The mysterious Exalted & Mastery UI

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

In BogOtter’s latest video you can see the Mastery UI, and it refers to a race called The Exalted living in the Golden City. I assume these are the mursaat looking creatures we see in the trailer. Could this mean they are not Mursaat after all or is Exalted just a name the Mursaat are known to use? My knowledge on gw1 lore is a bit rusty.

For those that don’t want to watch the video, you can see all the Masteries listed here: http://www.mattsta.ninja/masteries

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

(edited by Windu The Forbidden One.6045)

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

My guess is that the name ‘Exalted’ was used for the Mursaat in order to prevent spoilers about the story and the presence of the Mursaat in it.

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Here is the list of masteries that were in the demo, for those that don’t want to watch the whole video.
http://www.mattsta.ninja/masteries

My guess is that the name ‘Exalted’ was used for the Mursaat in order to prevent spoilers about the story and the presence of the Mursaat in it.

Or it could be that they never really were the Mursaat, and people jumped to an incorrect conclusion. Just saying. I’d rather it be Mursaat, but not gonna get my hype out of proportion.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Here is the list of masteries that were in the demo, for those that don’t want to watch the whole video.
http://www.mattsta.ninja/masteries

Thanks for that link, I will add it to the OP

~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Carlin Sanders.3587

Carlin Sanders.3587

or they could be trying to disassociate with the name ‘Mursaat’ due to its negative meaning with travelers.

Exalted – the artist formerly known as ‘Mursaat.’

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

Or it could simply be a faction within the Mursaat – maybe explaining why they are open to working with the players.

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

SO cool, I just can not wait.

Some must fight so that all may be free.

Posted by: Stormbolt.7293

Stormbolt.7293

The things we saw in the trailer are definitely Mursaat or somehow related to them. My guess is that the Exalted are a splinter faction that decided to avoid the Flameseeker prophecies by simply phasing out like they did during the previous Elder Dragon war. Their time in that state changed their appearance.

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

Or Mursaat was only the name of the ones we encountered and their race is called something else.

Still waiting for the White Mantle, though.

Posted by: Foefaller.1082

Foefaller.1082

My money is that “Mursaat” actually means “Exalted” in their language.

Posted by: Carlin Sanders.3587

Carlin Sanders.3587

My money is that “Mursaat” actually means “Exalted” in their language.

very true! they do seem like the ‘high and mighty’ type.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

or they could be trying to disassociate with the name ‘Mursaat’ due to its negative meaning with travelers.

Exalted – the artist formerly known as ‘Mursaat.’

Oh I’m sure they’re Mursaat, probably felt Mursaat didn’t indicate how amazing they were so they decided to call themselves Exalted instead.

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

I’m leaning towards the faction idea myself, because “The Exalted” doesn’t sound like a name a race would actually give itself. It sounds more like a group or organization.

Though, as Foefaller said, I wouldn’t put it past the Mursaat to have their own race’s name to mean “Exalted”. They are holier than thou SOBs so I could see them doing that.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Or it could be that they never really were the Mursaat, and people jumped to an incorrect conclusion. Just saying. I’d rather it be Mursaat, but not gonna get my hype out of proportion.

To be fair floating creatures with multiple “tails” living in a Golden City does sound extremely much like Mursaat.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

Perhaps it is a translation. Mursaat in their languge could mean exalted.
Or it could be the name for a special faction of the Mursaat or vice versa.

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Wouldn’t the Exalted simply be the opposite of the Forsaken?

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Forsaken were WoW. You may be thinking of the Forgotten, but there was nothing forsaken about them.

It is an interesting term, though – ‘Exalted’, to me, has divine connotations. Could be mursaat that heel-faced, could be Forgotten or some other race that ascended into an energy form like the druids did, could be a lot of things. It’ll be interesting to see.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Forsaken were WoW. You may be thinking of the Forgotten, but there was nothing forsaken about them.

That would explain why I kept getting hits on WoW pages when trying to look up the Forsaken. kitten .

