The Arena Wait Time and GvG

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: benjenx.6427

benjenx.6427

So I want to start my wall of text by saying thank you to Anet. Thank you for noticing and dedicating development time to supporting the GvG community with this feature (small note, for now and the rest of my post, the GvG i am referring to is the current 15v or 20v deathmatch, not the Gw1 GvG of old). I really do mean that. This feature should allow our community to flourish and grow, increasing both the competitiveness in large scale Gw2 pvp combat, but also should help WvW by reducing the constant transferring of a chunk of the WvW population in order to pursue the fights we enjoy. I’m also excited about the bigger arena that is in development, and I appreciate that it seems like there will be continuing development in this area. I look forward to working cordially with Anet on this.

However, I am worried about the accessibility of Arenas for many WvW guilds. I am a member of [BMO] Adventurethyme currently located on Crystal Desert, one of the guilds in the “GvG Scene.” I have been involved in GvG/WvWraiding guilds for about 2 years now. And I think that this two-month delay really will hamper much of the enthusiasm for this feature.

Currently, many of the players who have engaged in GvG in the past are on hiatus, waiting for HoT, and watching to see how guild halls effect the scene. Many of these players have been involved for almost 3 years, found the Obsidian Sanctum a godsend, and have been active in feedback and the online community to try to facilitate a better, more healthy GvG scene. Many players are waiting to buy HoT until they see that the arenas work and are effective. If the arenas are so heavily timegated, then many of these players that would return will probably skip buying the expansion, and in the two months that it takes to unlock these arenas, these players may not see what they want, and may forget about the game entirely.

In addition, while many guilds remain for longer periods of time, the typical lifetime of a GvG guild is about 5-6 months. If for the first third of their existence new guilds are unable to fully participate in this system, and can only play against guilds who have been together for at least two months, or borrow time in an arena of another guild. This heavily impacts the accessibility of GvG, as new guilds will have a very hard time starting and sticking.

Also, GvG guilds, and many of the smaller WvW guilds in general, will have big problems producing these guild halls. Most PvE guilds tend to have tiers of involvement, with some number of players on every day for many hours, bulges in population during NA (or EU) Prime-time, with guild members mostly doing their own things, aside from organized guild events (Teq, TTW, Guild missions, champ trains, etc.) This allows guilds that have players that rep and hang out for several hours a day to rake in influence, and often times those players accumulate in game wealth through many of the ways PvE offers.

Most GvG guilds, however, are smaller, and often spend much of their time in WvW, seeking out fights in openfield, or GvGing in Obsidian Sanctum. In most cases, a given guild’s population trickles in, to whatever the guild’s size is peaking at the guilds scheduled raid time. Then, the raid lasts for 2-4 hours, and then most of the players go to bed.

It may seem frivolous to talk about guild schedules and attendance for bigger guilds, but most of the guilds who would utilize the arenas regularly, and specifically for this team deathmatch functionality, have a HUGE disadvantage in producing a guild arena. WvW isn’t very rewarding in gold, and GvG is even less so, which is fine as that’s not the purpose of those game modes, but buying influence to speed the guild hall requires huge amounts of in game gold and influence, which most of the guilds for whom this arena is targeted are sorely lacking.

A combination of these factors may lead to a diminishing and eventual disappearance of the community that all of this development time and effort (which I say again is MUCH appreciated) was intended to benefit. And that is not an ideal situation for anyone involved, game designers or players.

Now, I am DEFINITELY not saying that these arenas should be free and on demand at 12:01 pm PST on launch day. There absolutely SHOULD be effort expended in getting these arenas, and that is an important thing for the implementation of Guild Halls. I get that. I’m just worried about the scale of this SPECIFIC time for this SPECIFIC area of the Guild Halls and unintended consequences occurring.

In terms of constructive ideas, maybe make WvW kills or location captures a way to speed up the process somewhat. Or perhaps have competitions in a neutral guild hall with guild arenas as the reward. I am not a game designer, so my ideas may be stupid, but I have faith in both Anet and the community to come up with a smart solution that makes having a guild arena an achievement for any guild that has one, but is not un-achievable for many guilds who DESPERATELY want them.

tl;dr : I think that a long timegate on Guild Arenas will make them ineffective at addressing some of the concerns of players who are pushing for them the hardest, and I hope that we can find a smart way to address this before the expansion drops. Hopefully we can get a feedback thread started for ideas.

Posted by: funassistant.6589

funassistant.6589

You can let other people into your own GH right?

Create both a EU/NA GvG Guild with all of the active population of GvG’ers in it.

Together all 500 (max) of them go do the kitten as fast as possible together to fund a Arena for that region. While your own little 30-roster does your own hall at a slower pace.

Pretty sure we can pull it off?

