This is unplayable as solo.

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Aytheist.9476

Aytheist.9476

This expansion plays like one big sloppy raid. There is no way to avoid group content, there is way too much conflict crammed into too small a space, and the 3D mapping implementation is awful.

Repetitive dying and spawning is for Raids. There needs to be a way to opt out, or at least walk around, all that ridiculous group content that is constantly spammed into the face of every player that enters.

Posted by: HipposWild.7185

HipposWild.7185

Seriously in order to get access to your elite spec you better just run around with a group of 10 people or close the game… It’s not skill just because it requires lots of people to stand there and press 1

#1 of all #1 players as ranked by a fair and unbiased committee

Posted by: DistantStatic.6098

DistantStatic.6098

I feel like you have complained about group content before and I said the same thing and recommended you find yourself another game.

So here it is again. MMORPG. MMO = Massive Online Multiplayer. The concept still seems to glaze over people.

I REALLY don’t want another Orr where mobs are mowed down and there is no challenge whatsoever and that’s what people got when they complained about having to cooperate with others. Content that was easily solo-able therefore making any sort of grouping USELESS.

You CLEARLY do not want an MMORPG, PLEASE go find another game.

lvl80 Guardian lvl80 Ranger lvl80 Elementalist lvl80 Thief …. Why do I list these anymore?
Toyota Car Dealers [TCD]

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

I feel like you have complained about group content before and I said the same thing and recommended you find yourself another game.

So here it is again. MMORPG. MMO = Massive Online Multiplayer. The concept still seems to glaze over people.

I REALLY don’t want another Orr where mobs are mowed down and there is no challenge whatsoever and that’s what people got when they complained about having to cooperate with others. Content that was easily solo-able therefore making any sort of grouping USELESS.

You still have not learned what Multi Player Online means.

Its like in the real world .. you don’t invite every hobo you see on the street
or in the train into your home all day to have a party. Even if tthey live in
the same world.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: OneKlicKill.4285

OneKlicKill.4285

My issue is when you spen 20 minutes navigating to a hero point and then its a 5 man minimum group challenge which when attempted you lose and cant get back for another 30 minutes of climbing agian.

If they just simply made the Hero challenges soloable the game would be fine as is. I shouldn’t have to have 4 people minimum to play the game.

Please skill/trait split and give control to the PvP team. Karl is fucking killing us

Posted by: TRon.2610

TRon.2610

Seriously in order to get access to your elite spec you better just run around with a group of 10 people or close the game… It’s not skill just because it requires lots of people to stand there and press 1

Your’re correct and I closed the game, if and when they ever make some adjustments I will open it again. I love SOLO play , played the entire GW2 SOLO and enjoyed it. Wish I could get a refund but I bought my HOT at a Retailer and its been over 30 days.

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

My issue is when you spen 20 minutes navigating to a hero point and then its a 5 man minimum group challenge which when attempted you lose and cant get back for another 30 minutes of climbing agian.

If they just simply made the Hero challenges soloable the game would be fine as is. I shouldn’t have to have 4 people minimum to play the game.

… Unless of course, its by design.

GW2 is an MMO after all. Not a singleplayer adventure game. Is it really that odd that you cant complete some challenges alone? You should easily be able to take 80% of brink alone for example. What if the other 20% is meant to be a little harder group content? Like, I dont know… a challenge of some sort?

Beldin.5498

Open wold should simply be soloable at 90% or whatever like in the old zones
and group events should take place in easy to access areas and give rewards to
all players that participate ..

I mean even in a guild how often would you bother other players to help you
on all your alts to come to help you at hero points that are hard to reach and
were they get nothing as reward ?

But maybe at some point we have hero point sellers ..

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.

Posted by: Twisey.2081

Twisey.2081

Uhm. I second the person who says they offer help instead of saying get good. My player tag is my name, or Twisey.2081 add me, I’ll look at my followers every time I log in. If I’m message me, I love doing content. I’m playing every moment I’m not at work or college. Looking forward to seeing you in the jungle!