It is an interesting term, though – ‘Exalted’, to me, has divine connotations. Could be mursaat that heel-faced, could be Forgotten or some other race that ascended into an energy form like the druids did, could be a lot of things. It’ll be interesting to see.

Exalted also works as the opposite of Forgotten, rather than being a race that retreated into obscurity after serving the gods, they might be a new race created to usher the return on the gods.

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Possibly, but something to keep in mind is that the Forgotten were forgotten by humans as their responsibilities took them elsewhere. They probably have a closer relationship to the gods than humans do.

So, I’m not seeing the Exalted as being a kind of opposite to the Forgotten. They could be another race of divine servitors – we know that more than just Forgotten and humans have been associated with the gods – but from what we’ve seen (admittedly, not much), their role actually seems similar to the role the Forgotten played in GW1: defending a site of special significance.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

The Exalted: the name that the Forgotten take after leaving behind those pestering humans.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

My guess is that the Exalted are either a previously unknown race of magical beings attuned to some form of magic, like elementals to elemental magic and demons to demonic energies.

Or an offshoot of some other race that became the Exalted after a ritual not unlike the Great Dwarf Ritual. Kind of how margonites were once human and ended up as demonic mist entities.

For example, some Mursaat could have decided not to go along with the “transfer ourselves to a different plane of existence to escape and screw everyone else” plan higher up mursaat chose, and went with an alternate method, that changed them completely to become immune to corruption and prevent their magic from being stolen.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Eirian Direstorm.9748

Eirian Direstorm.9748

omg. I want ALL the masteries!

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

If they didn’t want mursaat suspicions they would place a big black rectangle in the center of the screen when HoT trailer showed characters entering the temple;)

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Wouldn’t the Exalted simply be the opposite of the Forsaken?

Doesn’t seem like it
http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/exalt

Posted by: Zalman.8719

Zalman.8719

I’m sure they are at least related to Mursaat somehow

Posted by: piedealer.4620

piedealer.4620

It’s interesting how most people think the Exalted refer to the Mursaats, but i’d like to make an argument that it is just as likely for them to be traitor Margonites (like the Lost), which were barely introduced in guild wars 1 lore (and could have been developed on much greater extents). For those who are not familiar with their lore, The lost and Apostate (correct me if i named the wrong margonites) are two of the Margonites that betrayed Abbadon, in order to save their race from his corruption.
Unlike the Mursaats the margonites were never decimated (yes they were initially sealed within the Torment with Abbadon, but after his very short lasting* release they might have escaped?). Kormir could have forgave these individuals and cleansed them from Abbadon’s corruption (the lost actually helped a bit in gw side lore). It should also be considered that gw2’s Season 2 (and possibly HOT) includes a significant amount of lore on the forgotten, who are known to have some kind of antagonist relationship (based on random gw lore) with the margonites.
In an interview with WP, Leah talked about the Exalted as a “group” (emphasis on group) rather then a race and whatnot (which would make sense if it were to refer to the traitor margonites).

(edited by piedealer.4620)

Foefaller.1082

It’s interesting how most people think the Exalted refer to the Mursaats, but i’d like to make an argument that it is just as likely for them to be traitor Margonites (like the Lost), which were barely introduced in guild wars 1 lore (and could have been developed on much greater extents). For those who are not familiar with their lore, The lost and Apostate (correct me if i named the wrong margonites) are two of the Margonites that betrayed Abbadon, in order to save their race from his corruption.
Unlike the Mursaats the margonites were never decimated (yes they were initially sealed within the Torment with Abbadon, but after his very short lasting* release they might have escaped?). Kormir could have forgave these individuals and cleansed them from Abbadon’s corruption (the lost actually helped a bit in gw side lore). It should also be considered that gw2’s Season 2 (and possibly HOT) includes a significant amount of lore on the forgotten, who are known to have some kind of antagonist relationship (based on random gw lore) with the margonites.
In an interview with WP, Leah talked about the Exalted as a “group” (emphasis on group) rather then a race and whatnot (which would make sense if it were to refer to the traitor margonites).

