There will always be A META.

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Rashagar.8349

Rashagar.8349

PHIW mightn’t be against the existence of ‘a meta,’ but the PHIW crowd in this game have refused to acknowledge the freedom they’ve had for the past three years to play the game however they darn well want to and instead just complain about people who clear content faster than them.

Hahaha! Yes, it’s all jealousy on their part, that must be it. =P

As an aside, if PHIW is meant to be “Play How I Want” and being used to categorise a certain play style, if you really want to coin a phrase for that style of play then I feel a more accurate representation of that player group’s mind set would be shown with “PHYW”, Play How You Want.

The people interested in perpetuating a specific meta are the ones insisting that other players should conform for optimisation purposes, everyone else is more welcoming and inclusive of alternative play styles.

Just a semantics thing, but it’s little touches like that that do betray a certain prejudice in the OP’s writing. “Play How I Want” makes it sound like that player’s primary motivation is selfishness, ruining meta-runners gold gains per minute or some other such foolishness, whereas “Play How You Want” is much closer to the reality of being motivated by inclusiveness and friendliness.

To an elite player and a farmer another player is a resource – an NPC – a bot – something that gets something done – I for example have absolutely no interest in why people who don’t run meta builds don’t run them.

Harper, that’s not the hallmarks of an “elite” player, that’s the hallmarks of a psychopath.

Oh no, I think PHIW fits the crowd and the mentality just fine. Especially with the semantics you just mentioned.

That’s… nice?

I really don’t follow you, sorry. How is wanting to promote inclusivity the same as being selfish?

Do you think that someone who welcomes everyone wouldn’t extend that welcome to someone running zerker stats? If so, then, I’m sorry that your personal experience has led you to that assumption but it’s incompatible with my personal experience.

Yeah, that reply may require more explanation than just a back-handed throw-away comment from you.

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

I think you’re somehow under the impression that current end game PvE – Fractals and the like, is actually hard and that’s why people don’t like it or can’t get into it. That’s BS – prebuffing and active mitigation isn’t hard at all, but currently the end game stuff is fully broken. Anyone who does Fractals frequently will tell you that lvl 50 fractals are the easiest level because everyone who joins knows what they’re doing. That’s what makes people dislike it and keeps them from getting into it – they just have to learn a few basic mechanics and then it’s easy – the learning curve is steep but VERY short, and people are always disappointed in the end. A meta group doesn’t need any skill to win, they just push icebow 4. Most bosses can be killed in less than 30 seconds. If they ever want to have rewarding challenging content then we can’t have fights that short. Anybody can focus on dodging and their rotation for 30 seconds – fewer can for 10mins, and then healing becomes necessary to right any slip ups.

I absolutely agree on fractal 50 not being kittence you’ve mastered and got used to what to do. Then again some people struggling with fractal level 20 might disagree.

I just don’t get the point where you argue that for longer fights healing is required? Make content where fights take longer without healing being required. There are dozen of ways to do so while not breaking the current gamedesign.

On the one hand you complain about PvE being to easy, then you throw that thought right out the window by asking for healing to cover up for mistakes. Also don’t underestimate what some people can do and how long they can keep up rotations.

Cyninja.2954

PHIW mightn’t be against the existence of ‘a meta,’ but the PHIW crowd in this game have refused to acknowledge the freedom they’ve had for the past three years to play the game however they darn well want to and instead just complain about people who clear content faster than them.

As an aside, if PHIW is meant to be “Play How I Want” and being used to categorise a certain play style, if you really want to coin a phrase for that style of play then I feel a more accurate representation of that player group’s mind set would be shown with “PHYW”, Play How You Want.

The people interested in perpetuating a specific meta are the ones insisting that other players should conform for optimisation purposes, everyone else is more welcoming and inclusive of alternative play styles.

Just a semantics thing, but it’s little touches like that that do betray a certain prejudice in the OP’s writing. “Play How I Want” makes it sound like that player’s primary motivation is selfishness, ruining meta-runners gold gains per minute or some other such foolishness, whereas “Play How You Want” is much closer to the reality of being motivated by inclusiveness and friendliness.

To an elite player and a farmer another player is a resource – an NPC – a bot – something that gets something done – I for example have absolutely no interest in why people who don’t run meta builds don’t run them.

Harper, that’s not the hallmarks of an “elite” player, that’s the hallmarks of a psychopath.

Oh no, I think PHIW fits the crowd and the mentality just fine. Especially with the semantics you just mentioned.

That’s… nice?

I really don’t follow you, sorry. How is wanting to promote inclusivity the same as being selfish?

Do you think that someone who welcomes everyone wouldn’t extend that welcome to someone running zerker stats? If so, then, I’m sorry that your personal experience has led you to that assumption but it’s incompatible with my personal experience.

Yeah, that reply may require more explanation than just a back-handed throw-away comment from you.

The PHIW crowd you refer to are the most vocal about change. Honestly, most players running zerker gear could care less what others play. They search for like minded people and everything is fine.

On the other side your typical PHIW player will want to change the current meta so their build is forced on other players. While under the guise if pretending to want to have the game opened to more builds, in essence it mostly boils down to just:“I want MY build to get taken along.”

Hence the PHIW fits perfectly. Also I disagree that PHIW players are inclusive. Quite the contrary.

Posted by: Torolan.5816

Torolan.5816

I think you’re somehow under the impression that current end game PvE – Fractals and the like, is actually hard and that’s why people don’t like it or can’t get into it. That’s BS – prebuffing and active mitigation isn’t hard at all, but currently the end game stuff is fully broken. Anyone who does Fractals frequently will tell you that lvl 50 fractals are the easiest level because everyone who joins knows what they’re doing. That’s what makes people dislike it and keeps them from getting into it – they just have to learn a few basic mechanics and then it’s easy – the learning curve is steep but VERY short, and people are always disappointed in the end. A meta group doesn’t need any skill to win, they just push icebow 4. Most bosses can be killed in less than 30 seconds. If they ever want to have rewarding challenging content then we can’t have fights that short. Anybody can focus on dodging and their rotation for 30 seconds – fewer can for 10mins, and then healing becomes necessary to right any slip ups.

I would be seriously astounded if average Joe(or anyone in the case of Mai Trin with the cannon phases) could finish Diviner/Ettin and company/Mai Trin and some others in 30 seconds without exploiting.
I also know there are some guys out there that are seriously good with that stuff but with 30 seconds you are pushing it to the absolute limit in fractals, asking for all the stars to align in your favor and talking about 1 guy in hundreds each.

Rashagar.8349

That’s… nice?

The PHIW crowd you refer to are the most vocal about change. Honestly, most players running zerker gear could care less what others play. They search for like minded people and everything is fine.

On the other side your typical PHIW player will want to change the current meta so their build is forced on other players. While under the guise if pretending to want to have the game opened to more builds, in essence it mostly boils down to just:“I want MY build to get taken along.”

Hence the PHIW fits perfectly. Also I disagree that PHIW players are inclusive. Quite the contrary.

So, you’re saying that people who play the way they want rather than following the meta, actually want to change the meta so that they’ll be following the meta? Isn’t it more likely that they just don’t care about the meta or don’t find the current meta play style fun? Cos that’s the “PHIW crowd” that I was referring to.

If your definition of PHIW is that narrow as to exclude the people I just mentioned then it probably shouldn’t be the term that you use to describe… whoever it is you’re talking about.

