The Problem with HoT

The Problem with HoT

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: StickerHappy.8052

StickerHappy.8052

Everything is soooo goood, Hunting for Mastery Points… Vertical Progression..

New Pets..

Everything…

BUT this:

MASTERY TRAINING takes tooooooooo looonngggggg to level up.

Doing Chain events does nothing.

you need 1.7m to train Lean Gliding, 1 event gives you 13k exp.

This makes me feel the grind..

The last tier for a Mastery needs 13million exp.. not for me..

and there are 4 mastery tracks.

so each mastery track atleast needs 20million exp.

Champion Illusionist Champion Hunter Champion Phantom Champion Magus

(edited by StickerHappy.8052)

The Problem with HoT

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Use boosters? I’m running all sort of boosters, food, fireworks, celebration booster, XP booster…I have 15 mastery points spent so far.

The Problem with HoT

Posted by: Phy.2913

Phy.2913

Stop trying to rush them.

The Problem with HoT

StickerHappy.8052

I am not. It’s just to little exp for very long chain quests. They take too long to finish. It will take you a whole year just to get all 4 masteries completed .

Only talking about HoT here. Not even including the Tyria one.

The Problem with HoT

StickerHappy.8052

Use boosters? I’m running all sort of boosters, food, fireworks, celebration booster, XP booster…I have 15 mastery points spent so far.

Some of these boosters you have to buy for gems. Not really sure I wanna spend money on that.

Once you reach the second to the last or last tier of each mastery, tell me about it.

The Problem with HoT

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Some of these boosters you have to buy for gems. Not really sure I wanna spend money on that.

Once you reach the second to the last or last tier of each mastery, tell me about it.

Celebration boosters are free with dailies. Birthday boosters you get for long term playing. Gold can be traded for gems to buy boosters, unless you’re a free to play player (which if you’re playing HoT you’re not). Food, utilities and fireworks can all be crafted or in the case of fireworks bought off the trading post.

The Problem with HoT

Posted by: Chemical Rush.2569

Chemical Rush.2569

You can’t tell him what to do!

Also, you’re a kitten. Who wouldn’t want to unlock the hero points as fast as they could? Most everyone was hugely disappointed with how they handled hero points.

The Problem with HoT

Posted by: Veneratio.1980

Veneratio.1980

Everything is soooo goood, Hunting for Mastery Points… Vertical Progression..

New Pets..

Everything…

BUT this:

you need 1.7m to train Lean Gliding, 1 event gives you 13k exp.

This makes me feel the grind..

The last tier for a Mastery needs 13million exp.. not for me..

and there are 4 mastery tracks.

I got 1.4mil exp doing the meta event in Dragons Stand and it was SO MUCH FUN.

No feeling of grind or the pressure. Pure fun, rewards and 1.4 mil exp.

The Problem with HoT

Posted by: coolcatz.6730

coolcatz.6730

I am level 25 on my Ranger and have only found 1 animal I could tame. I know they have to say juvenile and I never see any. I wish they would add more, or am I just missing them….

The Problem with HoT

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

Branch out. Kill foes, uncover maps, find vistas and hidden pois, harvest anything you come across, play adventures, do all the hero challenge champ events once a day. All of this gives good experience, on par with if not above event rewards, and it’s a lot more fun than just doing the same events over and over again.

And if you’re really in a hurry, make sure to take some halloween food and utility consumables with you for +15% +10% kill experience gain, do easy wvw dailies for a 20 minutes +experience in all game modes boost (starts running the moment a character opens the chest, and is bound to the character opening), use celebration boosters (from daily login rewards) and birthday boosters (from character birthdays) where available, and of course regular experience boosters if you are lucky enough to get your hands on a black lion key and the chest drops one (which they seem to do fairly regularly).

The Problem with HoT

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Use boosters, do events, also you get additional stuff by just being there (contribution for whole map, depending, this remains, even if you just idle around).

I usually do 1-2 mastery levels per evening (3-5 hours). Not that bad. It’s account bound, so you won’t have to repeat it with a new character.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

The Problem with HoT

Posted by: Decado.9304

Decado.9304

I am level 25 on my Ranger and have only found 1 animal I could tame. I know they have to say juvenile and I never see any. I wish they would add more, or am I just missing them….