Posted by: misterman.1530

misterman.1530

GW2 is an MMO after all. Not a singleplayer adventure game. Is it really that odd that you cant complete some challenges alone? You should easily be able to take 80% of brink alone for example. What if the other 20% is meant to be a little harder group content? Like, I dont know… a challenge of some sort?

Yeah. They could call this group content…I dunno…Basements…no…no…oooo…how about Dungeons? Then they could also have things where lots of people get together to do an even bigger Dungeon…let’s call them…um…Raids. Yeah. That works. Then Anet could also devise a unique sort of Dungeon called “fractals”. /sarcasm

Posted by: zapv.8051

zapv.8051

Most of the events and champ skill points are soloable, it is just much much more difficult then it used to be. I’ve done several of them solo, but it is much easier to type into say or map chat for a few people. Also, this content diverges from the content in the rest of tyria intentionally. They don’t want people soloing the hardest content, that is fine.

Necros don’t have reflects, invulns, vigor, blocks,
extra dodges, real stability, mobility skills,
burst skills, sustain, or good support. GG ANET.

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

Accurate. Even when I see 10 others and we try to take down a champ the encounter times out. Solo PVE isn’t a thing in HoT

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: NoxInfernus.2361

NoxInfernus.2361

It can be done solo, but the problem I’ve encountered is that we (the playerbase) have been spoon fed ‘easy mode’ in the Core game for so long that now that Anet has turned things up to 11, we are having a difficult time.

Some of us will adapt over time (and many tears), some of us will leave for easier/ less stressful fair.

Of course there is a 3rd prediction …

Anyone remember Orr after the Game launched?
Look at it now.

Posted by: OneKlicKill.4285

OneKlicKill.4285

I mean I 100% map completed in vanilla solo, I’ve never even asked people for help in this game because its not hard.

The thing is is its not a skill based challenge, its simply scaled so you can not complete it without 5 people. And the fact it is in a extremely hard to reach place means no one is wondering around there.

If it was skill based id be all for it but when it has a break bar and you cant deal damage unless breaking it or it spawns 3+ veterans that can all nearly 1 shot you (and this is on rev with decent toughness, not a glass) You realize it wasn’t designed for solo play, and thats my only option because my guild does fractas and raids, not WvW or PvE (that and WvW is even less fun than dying in pve for me…. And I’m only grinding these HPs because I need herald to play the parts of the game I actually want to play… Just make the hard to reach points soloable thats all im asking. because even wehn i get help from people on the map they end up not being able to get to me half the time and give up or it takes 45 minutes for them to get there or an event is blocking the only waypoints etc etc.. its just a waist of kittening time.

Please skill/trait split and give control to the PvP team. Karl is fucking killing us

Posted by: Slowpokeking.8720

Slowpokeking.8720

The majority of the Open World content should be soloable.

Beldin.5498

Most of the events and champ skill points are soloable, it is just much much more difficult then it used to be. I’ve done several of them solo, but it is much easier to type into say or map chat for a few people. Also, this content diverges from the content in the rest of tyria intentionally. They don’t want people soloing the hardest content, that is fine.

RAIDS are the hardest content .. they made that specially for you people that
cried for harder content.
Open world is NOT the hardest content, and nobody wanted to have open world
as hardest content.

Heck even Everquest 2 learned 1 year after release that nearly nobody played all
those group-content mobs in the open world and removed most of them to make
most of the open world soloable. Can’t understand why ANet now tries to copy
one oft the failures why EQ2 had so much less players than WoW.

Posted by: Stormbolt.7293

Stormbolt.7293

It’s almost like it’s one big massive multiplayer game played online!

Posted by: DistantStatic.6098

DistantStatic.6098

And be stuck with kittens like you, kitten no!

I always find people who make posts that say something like “GET GOOD!!! GET A GROUP!!!” amusing. You think if they were so big on grouping and the social aspects of MMOs, they’d say something like “Why don’t you run with us? Send me a tell in game!” But nope, lets just be rude to people on the forums. XD

Because they actively refuse to group. 9/10 times they are always saying “I don’t want to play with anyone”. This is also not the point of the post. The point of the post is THEY DO NOT WANT TO PLAY WITH OTHERS.