By the sounds of it, if most zerker players don’t care what other’s play then those zerker players actually are PHIW players. It just happens that the way they want to play is zerker.

Posted by: glenndevis.8327

glenndevis.8327

No kitten there will always be a meta.
There’s nothing wrong with there being a meta.
And elitists will always be there no matter what meta.

The problem with this meta is that its so boring to the point that it’s unhealthy for the game.

Things have to change for the game to be more fun again. A more diverse meta.

I don’t care if the meta becomes something like 3 DPS, 2 Support classes. At least there’s more diversity in builds.

Having a crapload of stat combinations just to use 1, maybe 2 of those stat combinations is just beyond stupid.

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

I absolutely agree on fractal 50 not being kittence you’ve mastered and got used to what to do. Then again some people struggling with fractal level 20 might disagree.

I just don’t get the point where you argue that for longer fights healing is required? Make content where fights take longer without healing being required. There are dozen of ways to do so while not breaking the current gamedesign.

On the one hand you complain about PvE being to easy, then you throw that thought right out the window by asking for healing to cover up for mistakes. Also don’t underestimate what some people can do and how long they can keep up rotations.

I don’t get this either – I do agree that making an encounter longer does increase its difficulty – if a fight took 5 hours straight it would take a severe toll and eventually even the best player would slip up – humans are finite in their ability to perform and eventually they’ll be overpowered by a fight’s length.

That being said I think there are more interesting ways of making things harder without making them last for a very long time and basically subjecting you to the same thing over and over and over again to test your endurance.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Harper.4173

That’s… nice?

So, you’re saying that people who play the way they want rather than following the meta, actually want to change the meta so that they’ll be following the meta? Isn’t it more likely that they just don’t care about the meta or don’t find the current meta play style fun? Cos that’s the “PHIW crowd” that I was referring to.

If your definition of PHIW is that narrow as to exclude the people I just mentioned then it probably shouldn’t be the term that you use to describe… whoever it is you’re talking about.

By the sounds of it, if most zerker players don’t care what other’s play then those zerker players actually are PHIW players. It just happens that the way they want to play is zerker.

If they didn’t care about the meta and meta players they wouldn’t be posting about it – they would be making their own groups and enjoying the game in their own way.
I’ve seen dozens of posts by mostly the same people asking for the game to be changed in some way so that the resulting meta will have to include their favorite way to play the game.

The problem most PHIW players have is not that there’s a meta – it’s that the meta is not including them and they want to be included so instead of finding other PHIW players they want the meta to change to include their build.
Because it’s easier and more convenient for them if that happens.

Cyninja.2954

I don’t get this either – I do agree that making an encounter longer does increase its difficulty – if a fight took 5 hours straight it would take a severe toll and eventually even the best player would slip up – humans are finite in their ability to perform and eventually they’ll be overpowered by a fight’s length.

That being said I think there are more interesting ways of making things harder without making them last for a very long time and basically subjecting you to the same thing over and over and over again to test your endurance.

What I’m saying is, adding healing (and likely tanking) mechanics to encounters is the most lazy design as far as difficulty is concerned.

There are multiple ways to make fights more challenging, length is seldom the most fun one. Just look at the Queen Pavillion, those fights barely took more than 1-3 Minutes, but were very fun (and challenging).

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Meta will always exist but what the Meta is changes based on new additions to the profession.

However, current Meta issue is that majority of the meta is mostly Zerker, Zerker, and Zerker with the mindset that Zerker is the only way to go if players want to get content done.

Hopefully HoT content starts leading to other builds outside of Zerker. Of course that may mean introducing mobs and fight that would punish players for going full Zerker and not having any Vit and Toughness in their gear set.

World – unchanged, because anyone can help anybody. And for major events where you have 50+ people, vit and toughness mean nothing with the scaling.
WvW – unchanged
Spvp – unchanged
Dungeons – unchanged
Raids – will need a support, no zerk meta.

Posted by: rotten.9753

rotten.9753

World – unchanged, because anyone can help anybody. And for major events where you have 50+ people, vit and toughness mean nothing with the scaling.
WvW – unchanged
Spvp – unchanged
Dungeons – unchanged
Raids – will need a support, no zerk meta.

It most likely won’t be so-called zerk meta for an average raider, especially near the launch. However, the only support that requires a gear to be stronger is reactive one, in other words healing. Every other proactive support is not gear-dependant (except runes/sigils). Like they say, prevention is better than cure.

I’d be more scared about required coordination and skill level rather than a simple mathematical gear.

Rashagar.8349

That’s… nice?

If they didn’t care about the meta and meta players they wouldn’t be posting about it – they would be making their own groups and enjoying the game in their own way.
I’ve seen dozens of posts by mostly the same people asking for the game to be changed in some way so that the resulting meta will have to include their favorite way to play the game.

The problem most PHIW players have is not that there’s a meta – it’s that the meta is not including them and they want to be included so instead of finding other PHIW players they want the meta to change to include their build.

Okay, but… it’s also possible that them wanting to be included is simply a knee-jerk reaction from them being actively excluded by a rather visible proportion of the community…

Making your own party might not occur to everyone, especially if they haven’t done the fractal/dungeon much and think that starting a party means that people who join it will be expecting some kind of expertise or leadership on their part.

But again, if “PHIW” only covers that very small cross-section of the total number of people who don’t run meta-builds (“dozens of posts by mostly the same people” isn’t a particularly large amount of players), then, by your definition it doesn’t include people who just find something else more fun or who just don’t pay attention to the meta, and lumping all of those people together under the umbrella of “non-meta” and treating them as if they all have the same motivations would be a form of prejudice.

A motivation of wanting to be included while also having fun… how dare they be so selfish…

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

The problem is a combination of what you described under A B and C – the problem is that non-meta players have asked for a change in order for them to better fit in the game and be taken along in parties and Anet has delivered a “solution” that will most likely have the opposite effect.

Non-meta players are non-meta for a reason – there’s enough reason to believe that if a player was part of the non-meta group at the height of the “zerker meta” that player will continue to be non-meta after the “post-raid HOT-meta” emerges.
So in a sense what Anet has done is replaced one meta with another one -but has not fixed the core issue : people’s complaints for lack of inclusion.

From what I’ve seen PHIW players overlap very heavily with non-meta players. I truly believe a meta-abiding player that also wanted to play a tank or healer is a rarity.

Yes – we might have enforced tanks and healers with HoT and thus we’ll need to take some tank and healer loving people along but if those people don’t abide by the meta and run “meta tank builds” and “meta healer builds” then those people will be excluded just as before.

The core aspect I believe is that the “exclusion” people complain about does not stem from roles or lack of roles but from mindset and goals – meta players exclude non-meta players.
That won’t change with HoT and it won’t change if the meta changes. As long as “PHIW” players continue to “play how they want” and refuse to adhere to a standardized optimal way of doing things there’s no reason for meta players to take them along.

This whole thing reminds me of that onion article that claimed all forms of parenting raised up miserable adults.

