That one mushroom HP in Tangled Depths?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: TwiceDead.1963

TwiceDead.1963

Edit:
If you’re not interested in reading rants, feel free to skip this one… Thought It’d let you guys know so you don’t waste your time.
———————————————————————————————

That one Mushroom HP that forces everyone to fight in a narrow chokepoint with nowhere to dodge , run or hide, while it spits AoE of death on you and everyone inside the chokepoint?

GW2 has NEVER been a game about face-tanking damage, it’s always been about positioning, dodging and timely use of utility abilities. If you try facetanking, it’s downright lethal no matter what you run.

But when you try this HP, you have no choice but to facetank! You cannot possibly avoid the damage thrown at you unless you are fortunate enough to have enough meatshields tank the damage for you! You are funneled into a narrow hallway with the only way to dodge being backwards, and you can only go so far.

… Who was the mastermind behind this HP? Because it is by far, the WORST HP in the game, and not because the monster itself is hard, but because of the positioning of it. It’s ridiculous.

No, the Vampire HP in Verdant Brink is not worse, you can solo it with some positioning and knowledge of it’s attacks. I have done it. This one though? There’s no way you can keep track of the AoE fields, the tiny grenade mushrooms camouflaged into the ground effects, and the mushroom queens own attacks.

To my knowledge, every HP is solo-able in HoT with enough effort and knowledge of the boss you fight, I have managed to solo all of em at least ONCE by throwing myself at the wall, until I beat it by a margin and lucked out… Except for this one, there’s no way!

(edited by TwiceDead.1963)

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Meh … that HP sucks but it’s like it is unique in that respect. GW2 is just not the game to play if you want well designed fights.

TwiceDead.1963

… That is sad ._.

Posted by: nagr.1593

nagr.1593

Why do you need that hp anyway? If u don’t wanna do it then skip it there are tons of easier hps to do.. even some that are easily soloable once u get some practice

If you’re going for map completion on all those maguuma maps for legendary crafting or something, then yeah I agree it’s a problem but honestly just join a hp train cos that’s how I got mine

Arun Kar

TwiceDead.1963

Why do you need that hp anyway? If u don’t wanna do it then skip it there are tons of easier hps to do.. even some that are easily soloable once u get some practice

If you’re going for map completion on all those maguuma maps for legendary crafting or something, then yeah I agree it’s a problem but honestly just join a hp train cos that’s how I got mine

I agree, they are all easily soloable… Most of em’ anyway, some are a bit tricky, but not unbeatable.

THIS ONE THOUGH!? kittening impossible! I banish beasts, I can smite dragons! But shrooms? kittenING INVINCIBLE! Mordremoth and Zhaitan’s got NOTHING on this thing!

As for why I do it?
I did mention that I have a tendency to throw myself at a wall until either it or I break, I guess that makes me a masochist. I’m stubborn and I want to win alright?! I accept the challenge as long as the challenge is fair! I actually enjoy soloing kitten merely for the challenge itself!

I don’t actually grind for gear in this game. I do the events I enjoy and have some fun with the gameplay, I’ll gain a profit merely by playing anyway, not quickly mind you, but over time it accumulates. Shortly put, I do it because I enjoy the challenge and so that I can pat myself on the shoulder for soloing kitten other people have troubles with, and that also makes me more familiar with the fights so that I can help other people in the future.

Posted by: Black Iris Flowers.3418

Black Iris Flowers.3418

Pride of achievements. But, as far as map completion goes, you could get it from the heroics notary

Posted by: zoomborg.9462

zoomborg.9462

I actually managed to solo it…on viper necro ofc and still was nerve wracking.I’m not doing that kitten again.

TwiceDead.1963

I wish I had 1000 Health/sec regeneration as well… Sadly, most of the time I am either a scrubby Thief, or an Engineer, a Mesmer, an Elemetalist or a Guardian.

The remaining 4 classes don’t interest me much, but I do have a Viper Necro as well, and good god… They are so chill.

Posted by: AliamRationem.5172

AliamRationem.5172

Impossible? I doubt that. I’ve never fully solo’d the mushroom queen, but I can usually sustain indefinitely against her on my thief while others run back from the waypoint to lend some damage.