Team Africa [TA]
European Overlord

benjenx.6427

Yeah, that could work in the short term, but in about 3 days there would be too much competition for play time. Typically, there are 5-6 gvgs that go on across all the tiers during NA prime simultaneously right now, and with a bigger, healthier scene, having only one arena, with OS and BLs for overflows probably isn’t a viable solution.

Posted by: Polismassa.6740

Polismassa.6740

I can understand a wait time, a few weeks, even a month maybe, but two months is pretty insane actually. I think that they should keep the “9 months for the entire guild hall” thing, because it makes a full hall feel like an actual goal to work towards, but make it possible to go for certain things first. If a guild wants only an arena, they should be able to prioritize that and get it fairly quickly.

It feels like they are touting “customization” but they really only give us cosmetic customization, we have no real control over what order in which we upgrade our guild hall, which is really far more important.

[IX]

Posted by: Wolfar.6508

Wolfar.6508

I was completely under the impression that the arenas would be unlocked straight away once you claim your guild hall. I was really hyped until Colin mentioned that you would need two months to even get access to the arena.

I am really hoping that they will rethink this decision as OP explained perfectly.

Wolfineer.com - Everything Engineer!

Posted by: soxfan.3189

soxfan.3189

Well said OP.
I would also like to add that I’m concerned with just being able to watch other guilds GvG. Right now I often just chill in OS talking on Team Speak while watching other guilds GvG, analyze what they are doing making mental notes on if they are doing anything innovate and how well it works ect.

Posted by: Celtus.8456

Celtus.8456

Guild Hall Arenas!! Coming soon to the gem store!

I assumed they would be unlocked at release too. As these were one of the few features I am looking forward to. Also PvP leagues/leaderboard, what are the odds that will be up and running on day 1?

Josre
Zulu Ox Tactics [zulu]

Posted by: ColinJohanson.2394

ColinJohanson.2394

Game Director

tl;dr : I think that a long timegate on Guild Arenas will make them ineffective at addressing some of the concerns of players who are pushing for them the hardest, and I hope that we can find a smart way to address this before the expansion drops. Hopefully we can get a feedback thread started for ideas.

Really great feedback Benjenx – just want to take a moment and point out this exactly how feedback is best phrased. It’s constructive, thoughtful, and makes great points. This is exactly the kind of feedback we spend our time focusing on reading and listening to – so thank you!

In regards to the time line for the Arena – we discussed as a team and ultimately agree it’s important this building be available early for guilds who really want to acquire it. The base arena building will be available within about two weeks of time after launch (based on aetherium and favor requirements) as long as the guild gets enough gold/materials/etc. acquired from game-play in that two week time to build the building. [TLDR; the fastest any guild could build the building will be about two weeks]

Thanks again for the feedback – we hope you enjoy the arena as much as we do!

Posted by: BrickFurious.7169

BrickFurious.7169

Fantastic news and a great decision, thanks Colin.

Posted by: witcher.3197

witcher.3197

Really great feedback Benjenx – just want to take a moment and point out this exactly how feedback is best phrased. It’s constructive, thoughtful, and makes great points. This is exactly the kind of feedback we spend our time focusing on reading and listening to – so thank you!

In regards to the time line for the Arena – we discussed as a team and ultimately agree it’s important this building be available early for guilds who really want to acquire it. The base arena building will be available within about two weeks of time after launch (based on aetherium and favor requirements) as long as the guild gets enough gold/materials/etc. acquired from game-play in that two week time to build the building. [TLDR; the fastest any guild could build the building will be about two weeks]

Great change, but please add an option for officers to toggle on/off PvP mode in the GH, which means in the GH you could make your Pvp gear take effect for the sake of using it in the Arena.

Currently you are excluding your entire sPvP playerbase from using the Arena! I’m begging you please consider this option.

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Yay!

Posted by: Caliburn.1845

Caliburn.1845

Thanks Colin, this is a great change.

Caliburn.1845, Monsters Inc.
Darkhaven>Dragonbrand>Blackgate>Maguuma>Yaks Bend>Stormbluff Isle>Yaks Bend

Posted by: Pumpkin.5169

Pumpkin.5169

Thank you Colin/ANet, our faith has been restored.

Pumpkin – Mag

Posted by: funassistant.6589

funassistant.6589

It’s ok to finally be hyped about HoT now?

R-r-r-right guys?