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/List_of_pet_locations

that will give you all the locations and maps you you can zip around and get the ones you like quickly

The Problem with HoT

Posted by: Kashrlyyk.5364

Kashrlyyk.5364

Reaching level 80 takes 4.8 million exp. This is ridiculous.

The Problem with HoT

Rasimir.6239

Reaching level 80 takes 4.8 million exp. This is ridiculous.

Getting 4.8 million exp at level 80 is a lot faster than at level 1-79, so it’s not really comparable.

Better comparrison: Each level-up at level 80 takes 254000 exp, which makes 4.8 million exp less than 20 level-ups at max level. Sounds like a good number to me, nothing I pump out in a day or two, but a reasonable goal to go for.

The Problem with HoT

Posted by: Crunk n monkey.3749

Crunk n monkey.3749

My personal opinion. The Mastery system was added WAY too late at this stage in the game. Majority of the community has been level 80 for quite some time and has many other characters that are level 80.

All that wasted XP from months and months of map comp on several characters, world bosses, dungeons, etc. Now there is a use for it. It’s like, keep up the good work grinding out useless XP, because now we have a use for it all.

Ascended Phoenix [ASH] – Gates of Madness

The Problem with HoT

Posted by: Kulvar.1239

Kulvar.1239

It’s not wasted, we received tokens…

The Problem with HoT

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

So you want to have every Mastery unlocked within a few days? I find it disgusting that ArenaNet is allowing people to exploit CoF/Arah paths to rush Masteries as-is I might add. There’s absolutely no meaning to seeing someone with high Mastery ranks now. Oh, you got Mastery Rank 70? Well, you just exploited for it, so woop-di-doo, very impressive. Not. Masteries are HORIZONTAL LEVELS. Instead of the a-typical VERTICAL LEVEL progression added in most other MMORPG expansions, which renders all your past efforts void, as new gear tiers and levels outshines your past investments (—Guild changes have rendered all my hundreds of Gold and three years time invested void granted, so they really annoy me with that, on what is otherwise nice additions to the system). Would you rather see that they took that route?

Anyways, it’s not a grind unless you make it a grind. You can go explore, you can gather, you can kill a few enemies here and there. You can do Story. You can do Hero Challenge(s) and/or help others with theirs, you can do various events, on various maps. Oh no, you actually need to play the game’s new content? Come on now, there’s no reason to rush these things. And again, I find it such a shame that people exploited a flaw in endless spawns. And a bigger shame that ArenaNet allows it.

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

(edited by Absconditus.6804)

The Problem with HoT

Posted by: quaniesan.8497

quaniesan.8497

It’s not rushing. You DO realize even early in the story they demand us to have rank 5 in certain mastery line, do you even know how long it is to get even 1 level?

If ya no longer see me after this post,
it means THEY got me for " neg criticism in clever disguise".
Know that it has been fun and I love ya all.

The Problem with HoT

Absconditus.6804

It’s not rushing. You DO realize even early in the story they demand us to have rank 5 in certain mastery line, do you even know how long it is to get even 1 level?

Less than one event chain in Verdant Brink during daytime. That’s how long. There’s 5 different ones too. So go ahead and do each one, once, and you have a good chunk of your Mastery needed. Don’t forget that food buffs gives experience bonuses, so use food. Birthday Boosters can be a added boon to the experience gained. Once you’ve done those, uncover things on the map, explore a bit, or go to the next map, start doing various event chains there to see their individual mini-stories, uncover the map, explore and/or move on to the next map. It’s not a grind if you don’t make it one. Also, no, there’s no need to have rank four in Itzel Lore anymore, they patched that out:

• Itzel Poison Lore is no longer a Mastery requirement for story.

That said, I have it, and I haven’t been grinding. I’ve done most events only once, except map meta ones, because I like them—meaning it’s definitely not a grind to do them again and again. I have a Mastery rank of 22 in total, 20 being from HoT maps and 2 of them Pact Commander rank one and Fractal Attunement rank one. Again, I did not grind repeatedly on something.

Seafarer’s Rest

The Problem with HoT

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Uh huh. You aren’t keeping up with the patch notes, are you?

