble but assuming Anet is working HoT around content like dungeons is quite a lot to assume. I also don’t think Anet will ever go towards a hard trinity like WoW, but I can see them breaking away from the current meta mold.

Not to worry though meta dungeon runners will always have their dungeons from release to zerker in.

JQ Druid

(edited by Wetpaw.3487)

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

Not that i want trinity either, just all dps is kinda zzzz…..

but a man can dream… a man can dream…

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

ha, saw this thread coming a mile away.

taunt is just fear, but backwards. it’ll be 3 seconds at most, and all the defiant/stability/stunbreak stuff will still work on it.

GW2 isn’t fond of long disables, or of stunlocking the AI, you should know that.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

Knighthonor.4061

Sorry, but Taunt != Aggro mechanics. The best description is that this is reverse fear. Instead of forcing a mob/player to run from you, it forces them to come at you. As an emphasis, it has full functionality on Players. No taunt in any trinity game has had that. Taunt in a trinity game is either worthless against players or maybe incurs some kind of debuff on them. In this case it disables players skills and forces them to come at the taunter. The big aspect, though, is that Mobs will have access to this effect. No other game has given mobs the ability to taunt back.

Actually Cleric’s taunt in Rift, which is a trinity game, can do that.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I like Jokubas’ idea of calling it Incite. That’s a very nice word. Though perhaps Provoke will be easier to spell for many …. I foresee people calling it Insight, alas.

Perhaps that’s in the realm of things changeable based on feedback during beta?

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Actually Cleric’s taunt in Rift, which is a trinity game, can do that.

With so many games I knew it wouldn’t be a 100% accurate statement, and that someone would nitpick it. So, in Rift is it a state that can be made effectively permanent by a single player, or does it run out pretty fast and is only good for momentary control?

Since RIFT is a trinity game, as you say, I’m going to assume the former. This isn’t and that’s not how these effects work in this game, so it’ll be the later.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Scientia.8924

Scientia.8924

looking forward to Taunt’ing Lupi and getting the party wiped

What if HoT turns out to be the Mordrem Invasion event, x100?

Posted by: Moldur.6275

Moldur.6275

So you’re yet one of those who think it is an aggro skill…What can I say, except questioning your ability to read.

IT IS A CC SKILL kitten

Posted by: Acheron.4576

Acheron.4576

taunt seems to behave more like berserk does in the final fantasy games which is a neat mechanic i would like to see implemented in a mmo.

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

The way they describe taunt it sounds like inverse fear. It’s not going to reset the aggro of a mob per se. It will probably last no more than 3-5 seconds with max condi duration and the mob can immediately turn it’s attention on another player once its over. Not to mention defiant will put a hindrance on it.

Threads like this are just a knee jerk reaction I suppose it so be expected.

BrunoBRS.5178

The way they describe taunt it sounds like inverse fear. It’s not going to reset the aggro of a mob per se. It will probably last no more than 3-5 seconds with max condi duration and the mob can immediately turn it’s attention on another player once its over. Not to mention defiant will put a hindrance on it.

it’s a stun, not a condition. Roy confirmed on twitter that it’s basically a backwards fear, so the duration would be 3s tops, and since it’s a stun, you can break it with stun breaks, or outright ignore it if you have stability (or if you’re a champion mob with defiant stacks)

Posted by: evilunderling.9265

evilunderling.9265

Please note that Taunt isn’t a new thing in GW2. It’s from a champion event in the Brisban Wildlands and you can see it in action there already.

Unless I’m mistaken, this type of effect would ordinarily be called a ‘seduce’ in generic MMO jargon, rather than a taunt. In that sense, it’s probably more thematically appropriate to mesmers, necromancers, and rangers.

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

it’s a stun, not a condition. Roy confirmed on twitter that it’s basically a backwards fear, so the duration would be 3s tops, and since it’s a stun, you can break it with stun breaks, or outright ignore it if you have stability (or if you’re a champion mob with defiant stacks)

Oh man, Terror now causes Taunt to do damage,more damage if your foe is AAing, Necro Style:Retaliation!!!

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

BrunoBRS.5178

Oh man, Terror now causes Taunt to do damage,more damage if your foe is AAing, Necro Style:Retaliation!!!

i said basically, not literally :P can necros even retal?

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

i said basically, not literally :P can necros even retal?

Axe 3

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I really, STRONGLY hope they change the name to “Provoke”.

“Taunt” might be technically more accurate, but in many MMOs that word means something specific. So using it here has a result of less accuracy, not more.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Xenon.4537

Fear is both a stun and a condition. Additionally, Fear is affected by condi duration, not stun duration. It’s basically a condition that can be stunbroken. There’s no reason to assume Taunt is just a stun until proven otherwise. I was just speculating based on what I read. And I never said you couldn’t stunbreak it. I basically said exactly what you “corrected” me saying lol. Taunt sounds like the same exact thing as fear, including it being a condition, including it being stunbreakable. The only difference is which direction your avatar runs.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Is the sky falling again?