Players are a bit more complicated than being non-meta or not. I assume when you say “non-meta” here, you are referring to playing as groups with class composition and roles. Because when I divide players into more categories, I get different stories:

A)Players who play zerk now but would prefer healing/tank roles. These are probably rare, but also still exist. I’ll touch a bit on that later. But these people will be meta-staying meta.
B)Players who play healing/tank roles no matter what anyone says. These people will be happier because now they won’t get as much discrimination from the community. With the perceptions shifting, they will become non-meta becoming sort-of meta, depending on what kind of healing/tanking needs to be done.
C)Players who don’t play dungeons/fractals because there aren’t any healing/tank roles. These players might become interesting again if their desired playstyle is encouraged, but they also might be discouraged from past experiences. For raids, these could be considered prospective players from nowhere becoming meta.
D)Players who only play in their own guild who reinforces their desire to use healing/tank roles. These probably fit the non-meta archetype you’re talking about, since they aren’t likely to be paying attention to the meta in the first place. However, it is possible that with their roles desired, they would become more open to extra-guild activities. It is also possible that they’ll just stay in their guild.
E)Players who don’t know what is going on, and just happen to play healing/tank roles. These guys probably won’t be meta in the sense that it is unlikely that one will happenstance into the kind of builds and tactics that would be desired. But, this group tends to shrink and diverge off into one of the other categories.
F)Players who don’t play, period, because they think the combat is homogenized without tank/healing roles. These non-players might come back to the game if they hear things have changed, and thus can easily become meta. If they come back at all.
G)Players who play their own idealized version of their class, which may include healing/tank roles. These players aren’t likely to do anything for anyone, so the chances of each one individually becoming meta is unlikely.
H)Players who refuse to play meta out of principle. This group depends on the principle. Some hate the zerk meta, and other hate the idea of a meta in general, and others hate going with the flow. The first can become meta since they will leave this category, the second two not so much.

The inclusiveness problem will still exist. But it is theoretically possible to include more people than we are now.

Touch note: it might be all too late. You’ve touched on this a bit, too. An unfortunate fact is that a lot of the people who would’ve liked to have a tank/heal/DPS meta are gone. They left precisely because there was no holy trinity here. Thus, while their complaints echo throughout the internet, they aren’t coming back. The dominating nature of the current meta is caused in part by everyone who disagrees with the meta leaving the dungeon scene.

The introduction of F2P and HoT is the motivating factor. With an influx of new and returning players, Anet gets a chance to re-sell their combat system. To appeal to the classic MMO player who wants their tanks and their healers. If it brings in more money, what zerk meta players think won’t matter. The dollar is louder than the voice.

What’s wrong about grouping people? The line for me is simple : people who play like me and in a standardized way and everybody else.
Of course people that don’t play like me matter less (or at all) since I rely on them as effective teammates.

Historically the us vs. them mindset has not been the best one. You’ve got to include diversity in your opponents, or else you rob them of empathy.

Because it has been proven – and because at some point you’ll have to take some things “for granted” – have you personally bothered to check every fact you’ve been told and use on a day-to-day basis?

The interesting thing about “proof” is that it isn’t a consensus. Anyway, the grounds at which things have been proven and their appropriateness for each individual are all up for debate. While there is a theoretical best performance overall, one size doesn’t always fit all. The meta changes, too, and new records are set regularly. If the dynamic and selective nature of the meta was expounded on more, I’m certain it would be far less oppressive when players take it for granted.

Because this makes no sense – if you’re PHIW you can’t be meta – because if you’re playing *any other build then you are not playing a meta build.
And if you want to play meta builds then why weren’t you playing a meta build way before HoT?

Technicality: Zerk Meta players can be considered “PHIW”, if they do indeed want to play that way. Other players want their desired style of play to also be meta. I go into this more above, but it is very possible from a multitude of angles that a non-meta player will run meta builds, so long as that build’s role is to tank or heal. Also there are different degrees of how exclusionary things are, which is why we have terms like metazerk, metabuilds, metatactics, and metacomps. I imagine the actual number of people who only run ele/ele/war/mes/whatever the last class is parties, all using specific builds is quite rare. I see more demands for all heavies than that.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Okay, but… it’s also possible that them wanting to be included is simply a knee-jerk reaction from them being actively excluded by a rather visible proportion of the community…

Making your own party might not occur to everyone, especially if they haven’t done the fractal/dungeon much and think that starting a party means that people who join it will be expecting some kind of expertise or leadership on their part.

But again, if “PHIW” only covers that very small cross-section of the total number of people who don’t run meta-builds (“dozens of posts by mostly the same people” isn’t a particularly large amount of players), then, by your definition it doesn’t include people who just find something else more fun or who just don’t pay attention to the meta, and lumping all of those people together under the umbrella of “non-meta” and treating them as if they all have the same motivations would be a form of prejudice.

A motivation of wanting to be included while also having fun… how dare they be so selfish…

Far and away the largest motivation in both meta and non-meta groups is maximum convenience. The LFG is a convenience tool. The least amount of time and effort spent is an underlying concern. If convenience were not a major issue, then we would not see these discussions about meta-grouping. People would gravitate to the like-minded.

They don’t because that takes time and effort. Thus, we see people asking that any group in the LFG — at the moment they queue — accept them. And here it is. The desire to maximize one’s own convenience regardless of its impact on others is, by definition, selfish. This applies to meta players who join laissez-faire groups and try to enforce their playstyle as well as non-meta players who join fast-reward groups without having the desired gear and build.

Some meta players form groups, advertising the kind of play they want. Some non-meta players do the same. There are no doubt a myriad of reasons why people don’t want to form a group. Regardless, anyone who disregards the wishes of the people who made the effort to start one with a stated requirement are in fact acting selfishly.

People wanting to tank and heal are not the entirety of those who sought to change the PuG meta. I doubt they are the majority. So, what’s going to happen is the players who want to tank/heal and who meet the skill threshold for raids will be incorporated into the raid PuG meta — whatever it evolves to. Anyone who does not not meet the skill threshold will be kicked once this becomes apparent — regardless of role.

The more tightly-tuned raids are, the more skill, build and gear will matter. If raids are tuned very hard (to challenge the top 10% in player skill, say), we’re likely to see exclusion based on skill (you didn’t do X fast enough), build (you don’t have trait X slotted) and gear (ping full Asc. for your role or kick).

So, what Harper and others are saying is the the inclusion of required tanking and healing is only likely to please a small portion of those who’ve been complaining about exclusion based on gear/build/profession while increasing the overall number of those who are being excluded. If that number is too large, we’ll see raids nerfed, or maybe Anet will finally get that you cannot make one-size-fits-all challenging content and they will do raid tiers like WoW uses.

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

There might always be a meta, but at least other MMOs have diverse metas with a trinity. GW2 only has one. Zerk or gtfo. How sad, especially since GW2 was sold on variety.

IndigoSundown.5419

The difference is that the other MMO’s have an enforced trinity, and player-enforced build choices within those roles. I never found any diversity within a role, just that within the design-required roles. Of course, that was before LFR.

GW2 prior to HoT has a meta that featured glass gear with diverse ways to obtain the desired support, etc., with that diversity based on profession. The failure of GW2’s hard content was that it did not demand full use of all support options, control was too much of a bother for PuG’s because it is not necessary in many boss fights, stat balance is based on how stats work in PvP, and one or more professions do not provide the support options that are in demand.

The failings that make the GW2 dungeons succumb to a given play-style also opened up those dungeons to a wide assortment of player skill and a diverse amount of player builds and group comps. Without seeing raids, it’s hard to know for sure, but while they may enforce diversity in gear within a raid, they will not enable diversity within a role, nor are they likely to be as inclusive to diverse skill levels and playstyles.