So, if I bring my “A” game she should be doable. But it would just take forever because I can’t fight her at close range and thief range damage isn’t all that great to begin with. I imagine a ranged class using condi and a lot of survivability would have the best shot at it (necro, probably) in any reasonable amount of time.

But why solo it? Just bring a friend or two and build for survival.

Khisanth.2948

You do not have forever though. These all have a time limit.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

It’s soloable. Did it several times with different classes. Yes, it’s a bit of annoying if you die, but not worth a post in this forum. With the correct weapons you can pull them separately btw.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Khisanth.2948

It’s soloable. Did it several times with different classes. Yes, it’s a bit of annoying if you die, but not worth a post in this forum. With the correct weapons you can pull them separately btw.

Them? OP said “it”. You seem to be thinking of the wrong HP. Your description sounds like Mushroom Spore Cloud at the end of Beetle Feast. For that one fighting isn’t even necessary.

ProtoGunner.4953

Ah, now I get it. He means the Mushroom Queen? Just lfg/post in map chat, problem solved…

‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: meeflak.9714

meeflak.9714

Get a group and all will be good. Also, if you kite it outside of its little cove you can jump on top of the ledges around you to get more room to fight

All professions lvl 80. x2 elementalist
main Druid ~~Adalyn Del Rayna~~ [SIGH]
[Ehmry Bay]

TwiceDead.1963

Get a group and all will be good. Also, if you kite it outside of its little cove you can jump on top of the ledges around you to get more room to fight

Getting a group is what I have been doing, how else would I beat it? I am clearly stating that I can’t solo it, but all of that is irrelevant as not being able to beat it is not the point!

I WANT TO SOLO IT! I want to shove it’s ugly head into the ground and rip it’s legs off while force-feeding them back into whatever hole I can carve into it, as I for sure can’t find a mouth!

But that’s not happening. My pride is forever tarnished by the fact that I haven’t managed to solo this Mushroom in a fair fight! It’s like whenever I look at it now, it taunts me! It’s like it’s saying “Oh, you’re back for another kitten -whooping are you? YAWN, Well come on over and reveive your spanking from mushroom dearest!” and it kittenes me off to no end! ONE DAY I’LL GET MY REVENGE, YOU!

… But I didn’t really consider trying to get ontop of the ledges, especially the one on the right side does seem to be roomy enough to carry a suspended battle, as the ledge of the left is either a wall or a forest of mushrooms, if I can get the queen up there that is.

ProtoGunner.4953

Chill, it’s an MMO, you can’t solo everything. It’s their rules. Not yours. Or do you decide in real life to decide you don’t want to breathe? Life is harsh and you have to bend to rules…

‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: HnRkLnXqZ.1870

HnRkLnXqZ.1870

I like the jumping puzzle in that area, so when I go to TD I usually pay this place a visit. My experiences with that HP so far:

A necromancer or thief appears at the HP, preparing for battle. I jump off my mushroom and ask them to kindly wait for more people, as that fight is not easy at all. I clrearly point out that we need three people minimum. After a little chatter the guy usually ignores my warnings. “Let me show you how to do that, you coward.”

I return to the JP, but keep the guy in target. Regular players take 10-20 seconds to die, some glascannons dont even survive 3 seconds at all. Then I either ressurect them or they wp back to rata (what is the usual case). After a few minutes, the guy is back. Shocked that the mushroom is really that strong, he asks me if I could lend him a hand. I decline and try to persuade again, three people minimum or it is pointless.

Then I have to listen to some reasoning, like he has to GET THIS HP NOW. It is the only one missing and blablablablablabla. Simply it is of utmost importance that he gets the HP within the next 3 minutes, or the earth as I know it will end. Usually I agree to fight, although I’m totally aware of my soon death.

This time we survive arround 30 seconds with ease and a little more with trouble. We get the boss down to about 60 % HP. That is usually the point where the other guy gets downed for the 4th time in a row, my health is below 2k, I already have 3 conditions on me, I’m crippled and all my blastfinishers are on cooldown. Then I have to make the decision, run or die. Not a hard decision if you ask me, but some people are like “We could have killed him if you did not run away!” Which is just not the case. But it has to be someones fault alone.

Sometimes the guy not returns. His family honor is runied for centuries now, as he was not able to get this hero point. Silently he decides to jump on the next HP train he sees on map chat. If they ever return to this map, which already is the greatest pile of … ANet ever created – the usual stuff ^^.

