The reason TAUNT is GREAT for GW2

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

Taunt is just reverse fear, stop thinking of it as a tanking tool.

Fear allows you to stay ranged taunt allows close combat with agro focused on the player which is called tanking

This^

Denial is big on this forum.

Now I see why Anet keeps stuff secret now….

The enemy player or mob will be running towards you auto attacking while you dish out melee dps on them. It’s not tanking its control. Just as how fear pushes everything away from the point it was cast at, taunt is great for grouping up mobs for a burst. Taunt to pull the enemy in a whole on skyhammer (yup, that map will be even more annoying in regards to player positionning) You can pull someone off a stop right into your burst to down them, etc.

Why do so many people want to think of gw2 and make it fit in a trinity mould…

Yeah cause it’s not like Tanks do those things or anything….

Who was I fooling…

Silly me, let me boot up WoW or Wildstar, log on my tank and fill a DPS spot, after all, Tanks can do all that stuff according to you…

There isn’t really much point in trying to explain it to these people, they will just cover their ears and refuse to admit they are over-thinking things.

Pulling mobs to you already exists in this game, taunt is just another way to pull… thieves for instance can pull you in and by no means are they tanks….

Yeah, pretty much. I can definitely see where the new CC can be useful for specific encounters, but that’s really the way it is for all CC.

Well let’s call it a Controller, instead of Tank, since y’all so hurt by the word Tank, even though the Tank is a Controller.

So now we can play dedicated Controller.

Do you, or do you not, have a problem with that?

In what way are dazes, stuns, blinds, knockdowns, pulls, petrify, float, fear, launch, or ice block related to tanks at all?

It reduces damage to the Controller, same thing a Tank does. Tank has many tools to reduce damage. Otherwise they would be lumber for a fire somewhere.

Is thief now a tank because it uses scorpion wire to pull a foe? You’re trying too hard to link things together now.

Controlling a Mob AI and controlling its Damage-output makes a tank.

In Rift, a Mage, and Rogue can all tank. All classes can tank. Because they prevent damage to themselves and group, while controlling mobs AI.

Taunt in GW2 does just that!

And Guild Wars 2 isn’t Rift now, is it? ArenaNet has done many things non-traditionally, I don’t get why you think their versions of definitions is so shocking to you.

And many things that are traditional. Taunt being one of them.
I assume you had a point,

Traditional taunt affects the threat meter, there is no indication at all that this one does. So no, it really isn’t. This has been explained so many times to you from various people.

Posted by: LastDay.3524

LastDay.3524

As I mentioned in my last reply “tank” can mean very different things to different people.
I guess you both ignored me. :P

To many tank is what they are in WoW.
Dude in heavy armor standing still, getting repeatedly hit in the face.
This is meant to be impossible in GW2.

Control in GW2 is a broad term.
For example putting Cripple on a mob is Control.
(In WoW they’d probably call it debuffing instead?)
Using Fear and Chill? Also Control.

Necromancer is the most Control-heavy Profession in GW2.
Guardian is the most Support heavy.

Both have some of the other, though.

Benight[Edge]

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

Fear allows you to stay ranged taunt allows close combat with agro focused on the player which is called tanking

This^

The enemy player or mob will be running towards you auto attacking while you dish out melee dps on them. It’s not tanking its control. Just as how fear pushes everything away from the point it was cast at, taunt is great for grouping up mobs for a burst. Taunt to pull the enemy in a whole on skyhammer (yup, that map will be even more annoying in regards to player positionning) You can pull someone off a stop right into your burst to down them, etc.

Who was I fooling…

Silly me, let me boot up WoW or Wildstar, log on my tank and fill a DPS spot, after all, Tanks can do all that stuff according to you…

There isn’t really much point in trying to explain it to these people, they will just cover their ears and refuse to admit they are over-thinking things.

Pulling mobs to you already exists in this game, taunt is just another way to pull… thieves for instance can pull you in and by no means are they tanks….

Yeah, pretty much. I can definitely see where the new CC can be useful for specific encounters, but that’s really the way it is for all CC.

Well let’s call it a Controller, instead of Tank, since y’all so hurt by the word Tank, even though the Tank is a Controller.

In what way are dazes, stuns, blinds, knockdowns, pulls, petrify, float, fear, launch, or ice block related to tanks at all?