Cyninja.2954

There might always be a meta, but at least other MMOs have diverse metas with a trinity. GW2 only has one. Zerk or gtfo. How sad, especially since GW2 was sold on variety.

So you are telling me I can enter any trinity MMO dungeon without a healer and succeed? What about without a tank?

Funny enough, I can do all those things in GW2. They might not be meta efficient, but they would work.

You’re so blinded by forced grouping and being denied choice, that you don’t even notice it.

Posted by: Cheby Shev.4671

Cheby Shev.4671

I’d like everyone to imagine a weekly leader board for content xyz. The top 50 fastest completion times each week in NA and top 50 in EU each get a legendary chest with some very desirable account bound item (rng-based). You can get on the leader board once for each of your characters, so each of your characters have the chance to get a weekly chest. That’s the environment I spent last year competing in. I never ran any PUGs, my guild ran everyone through the weekly with each of their max level characters so we could get multiple chests each week. The runs were highly optimized, and the guild competed for the fastest weekly time, earning number one many times, and holding the overall record on a few occasions. As a member of a raiding guild, I did what I was told, ran the gear and skills I was told to run, played the way I was told to play, and I think we succeeded because of that organization. We did not share our strategies or builds. We did not look for, or generally use exploits; but honestly, we did try an exploit this one time, because everyone knew about it, and it was just too funny not to try it. Bamm! 1 million damage, for the lols. Even though this was a trinity game, we were so optimized that under certain metas (the meta changed with balance patches) we were running some content with only one non-dps player out of 12 spots. This player was doing both tanking and healing. It was always a question of how to go faster, that was the entire point, and there was just no such thing as PHIW. In GW2, if you do the same content every week, or every day, in order to farm gold and materials, you appreciate an optimized group, even if there isn’t a leader board.

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

I think I’m going to be a particularly difficult individual, and just cut this next post up into little bits. Personally I find it hard not to, given its content and the lack of reference points.

You are a particularly difficult individual, I’ll give you that much.

First of all, no.
You’re wrong.

It should be self evident that, given the existence of a discussion, that one party is assuming the other party is wrong. It’s kind of a given.

The metagame in any MMO is the most mathematically optimal way of clearing content that develops after many hours, of many days of many weeks of many months of testing and developing builds until there is no further way to optimize your play.
That is literally all that it is.

The hilarious thing is how wrong this all is. Traditionally the metagame is a reference to using outside factors to influence how a game is played. In particular this is done in reference to how other people will be playing the game. This is important in the PVP side of things, since a player will make their build choices trying to counter a build the other player is using. Thus it is called “meta” or “abstract”. In PVP, the metagame is a thing. But in PVE, you don’t do this. The most appropriate term is optimum, not meta. But nonetheless everyone throws that term around, so we use it.

I will say one thing: given the intangible nature of the “meta”, the name might be appropriate. If we are to assume that meta is slowly built upon, this comes with the implicit assumption that the meta is always wrong, even in its own goals. It will be either improved upon eventually, or the nature of the game will change and thus it is no longer applicable.

Then we have the application of the meta. The mathematical extrapolations are only as good as their practical use in the real world. The theory is only as valuable as how well it explains reality. All the numbers on all the spreadsheets in the world don’t mean a thing if it doesn’t work. Thus, we have the appropriateness issue: given the skill level and experiences of the average player, what is mathematically the best is not always practically the best. For this individual, the "meta’ objectively does not produce the best results. Thus, there needs to be a necessary distinction: a theoretical optimum, and a practical optimum.

This is important, because the practical optimum is what Anet has to balance around. Things have to be hard but attainable for the average customer, not the top 5%. Otherwise people go away and take their cash elsewhere.

That’s what the term means. You can’t place a new meaning onto this term, base your assumptions and accusations around that meaning and expect it to be taken seriously.

Wrong again, my not-so-good man. Or… I don’t know your sex. Nevermind. Anyway, what I am doing here is not inventing. I am investigating. Analyzing. Discovering how the word is used. Diagnosing inconsistencies and impracticality. Language is dynamic, and glorious imprecise, my good not-so-good woman. English is an art as much as it is a science.

Sorry.

See, you say this, but I don’t believe you mean it.

That’s not how words work.
It’s not something made up – it’s an optimized form of play that has been mathematically proven to be the best (read: fastest, most efficient) way of repeatedly clearing content.

Let me pose to you a theoretical situation. Suppose someone cracked the code and created a new, mathematically best way to play the game. No one could find any errors in this code. Suppose also that no player was able to actually replicate this performance in the game. Whether it be by the structure of the content, the player skill, or completely unknown reasons, not a single person was able to reproduce this predicted result. Would then, that theory be meta? Even if no one can or ever will do it, and other things do better in practice?

When I say “invented” I don’t mean in a Godzilla-and-Barbie-have-tea-with-the-Queen kind of way. The meta is based around, in large part, fact. However, by its very dynamic nature it is necessarily fiction. The meta for fractals isn’t necessarily the same as the meta for dungeons, and each dungeon can have its own meta. Even in its roots, it is a flawed assumption that the mathematically optimum way to play is the “best”. I.E. people might be looking to have fun first and foremost, and not find the number crunched way to be fun. But that’s another topic for another day, my not-so-good eukaryote.

When I say a few, I’m referring to theorycrafters. Particularly PVE focused dungeon/fractal theorycrafters. When you compare the proportion of these that contributed to the meta to the people who didn’t, you’ll find it is quite the relatively tiny group.

Secondly, while you’re absolutely correct in what you said, which is essentially that player skill contributes to performance just as much as statistical optimization, you fail to realize how irrelevant that is.
The meta is the mathematical optimization. The meta gets played out through user performance, and they intersect. That was my point in the opening paragraph. That players who cannot master the user performance necessary to make the most use out of the mathematically optimal statistics, tend to drift away from them.

This just isn’t true. First, the meta is practical use. Math just plays a portion. Second, players who cannot master the tactics don’t drift away. They just keep playing. No one “masters” it. I see rants all the time about players playing with other players who think they’re doing meta stuff, but aren’t. Heck, I still see heavy only LFGs. I’ve seen the words Dunning-Kruger uttered in this game more times than I can count.

The thing with “mastery” is that it is ambiguous. You can’t measure it. You can’t quantify it. The idea that a player who follows the meta in the weakest sense will one day get up and proclaim themselves incompetent and stop trying is absurd. Preference in play is independent of competence in play. This should be self evident.

Thirdly, whether the meta should be considered the default form of play or not is entirely irrelevant and just an attempt for you to, yet again, characterize me as an elitist. It’s boring.

The problem is that this wasn’t a debate. You consider (or at least considered. You might not now that you are observing yourself) the meta as the default, and other people deviants. It ends there. When talking about the topic of this thread it is irrelevant, but when denying your elitism and the oppressive nature of the meta, which are tangentially related topics, then it is important.

Dude… or dudette. Dudine? Whatever. This would be a whole lot easier if you would just admit your elitism, then apologize and change your ways. The discussion on the nature of the new meta is not dependent on you being an elitist. It just so happened that you are a closet one.