You still have not learned what Multi Player Online means.

Its like in the real world .. you don’t invite every hobo you see on the street
or in the train into your home all day to have a party. Even if tthey live in
the same world.

When you vote, do you chose who you are voting with? Do you actively go find people to vote with you? You don’t, you go as an individual pare. The large cooperate to get things done. Large businesses for example, does the bagger constantly need to talk to cooperate accounting, go to dinner with them, meet the wife and kids? No, in fact they will probably never meet even if they switched around jobs as per switching roles and activities in game. There are constantly other people out there doing the same thing you are, especially now when there is a giant rush to get the content done vs a few days ago where everyone was just sitting in LA.

And yeah, kittens a bit more difficult this time around especially if you’re running around in full zerker expecting to 3 shot everything after they said they were going to do their best to do away with that.

lvl80 Guardian lvl80 Ranger lvl80 Elementalist lvl80 Thief …. Why do I list these anymore?
Toyota Car Dealers [TCD]

(edited by DistantStatic.6098)

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

The majority of the Open World content should be soloable.

And the majority is, that’s the point.

Anyone remember Orr after the Game launched

I spent 4 hours doing Arah with guildies the first time. We didnt complete it. We just couldnt.

Today, players can solo it :/

Posted by: Notsoperky.2348

Notsoperky.2348

And be stuck with kittens like you, kitten no!

I always find people who make posts that say something like “GET GOOD!!! GET A GROUP!!!” amusing. You think if they were so big on grouping and the social aspects of MMOs, they’d say something like “Why don’t you run with us? Send me a tell in game!” But nope, lets just be rude to people on the forums. XD

Because they actively refuse to group. 9/10 times they are always saying “I don’t want to play with anyone”. This is also not the point of the post. The point of the post is THEY DO NOT WANT TO PLAY WITH OTHERS.

LFG all hero challenges, will die a lot and spend a lot of time running back after falling off paths, dying to one shot mechanics or timing out on events, be available to run my multiple wvw specced toons over the next few months.

I’m not sure how many people will be willing to help for the 500th time after someone asks in map chat for help on a hero point only to find after an hour of trying to help that they are 3m exp short of opening some dumb mastery that is required to progress to that hero point- in fact, I doubt many people will replay the maps once they have achieved their own masteries so it might become a real struggle to gather even 5 people to attempt some of the time mastery challenges.

What’s even worse if that even in wvw to obtain elites will mean playing that toon for hundreds of hours or bringing it into pve, when it might only be needed for 2 hours on a reset but needs the elite to fit the build spec for the raid.

I see 6-12 months from now ‘hero challenge boosters’ or similar being a drop from BL chests..

Posted by: Slowpokeking.8720

Slowpokeking.8720

I mean, all I wanted to do is just walk through and no, verteran mobs everywhere and many of the normal mobs have deadly skill.

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

Lol, the M in MMO people have arrived.

Funny, in every MMO I have played, except this one, I had a toggle for “auto reject group invitations”. Seems the Devs of those games had a clue.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

Posted by: Zodryn.4216

Zodryn.4216

Meanwhile here I am having solo’d everything I’ve come across with few issues. The only exceptions have been a couple of hero points with champs, but there happened to be a couple other people around when I did them, so that wasn’t a problem.

Posted by: Nostromo.4126

Nostromo.4126

So glad I read this before splashing out AU$70 (SEVENTY!) for a solo-unfriendly exp.

I actually also came to ask what the HoT exp has added to the base game for non-exp owners. Anyone know? Or did we get everything a couple months ago with the skill system butchering…?

As a side-note, I had to download a massive patch for HoT overnight a couple nights ago, and now I see another sizeable patch of around 1500 files preventing me from playing the base game. Whatever happened to the wonderful content streaming method they used in GW1…? sigh

(edited by Nostromo.4126)

Posted by: Aytheist.9476

Aytheist.9476

. . .

MMO simply means more than one person playing in the same world. I doesn’t mean or even imply that they must coordinate in order to advance.

