To many veterans

To many veterans

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Sylent.3165

Sylent.3165

Did anyone else notice this? I have no issues running into a veteran here and there but I swear in it felt like there was as many veterans running around as regular enemies. They should be a bit more spreadout in my opinion.

To many veterans

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

Did anyone else notice this? I have no issues running into a veteran here and there but I swear in it felt like there was as many veterans running around as regular enemies. They should be a bit more spreadout in my opinion.

nah, adds some challenge.

To many veterans

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

oh i thought this was a thread about to many old veteran players

To many veterans

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

lol I had the same thought going into this thread.

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

To many veterans

Posted by: Chairman Wang.5930

Chairman Wang.5930

I like vets, trash mobs can’t be everything and elite mobs are just gigantic hp sponges.

To many veterans

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I like vets, trash mobs can’t be everything and elite mobs are just gigantic hp sponges.

Technicallly, there are no trashmobs in this game, even though people still use the word.

You can get a percursor from a deer. lol

To many veterans

Posted by: Chairman Wang.5930

Chairman Wang.5930

Technicallly, there are no trashmobs in this game, even though people still use the word.

You can get a percursor from a deer. lol

Well I meant in terms of difficulty. :P

To many veterans

Posted by: Kitty La Boom Boom.4065

Kitty La Boom Boom.4065

Actually, I thought it was a thread addressed to our many veteran players, not too many veteran mobs, lol.

To many veterans

Posted by: Thanatos.2691

Thanatos.2691

I really like the idea of HoT being filled with more veteran enemies than normal enemies. HoT is essentially going to be the new endgame, filled with new challenges and increased difficulty over the core game. Since most of HoT seems to be the possible answer to the veteran players who desire harder content, I wouldn’t decrease the difficulty of what we’ve seen so far. At all.

I actually hope HoT becomes more and more difficult as we venture deeper into the jungle, and perhaps we’ll even run into areas full of elite enemies instead of veterans. You can always go to the core game if you want easy enemies, but please don’t encourage ANet to decrease the difficulty in this amazing game. There will still be plenty of easy content when HoT comes out.

Golden shackles are still golden.

To many veterans

Posted by: Bandit.8279

Bandit.8279

Thanatos is spot on^^ We need more difficulty in this game not less. With a couple of small exceptions I felt BWE2 mob difficulty was pretty spot on. Get your Malaria pills ready because we are going to the big bad jungle baby!

Fools N Gold [FNG] of Tarnished Coast

To many veterans

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

If you can’t handle them then step up your game and find a build and tactic to fight them. That’s what makes most content in this game easy, we find a way to beat it easy. Let’s not complain about the difficulty before the game is released, give it a chance so we don’t just rush trough the game with Zerker gear and complain that there is nothing left to do in the game and it had only one hour content.

I don’t mind hard content as far as it is permanent, it was different when they made the temporary Aetherblade hidout wich was realy nice and good difficulty but a week was not enough for me and my friends to master the dungeon sadly.
Why did I bring that up? Well all I wanted to say, this content is here to stay, it won’t go away so take your time and master it instead of wasting time on forums and try to make it too easy.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

To many veterans

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

I do think that VB has too many Veterans placed in the travel routes. To my mind, an open world zone, outside of events, should be made up of paths and cul de sacs. The paths should be mostly “trash mobs,” enemies that are there for flavor, and to be killed, but not to present a serious challenge. You should be able to roam all over the map and never bump into an enemy that is Vet+.

The Vets should be in cul de sacs, dead end areas off to the sides of the through-routes, areas that are intended to provide a challenge for those seeking it. These can be the tricky encounters that can push your actual combat skills and take a while, and can get in the way of finding a Mastery, or a good harvesting node, or a mini-chest or whatever.

The reason this should be the case is that if you want to travel, you want to travel, and having serious threats in your path is more of a nuisance than anything else. And no, these new zones should not be “endgame content” in the sense that ever step is meant to be a challenge, these are the new roaming maps, and should not be of significantly more challenge than any of the other content, outside of the way events function, and some of these specific cul de sac challenge areas.

A good example of this done right is the Coaxtl village in the most recent beta, one where it’s impossible to get to without using a mushroom or gliding into it from above, and every enemy in there is a Vet. I’m not sure why you’d want to go there, maybe they’ll put something in there at some point, but there’s really no point to it unless you do want to fight a bunch of tough guys, and you don’t need to go through there to get anywhere.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

To many veterans

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

I tried doing the event to save nebo terrace:
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Prevent_the_centaurs_from_capturing_Nebo_Terrace

Its HARD. ~5 of us just failed so hard cause of all the high hp punching bags running us down with hard cc spam. Its ridiculous. Thankfully, apparently, according to wiki page the event will award a daily chest. I see a reddit link for helpful tips too.