Because the meta is the most efficient way to clear content – and this isn’t just GW2, but all MMORPG’s, ever – it is generally understood to be the standard form of play, as most players will generally aim to find the most efficient way to do the content they want to do. There is nothing wrong with detracting from that if someone wants to, nor is there anything wrong with acknowledging the existence of detractors.

This isn’t right either. The aim of most players is to have fun. This is a videogame. It is leisure time. There’s only a couple of different people who aim for optimum compositions. A) The person who enjoys the mental puzzle of optimizing. The person who wants to feel superior. C)The person who feels inadequate under the assumption that the optimum is demanded from them. See, this is why I keep calling you an elitist: your ideas are so backwards in how they follow through, that the only explanations are that you are thoroughly brainwashed or you’re the washer. And how you got to be a 1337357 isn’t my concern here.

Next point.
It is entirely your issue if you see faster as meaning better. Personally, for me, I DO find faster to be better, but that’s my subjective experience and as I’ve mentioned previously I understand there are people who don’t want to rush through their content. There’s nothing even remotely close to a superiority complex going on here.
I’m really concerned about the types of human reactions you’ve had to have such negative reaction to literally everything somebody says to you.

You’ve missed the point. You didn’t characterized non-adherents as just people. You denoted them as envious of how fast you are. A quality that you are admitting right now that you consider superior. You are constantly denying the validity of their complaints in the most dismissive ways.

The meta can still be better. Even if it has problems, then what is to say that the game won’t be improved upon even further later? Until it eventually reaches the Meta-Meta? The best way to be the best way?

You mention that the meta provides a societal pressure. That’s true, and that will always exist because the majority of players, and this is factual accuracy not what you will inevitably label my “superiority complex”, wish to play their game in the most time efficient way.

Myopia is a curse. The majority of players left the area for which there is a “meta”. Dungeons and Fractals are abandoned compared to other content. The only reason why it seems like everyone to you is because that’s who you hang out with.

The ironic thing, though, is that the current state of Guild Wars 2 actually very comfortably allows players do play whatever they Gods kitten ed wish to play. It’s as simple as putting “PHIW” into the party finder.
Very bizarre that people still find this difficult.

Except it doesn’t work. You put casual run, relaxed run, all welcome into the LFG and you still get metazerks who will come in and ruin your party, or you get no one at all. It doesn’t matter how theoretically relaxed it is if elitists will still come in and ruin everything. The roles have to be properly enforced, or else you end up with no role diversity.

You remind me of a quote I read earlier:
I’ve never met someone who didn’t justify their prejudices in experience. That’s why bigotry is so pervasive: no bigot thinks they’re a bigot. They just think they’re “right”.

It applies to you pretty well.

Prejudice requires having a set of beliefs applied before knowing someone. My issues with you come from what you have provided me. Continually.

I’m gonna finalise this discussion with this final point.

Yay I get last word.

When the new meta develops, I’m going to adapt to it. I’m going to play it, whether that means playing full zerk like I have been, or changing to clerics, or sentinels, or whatever the meta requires because that’s how I want to play. Efficiency is an important part of the way I play my games, and that’s all there is to it.

So you’re a PHIW?

And here’s the kicker – I know you’re gonna love this – there will still be people who refuse to play the meta.
The fun part is, this new content is going to be harder, more challenging, and a lot stricter.

So you’re going to take joy in other people’s malcontent, and are proud of how exclusive raids will be.

You just don’t get it: The zerker meta has an intrinsic problem to it, in that it doesn’t enforce traditional roles. Look, I’m not a fan of requiring tanks and healers myself. I like the self-sufficient action style combat. But I can’t deny that the role homogeneity GW2 has is a problem. I see it everywhere, all around the gaming world. “I don’t feel a sense of cooperation while playing GW2”, “GW2 feels homogenized and stale”, “I don’t the impact of my skills on other players”, “GW2 has a selfish combat system”, “GW2 feels like a single player game next to 5 people”, “Don’t try having no trinity, because GW2 tried that and look what happened”. I don’t even know what people mean when they say “look what happened” and yet the room nods in agreement.

There’s a point where stupidity becomes a sin. Repent and ye shall be saved.

Call me elitist all you want, it means absolutely nothing to me, but I think I’m going to enjoy playing the game a lot more than you.

Well, my not-so-good elitist, if you didn’t care then you wouldn’t have kept bringing it up. Who exactly do you think I am, anyway? Oh wait, final word. My bad. I’ll answer it for you: Queen of England, having tea with Godzilla and Barbie.

(edited by Blood Red Arachnid.2493)

Harper.4173

What I’m saying is, adding healing (and likely tanking) mechanics to encounters is the most lazy design as far as difficulty is concerned.

There are multiple ways to make fights more challenging, length is seldom the most fun one. Just look at the Queen Pavillion, those fights barely took more than 1-3 Minutes, but were very fun (and challenging).

Exactly this – there are ways – but they picked the easiest one.

Harper.4173

That’s… nice?

It’s nobody’s problem or fault that their way of playing the game is not what most players care for. Nobody is under any obligation to play with anybody else and honestly – if you can’t make your own LFG why should others do the work for you?

For me – like I said PHIW is playing non-meta – because you’re either playing meta or playing how you want which is something other than meta.
Sure – you could argue that players like me who play meta and enjoy it are also playing “how we want” but we still for all intents and purposes fall into the meta group regardless of our own enjoyment.

I’m not saying all these people who are “non-meta” are the same, nor that their motivations are the same – but from my perspective as long as they’re not meta everything else is irrelevant.

I don’t care that they’re not meta because they dislike the meta, or can’t run meta builds, or can’t afford meta gear – whatever the case – they are not optimal standardized teammates and from that perspective they’re “the same group” to me. The group I don’t want in my party if I’m trying to get stuff done.

Yes – they are selfish because their fun ruins my fun – and including them in my run is an infringement on my right to play the game however and with whomever I see fit.
Wanting the game to change so people are forced by encounter design to take you along is a terrible way to see things.

Harper.4173

stuff.

Category B as I see it will still be in trouble – by the simple fact that they’re not meta now means that they’re not so heavily invested into the concept of meta. Even if the new meta includes healers and tanks there’s a high chance they won’t be playing the meta version of healer and tank given the overall trend they’ve set by not changing to a meta build even when meta is so much more effective than healer and tank in the current state of the game.

The problem for me I guess is that I see most non-meta players are category H – since I don’t see any good reasons for not wanting to play meta in this or any other state of the game. Perhaps I’m wrong.

With raids being very difficult I find it hard to believe a lot of the categories you mention will have a good time at raids – I feel it’ll be mostly dungeon/FOTM veterans who’ll have a good time at it – with most non-hardcore players trying it out – failing – and generally leaving it alone or crying on the forums. Some will adapt to meta tactics – most will not and demand a content nerf.

The theory of including more people – I can see what you’re saying but let’s not forget the content is harder so while roles mean more people overall could find a place in the new content the increased difficulty coupled with stricter requirements (maybe 2-3 sets , maybe full ascended, maybe specific and expensive foods) might make it that less players actually get to be part of this new content.

For a player to be meta in the “meta zerk dungeon” state of the game all you really needed was exotic berserker – and your rune set and sigils and you were good to go.
The new HoT Raid meta may require a much higher individual investment to become meta or even viable.