Most MMO’s, including previous GW2 content, allow players to choose between solo and group activity. HoT forces all players into group content, and for obvious reasons, didn’t bother telling anyone before they spent their money.

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

If I may ask, what class are you playing and what kind of build/gear? The hero points are not soloable and some of the mobs are nasty, but outside of HP, you can get by most stuff solo.

The events are tuned for groups, for the most part, but that’s how high level events have always been.

I would be happy to see if I can point you in a better direction on build/tactics.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

Been playing alone for the past 2 days. No problems here.

You might have to press some other buttons than 1 though. Might be a problem for a lot of you?

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

Posted by: Nemesis.6938

Nemesis.6938

well i like open world group content, i think its the most fun multiplayer content to be honest.
I also think its great tough if you can do stuff by yourself if necessary…. Cause im just wondering – now with all these people everywhere, things work fine – what will happen once the zerg moved on and you have to do this stuff with few people? ouch

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

Those that are complaining about group content realize that you don’t actually have to group up to do the content…it only means that there should be a group to do the content. I almost never join formal groups, I just run around the map finding events and do them, if others are there, fine…if not, that’s fine too. You can solo most of the map, it will just take you longer than normal…and HP points are split 50/50 between events and channeling, so it’s an even amount between solo and group.

Posted by: Ataraxis.6098

Ataraxis.6098

I always find it amusing to come to threads like this where you have people like butch and DistantStatic saying idiotic or insulting things and they don’t realize they are perfectly embodying the reason so many people prefer to solo.

Posted by: tobascodagama.2961

tobascodagama.2961

Those that are complaining about group content realize that you don’t actually have to group up to do the content…it only means that there should be a group to do the content. I almost never join formal groups, I just run around the map finding events and do them, if others are there, fine…if not, that’s fine too. You can solo most of the map, it will just take you longer than normal…and HP points are split 50/50 between events and channeling, so it’s an even amount between solo and group.

I’ve been getting by without a formal group by roaming around the map looking for commander tags. It’s been working out so far.

Amberley Avalen – Charr Mesmer
Tanya Larina – Human Thief
Finchy Whyte – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: Soon.5240

Soon.5240

I always find it amusing to come to threads like this where you have people like butch and DistantStatic saying idiotic or insulting things and they don’t realize they are perfectly embodying the reason so many people prefer to solo.

It’s further amusing in that Anet specifically designed GW2 to be 99% solo-able….

The very existence and popularity of GW2 negates their arguments regarding what a MMO “is”.

(edited by Soon.5240)

Posted by: Cuchullain.3104

Cuchullain.3104

The fact is it is hard to get a group, and a lot of people already in a group have what they need and aren’t willing to invite or help others. I got lucky once and glided into a hero point on the first try just as a group was finishing up the champ there. Otherwise, i wouldn’t have stood a chance.

That is not how it usually works.. Usually, I spend 20 minutes trying to get to the hero point just to find out I don’t have the requisite mastery or I get two shot out of the sky by the two veterans guarding it or some frustrating variation thereof.

For something as essential as your hero points, the content should be soloable. It’s already a miserable, unfun grind just to get to the hero points without making it impossible with champ guards. Group content should be for optional stuff.

This “expansion” truly sucks.

Posted by: Dark Saviour.9410

Dark Saviour.9410

I would say, “Though its OK now, think about what will happen once the maps start to die!” except, they appear to have already died. :-/

Gone for good after Halloween 2Ø12.
A shame fun things could not simply be fun.

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

Let me quote the official GW2 FAQ from 2012: “Most content will be designed in a solo-friendly way, though often with mechanisms for scaling up in difficulty when more players are involved. This will give players the option to experience the game however they prefer.”

So, where’s my OPTION?

Posted by: Cosbuster.4379

Cosbuster.4379

So, where’s my OPTION?

Probably where the money from your wallet were.

