Thoughts of a graphic upgrade in the future?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Nvidius.3512

Nvidius.3512

I’ve always enjoyed the graphics of this game but with competitors + time on the horizon is there any chance of a graphic/engine upgrade with a future expansion?

Posted by: Oyranos.9750

Oyranos.9750

Graphics are fine but comparing with newest mmos, the only thing that would be great for implementation, is some cloth animations, to be more realistic and the basic walk/run speed of character to be increased… (it’s a bit slow till you get buffs and spells).

Posted by: Arkitan.6172

Arkitan.6172

I don’t really think the game needs a graphical refresh, just needs to dump DX9 in favor of a little less CPU impact.

Posted by: Eddie Mo.7169

Eddie Mo.7169

Did Hot not have some sort of graphical improvement? When I played beta for HOT, I noticed the graphics are a lot sharper, but I’m not sure if that’s just me.

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

I’d imagine higher resolution textures? Maybe more refined models/meshes.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Posted by: Gathslan.1870

Gathslan.1870

I do not think gw2 needs a graphical update really any time soon. The art style is so beautiful that it will keep the game pretty for many years to come.

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

Graphics are “ok” for an mmo. What they can and have to imo, improve is the performance of the game. Right now it’s limited to ancient single core technology mainly.

As for esthetics…better AA would be needed…the AA we have now is a resource eater for basicly nothing.

Posted by: CodeHavoc.7926

CodeHavoc.7926

I don’t think it’s going to be a huge jump like Unreal Engine 3 to 4 in terms of quality, but a slight tweak or 2 should prove efficient somewhat.

Necro Jesus is a thing apparently
The Zerker Bunker meta is the biggest bug in the game

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I’d rather have more content than a new graphics engine.

Posted by: Rain.7543

Rain.7543

No, I think the graphics are just fine. Honestly they are miles away from any other MMO out on the market, right now.
What the game needs, is indeed better performance as someone pointed out earlier.
Right now Anet needs to fix the problem with the huge lag on the servers lately. Since the game went free to play, there has been many connection drops and huge lag spikes. I guess the servers are not handling very good the huge influx of new players.

Also they have their hands full with the upcoming release of the expansion only in 1 month, so in short, there’s many more important things then the graphics at this moment. Even so, I don’t think the graphics can get any better without any noticable impact on the performance, as this is an MMO game, and not a single player one.

Posted by: CodeHavoc.7926

CodeHavoc.7926

Yeah, they should look at the techinal problems currently, especially with Hot around is very sure to be riddled with problems for the first week, not to mention huge lag spikes in WvW and PVE content.

Necro Jesus is a thing apparently
The Zerker Bunker meta is the biggest bug in the game

Posted by: Elric Of Melnibone.4781

Elric Of Melnibone.4781

Actually I think they need a way to limit the particle affects as it’s just plain sensory overload right now. Options to limit to just me or my parties, plus of course those that might affect me or my party. It’s pretty lame to only see the boss in outline form.

Posted by: Turbotef.9203

Turbotef.9203

No, I think the graphics are just fine. Honestly they are miles away from any other MMO out on the market, right now.
What the game needs, is indeed better performance as someone pointed out earlier.
Right now Anet needs to fix the problem with the huge lag on the servers lately. Since the game went free to play, there has been many connection drops and huge lag spikes. I guess the servers are not handling very good the huge influx of new players.

Also they have their hands full with the upcoming release of the expansion only in 1 month, so in short, there’s many more important things then the graphics at this moment. Even so, I don’t think the graphics can get any better without any noticable impact on the performance, as this is an MMO game, and not a single player one.

I wouldn’t call this game “miles ahead” of FFXIV, Blade and Soul, TERA, and Black Desert, and Wildstar in the looks department. Not a by a long shot, not even close even. Better optimization I agree with though as this game is a resource hog like no other for no reason.

Posted by: Doug Whisper.2465

Doug Whisper.2465

I remember from somewhere I read the devs started with very detailed models in their design. And then they reduce the level of details until they no longer able to retain the feel. Furthermore, they decided to target dx9 because they want there are more number of the machine can run the game. Therefore, they do have very detail and pretty assets in-house. But they decide not to use them in the game because they want more people can play their game.

If you watch WoodenPotate videos, his game look very pretty as he run a mod called Reshape which force the engine to push more power from the video cards.

Posted by: Rain.7543

Rain.7543

I wouldn’t call this game “miles ahead” of FFXIV, Blade and Soul, TERA, and Black Desert, and Wildstar in the looks department. Not a by a long shot, not even close even. Better optimization I agree with though as this game is a resource hog like no other for no reason.

Black Desert is not even out yet, so you should remove it from your list. While the graphics looks pretty sweet, I have to agree, from the many reviews I’ve seen so far, graphics is pretty much all that this game have. Its a pretty hollow shell, gameplay wise.
Wildstar, TERA, really? I have tried both of this games, before I got into GW2, since Im fairly new player, myself. In my opinion the graphics of this games are terrible. I played all of them on everything max on 1080p resolution and gw2 graphics takes the cake for me. I guess everything boils down to taste.
Can’t comment on Blade and Soul and FFXIV. Never even looked this games in youtube, less much played them.

(edited by Rain.7543)

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

They’ve been doing slight graphics upgrades. That is why a couple months ago they patched so that we have the options for SMAA and choice of ambient occlusion or light adaptation.

However, there are 3rd party options to improve your own personal visuals of the game. Here’s a step-by-step for it too: https://youtu.be/a5i5-2X4wMA

Posted by: PlatinumMember.5274

PlatinumMember.5274

You should actually play blade and soul before commenting on it.

Tera has terrible art direction, which render its graphics pointless. If you want to see beautiful gw2 is, use sweetfx.

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

They will kill it and make GW3 before they scrap the engine.

It happened to WoW, it will happen to all of them.

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

Black Desert is not released in the US yet. Where else matters?

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

I don’t really think the game needs a graphical refresh, just needs to dump DX9 in favor of a little less CPU impact.

DX12 could possibly mean a major performance upgrade for this game, especially in places with lots of players on screen at the same time (like wvwvw).

Interesting read from Oxide about their upcoming dx12 title “Ashes of the Singularity”, when it comes to performance gains from this new api:

http://www.oxidegames.com/2015/08/16/the-birth-of-a-new-api/

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

Posted by: vanderwolf.7084

vanderwolf.7084

1920 resolution or higher.

high settings.

Insert SweetFX/GemFX/Reshade/MasterEffect = there’s your graphics upgrade.