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

The Problem with HoT

Rasimir.6239

Are you sure? I’m already fairly far into the story (3rd map of 4), and I have yet to need a mastery beyond the first rank.

The Problem with HoT

Posted by: quaniesan.8497

quaniesan.8497

Obviously, you don’t.

If ya no longer see me after this post,
it means THEY got me for " neg criticism in clever disguise".
Know that it has been fun and I love ya all.

The Problem with HoT

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Heart of Thorns Story

• Fixed an issue in which the Sign Cutting quest would not properly bypass the Mastery requirement for certain players. Additionally, fixed an issue with Rox’s markings not properly completing the quest step on interaction.

You were having some other gating issue?

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

The Problem with HoT

Posted by: Ticky.5831

Ticky.5831

Obviously, you don’t.

They removed the mastery requirement for that story mission. Now you only need 2 rank 2’s IIRC.

The Problem with HoT

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

This gate was removed (and we’ve seen people talking about completing the story since yesterday morning):

Hey all,

I just wanted to pop in here real briefly to let you all know that the team discussed the complaints we’ve been seeing here about the masteries gating story progression, and with tomorrow’s patch we’ll be removing the Itzel Poison mastery gate from chapter 14 “Sign Cutting”. If you were already on this step, when you next log in, your story step should automatically advance as though you had earned the mastery. If you haven’t reached this point, you shouldn’t notice anything different (apart from the fact that you can progress the story faster). If you’ve already advanced past this point by earning the mastery, well there’s just no other way to say it: you’re a rock star, and you deserve an ice cold beverage and a toast from the story team at Arenanet! :-)

I don’t have an exact ETA on when this fix will go Live, but we just wanted to get the word out there ASAP so that if you’re currently on this step, you might want to wait as you will have the ability to bypass this gate sometime tomorrow.

We wanted to use mastery gating as a way to try and prepare you for the challenges ahead the deeper into the Maguuma that you went, but we realize that in this particular scenario, it ended up not being the experience we wanted for all of you and we wanted to correct it.

See you in the jungle!

So, there really isn’t any reason to grind out all of the mastery levels “right now” except that you choose to. They were intended (to an extent) as long term busy work.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

The Problem with HoT

Posted by: Methal.9045

Methal.9045

that would be all well and good, but YOU CANT PLAY THE GAME WITHOUT THEM!!11

The Problem with HoT

Absconditus.6804

Of course you can play the game without them. The only “required” ones are easy to unlock and each takes roughly one event chain each in Verdant Brink and/or the other maps. That’s less than an hour of your time. For the Core game, there’s no real required ones, yet—there’s no way you got Fractal levels high enough for that to become a issue. And playing through Fractals will help you gain the ranks you need. Again, it’s easy enough to get through normal play. Also, you don’t HAVE TO do all of the Story right away. You were perfectly able to wait when you leveled up and went through the Personal Story. 11!0ne

Seafarer’s Rest

The Problem with HoT

Posted by: Ticky.5831

Ticky.5831

Another suggestion. Since Mastery progress is account-wide, when you reach a gate; you can switch to a different character(assuming they are level 80) and progress to the same point in the story as your other character.

“Grinding” to story gates is extremely minimal, especially compared to normal leveling, and especially if you use XP boosts. Got through the story over the weekend while also doing Halloween stuff.

The Problem with HoT

Posted by: Snoopy Shannon.5123

Snoopy Shannon.5123

Heart of Thorns Story

• Fixed an issue in which the Sign Cutting quest would not properly bypass the Mastery requirement for certain players. Additionally, fixed an issue with Rox’s markings not properly completing the quest step on interaction.

You were having some other gating issue?

Was this patch today?

The Problem with HoT

StickerHappy.8052

I’ll just leave this here.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Heart_of_Maguuma_mastery_tracks

Mastering all of em Needs 50 million experience

The one who said 4m to get to lvl 80 is a joke compared to this.

AND This is only HoT Masteries Central Tyria is another 30 million xp

I am not complaining about the system or anything, I am just saying the chain events give 13k exp only and the talking, the killing, the walking takes so much time just to get 13k exp.

Anyway, Do boosters stack? and do they affect event experiences too or just kills?