To many veterans

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

I do think that VB has too many Veterans placed in the travel routes. To my mind, an open world zone, outside of events, should be made up of paths and cul de sacs. The paths should be mostly “trash mobs,” enemies that are there for flavor, and to be killed, but not to present a serious challenge. You should be able to roam all over the map and never bump into an enemy that is Vet+.

The Vets should be in cul de sacs, dead end areas off to the sides of the through-routes, areas that are intended to provide a challenge for those seeking it. These can be the tricky encounters that can push your actual combat skills and take a while, and can get in the way of finding a Mastery, or a good harvesting node, or a mini-chest or whatever.

The reason this should be the case is that if you want to travel, you want to travel, and having serious threats in your path is more of a nuisance than anything else. And no, these new zones should not be “endgame content” in the sense that ever step is meant to be a challenge, these are the new roaming maps, and should not be of significantly more challenge than any of the other content, outside of the way events function, and some of these specific cul de sac challenge areas.

A good example of this done right is the Coaxtl village in the most recent beta, one where it’s impossible to get to without using a mushroom or gliding into it from above, and every enemy in there is a Vet. I’m not sure why you’d want to go there, maybe they’ll put something in there at some point, but there’s really no point to it unless you do want to fight a bunch of tough guys, and you don’t need to go through there to get anywhere.

Agree with you about how it should work but… At the moment in the betas there have seemed to be more than one route to the next map. I treversed through the whole map with all classes I tried and even with my Zerker Thief.

I ran in to a few Veterans during my times but most of them was just one veteran per enemy patrol. When there where more veterans it was events around and or as you said some special locations like the village filled with Veteran Hyleks or on the first beta map there was a village filled with veteran Spiders.

I like it better like this, in SW for example there are few veterans but some enemies are strong like veterans or worse but they don’t have any Veteran tag.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

(edited by EdgarMTanaka.7291)

To many veterans

Posted by: Silicato.4603

Silicato.4603

ahaha, me too.

To many veterans

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Vets drop better loot … bring them on.

To many veterans

Posted by: TheFantasticGman.9451

TheFantasticGman.9451

I really like the idea of HoT being filled with more veteran enemies than normal enemies. HoT is essentially going to be the new endgame, filled with new challenges and increased difficulty over the core game. Since most of HoT seems to be the possible answer to the veteran players who desire harder content, I wouldn’t decrease the difficulty of what we’ve seen so far. At all.

I actually hope HoT becomes more and more difficult as we venture deeper into the jungle, and perhaps we’ll even run into areas full of elite enemies instead of veterans. You can always go to the core game if you want easy enemies, but please don’t encourage ANet to decrease the difficulty in this amazing game. There will still be plenty of easy content when HoT comes out.

Following that line of logic then the deeper areas of the jungles should eventually just be filled with Champions or Legendaries… I mean, if your standard for “harder” is simply more HP and hits harder, then yeah, we should hit an area with just Champs or Legends and that’s “harder”. I must disagree that because there are more HP sponges and things hit harder constitutes “harder content”. More drawn out (longer to kill), but not harder.

Speaking from a PVE-only point of view…

To many veterans

Posted by: Killyox.3950

Killyox.3950

I actually liked it a lot. Am all for harder content everywhere.

To many veterans

Posted by: Sylent.3165

Sylent.3165

I actually liked it a lot. Am all for harder content everywhere.

Well that’s my problem. Vets aren’t hard at all. They just take a lot longer to kill and make it take longer to reach the destination you are trying to get to.

To many veterans

Posted by: BunjiKugashira.9754

BunjiKugashira.9754

Vets make it possible to hit them at all once there are 3 or more players.

Shana Flamewielder
Sylvari Elementalist of [SFF]
Abaddons Maul

To many veterans

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

My only issue is that vets and elites do not give any better reward than trash mobs, if they drops scaled appropriately then I would be fine with them.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

To many veterans

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

Hahaha Same first tought when reading title.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

(edited by Phoebe Ascension.8437)

To many veterans

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

Hahaha Same first thoguht when reading title.

