This is what i feared for Guild Halls

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312, i think i’m being miss-read or something. Cuz what i suggested is not more complex then what already exist on the map. but anyhow. I think i explained my self well anoth to understand what i’m getting at.

You have no understanding of any sort of project scope or constraints. At all. Especially in regards to software. What you are asking for would take far too much in terms of cost, resources, and manpower, with a payoff that is nowhere near worth any of it.

Also the quote button is the arrow in the bottom right corner of every post. I’d recommend it, because it makes it a lot easier for people to see who you are addressing with your posts.

Oh no, i do understand. What you seem to lack to understand is my point. That this kind of scale of work needed is already bin implemented in other design such as thousands of pieces of equipment designed for Gw2. Sorry, after this, you cant convince me in a 100 years that this is impossible when you have game developers such as WoW & Arch Age who have done it. It can be done.

Okay. Please present me with your degree, or other proof of software development training. Also I’d like to see how you plan to fund such a project. If you have both, then awesome. Feel free to apply for a job at Anet.

If not, then it’s time to accept the fact that you don’t know what you are talking about.

Present yours i’ll show you mine…

I don’t need to present anything, because I am not making a ridiculous proposal. I don’t claim to be an expert, but I have studied enough in software development to know that what you are asking for is pretty much impossible.

Posted by: Omne.4603

Omne.4603

Threads like these are what I feared about Guild Halls.

I Cant Stop/ Ocularis
NSP | Os Guild Master
www.osguild.org | www.youtube.com/osthink

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

Donari.5237. I always believe in the kiss theory. (Keep It Stupid Simple)

That’s actually “Keep It Simple, Stupid”.

I don’t like the way they have implemented guild halls, either.

Not only are they pretty much impossible to get and/or hopelessly expensive, for anything other than larger guilds, but they also seem far too open and lacking in atmosphere.

I like the gilded hollow colours, but I have no desire to be there, as it is just an open space.

The Forgotten City (which shares the same gilded stone) is far more appealing.

They should be more like a cozy tavern, with a nice view from the windows; or have a cozy tavern incorporated into them, somewhere.

Maybe they should have had a building that everyone got automatically, with some opportunities to then add stuff to the upper floors and basement and the outside space?

Could have had a garden, part of which became your guild arena, if you wanted one.

The Guild Iniative Headquarters is actually better, from that POV – I prefer it.

Obviously, I think it’s inevitable that they had to be instanced, but that doesn’t mean they had to be in the middle of nowhere and feel less cozy than an open-sided barn.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

(edited by Tigaseye.2047)

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

Problem with the guild halls is that there is no reason to spend time there. There is nothing to do, no TP, no crafting posts. You just have to go somewhere else if you need any of the common services. Only vault is available at the scribe station, but I’m not sure if everyone even realizes this.

Posted by: BunjiKugashira.9754

BunjiKugashira.9754

1. There are not enough houses in the entire game (even if you take those outside major cities into the count) to fit all the guilds. During the first 6 days alone over 4000 Guild Halls have been claimed! Source: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/Day-Six-Guild-Hall-Statistics/first
  2. Because of the megaserver system Guild Halls would feel empty. While a guild with 100 members would see their guild hall busting with more activity than fits into that small house, everyone on another instance of the same map would find the Guild Hall to be dead empty.
  3. There would not be enough space to fit anything in there. Be it an arena, a portal to quickly reach guild missions or some decoration. Heck, most houses are too small to even fit a single Wyvern-Statue!
  4. It would be a lot of work. None of the houses that currently can’t be entered have a floor, rooms, stairs… If you look at it from the inside they don’t even have walls! The work required to create interiors for 4000 houses to accomodate those guilds that got their Halls during the first 6 days after release would be immense. That is mostly because all those houses are unique in size and window- / door-placement.

Tldr: Open world housing / Guild Halls is impossible in this game.

I agree however that we need smaller alternatives to the current Guild Halls.

Shana Flamewielder
Sylvari Elementalist of [SFF]
Abaddons Maul

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Wow, someone is either massively underestimating the number of guilds in the game or is completely failing to understand that persistent, open-world guild halls isn’t possible under ANet’s current map system.

Posted by: Pakkazull.6894

Pakkazull.6894

Wow, someone is either massively underestimating the number of guilds in the game or is completely failing to understand that persistent, open-world guild halls isn’t possible under ANet’s current map system.

I’d say both.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

After one million guild halls have been shoehorned into the city, the ANet devs collectively bust into tears as they see 100 more guild halls have been made and those also need their maps put in.

(Meanwhile, the next expansion sits dusty and unworked upon)

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

In what insane alternate universe do you exist in which you can simultaneously give every single guild the opportunity to have a hall whilst also making those halls all share the same open world?