That’s actually a pretty good theory, especially since there are arguably as many visual similarities to Margonites with the Exalted as they are between the Exalted we’ve seen and the Mursaat. (especially if you believe they’ve been cleansed/purified/etc by Kormir, which is why they glow golden instead of Margonite blue.)

On the flip side, the Silverwastes were quite literally littered with trinkets and other examinable items that strongly pointed to the White Mantle, which if you played the “never knew my parents” Human personal story step, find out that they’re still out there, and arguably the White Mantle’s most identifiable trait is their relationship with the Mursaat. On the other hand, The Margonites’ only mention (that I recall) in Living Story season 2 is a book in the Hidden Arcana mission that was supposedly written by the Apostle.

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

I’m expecting we will find out the exalted are mursaat. The idea that it could be margonites is an interesting one but I don’t think it fits with the definition for the word exalted although it seems spot on if you apply it to the mursaat.

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

Posted by: piedealer.4620

piedealer.4620

While what you stated is indeed true, let me make another counter argument.
There has never been lore of mursaats helping humans and whatnot (the white mantle does not count as it was a servant-god relationship, it was not mutualistic), it would not make sense for the Exalted to be the mursaat after all the antagonistic role that has been done in guild wars one (especially with the last encounter with lazarus).

On the other hand what you’ve said made me think of the possibility of Seers being the mysterious civilization (none of their writings can be deciphered, a dead speciemen was found in divinity coast in guild wars and they helped other civilization overall by finding the mursaat’s weakeness and they probably existed at the time Elder dragons roamed Tyria)

Why does that matter:
If you look at the last mastery for the Exalted (Wyvern defiance) it may give some info on the relation this species has with dragons (assuming gw defines wyverns as dragons).The Seers are one of the most ancient civilizations and had the longest history of conflicts with one of the strongest civilizations that aimed to rule Tyria; even after losing the war they did not go extinct, but rather slowly declined in population (according to gw 1 lore); this means that likely they endured through the elder dragons era. Had they survived to the current time, it would make sense for them to be the ones teaching the allies on how to compete with these draconic beings as they have previously done for the mursaats.

As it stand i believe either the Seers (very similar in look to the mursaat) or Margonites are viable options. i do not believe the mursaats could be the exalted simply due to their antagonistic role.

(edited by piedealer.4620)

Posted by: Ice of Dragons.1637

Ice of Dragons.1637

I really liked this video the explanation is really great. I think that the Exalted are the mursat since they live in the golden city and we saw something merest like in the video, plus the architecture is very similar to rata sum ruins. But till this is released i am still hoping that the Exalted are a group of stayed behind forgotten, the seers or something else that survived from the old ages. Sadly the chances for that are slim. They mentioned runes that could be forgotten related but i doubt it.

Foefaller.1082

Kinda doubt they’re Forgotten, unless they’ve had some major Great Dwarf-like transformation since GW1. In that game, they were clearly snakemen with four arms and no legs, with a webbing between their limbs almost like a bat or cobra.

Posted by: Temujin.7356

Temujin.7356

SPOILER ALERT!!! The venerable Exalted will be…….you! Or rather your character from GW1 who ascended during the battle with your doppleganger. On the cutscene after, there was a statue of the very same creature you see during your ascension. Sorry GW2 player who do not have a Hall Of Monuments (i.e. did not play GW1) won’t be Exalted.
Ha! I’m just speculating. It will be Mursaat. GW1 was notorious for having our characters help the enemy and battle the good guys only to switch sides later. We fought the Charr, now look at us. We helped the White Mantle fight the Shining Blade only to change sides but only to learn that they held closed the Door Of Komalie. We were sons (and daughters) of Ascalon now we fight the ghosts of our friends. So Mursaat? Absolutely, yes. Maybe Lazarus the Dire will pop up and say hi.
BTW, I forsee the Ghosts of Ascalon helping us (even the Charr) destroy Kralkatorrik to vindicate themselves and be released from the curse since no living being remain in the Brand without becoming Branded. I suspect our old henchmen (and heroes) may make an appearance as well and wouldn’t that be cool?