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Twonineone.3490

Twonineone.3490

What concerns me more is that in this expansion will be implemented the “taunt”, which can be associated with the new Revenant ability to take a lot of damage, and the “healer” which will be the only one who can ress people from death (as we know from the PAX event).

You people say that “taunt” doesn’t mean that the holy trinity will be implemented again… Well I don’t know… I say that just listening about “taunt” and “healer” make me tremble…

Nike.2631

If your hand isn’t shaking too badly I recommend going to the new article and reading what “taunt” actually does…

Knighthonor.4061

Read the description people

Taunt will be used to both reposition foes and change your foes’ targets

So it also effects who the enemy will target. Not just a pull.

Nike.2631

Stun also affects my enemy’s target – it sets it to “nobody”.

Have you seen how short fears are in this game? The laughable uptimes? I’m not expecting significantly more out of the inverse-fear.

Knighthonor.4061

I really, STRONGLY hope they change the name to “Provoke”.

“Taunt” might be technically more accurate, but in many MMOs that word means something specific. So using it here has a result of less accuracy, not more.

I disagree.
This argument seem like another one of those “Hey don’t name this holy knight class, Paladin, because other MMOs have Paladins, even if its similar” type arguments, and it’s a bad argument.

Many games have taunts, and they all don’t work the same way. Rift has many different taunt skills that function unique to the soul. Some similar, others unique.
Warhammer also had taunts that functioned differently from other games.

So please stop with the “this need a new name because it shares the same name as something another game has” arguments…

Knighthonor.4061

Stun also affects my enemy’s target – it sets it to “nobody”.

Have you seen how short fears are in this game? The laughable uptimes? I’m not expecting significantly more out of the inverse-fear.

Denial may just be heathy for you.
So keep believing that if you want. Anet explained the effect in the blog. No point arguing with you about that part.

Like I said, denial may just be what you need to absorb all this new info in.

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

First let’s establish that WoW is NOT the first game with the “Taunt” ability, nor shall it be the last.

Secondly, it’s a form of crowd control, not the end of the world.

Lastly, this game is FAR from anything close to WoW: Abilities that don’t need targets (i.e. read as real projectiles, location based, semi-action style). A skill bar that actually involves skill building and management instead of face rolling a keyboard over 30+ skills on 4-6 different action bars. Mobs that are shared in credit. Quests that are regional and area specific rather than just NPC directed. Level scaling within zones. Legit world siege PvP instead of ….whatever they keep on trying since WotLK.

Knighthonor.4061

First let’s establish that WoW is NOT the first game with the “Taunt” ability, nor shall it be the last.

Secondly, it’s a form of crowd control, not the end of the world.

Lastly, this game is FAR from anything close to WoW: Abilities that don’t need targets (i.e. read as real projectiles, location based, semi-action style). A skill bar that actually involves skill building and management instead of face rolling a keyboard over 30+ skills on 4-6 different action bars. Mobs that are shared in credit. Quests that are regional and area specific rather than just NPC directed. Level scaling within zones. Legit world siege PvP instead of ….whatever they keep on trying since WotLK.

Like I said,

“WoW hatred is not healthy for a MMO community of any MMO.”

Posted by: evilunderling.9265

evilunderling.9265

For reference, ‘Provoke’ is one of several things MMOs call their force-taunts whenever they don’t want to call them force-taunts. As I already said, the closest thing to a proper term for this class of effect in generic MMO jargon is ‘seduce’.

There’s no reason to assume Taunt is just a stun until proven otherwise.

Taunt is already in the game and is not a condition.

Xenon.4537

Read the description people

Taunt will be used to both reposition foes and change your foes’ targets

So it also effects who the enemy will target. Not just a pull.

It changes their target while under the effects of Taunt. Says nothing about the mob’s behavior once it wears off. Do you continue running away from Necromancers when their Fear wears off on you?

BrunoBRS.5178

Fear is both a stun and a condition. Additionally, Fear is affected by condi duration, not stun duration. It’s basically a condition that can be stunbroken. There’s no reason to assume Taunt is just a stun until proven otherwise. I was just speculating based on what I read. And I never said you couldn’t stunbreak it. I basically said exactly what you “corrected” me saying lol. Taunt sounds like the same exact thing as fear, including it being a condition, including it being stunbreakable. The only difference is which direction your avatar runs.

read the blog. they file taunt under “status effect”, whereas slow is filed under “condition”. i’m pretty sure that settles that taunt won’t qualify as a condition.

Nike.2631

Very nice. I’m gonna have to do some tests with that critter .

And a 2 second duration. Wow… almost exactly what I was expecting.

Xenon.4537

For reference, ‘Provoke’ is one of several things MMOs call their force-taunts whenever they don’t want to call them force-taunts. As I already said, the closest thing to a proper term for this class of effect in generic MMO jargon is ‘seduce’.

There’s no reason to assume Taunt is just a stun until proven otherwise.

Very interesting. I stand corrected. Here is my badge and gun. I shall go sit in the corner now.

Posted by: Chameleon Dude.1564

Chameleon Dude.1564

I didn’t see anything that screamed “WoW” at me. If anything, it screamed "Axe (from Dota).