Some of the guys return a last time. Meanwhile I have completed the JP at least once. I jump down again and try to reason, that we do need three people. By that time, usually anoter person or two appears and wants to start the game as well. We can hardly persuade him not to solo it XD.

Before the fight starts, I send the guys some buff food, which enhances endurance regeneration and grants might on dodge. Most of the time I get it back with the reason “food does not help.” Fine for me, it is expensive anyway. We go into battle and succeed. It is a tough battle still, even with three people. But you have a good chance to beat it without someone dying. If one of the guys is a glasscannon, who does not want to go ranged, you have one corpse at the end :S.

Ofcourse it is possible to solo this thing … somehow … I guess. But I know my limits. And that supid time-limit ruins my chances to solo any HP in HoT anyway. I have my three people rule for this boss ^^.

dulfy-effect: Knowledge is power. But without fame, you are just a freak.

(edited by HnRkLnXqZ.1870)

TwiceDead.1963

Chill, it’s an MMO, you can’t solo everything. It’s their rules. Not yours. Or do you decide in real life to decide you don’t want to breathe? Life is harsh and you have to bend to rules…

I bend the rules to suit my needs, not the other way around. Only the weak succumb!

@HnRkLnXqZ
That was a good read, thanks for sharing.
Also, that is one hell of a username.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Meh … that HP sucks but it’s like it is unique in that respect. GW2 is just not the game to play if you want well designed fights.

Considering the combat system is probably GW2’s strongest point, that’s really depressing. But yeah, encounter design is one of GW2’s weakest points, which is even more depressing. And it’s not just the HPs, but even some of the basic enemies that just aren’t designed well.

OP nails it with his assessment, though. Huge AoE bombs in a small corridor on a champ is a sign the devs rub their hands going “huehuehue” whenever they put things like this in. The one time I recall doing it (I hate TD, so I don’t go there much), it was me and two others. We pulled the queen out a bit to the broader area of the corridor, giving just a bit of room to dodge and flank. Ended with the other two downing/defeated and me scraping by on a thief. Lots of distractions with Thieves Guild and Ambush.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Incognito.3529

Incognito.3529

To my knowledge, every HP is solo-able in HoT with enough effort and knowledge of the boss you fight, I have managed to solo all of em at least ONCE by throwing myself at the wall, until I beat it by a margin and lucked out… Except for this one, there’s no way!

Was killed solo by me after lots of attempts. ~40 minutes

Hard, but not impossible.

TwiceDead.1963

Was killed solo by me after lots of attempts. ~40 minutes

Hard, but not impossible.

So I’ve heard and so I believe.

Khisanth.2948

Considering the combat system is probably GW2’s strongest point, that’s really depressing. But yeah, encounter design is one of GW2’s weakest points, which is even more depressing. And it’s not just the HPs, but even some of the basic enemies that just aren’t designed well.

OP nails it with his assessment, though. Huge AoE bombs in a small corridor on a champ is a sign the devs rub their hands going “huehuehue” whenever they put things like this in. The one time I recall doing it (I hate TD, so I don’t go there much), it was me and two others. We pulled the queen out a bit to the broader area of the corridor, giving just a bit of room to dodge and flank. Ended with the other two downing/defeated and me scraping by on a thief. Lots of distractions with Thieves Guild and Ambush.

I don’t remember if it has a charge or dash skill but many mushrooms do and pulling it out would be risky if it did. It could use its own skill and trigger its own leash mechanic. That is another thing that is extremely annoying with combat in this game where a mob will trigger its own leash and then just heals back to full health. Actually ran into that with a champion coalescence in EB the other day. What was even worse is that this occur while neither player was moving and it was still withing 600-900 range of the mob’s spawn.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

say your going to do it in map chat, and you’ll find people to help you, you can also pull it away from where it spawns so you have more room.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Wargameur.6950

Wargameur.6950

Buy 4 computers, and 4 HoT editions. Log in with 4 characters you control and do the hp.
You kill the boss with 4 character you control ALONE. I think 4 p/p thieves with venom share and thief guild is the best. That’s 12 people with no scaling.

you are happy, Anet is happy (thanks to your generous donation ), everyone is happy !

main ~ Esper Jace (Thief )/ Ellundril Jiluan
(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]