Posted by: Danel.8573

Danel.8573

WHY does everyone think they’re Mursaat?

The final battle in the living story was in a cave sealed by the Forgotten

The golden city from the trailers is referred to even by developers as the Forgotten City.
I know it could just mean that the city’s existence has been forgotten, but with a race of that name connected to lore, they probably would have named it lost city or something.

Also, if you look closely to their appearance, you might notice, that the Exalted don’t have legs, but rather a tail-like lower body…

Posted by: Misguided.5139

Misguided.5139

GW1 was notorious for having our characters help the enemy and battle the good guys only to switch sides later.

Heh. I’ve been thinking with all the Mordrem Guard stuff that the key to beating Mordremoth will involve an assist from the Nightmare Court.

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

If you look at the last mastery for the Exalted (Wyvern defiance) it may give some info on the relation this species has with dragons (assuming gw defines wyverns as dragons).

I’m really sorry to be “that guy” but wywern is a kind of creature we will be facing in the jungle – there was hal of a blog at some point about them – iirc one was seen on the expac trailer

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles

Posted by: Stitch.1794

Stitch.1794

As it stand i believe either the Seers (very similar in look to the mursaat) or Margonites are viable options. i do not believe the mursaats could be the exalted simply due to their antagonistic role.

It’s worth bearing in mind that the mursaats’ antagonistic role had them doing something bad (human sacrifice) for a good reason (keeping Abbadon sealed behind the Door of Komalie). That no longer applies, as the door got opened anyway, and Abbadon is dead.

It seems entirely plausible to me that they vanished for a few generations so they can be somewhat forgotten, and then returned with a new name to try to disasociate themselves with what past events. Without the burden of having to prevent the Flameseeker Prophecies, there is scope for them to establish a more benevalent relationship with the other races (or at least benevalent-seeming), and with the gods absent, it’s always possible they’re trying to fill that niche.

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

It’s worth bearing in mind that the mursaats’ antagonistic role had them doing something bad (human sacrifice) for a good reason (keeping Abbadon sealed behind the Door of Komalie). That no longer applies, as the door got opened anyway, and Abbadon is dead.

It seems entirely plausible to me that they vanished for a few generations so they can be somewhat forgotten, and then returned with a new name to try to disasociate themselves with what past events. Without the burden of having to prevent the Flameseeker Prophecies, there is scope for them to establish a more benevalent relationship with the other races (or at least benevalent-seeming), and with the gods absent, it’s always possible they’re trying to fill that niche.

They weren’t very nice even before the Flameseeker Prophecies were made public by Glint though. At the previous rise of the elder dragons the Mursaat betrayed their fellow elder races (the Dwarves, Seers, Forgotten and Jotun). In addition, the Mursaat almost wiped out the Seers in a war.

If the Mursaat ally with us, they will do so for purely selfish reasons, probably out of fear for the elder dragons.

Posted by: Blingbro.6591

Blingbro.6591

I personally think that the exalted are what the Mursaant call them selves after kormir replaced Abaddon and the mursaant must of started following Kormir.

Because they look like mursaat and not Forgotten?

~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

The Mursaat are manipulative and narcissistic, they love making lesser races think they are gods and maintaining their secret identity.

Remember WE know they are Mursaat, the GW2 world and characters probably don’t have that knowledge (remember the Shining Blade tried to bury that part of history and how many extinct cults from 250 years ago do you know?). So they have created a new system in the jungle after their defeat 250 years ago and revealed themselves to new worshippers as “The Exalted.”