Touch note: it might be all too late. You’ve touched on this a bit, too. An unfortunate fact is that a lot of the people who would’ve liked to have a tank/heal/DPS meta are gone. They left precisely because there was no holy trinity here.

I actually feel this is the case – I feel that the vast majority of players that are with GW2 now are not a trinity-loving or wanting lot – because they’ve stayed with a no-trinity “meta zerk” game for 3 years now.
3 years is a long time and I think most trinity, tank and healer lovers have given up and moved on by now. Sure there are stragglers and hybrids and whatnot – but I feel that for the majority of the player base adding in hard roles and a trinity now is going to be a bad move.
We’ll have to see how it’s implemented and how “required” and forced the roles are.
We’ll have to see if the new FTP players get a chance to grow and adapt or if their
hopes and dreams are squished by a new “Zerk meta” before they can grow into a loud enough trinity-loving voice.
Let’s not forget Raids are very end-game – before they get a chance to do raid content with roles they’ll be hit by the zerker meta in every dungeon and most other forms of instanced content – I speculate trinity and hard role lovers won’t stick with the game long enough to get to the actual trinity/role raids because of their initial contact with “meta zerk” at the beginning of the game – which as far as I’m concerned isn’t bad.

Harper.4173

Historically the us vs. them mindset has not been the best one. You’ve got to include diversity in your opponents, or else you rob them of empathy.

For me it’s very much us versus them – it can be players like me that I enjoy playing the game with and that I can work together with or it can be other types that I dislike associating with. I have no room for empathy – especially in a virtual environment.

The interesting thing about “proof” is that it isn’t a consensus. Anyway, the grounds at which things have been proven and their appropriateness for each individual are all up for debate. While there is a theoretical best performance overall, one size doesn’t always fit all. The meta changes, too, and new records are set regularly. If the dynamic and selective nature of the meta was expounded on more, I’m certain it would be far less oppressive when players take it for granted.

Still – you can use it “yard stick” and be practical : with equal skill level a team using builds off metabattle and running the suggested gear and traits will outperform a team that – again at the same skill level – decided to wear and use whatever they felt like.

Technicality: Zerk Meta players can be considered “PHIW”, if they do indeed want to play that way. Other players want their desired style of play to also be meta. I go into this more above, but it is very possible from a multitude of angles that a non-meta player will run meta builds, so long as that build’s role is to tank or heal. Also there are different degrees of how exclusionary things are, which is why we have terms like metazerk, metabuilds, metatactics, and metacomps. I imagine the actual number of people who only run ele/ele/war/mes/whatever the last class is parties, all using specific builds is quite rare. I see more demands for all heavies than that.

While I agree with you ultimately what you want to have as a meta player is standardization – you want as many people playing the builds that are most effective in order to maximize the chance of finding effective and efficient teammates with which to clear the content fast and get as much gain at the end of the run as possible.

Posted by: Eponet.4829

Eponet.4829

Still – you can use it “yard stick” and be practical : with equal skill level a team using builds off metabattle and running the suggested gear and traits will outperform a team that – again at the same skill level – decided to wear and use whatever they felt like.

It’s not an even curve. That holds true at certain skill levels, but, try running low level content and you’ll see that it doesn’t hold true at every skill level.

Things go much more smoothly among people that aren’t good at either executing encounter mechanics or bursting down encounters before they have much of a chance to fight back when they’re not constantly getting downed every time a minor swing comes.

Low level players in their balanced gear actually do better than a number of 80s that just grabbed berserker gear and never learned how to actually use the mechanics.

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Category B as I see it will still be in trouble – by the simple fact that they’re not meta now means that they’re not so heavily invested into the concept of meta. Even if the new meta includes healers and tanks there’s a high chance they won’t be playing the meta version of healer and tank given the overall trend they’ve set by not changing to a meta build even when meta is so much more effective than healer and tank in the current state of the game.

The problem for me I guess is that I see most non-meta players are category H – since I don’t see any good reasons for not wanting to play meta in this or any other state of the game. Perhaps I’m wrong.

With raids being very difficult I find it hard to believe a lot of the categories you mention will have a good time at raids – I feel it’ll be mostly dungeon/FOTM veterans who’ll have a good time at it – with most non-hardcore players trying it out – failing – and generally leaving it alone or crying on the forums. Some will adapt to meta tactics – most will not and demand a content nerf.

The theory of including more people – I can see what you’re saying but let’s not forget the content is harder so while roles mean more people overall could find a place in the new content the increased difficulty coupled with stricter requirements (maybe 2-3 sets , maybe full ascended, maybe specific and expensive foods) might make it that less players actually get to be part of this new content.

The categories are quite soft. I haven’t done a full statistical analysis or anything, so the scales and categories can swing wildly.

The difficulty of the raids might be an issue. Though it might be temporary. I’ve been on MMOs that have raids before, and much like pretty much everything in an MMO, it is a puzzle. True PVE difficulty is quite rare, IMO. Most things in videogames are elaborately disguised puzzles. The hard part is figuring out how to do it. But once that puzzle has been solved, doing it again isn’t nearly as tough.

The first weeks will be brutal, and shattered keyboards will litter the streets. Over time, the code will be cracked, and the entire raid can be summarized as “move here, dodge once forward, strafe counter-clockwase, jump twice, watch tell, interrupt, DPS phase, retreat and repeat”. Well, a lot more elaborate than that, but basically a series of dance steps. The rumors of enforced roles will be encouraging. The difficulty discouraging, but it gets easier over time.

For a player to be meta in the “meta zerk dungeon” state of the game all you really needed was exotic berserker – and your rune set and sigils and you were good to go.
The new HoT Raid meta may require a much higher individual investment to become meta or even viable.

Definitely. Masteries are already nearly a requirement.

I actually feel this is the case – I feel that the vast majority of players that are with GW2 now are not a trinity-loving or wanting lot – because they’ve stayed with a no-trinity “meta zerk” game for 3 years now.
3 years is a long time and I think most trinity, tank and healer lovers have given up and moved on by now. Sure there are stragglers and hybrids and whatnot – but I feel that for the majority of the player base adding in hard roles and a trinity now is going to be a bad move.

We’ll have to see how it’s implemented and how “required” and forced the roles are.
We’ll have to see if the new FTP players get a chance to grow and adapt or if their
hopes and dreams are squished by a new “Zerk meta” before they can grow into a loud enough trinity-loving voice.
Let’s not forget Raids are very end-game – before they get a chance to do raid content with roles they’ll be hit by the zerker meta in every dungeon and most other forms of instanced content – I speculate trinity and hard role lovers won’t stick with the game long enough to get to the actual trinity/role raids because of their initial contact with “meta zerk” at the beginning of the game – which as far as I’m concerned isn’t bad.

It is quite the gamble Anet is taking here. I suppose they’re assuming that older content will just be dubbed “legacy” content and be largely abandoned like some other MMOs do. Then when experienced dungeon runners become more scarce, there won’t be as much pressure to conform to that particular meta. Maybe the fact that they’re “old” will mean that players won’t consider the zerkmeta as having much weight, and thus will focus more on what the “harder” stuff needs.

That or Anet didn’t think it through and are being all “idealized” over this.

Posted by: Canakun.8031

Canakun.8031

I agree with you, but not everyone will. Like I said in my OP, there are factors that may make it difficult for other players to master things that you or I take for granted – like prebuffing, etc.
From my experience, these tend to be age, ability, latency, or a combination of those three.