It reduces damage to the Controller, same thing a Tank does. Tank has many tools to reduce damage. Otherwise they would be lumber for a fire somewhere.

Is thief now a tank because it uses scorpion wire to pull a foe? You’re trying too hard to link things together now.

In Rift, a Mage, and Rogue can all tank. All classes can tank. Because they prevent damage to themselves and group, while controlling mobs AI.

And Guild Wars 2 isn’t Rift now, is it? ArenaNet has done many things non-traditionally, I don’t get why you think their versions of definitions is so shocking to you.

Traditional taunt affects the threat meter, there is no indication at all that this one does. So no, it really isn’t. This has been explained so many times to you from various people.

I’m kinda waiting for the day when one of these so called “Tanks” fires off a Taunt and the mob comes running towards him, hits him twice, taunt ends and the mob runs off somewhere else. “Tank” is left standing there in their Nomad armour going “I’M RIGHT HERE! YOU’RE SUPPOSED TO BE HITTING ME! HOW DARE YOU RUN AWAY FROM ME!”

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

This^

Who was I fooling…

-_- he calls GW2 thieves tanks, I think it says enough about his understanding of the trinity system… And he seems to exclude the fact that tanks are not gods even in trinity, they are heavily dependent on healers to keep their health up because they actually eat a lot of damage and not necessarily mitigate it…

Tanks rely on Support, but that doesn’t ignore the fact that Tanks do a certain task to play their role. Which is what I explained.

Tanks reduce damage and control mobs. That’s all a tank does. Support keeps tank and DPS alive, and DPS kills the enemy down before the enemy timers fade.

Knighthonor.4061

This^

Who was I fooling…

I’m kinda waiting for the day when one of these so called “Tanks” fires off a Taunt and the mob comes running towards him, hits him twice, taunt ends and the mob runs off somewhere else. “Tank” is left standing there in their Nomad armour going “I’M RIGHT HERE! YOU’RE SUPPOSED TO BE HITTING ME! HOW DARE YOU RUN AWAY FROM ME!”

Well keep waiting, because Revenant has 6 second taunt….

Posted by: Test.8734

Test.8734

Tanks reduce damage and control mobs. That’s all a tank does. Support keeps tank and DPS alive

If a tank reduces damage and support keeps the tank alive, what about a character that reduces the damage the tank takes and thus keeps it alive? That doesn’t fit your definitions.

Knighthonor.4061

Tanks reduce damage and control mobs. That’s all a tank does. Support keeps tank and DPS alive

If a tank reduces damage and support keeps the tank alive, what about a character that reduces the damage the tank takes and thus keeps it alive? That doesn’t fit your definitions.

Like I said Tanking is a role. Anybody can tank. Not everybody is efficient at it.
Everybody can support not everybody will efficient at it.
Everybody can deal damage, not everybody will be efficient at it.

That’s how the trinity system works. People spec into a certain role to become efficient at it, more so than others that didn’t spec into it.

Up until World of Warcraft’s first expansion, most MMOs stuck with the tradition “1 main trinity role per class”. But the genre has moved on from that now. Now all classes are hybrids in some way of the trinity roles. In gW2, all classes are meant to be able to play all roles. Same as in Rift, all classes can perform all trinity roles.

Posted by: LostBalloon.6423

LostBalloon.6423

Like I said Tanking is a role. Anybody can tank. Not everybody is efficient at it.
Everybody can support not everybody will efficient at it.
Everybody can deal damage, not everybody will be efficient at it.

That’s how the trinity system works. People spec into a certain role to become efficient at it, more so than others that didn’t spec into it.

Up until World of Warcraft’s first expansion, most MMOs stuck with the tradition “1 main trinity role per class”. But the genre has moved on from that now. Now all classes are hybrids in some way of the trinity roles. In gW2, all classes are meant to be able to play all roles. Same as in Rift, all classes can perform all trinity roles.

Are you from the church of Trinity? …

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

This^

Who was I fooling…

Which will probably get nerfed once 5 man Rev parties start playing ping pong

Knighthonor.4061

This^

Who was I fooling…

Or defiance/DR kicks in like it does in any MMo with taunts…

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

So..you original argument got blown to bits so you decided that making convoluted, contrived appeals to semantics so you can be stubborn and think you were right all along? No! A tank isn’t just someone that mitigates a bit of damage and slaps some control effects on enemies. That’s defensive support at best. There is absolutely no such thing as a tank role if you can’t reliably maintain high aggro priority in order to keep any allies from ever being the target of attacks in the first place. Otherwise, you’re just a guy that can take a bunch of hits to the face…not a tank. With Renewing Stamina, my full glass, might-stacking D/D Else can mitigate a LOT of damage, but I would never be silly enough to call that a tank. She can even be traited to share Protection to allies and still..no dice.

