The map closing mechanic sucks

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Cheby Shev.4671

Cheby Shev.4671

Yeah, I hate this mechanic and it ruins the HoT experience. Please get rid of it. Closing maps on players is not positive innovation. The key to successful innovation is identifying when something isn’t working and “failing fast” before you cause more damage to your product / service / market.

Posted by: Groober.1329

Groober.1329

Yes especially when you are 5 mins away from killing the mouth of modremoth, it’s…not a good look

Posted by: Silent The Gray.3091

Silent The Gray.3091

Yes especially when you are 5 mins away from killing the mouth of modremoth, it’s…not a good look

Yeah, but welcome to Arenanet. They’ll probably fix this the same time you can ACTUALLY craft precursors.

Posted by: Firelysm.8190

Firelysm.8190

I’ve created this chartflow for anet.
This could help making our gaming experience TONS times better.
Imgur link to the chart.

Attachments:

Posted by: Exotrax.4207

Exotrax.4207

Imgur link to the chart.

please some one give to this guy a nobel price

Posted by: Shados.1306

Shados.1306

While this is definitely broken, do keep in mind the maps don’t close randomly. When a Dragon Stand map closes on you, it’s because someone was told “Hey, the map is about to close in an hour!”, and they’re like “whatever, ignoring this, let’s taxi people in!”

Sure, they may have the expectation that this will “save” the map from closing…so tell them so they know better next time, until it’s fixed.

Posted by: Nexterror.7180

Nexterror.7180

TD going fine. All lanes looking good. Our lane @40% mid second phase. And we get moved to a new instance. All of us. But..
people are encouraged to report spoilers for star wars. And it ain’t April’s 1st yet.
Some serious mess going on around here.

Posted by: Orion Templar.4589

Orion Templar.4589

Not sure if I got hit with this issue or not, but I was in AB and the meta was going well. We had most of the pylons completed and I was in an event for one of the last ones. Suddenly the map loading screen appeared and I was dumped into another map that was not nearly as far along. I asked in map chat if anyone else just got dumped to a new map and some others replied that yes it had happened to them too.

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Imgur link to the chart.

You don’t need to poll the map every two minutes to know how many people are on, the server can just increment a variable whenever someone joins and decrease it when they leave, and that variable’s value will trigger cases whenever it hits a threshold.

Generally speaking you want to avoid having a program do something on a timed interval if you can accomplish the same thing with a counter, as it can introduce unnecessary overhead (especially in an MMO that has a dynamic number of maps) and can be a culprit in memory leaks (since timed loops are invariably endless loops, if something interrupts it from terminating it’ll keep going until the program has to be restarted).