Team Africa [TA]
European Overlord

Posted by: ades.1386

ades.1386

Thanks [BMO]!!

myself also being a heavy GvGr, by limiting us to a 2 month grind of building this arena we would of once again turned the tables on the populations for WvW servers (Look what just happend with the GvG exodus to T3 it didnt go well and screwed up T2 and T3) adding the arenas is amazing for us! We can now GvG different guilds from different tiers so we no longer have to worry about server stabilization and Im going to hazard a guess most of us will move back to our respective T2 servers we loved. (Honestly we didnt really want to move away from our friends we had no choice because we were all split up in Tiers/servers)

Dropping this arena time to to 2 weeks we can surely be safe in saying that is worth doing and wont be a major time constraint on the one group of players that will use it the most. Contrary to belief WvWrs are some of the poorest players in Gw2 (GvGrs even less we dont make money in OS) by having to farm resources, gold materials and what not for 2 months much of us would rather just move to a new tier so we can all fight each other or the other option no one wants but its already happend… We got tired of the Omiblob 50vs 50 WvW server blobs fighting in open field WvW

For those that dont know about the GvG scene Ill break it down a bit:

15v15 man fights in a designated spot (usually OS)

No Rezzing full dead teamates (Youre dead until the round is over)

Most GvG fights are scheduled we use TS, Timers and scores to track fights

We try to stay out out of the PPT players way we dont want to fight in towers and keeps all day (most of us could not care less about server ppt glicko score) we are here to fight each other for pure fun. Its large scale PvP that we just didnt have before.

Thanks Anet for listening to our cries and helping out your small (but extremely tight knit) GvG community, were trying hard to bring into the main focus of the game and this is certainly a step in a very helpful direction.

Crystal Desert

Posted by: Legend.7952

Legend.7952

Thanks Colin! This is a great change, thank you Anet for listening!

Posted by: Clerigo.9475

Clerigo.9475

This is great great news. TY alot for being here reading and listening to players, and also a big TY to the OP.

“When in doubt, choose change.” Leung
“All great changes are preceded by chaos.” Chopra
‘No matter what people tell you, words and ideas can change the world’ Robin Williams

Posted by: EmoGiggles.9078

EmoGiggles.9078

A big thank you to the team working on the this concern. I know in GW2 your focus has never been on the GvG community. This was a huge and popular aspect of GW1. Not having this automatically embraced in GW2 was not only disheartening but painful, for those who love the style. So we found our own way to make things happen in GW2.
When you announced you were not only going acknowledge the GvG community but, help it along with the Guild Hall Arena’s. The entire GvG community jumped for joy! Finally we had received the long awaited, beloved Guild Hall style GvG.

When it was known it would take up to 2 months to make this Arena possible. The GvG community again went into panic mode. Multiple guilds across multiple servers were looking forward to moving back to their beloved home servers and returning to their friends.

And now, thanks to the response from the GvG players and eloquent post from benjenx.6427, people are once again excited! To be able to play a GvG match without the interference of people jumping in, the emote and chat spamming. Not having to map hop or mess with the PPT on a borderland to be able to play a match un-interrupted.

One great aspect with the GvG’s in Obsidian Sanctum, which I personally felt was an amazing, was that people could watch the matches. This allowed people to not only size up their competition. But allowed for newer players to watch, enjoy, learn and be bitten by the GvG bug. This is where my dilemma lies.

My concern is, will the matches played in the Arena’s be able to be observed? Possibly along the same setup as the MAT’s in GW1? Not necessarily be able to watch a match live. But play it back and watch it after the fact. People being able to watch the matches, has become a great recruitment tool for the GvG guilds. Which in turn, has helped keep the GvG/WvW community alive and kicking on every server.

I hope I’m not alone in my observation concerns. I now this may not seem a big concern for your team and even some players. But as a GvG player, class lead and recruiter myself. I use this aspect to not only recruit new players. It allows for new players, other guilds and veteran players; find, scout, recruit, learn and love the GvG game-play.

~Emo Giggles ~
Mag, FA, TC, SoS, BG and Deso (EU)
(Because one account, is never enough)

(edited by EmoGiggles.9078)

Posted by: Cardovillian.2403

Cardovillian.2403

Great to see you are watching and responding – but it has to be said – how did you not see this reaction coming? The raids are – apparently – a response to the requests of hardcore players looking for challenging endgame content (I’m not one of them by the way – I haven’t even completed all the story dungeons). Did you really think they’d be happy to spend a further 2 months working their way to opening the content you’d finally presented to them?

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

Great to see you are watching and responding – but it has to be said – how did you not see this reaction coming? The raids are – apparently – a response to the requests of hardcore players looking for challenging endgame content (I’m not one of them by the way – I haven’t even completed all the story dungeons). Did you really think they’d be happy to spend a further 2 months working their way to opening the content you’d finally presented to them?

Oh gosh, shush you.

Times are changing. We are seeing way more interaction with red names and WvW than we’ve seen since launch of the game.

You can encourage that kind of interaction by having reasonable dialogue, or you can discourage it and it go back to the status quo by being harsh.

I’d vote for the former. They are, apparently, listening now. That’s a good thing.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

benjenx.6427

Hey Colin, thank you for your nice words! I hope that we can work together more to keep working on these Arenas moving forward!

Posted by: FrouFrou.4958

FrouFrou.4958

Great news, thanksu Colin!

Froudactyl // Herp Derp Druid // Judge Legends [JDGE] // Seafarer’s Rest