Look, you either have limited real estate, and thus limited opportunity in an open world zone, or you have unlimited real estate and thus unlimited opportunity by instancing the halls.

Given that GW2 is a game built around the “positive reinforcement only” feel good idea that players in any GW2 game mode don’t ever risk losing anything of value to another player, why would you expect them to suddenly add a pretty hardcore real estate conflict element to the game?

They instance trees you chop for wood in this game. You think they’re going to make people compete for guild halls?

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: Texas Jack.6852

Texas Jack.6852

I really liked how Everquest 2 handled things. You basically had a building, but when you clicked the door, you got to pick the instance you go to. It’s exactly how the guild office works. Technically, this was player housing, but they were used for Guild Halls all the same.

There is also the LOTR method where you can go to a zone point and everyone has a set “Neighborhood” or zone to pick with neighbors and plots to choose from. There were large places for big guilds.

The way GW2 has implemented is really a combination of these if you think about it. It’s it’s own zone. you can see them from the map, they are just out of the way. You can port to and from there like any map. It appears on the map just like any other zone.

As far as making the guild hall active, what I would like to see is Guild Hall missions. Maybe even dailies. Add a Training Hall where you play mini games, like the Seraph training in Claypool, Queensdale. Add some daily mining nodes where we can pickup a mining pick and help increase the amount of ore the guild gets. Add some crafting specific guild hall additions where you have to bake a bunch of pies or do something to assist the NPCs. And finally, add an NPC Guild Recruiter. You do various odds and ends for this gal to bring in more NPCs so the place doesn’t seem so barren. You could pick the areas to put people so you can make sure they don’t bother your guildmates rooms, if they have chosen one. If you don’t want them, you don’t have to upgrade to the Recruiter.

Posted by: zeldara.4127

zeldara.4127

I agree that the guildhalls seem a bit empty, well quite a bit, as far as life goes.
Smaller instances would have helped instead of the size of half a land-map. Even if there are multiple people inside they still feel lost among the huge space and it still feels empty. It’s not cosy enough, then again maybe if the tavern is fully unlocked it is a nice gatheringspace. But no matter what, life can’t come by order of the developpers, it’s the players that need to make it lively. Give guildmembers a reason to get there. Anet can provide a place for a social gathering, but it can not make a social gathering, that will have to be done by people, who arrange to gather. Taking people out of the open world by placing all stuff people gather for now in cities, like banks, craftstations and such, by having it convenient in a guildhall I would not like. I rather have guildhalls feel empty then the open world.

Seperate instances in a city, if it were even possible, which i seriously doubt for above given reasons, won’t change this. If people don’t give eachother reasons to socially gather they won’t, regardless of where the gathering place is.

The only way i see city guildhalls be viable technically if if they could make it a few doors max that lead to a instance, which you can pick from a list of guilds. Do ther are multiple copies of the same guildinstance, pretty much like there are now. But then everyone could enter them. Which can be it’s own can of worms, as visitors are not always wanted, and the can be griefers. But basically a idea like in Lotro. But suprice suprice, those instances feel dead and empty too. It will remain up to the players tk give players a reason to be there.

Ok Texas Jack above me posted while i was typing. but yeah pretty much what he said.

(edited by zeldara.4127)

Posted by: Assassin X.8573

Assassin X.8573

I would be perfectly happy if GHs while being a location on the map, functioned like gw2 ghs, in that they were their own persistent instance that you could load into the game at like any other zone ( nOT like a dungeon instance). Move it to the mist just like gw1, plenty of room there. Close the eotm map lol if need be.

Darkhaven Gold Tiger Assassin X [JPGN][Sold][VII]
Videos on Youtube

Posted by: Swift.1930

Swift.1930

Honestly it would just make sense to have smaller guild halls as an option for smaller guilds or guilds who don’t need real-estate. If people aren’t going to frequent a guild, why would they need to have so much room? I was astonished when I first entered a guild hall – compared to my nice old GW1 hall, this thing is massive. It’s like a giant empty citadel – or like Smaug’s lair under the mountain (minus the gold).

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian

Posted by: Xupok Moonheart.9412

Xupok Moonheart.9412

It is an invasion.. or rather a positively negative restriction ArenaNet has forced on us based on their idea of what Guild actually means as with many other ‘ideas’ in the game.
One very exemplary example is Guild Catapults.. no more privately crafted in your guild, anyone with permission can build it and use it once you spent countless days grinding and leveling Scribe to be able to build them.
Just a big F.U as far as I am concerned.

Good luck with this ‘new’ hybrid game.

[Gamers Repulic of South Africa]