If you think your going to wear a bunch of defensive armor and tank for your team with this new Taunt effect (not looking to have much access to it either) then I would strongly recommend learning a bit about how GW2 prioritizes aggro. You’ll be sorely disappointed. This is only a control skill as has already been repeated at you a couple dozen times.

“Oh my Ranger friend is down and pet is healing but he’s about to get stomped? Here, have some Taunt and then get wrecked!” These are the kind of scenarios that taunt is gonna shine. There’s not gonna be any glorious Nomad’s moments where you pull 50 mobs to you and hold them for a nuke and save the day, riding off into the sunset after a proper /bow from your party. It’s just not gonna happen.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Check my example above as to why this is false.

Mobs will focus on the player while the Taunt is active (6 seconds tops) and then, if that player doesn’t deal enough damage to keep the mob on them, they will move and return to whoever they were attacking before.

In other MMORPGs Taunts put the tanks on top of the priority list, we have zero indication that this also happens in GW2.

(edited by maddoctor.2738)

maddoctor.2738

This^

Who was I fooling…

Well the AI “thinks” every 2 seconds, so that 6 second Taunt is like 3 attacks from ranged mobs?

Also, the Revenant chain skill also applies Slow, which means mobs will take a lot of time to reach the Revenant to attack them, in most cases 6 seconds will pass before the mob even reaches the Revenant, making it a worthless skill for tanking melee mobs. It will be used for ranged mobs for sure, but not melee ones, that Slow will make any attempts at tanking melee mobs fail.

That particular Revenant skill is NOT a tanking skill

maddoctor.2738

This^

Who was I fooling…

Exactly this. Taunts are not changing the threat list, because they are control effects and unlike other MMORPGs it’s not specifically written that it does, so that player in full Nomad’s armor waiting to tank mobs will fail.

Also, for the particular Revenant skill “running towards” won’t work because they are also slowed. Those taunted mobs won’t hit the Revenant even once :P

Posted by: Fashion Mage.3712

Fashion Mage.3712

-_- he calls GW2 thieves tanks, I think it says enough about his understanding of the trinity system… And he seems to exclude the fact that tanks are not gods even in trinity, they are heavily dependent on healers to keep their health up because they actually eat a lot of damage and not necessarily mitigate it…

Completely missing his point.

Also, for the particular Revenant skill “running towards” won’t work because they are also slowed. Those taunted mobs won’t hit the Revenant even once :P

You seriously think a mob taunted for 6 seconds won’t hit the taunter? Slow doesn’t decrease movement speed, it just decreases the rate at which abilities are used (presumably by 50%). In other words, reverse quickness, not reverse swiftness (cripple). Ultimately “slow” is just a very powerful damage reduction effect in PvE. As such, that revenant taunt/slow ability is most definitely a tank ability.

(edited by Fashion Mage.3712)

maddoctor.2738

Completely missing his point.

You seriously think a mob taunted for 6 seconds won’t hit the taunter? Slow doesn’t decrease movement speed, it just decreases the rate at which abilities are used (presumably by 50%). In other words, reverse quickness, not reverse swiftness (cripple). Ultimately “slow” is just a very powerful damage reduction effect in PvE. That revenant skill is most definitely a “tank” ability.

Mobs attack almost every 2 seconds. With slow they will attack 50% slower which means 3 seconds (???). How long will it take that mob to reach the Revenant? Then stand still and perform a slowed attack?

And even so, is that Revenant going to stand still for the mob to get to him to land an attack?

Posted by: Pindelfix.1597

Pindelfix.1597

I believe that a taunt mechanic will make it much easier to create more complex PvE content and especially group based content. I dont like the silly, stuborn EQII, or WoW taunt system and I think thats not what s going to be implemented by A-Net. I really hope that they will develop their boss encounter to something like we see in Wildstar Dungeons and Raids because then I d have something to do in PvE. I ve been playing since release and the only mode that caught me really is WvW. I d love to see group content for up to 10/15 players where you sort of have a “soft” trinity.