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

The only hero point I was able to reach on foot spawned a champion dinosaur on a 5 minute timer. There’s absolutely no way a single person is going to be able to do that (I could probably kill it if I had to, but it would take at least twice that long). It’s like they looked at the worst skill points in the base game (those two near the exit of Malchor’s Leap that have champion enemies on top of them) and thought “yes, we need more of that, but even less fun”.

Think of people trying to get these points 6 months from now, or a year from now, when most of the players have moved on. Hero points have to be soloable, or new players and alts will be literally unable to unlock their elite specs.

Posted by: Zenos Osgorma.2936

Zenos Osgorma.2936

New content , lots of people dying even in small groups .

while here i am Soloing or +_1 a hylek champ at a hero challenge and do fine while Resing the downed maybe some people just need to get out of the Dps meta and into the survival meta, then you won’t have so many issues with Having to run all the way back , that extra 20mins running back could of been spent fighting the champ for a extra 5-10mins.

this hylek champ when into stealth every 25% hp and only if it had a Full Break bar , if the break bar was broken it took other 25% hp damage before it stealthed again doubling the upkeep you could do to damage it before it stealthed again, instead of it doing the RNG stealth while having its Break bar.

found fear/immobo and taunt are more effective than Direct cc’s as they last longer and the push ect direct cc’s only take off chunks quickly but don’t maintain break bar Degeneration.

basicly use 1 direct CC , 2 other cc’s i used a Wolf for fear+KD and PBS with muddy terrain , just to make sure any adds don’t get in the way.

(edited by Zenos Osgorma.2936)

Posted by: Silvercyclone.1462

Silvercyclone.1462

As someone who can solo I agree that the difficulty of the mobs are too much. I felt that the mobs during the last beta weekend was just right. For all you players who wine and cry that the game is too easy PvE was made for casuals so of course it’s easy. If you want hardcore stuff try the parts of the game that were made for you like dungeons and fractals.

Posted by: Sylent.3165

Sylent.3165

I agree. Open world pve should never require a group for a HP or to simply navigate around the map. Things do need toned down.

Raids and high level fractals were designed for these hardcore folk that can play much more then regular people.

Posted by: castlemanic.3198

castlemanic.3198

Hero points and masteries, key components of character progression, should not be behind any sort of gate. they should be soloable. Group events, leave them as be, there are solo events elsewhere, group HERO CHALLENGES, KEY to character progression? No. hero challenges should not be gated behind some useless ‘bring 5 people’ wall that just further bars progress. character development should be soloable, just as it has been for the rest of this game.

Posted by: Schurge.5194

Schurge.5194

The fact that I don’t need to talk to anyone or help anyone or be nice to anyone to get things done makes it soloable in my eyes.

Champion Phantom
We are not friends.

Posted by: Silvercyclone.1462

Silvercyclone.1462

I think if players want hardcore content they should try a dungeon or a fractal without ascended zerker gear.

Posted by: John.8507

John.8507

I don’t have the expansion but I know you don’t have to be in a formal group? Just need to wait for other players or ask on map chat? Are there really no other players around already to play alongside or ask for help? In the core game people often do hp even if they have already got them just to help out.

Posted by: Sylent.3165

Sylent.3165

I don’t have the expansion but I know you don’t have to be in a formal group? Just need to wait for other players or ask on map chat? Are there really no other players around already to play alongside or ask for help? In the core game people often do hp even if they have already got them just to help out.

The issue is every turn you make there is difficult enimies that can just take down players, HP some are just not soloable, the maps are very large so everyone is to far spread out

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

GW2 was nothing like GW1

And HoT is nothing like GW2

If it’s one thing anet is good at is ticking off its veteran players also they really work there white knights to the bone as I feel sorry for them defending everything with the highest resolution post after post after post. Also this level of difficulty will just bring rise to the old mount posts. WP are few and far in between in HoT and mobs can be really thick you can’t glide over them all and running through some of them is simple death even with swiftness. So a travel method for those who don’t want to kill everything in site when traverse a map for the 15th time should be put in place. As a mesmer I stealth so I have no problem but I’ve stealthed through enough corpses and people fighting to know something needs to change.

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Its a WAR against mordremoth.