The Problem with HoT

Posted by: Pikaboo.6905

Pikaboo.6905

The problem with HoT is not actually with HoT, it’s with the players that expect to have all the things given to them immediately. It’s not supposed to be completely finished within a couple of days.

The Problem with HoT

Phy.2913

I am not complaining about the system or anything, I am just saying the chain events give 13k exp only and the talking, the killing, the walking takes so much time just to get 13k exp.

Anyway, Do boosters stack? and do they affect event experiences too or just kills?

Neat. Why is this a problem though?

The Problem with HoT

StickerHappy.8052

Dude.. The grind.. I say its a grind because the events give you so little XP in order to complete 13mil xp on 1 track.

Anyway, can you answer my question to boosters?

The Problem with HoT

Posted by: Amaya.1483

Amaya.1483

Enjoy the game and dont rush things, or be satisfied with your own work if you rushed it. GG

The Problem with HoT

Phy.2913

Dude.. The grind.. I say its a grind because the events give you so little XP in order to complete 13mil xp on 1 track.

Sounds an awful lot like “playing the game”. You’re not answering the question, why is it a problem that you can’t get it quickly?

The Problem with HoT

LanfearShadowflame.3189

People seem to be tearing through that 30mil xp for the Central masteries via the CoF farm. Infinite foes, 2k xp per kill. Not sure how many kills per minute. Anet has stated its not an exploit… shrug

But yes, some boosters do stack. You can run a celebration booster and a normal xp booster together, I believe. Toss on food, potion of ‘x’ slaying, an xp bonfire, the hero banner, and maybe even a kill streak booster… and you see those numbers start adding up…

The Problem with HoT

Posted by: Nemesis.2019

Nemesis.2019

My issues with HoT too many hero challenges are behind a gated mechanic, I must Grind X mastery to reach here,so many players don’t have grind mastery X, so you don’t have 12 players coming to your aid like GW2, instead maybe 5 players can reach your location because the rest is gated off from the certain parts of the game, Hero Challenges should have never been grind gate…

The Problem with HoT

StickerHappy.8052

Sounds an awful lot like “playing the game”. You’re not answering the question, why is it a problem that you can’t get it quickly?

I didn’t say that I can’t get it quickly. I mean is that 13exp is super unreasonable for doing and killing champ that don’t that die that fast in an event for a huge pool of 13 million exp. thats it.

Fast or Slow, 13k is just too low. how long does a chain event last?

1-2 hrs. that 1-2 hrs will get you how much exp in total? It is too much time investment for very little results.

(edited by StickerHappy.8052)

The Problem with HoT

StickerHappy.8052

People seem to be tearing through that 30mil xp for the Central masteries via the CoF farm. Infinite foes, 2k xp per kill. Not sure how many kills per minute. Anet has stated its not an exploit… shrug

But yes, some boosters do stack. You can run a celebration booster and a normal xp booster together, I believe. Toss on food, potion of ‘x’ slaying, an xp bonfire, the hero banner, and maybe even a kill streak booster… and you see those numbers start adding up…

So do the boosters affect exp from events?

The Problem with HoT

Phy.2913

I didn’t say that I can’t get it quickly. I mean is that 13exp is super unreasonable for doing and killing champ that don’t that die that fast in an event for a huge pool of 13 million exp. thats it.

1-2 hrs. that 1-2 hrs will get you how much exp in total? It is too much time investment for very little results.

They’re supposed to be long term goals.

The Problem with HoT

StickerHappy.8052

They’re supposed to be long term goals.

long term goals for people who do not work and what not?

Some people have lives and can only play once or twice a week, and sometimes 2-3 hours on 1 day only.

Can you imagine how long it would take them to master 1 track?

The Problem with HoT

LanfearShadowflame.3189

So do the boosters affect exp from events?

I think some of them do. Some of them only apply to kills. I believe the birthday booster, kill streak booster (obviously), the xp bonfire, and normal xp booster only apply to kills.

I’m not sure if nourishment is just kills or all exp sources. Might vary depending on the food or utility being used.

The ’Ram’s Reward’ bonus from certain fireworks (stacks up to 2 hour duration) is all experience sources (except consumables like writs).

The guild banner is also all experience sources, I think.