So I hope A-Net doesn’t get scared of all the pessimism, because I think its a reasonable step forward and for some ppl everything that just smells similar to WoW is a no go… no matter if its maybe a good change. Thats a bad habit to be against everything just to be able to wine and kitten around :P

Posted by: Fashion Mage.3712

Fashion Mage.3712

And even so, is that Revenant going to stand still for the mob to get to him to land an attack?

This just in: no mobs have ranged attacks or gap closers.

maddoctor.2738

This just in: no mobs have ranged attacks or gap closers.

making it a worthless skill for tanking melee mobs. It will be used for ranged mobs for sure, but not melee ones

See above ^^

Posted by: Miku Lawrence.6329

Miku Lawrence.6329

Why bother if Jalis will never be used in PvE? DPS legend all the way meta way !

Snow Crows [SC]

maddoctor.2738

Why bother if Jalis will never be used in PvE? DPS legend all the way meta way !

We don’t know what that “Hardcore” content will be about

Posted by: Miku Lawrence.6329

Miku Lawrence.6329

Also true… Taunt might have kittene, just like pulls and any other CC.

Snow Crows [SC]

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

Thieves using pistol whip would be tank(ing) since aggro can be focused on heaviest damage dealer. Just like taunt means different things tank can as well. They are both dpsing and tanking at the same time. What people are trying to create is impossible if crit chance/damage remains 3 stats doing the same thing while others 1 is flaw design.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

Posted by: Belenwyn.8674

Belenwyn.8674

Taunt allows no tanking. But the ability will open more tactical gameplay for players and mobs. Since they worked on AI too the HOT mobs could be much more clever and use CC in a very lethal way.

Knighthonor.4061

Also true… Taunt might have kittene, just like pulls and any other CC.

Why make a new effect if its the same as the other? Think about that…

Posted by: rotten.9753

rotten.9753

There’s a fear and a push/launch.

Knighthonor.4061

You have a point there.

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

You have a point there.

Also stun and petrify.

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

Punitive? I cant tell you how many times I’ve seen people in full zerker gear go down like a sack of wet rice. Meanwhile, me in my pvt gear survived much longer.

And i have seen bunker guards in defensive sets go down when i had no trouble in my zerker. In both cases i’m sure the difference was more about skill than gear.

I’ve seen more of the zerker case. However, it does mean their dps is lower and combats longer. shrug in the end player skill DOES mean more, which is actually a good thing, but say, with equal skill level, zerkers vs bunker fighting, say, one of the really tough bosses the zerker will do more dps, but will often be the one to go down first, while the bunker, less dps, but has the staying power to keep going.

Example, before we learned the best way to fight subject alpha, we often had zerkers and those with less fragile builds and the zerkers were ALWAYS going down first, and often being one-shotted.

And while that boss is now easy to fight once we learned stacking tactics, the fact is if I really had to, I could sit here and name all the various boss fights where zerkers get one shotted if they mess up just one dodge. You have to play perfect every time. The bunker doesn’t have to, but could still be skilled enough to avoid attacks as much as the zerker.

I’m not saying zerkers dont have their place, I’m just saying that calling the game design as punitive against bunkers and healers is stretching it a great deal.

(edited by Morfedel.4165)

Morfedel.4165

I wonder if taunt will act exactly like a reverse fear in terms of movement. In other words, fear will cause the victims to run off cliff faces. If there is a gap between me and my foe, the foe would usually run around it… but taunted will he run over the edge to get to me too?

(skyhammer, EotM, etc )

Posted by: hazenvirus.8154

hazenvirus.8154

Unless your group is actively removing defiant stacks so you can taunt it will be like any other cc, after the cc goes off boss will have 5 stacks of defiant. And if you can do that you’ll be better off chaining the ice bow freeze, so the mob isn’t even attacking. Taunt is a new cc, not a game changing way to bring traditional tanking to gw2.

maddoctor.2738

I’ve seen more of the zerker case. However, it does mean their dps is lower and combats longer. shrug in the end player skill DOES mean more, which is actually a good thing, but say, with equal skill level, zerkers vs bunker fighting, say, one of the really tough bosses the zerker will do more dps, but will often be the one to go down first, while the bunker, less dps, but has the staying power to keep going.