At least thats my take on it, they may be genuinely on our side to defeat the dragons but who could think they didn’t have some other plans. At least I’m hoping the writers have taken full advantage of such a mysterious and manipulative race of expert spellcasters.

lordkrall.7241

I personally think that the exalted are what the Mursaant call them selves after kormir replaced Abaddon and the mursaant must of started following Kormir.

Mursaat != Margonites.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: EdwinLi.1284

EdwinLi.1284

Well we never did find the Mursaat City in the Maguuma Jungle that Saul D’Alessio found.

In fact people have searched for that city full of Towers that reach the skys but could never find it in GW lore.

This may infact be the Mursaat but a faction that chosen to not rule Kryta and use the White Mantles. Instead head into Isolation having different beliefs than the ones that ruled the White Mantle until they are found now in HoT. Their city may also be the city Saul D’Alessio found since it fits into the location being the Maguuma Jungle.

In the Vision we had in Season2 we can see Golden Towers reaching up into the sky and later we see those Golden towers again being created by the “Exalted”. These lore matching each other is no coincidence.

(edited by EdwinLi.1284)

Posted by: Gotchaz.7865

Gotchaz.7865

From what I can tell all the masteries are pve based are there WVW ones?

Beowulf-Defender of the JQ Realm and Warrior of the SF clan.

lordkrall.7241

From what I can tell all the masteries are pve based are there WVW ones?

There are, and have been for over a year.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World_Experience#WXP_upgrades

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: jgcd.6041

jgcd.6041

I seriously doubt that it’s the Mursaat, if only because the events of Prophecies and the Krytan Civil War in GW1 basically reduced their numbers to near extinction. They weren’t decimated, they were completely destroyed as a faction, with the few survivors getting the hell out of dodge and probably going back to the Isles of Janthir.

Also, given that they hid themselves in another reality the last time the dragons awoke, they would likely have done the same when Primordus awoke.

Also, due to the teaser appearances from some of the videos, it’s implied that the Exalted are connected to the Forgotten. Perhaps they went through ascension themselves, or did it through some other means. The serpentine beings in the trailers are probably the Exalted and the Mursaat are explicitly humanoid, strengthening the connection to the Forgotten.

It will be interesting to see, either way.

- This is a forum, expect logic to get left at the door, beaten bloody, and set on fire.

- The more asinine the post or thread, the more I am amused.

Posted by: Tenjac.5389

Tenjac.5389

Well if we look in the new we now know the answer. Very cool, though I had so hoped they were the Mursaat returned and that we would ally with them.

The final battle in the living story was in a cave sealed by the Forgotten

The golden city from the trailers is referred to even by developers as the Forgotten City.
I know it could just mean that the city’s existence has been forgotten, but with a race of that name connected to lore, they probably would have named it lost city or something.

Also, if you look closely to their appearance, you might notice, that the Exalted don’t have legs, but rather a tail-like lower body…

Well it turned out they are neither.

~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

I have three words. “Crap” & “That Sucks.”

I was hoping for any old lore to seep in and saw the Mursaat as both a nod to the game we all loved that spawned this one and a chance to see if there were both good and bad Mursaat.

After reading the article, I see how they have infused new lore with the Exalted, but would it kill any of those friggin’ content creators to throw us long time GW1 players a bone?

#nothappy #epiclorefail

Posted by: OtakuModeEngage.8679

OtakuModeEngage.8679

I have three words. “Crap” & “That Sucks.”

I was hoping for any old lore to seep in and saw the Mursaat as both a nod to the game we all loved that spawned this one and a chance to see if there were both good and bad Mursaat.

After reading the article, I see how they have infused new lore with the Exalted, but would it kill any of those friggin’ content creators to throw us long time GW1 players a bone?

#nothappy #epiclorefail

… Exalted were in GW1 too, although at that time they weren’t recognized to be anything more than Forgotten servants, but now we learn their true name and purpose… bone thrown.

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

… Exalted were in GW1 too, although at that time they weren’t recognized to be anything more than Forgotten servants, but now we learn their true name and purpose… bone thrown.

Um reference? Nothing on GW wiki or google search.