Mamorou Itou Defense Club.
Protect him at all costs.

Canakun.8031

That’s… nice?

I think it’s more like that most of the people who complain, on the forums especially, about the strictness of the meta are complaining that the way they want to play isn’t the most desired way. It’s pretty bizarre to think of it like that, I know, but unfortunately that’s how it is.
That’s why Anet is introducing the need for dedicated healing – they listened to what they though the PHIW crowd were asking for.

Canakun.8031

Far and away the largest motivation in both meta and non-meta groups is maximum convenience. The LFG is a convenience tool. The least amount of time and effort spent is an underlying concern. If convenience were not a major issue, then we would not see these discussions about meta-grouping. People would gravitate to the like-minded.

They don’t because that takes time and effort. Thus, we see people asking that any group in the LFG — at the moment they queue — accept them. And here it is. The desire to maximize one’s own convenience regardless of its impact on others is, by definition, selfish. This applies to meta players who join laissez-faire groups and try to enforce their playstyle as well as non-meta players who join fast-reward groups without having the desired gear and build.

Some meta players form groups, advertising the kind of play they want. Some non-meta players do the same. There are no doubt a myriad of reasons why people don’t want to form a group. Regardless, anyone who disregards the wishes of the people who made the effort to start one with a stated requirement are in fact acting selfishly.

People wanting to tank and heal are not the entirety of those who sought to change the PuG meta. I doubt they are the majority. So, what’s going to happen is the players who want to tank/heal and who meet the skill threshold for raids will be incorporated into the raid PuG meta — whatever it evolves to. Anyone who does not not meet the skill threshold will be kicked once this becomes apparent — regardless of role.

The more tightly-tuned raids are, the more skill, build and gear will matter. If raids are tuned very hard (to challenge the top 10% in player skill, say), we’re likely to see exclusion based on skill (you didn’t do X fast enough), build (you don’t have trait X slotted) and gear (ping full Asc. for your role or kick).

So, what Harper and others are saying is the the inclusion of required tanking and healing is only likely to please a small portion of those who’ve been complaining about exclusion based on gear/build/profession while increasing the overall number of those who are being excluded. If that number is too large, we’ll see raids nerfed, or maybe Anet will finally get that you cannot make one-size-fits-all challenging content and they will do raid tiers like WoW uses.

You worded it better than I could have hoped to.

Canakun.8031

So you’re going to take joy in other people’s malcontent, and are proud of how exclusive raids will be.

Yes.
Now go away.

Posted by: Neox.3497

Neox.3497

That’s… nice?

I think it’s more like that most of the people who complain, on the forums especially, about the strictness of the meta are complaining that the way they want to play isn’t the most desired way. It’s pretty bizarre to think of it like that, I know, but unfortunately that’s how it is.
That’s why Anet is introducing the need for dedicated healing – they listened to what they though the PHIW crowd were asking for.

They will be more welcome, but not in every group. Just like not every zerker will be able to join any group (example: a zerker wants to join a group full of zerkers already).

If anet balances the fights (AND the professions) the right way that results in a meta like 6 berserkers, 2 sentinels and 2 clerics (as I already said) you could play so much more that isn’t berserker, sentinel or cleric by playing a mix of them BASED on your group. For example 4 berserkers, 4 soldiers and 2 clerics or 4 berserkers and 6 celestials without needing 10x more time to complete the content than the current meta.

The main reason why you can play what you want right now is that the content is relativly “easy”. However if you decide not to follow the meta right now it will take MUCH LONGER which isn’t a good design.

Also isn’t a big part of an MMO playing your own role or better FINDING your role in a group? Remember that raids aren’t meant to be played in a pub and that you and your group must find the right combination of professions, builds and equipment (that you own) to succeed the content.

Obviously that won’t be that easy for anet to make because of the profession balance, but that’s what they said and aimed for. If they are able to deliver on what they said the new (raid) meta could be one of the best, most flexible and most BALANCED metas.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

There may always be another meta, but maybe not so pervasive a meta. In Guild Wars 1 the meta for DOA was different from the meta for the Underworld. There wasn’t 1 meta for PvE stop.

Posted by: kolompi.1287

kolompi.1287

There may always be another meta, but maybe not so pervasive a meta. In Guild Wars 1 the meta for DOA was different from the meta for the Underworld. There wasn’t 1 meta for PvE stop.

In Guild Wars 1 you could solo most “high-end” pve content using SF and consumables. Pretty hard pve eh?

Besides, this whole meta argument is really unnecessary. The meta is merely the most optimal way of doing things. Nobody really forces you to use it. All the people hating on the berserker’s stats are hating on something they don’t understand.

(edited by kolompi.1287)

Posted by: Reikou.7068

Reikou.7068

There will always be A META. But the meta does take time to develop, tested and accecpted.

Now… While I doubt anet accomplish this at all, devs can delay the solidification of a specific meta indefinitely by the continuous modification and updating of existing content.

Skill balances and changes and mob balances and positioning changes all happening every day for example would be a huge damper in solidifying a meta.

Reikou/Reira/Iroha/Sengiku/Rinoka/Kuruse/Sakuho/Kinae/Yuzusa/Kikurin/Otoha/Hasue/Mioko
https://www.youtube.com/AilesDeLumiere
http://www.twitch.tv/ailesdelumiere

(edited by Reikou.7068)

Posted by: thrag.9740

thrag.9740

There isn’t really one now. If you’re using the same exact build for all encounters, you are not playing the most efficient tactic available (meta).

Most people who think they are running meta, are really just running logical builds which have a well defined purpose. Running a cookie cutter build off metabattle is often wrong, especially when your pug’s party composition is random, based on who happens to be reading the lfg when you post.

Posted by: DavidGX.7240

DavidGX.7240

Of course there will always be people pushing “the meta.” But those are just stupid people being stupid. I play what’s fun for me.

“Those who go mad are merely thoughtful souls who failed to reach any conclusions.”

Cyninja.2954

Of course there will always be people pushing “the meta.” But those are just stupid people being stupid. I play what’s fun for me.

No one is pushing any meta. Metas develope over time through and with the community.

You seem not to understand what meta actually means. But kudos to you for playing the way you want. If more people would do so, this disscussion and bs would not exist.

DavidGX.7240

No one is pushing any meta. Metas develope over time through and with the community.

You seem not to understand what meta actually means. But kudos to you for playing the way you want. If more people would do so, this disscussion and bs would not exist.

Plenty of people in-game push it. “RUNNING BLAHBLAH DUNGEON 80S EXP IDIOTMETABUILDONLY PING CHEST!”

I understand what it is, I just don’t agree with saving a small amount of time over having more fun playing the game.

“Those who go mad are merely thoughtful souls who failed to reach any conclusions.”

Cyninja.2954

Plenty of people in-game push it. “RUNNING BLAHBLAH DUNGEON 80S EXP IDIOTMETABUILDONLY PING CHEST!”

I understand what it is, I just don’t agree with saving a small amount of time over having more fun playing the game.

That’s not pushing a meta. That is people actively searching for similar minded players. The fact that you are swayed by someone elses LFG says more about you than about people pushing an agenda.

Pushing a meta would be going on the forums and telling everyone else how and what to play, or demanding change so a new meta ist established.