Depends on the zerker. The wannabe zerkers who read a build on metabattle, get the gear and the skills and “try” to finish content will always fail. However, those who are really good at playing zerker (read: those who already mastered the mechanics of a given fight) will never get downed in dungeon fights.

Those good zerkers can solo even the hardest boss, while the “bunkers” will be downed on the first 10 seconds. For example see how a good zerker can solo Lupicus while the rest of the bunker team is on the ground dead. The best gear stats in the world cannot save a bad player, no matter if they are bunker or zerker they WILL die. It’s all about personal skill.

Example, before we learned the best way to fight subject alpha, we often had zerkers and those with less fragile builds and the zerkers were ALWAYS going down first, and often being one-shotted.

For Subject Alpha specifically, the most bunkerish builds will also be nearly 1-shotted by him. It’s one of the fights in the game that PROMOTES Berserkers, since anything else is wasted (still getting 1-shotted).

It’s maybe one of the best encounters in the game to teach players how to rely on active defense instead of passive.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

Good thing I can only win in this scenario. If this fails to bring in aggro management aka trinity tanks, I can laugh at Knight and his 2 year crusade for trinity, if they do, at the lack of direction in Anet central :P

Morfedel.4165

Depends on the zerker. The wannabe zerkers who read a build on metabattle, get the gear and the skills and “try” to finish content will always fail. However, those who are really good at playing zerker (read: those who already mastered the mechanics of a given fight) will never get downed in dungeon fights.

Those good zerkers can solo even the hardest boss, while the “bunkers” will be downed on the first 10 seconds. For example see how a good zerker can solo Lupicus while the rest of the bunker team is on the ground dead. The best gear stats in the world cannot save a bad player, no matter if they are bunker or zerker they WILL die. It’s all about personal skill.

For Subject Alpha specifically, the most bunkerish builds will also be nearly 1-shotted by him. It’s one of the fights in the game that PROMOTES Berserkers, since anything else is wasted (still getting 1-shotted).

It’s maybe one of the best encounters in the game to teach players how to rely on active defense instead of passive.

Well, THAT certainly isnt true. I ran a bunker build once way back just to prove a point against a “zerker is the only way!” dude; we both took a hit, he was downed, I only lost HALF my health. Nowhere near being nearly one-shotted.

Stop theorycrafting. Sure, great zerkers who know how to dodge and defend will survive most scenarios, but so will great bunkers. But there are differences, Just two examples:

1. WVW – run into a zerg and all the AOEs will down you much faster than an equivalent bunker. Again, of course, the bunker will do less damage, but if he is on his feet longer, he will survive longer. You can only dodge so much when a 50 man group with AOEs explode everywhere, and the bunker has a better chance of surviving it.

2. PVP – I know this from personal experience. I’ve been running builds that are either balanced (travelers and celestial) or weighted more offensive but not fully; ran into a thief yesterday who was full zerker, managed to stun him and hit him with a mesmer shatter that nearly killed him. He went full bore against me later on that match, and I lost…. less health to him than he had to me.

Granted that’s just one example. My point, however, is I think full zerker is just a beatdown waiting to happen…. for the zerker.

See, I really dont think full bunker is all that great. I’m arguing that I dont think zerker is all that great either. too many times I see the bunker unable to do much damage and the zerker unable to take it, going down way too fast. Sure, there are times where they are great, but there are times they just dont have enough defenses, dodges, etc and when they get hit thats it, they go down.

A more balanced approach, using stats that give at least one good defensive stat and the rest offensive (or visa versa) I think is the better way to go. Able to do more dps than a bunker and not get punched like a little girl when your endurance/etc runs out the way it happens with a zerker.

I’m also not saying they SUCK either. Again, this is all just arguing that bunkers do not suck. And frankly I dont think support sucks either. I think they are ALL good.

With taunt it could actually make bunkers more interesting too. Although kiting or taunt-ping-pong could be just as fine.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

It will be even more funny if those 2 hits will kill the “tank” in question, because the mobs “autoattack” was also his oneshot mechanics.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: hazenvirus.8154

hazenvirus.8154

It will be even more funny if those 2 hits will kill the “tank” in question, because the mobs “autoattack” was also his oneshot mechanics.

This reminds me of Deadeye from the arena when I fought him with my mesmer and I used Moa on him, his auto-attacks one shotted and they were rapid.