The class and race reactions in HoT

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Valmir.4590

Valmir.4590

Behind this nebulous title lies the fact that I really loved the tidbits of lore/specific informations that a player would get in LS2 depending on its class and race… And I hope that they will return to a greater extent in the expansion.

We already know that playing a Sylvari should have a great impact to the expansion content but I would be dissatisfied if the other races hadn’t almost as much specific reactions toward the events of Hearth of Thorns and before. After all, even if the Sylvari are perhaps the second most iconic race that ANet designed (after the Charrs, for me) I would be a little disappointed to have the other races left in the cold (since the humans have basically missed their chance to shine against Zhaïtan and that the other three races have their “designated” dragon already).

But how could other races react to the events of HoT in their very specific way ? Well, the most important is probably their reaction toward the Sylvaris. Charrs, Humans, Asuras and Norns should allhave very distinct behaviour toward them.

The Charrs would probably see them has enemies until proven wrong and even then they would only accept the Sylvari out of their sheer usefulness (much like they accept magic users in their warbands) and they would probably be the most open in their disliking of the Sylvaris.

The Humans would pretty much fear them and wouldn’t trust them but I could see them either balancing that behind feigned acceptance of them, or to the contrary outright “witch hunts” with the humans refusing to fight alongside the Sylvari.

The Asuras would probably try to experiment on the Sylvaris, with or without their consent, to understand why some of them are falling to the Dragon and others resists, possibly in the hope to control other minions (the Enquest) or free other minions from the Dragons’ dominion (much like it was done to Glint in ages past).

As for the Norns, they shouldn’t distrust the Sylvari as a whole, much like they accept the Sons of Svanir as long as they don’t act against them. So the Norns would probably remain the most steadfast friends of the Sylvaris, since they wouldn’t see a reason to not try to save the children of the Pale Tree.

I know it would require a lot of work from the developers to express all those nuances of reactions, which are still quite broad (not all the Charrs, Asuras, Humans and Norns act alike, after all) but I think it would boost the replay value of the HoT content and help feel the world more real.

As for the class, I also hope to have some minor references, such has a warrior describing how a dead Mordrem was killed (“It skull was crushed by a mace, probably coming from the right. I’ve seen that before”) etc. Much like it was done during the Season 2 of the LS, since it is only minor details but they also make the world more compelling and realistic.

(edited by Valmir.4590)

Posted by: Crossflip.4390

Crossflip.4390

I assume every race will eventually get the spotlight in some upcoming xpac/update, probably against their own dragon. I can’t wait to see what the Charr get. I’m calling it now, the Black Citadel will go all Metroplex on us and turn into a giant catcow robot

Posted by: Test.8734

Test.8734

I assume every race will eventually get the spotlight in some upcoming xpac/update, probably against their own dragon.

When? It took ArenaNet 3 years to make the Sylvari based expansion. How long until they make a Charr based one? 12 years? Are they even going to be around by then?

ArenaNet mentioned they will not fix the (many) issues with Charr and Asura armor because few people play as them. I wouldn’t be surprised if they simply go over those two races and instead decide to focus on the Norn and the humans for the next content updates (assuming those will happen within our lifetimes).

Posted by: Crossflip.4390

Crossflip.4390

A guy can hope

Posted by: CobaltSixty.1542

CobaltSixty.1542

I assume every race will eventually get the spotlight in some upcoming xpac/update, probably against their own dragon. I can’t wait to see what the Charr get. I’m calling it now, the Black Citadel will go all Metroplex on us and turn into a giant catcow robot

Preordering now.

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

ArenaNet mentioned they will not fix the (many) issues with Charr and Asura armor because few people play as them. I wouldn’t be surprised if they simply go over those two races and instead decide to focus on the Norn and the humans for the next content updates (assuming those will happen within our lifetimes).

The human one already happened – Zhaitan was very much their foe, despite the abundance of Trahearne. The rest have a greater effect on the other races.

Posted by: Nicholas S Lin.6187

Nicholas S Lin.6187

It seems clear than Arenanet is being held back and artificially held back by its parent NCSoft – who refuse to invest any major monies on Guild Wars 2 apart from what it perceives to the bear minimum – and then only after the maximum delay has been suffered by its loyal fans/players…… How else can one explain its lateness in dropping an expansion – 3 years after launch – AND without a new playable race. NCSoft should allow for and implement a once off payment model for major content up-grades and ignore players that say they want the game to be completely free after initial purchase. Such a move will allow TIMELY major content updates!