You have a couple of things backwards.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

In Guild Wars 1 you could solo most “high-end” pve content using SF and consumables. Pretty hard pve eh?

Besides, this whole meta argument is really unnecessary. The meta is merely the most optimal way of doing things. Nobody really forces you to use it. All the people hating on the berserker’s stats are hating on something they don’t understand.

I don’t know a whole lot of people that could solo DOA, Slaver’s Exile, The Deep, or Urgoz’s warren, nor beat the Underworld (though you could farm it for ectos).

DavidGX.7240

That’s not pushing a meta. That is people actively searching for similar minded players. The fact that you are swayed by someone elses LFG says more about you than about people pushing an agenda.

Pushing a meta would be going on the forums and telling everyone else how and what to play, or demanding change so a new meta ist established.

It’s no longer a few people searching for like minded individuals when EVERYONE is requiring it.

Cyninja.2954

It’s no longer a few people searching for like minded individuals when EVERYONE is requiring it.

Not true, this has been brought up multiple times. The fact that many LFGs are up looking for zerker etc. does not mean that every one does.

It juse means that groups not looking for such stats fill up faster and leave the LFG system. You should open a couple of LFGs with “any one welcome” in the header. It will fill up in no time.

Harper.4173

It’s not an even curve. That holds true at certain skill levels, but, try running low level content and you’ll see that it doesn’t hold true at every skill level.

Things go much more smoothly among people that aren’t good at either executing encounter mechanics or bursting down encounters before they have much of a chance to fight back when they’re not constantly getting downed every time a minor swing comes.

Low level players in their balanced gear actually do better than a number of 80s that just grabbed berserker gear and never learned how to actually use the mechanics.

I agree with you but from all practical points I don’t think there’ll be much room in raids for people that can’t manage current dungeons in zerker gear because of the content’s “difficulty”.

I certainly hope that raids are hard – and I certainly hope they’re hard enough that they would require serious skill and coordination, proper timing and reflex – not just the addition of heavier armor so you can soak up the damage or heals to heal through it.

Again – I cannot stress this enough – I hope raids are hard enough that not just anyone who still fails CoF P1 can go in and complete like it’s no problem. If they’re not they’ll just become dungeons 2.0.

Harper.4173

The categories are quite soft. I haven’t done a full statistical analysis or anything, so the scales and categories can swing wildly.

The difficulty of the raids might be an issue. Though it might be temporary. I’ve been on MMOs that have raids before, and much like pretty much everything in an MMO, it is a puzzle. True PVE difficulty is quite rare, IMO. Most things in videogames are elaborately disguised puzzles. The hard part is figuring out how to do it. But once that puzzle has been solved, doing it again isn’t nearly as tough.

The first weeks will be brutal, and shattered keyboards will litter the streets. Over time, the code will be cracked, and the entire raid can be summarized as “move here, dodge once forward, strafe counter-clockwase, jump twice, watch tell, interrupt, DPS phase, retreat and repeat”. Well, a lot more elaborate than that, but basically a series of dance steps. The rumors of enforced roles will be encouraging. The difficulty discouraging, but it gets easier over time.

Definitely. Masteries are already nearly a requirement.

It is quite the gamble Anet is taking here. I suppose they’re assuming that older content will just be dubbed “legacy” content and be largely abandoned like some other MMOs do. Then when experienced dungeon runners become more scarce, there won’t be as much pressure to conform to that particular meta. Maybe the fact that they’re “old” will mean that players won’t consider the zerkmeta as having much weight, and thus will focus more on what the “harder” stuff needs.

I agree about the difficulty – it will most likely be a puzzle-like structure – I’m somewhat disappointed by this but it was to be expected.

I had forgotten about masteries as a hard gate – I’m also now looking forward to the “mastery meta” – which by design will be very exclusion-based. I find it funny that they advertise raids like " you don’t need attunements and you can jump right in" but leave out the part where if you don’t have X mastery to Y level you will fail miserably because of a hard gate.

I feel it’s a technicality that they’re letting you in with no problems only to have you fail inside so they can say there are no hindrances to entering the content.

As for the dungeon meta changing from zerk to something else – I don’t see it – most people who run dungeons now and in the future will do it because of the gold and necessary tokens ( for skins and legendary weapons and whatnot) and as such will try then as they try now – to get it done as fast as possible.

After I finish my dungeon collection ( COE left) I will probably never touch them again unless I need to for some reason ( gold? new items?) but if I do touch them I’ll be sure I’ll want to spend as little time as possible there.

If the development history of this game is any indication – this will most likely be the case. There have been numerous examples of them leaping head first only to botch things and a lot of people have lost faith.
The recent year has been spent slowly crawling out of the pit they were in and finding their feet – if this trend continues or if HoT delivers another spectacular flop – that only time can tell us.

Harper.4173

This is exactly it – thank you for wording it out so well – I don’t realize how I missed your post earlier.

Posted by: Croc.5129

Croc.5129

As long as the base mechanics of gw2 remain the same, just changing encounter design to truly change the meta of what a skilled play means is either going to be an exercise in futility (the greatest damage gear still expresses the greatest skill, the people who can pull it off are just diminished in number) or a cheap changing of the goalposts (enemies immune to critical hits, projectiles straight up immune to reflection or absorption, completely unavoidable damage).

Trying to make a game with a non-traditional trinity while implementing stats in the exact same way a traditional trinity game does fosters this pointless back and forth with no end in sight. There was no inclusion of tools that transformed the way one plays in defensive gear in comparison to how dodge was able to change the playstyle of those with less inherent mitigation. So they work the exact same way in an environment where they do not belong. No innovation, no progress.

Encounter design may not be very impressive now, but any changes made will not change the truth that the path of mastery will remain the same, even if fewer people are capable of playing it. The game simply lacks the tools to support any other playstyle without making it a cheap, shallow gimmick. Some stats are just too detached from meaningful ability modification for a few raid design choices to properly fix.

Neox.3497

“saving a small amount of time” hahahaha

Posted by: Ninjeff.6510

Ninjeff.6510

I think only average and below average skilled players are constricted by the current Meta. Because these players are less skilled they have to bring the “best comp” to clear content.

The good players can most likely play what they want because they can play it at a higher skill lvl. These players usually define the Meta by testing and finding the best solutions for problems.

Posted by: Windsagio.1340

Windsagio.1340

I think only average and below average skilled players are constricted by the current Meta. Because these players are less skilled they have to bring the “best comp” to clear content.

The good players can most likely play what they want because they can play it at a higher skill lvl. These players usually define the Meta by testing and finding the best solutions for problems.

It’s a question of motivation;

The good players that aren’t stuck on optimization do what you say. The problem is that’s a pretty small group. Most good players, especially in the dungeon/fractal environment are really into optimizaiton even when it’s not super meaningful.

Neox.3497

Uhm… I not sure but I thought our current “meta” would also be the highest skill lvl? (For dungeons). I can’t imagine pros playing something else than zerk to do an easy dungeon lol.

IndigoSundown.5419

Uhm… I not sure but I thought our current “meta” would also be the highest skill lvl? (For dungeons). I can’t imagine pros playing something else than zerk to do an easy dungeon lol.

The current meta under discussion is the PuG meta. Most of the complaints about it start with, “I can’t get into a dungeon group on LFG with gear/build X.” or some variation thereof. The only things most posters know about the high-end meta is from watching Youtube.