An extra “o” would make a lot of change in the title.
“Too many veterans”

I can’t wait to come home and test those invasions, sounds pretty fun.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

To many veterans

Posted by: Thanatos.2691

Thanatos.2691

Following that line of logic then the deeper areas of the jungles should eventually just be filled with Champions or Legendaries… I mean, if your standard for “harder” is simply more HP and hits harder, then yeah, we should hit an area with just Champs or Legends and that’s “harder”. I must disagree that because there are more HP sponges and things hit harder constitutes “harder content”. More drawn out (longer to kill), but not harder.

Not gonna lie, I’d actually love to fight groups of champions or even several legendaries at the same time in the deeper areas of the jungle. I don’t think we’ll see this happen though, because it would become just another source of champion bags.

Instead, I could see more difficult areas filled with elites and veterans with difficulty further increased through higher enemy levels. Areas like FotM already increase enemy levels above 80, and GW1 went as far as to introduce enemies above level 30 when the player level cap was 20. It’s possible that harder enemies will have features such as increased precision which would encourage more use of conditions like weakness to counter their increased potential for critical hits along with other features that encourage a diverse playstyles, so higher level/tier enemies do not necessarily mean more health and power. I believe in ANet. They can do better than that.

Golden shackles are still golden.

To many veterans

Posted by: Scratcherclaw.2713

Scratcherclaw.2713

I have to agree with what other people are saying. More veterans is better. It means better loot and more of a challenge. It’s a level 80 area, so we can’t expect it to be ridiculously easy, especially after people have been asking for new, tougher content.

So yeah, I’m fine with the veterans. Except that veteran ram that spawns all the time at the Faren’s Flyer rally point. That one can go to hell.

To many veterans

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

Instead, I could see more difficult areas filled with elites and veterans with difficulty further increased through higher enemy levels. Areas like FotM already increase enemy levels above 80,

Yes, but that content is scaled for teams of five. Most open world should be scaled to be solo. Only the optional, out of the way “micro dungeon” areas should naturally scale to multiple players, and then of course events should scale for the number of players present. All other content should naturally scale to be soloed.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

To many veterans

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

That definitely sounds like a fun thing to travel through multiple times said no one ever.

I’m amazed how many people confuse “challenge” with “tedious slog”.

To many veterans

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

I didn’t feel there were too many at all. They are rather easy to overcome anyways and hardly take much longer to kill. If anything, when you are engaged with multiple foes, it makes it smarter to take out the squishier ones first, then focusing on the Veteran(s), unless it makes more sense to focus the Veteran due to it being more of a threat in the skills it does (e.g., if it were a Tormentor). You know, strategic combat over the current mindless whack, whack, whack mentality that people even still bring with them into the BW zone. Smokescales are a perfect example.. it states right on their info that they evade while in their mist, but some people still try to whack, whack, whack at them in the middle of the mist—when all they had to do is take a few steps in any direction to pull them away from it, and kill them in an instant. Smrt. So smrt.

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

To many veterans

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

That definitely sounds like a fun thing to travel through multiple times said no one ever.

I’m amazed how many people confuse “challenge” with “tedious slog”.

Yeah too many higher ranking foes are merely punching bags, not actually smarter encounters.

To many veterans

Posted by: Sully.9453

Sully.9453

I tried doing the event to save nebo terrace:
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Prevent_the_centaurs_from_capturing_Nebo_Terrace

Its HARD. ~5 of us just failed so hard cause of all the high hp punching bags running us down with hard cc spam. Its ridiculous. Thankfully, apparently, according to wiki page the event will award a daily chest. I see a reddit link for helpful tips too.

If you actually did some research Nebo Terrace defense event has been broken for some time.

In regards to the actual topic, I found that the difficulty of the mobs in the beta was fine. Challenging enough to not be boring, not too hard that people would toss the new zones in the ‘too hard basket’

Keltina – Necromancer | Hoctar – Revenant
[DAWN] First Light Gaming – Blackgate

To many veterans

Posted by: Jimson.5168

Jimson.5168

A single Champion Teragriff wiped lane 1 today during VineWrath. After I picked my jaw up out of the sand, I WP’d back to Camp Resolve and ran back to help rez everyone, light the signal fire, and punch that terry’s lights out. This was one of the most satisfying VWs I’ve done in recent weeks. (we won even with a lane 2 fail)

Also went to Diessa to farm iron and softwood but the invasion was going on and it seemed every Gummo sapling was right under a Vinecrawler. Had to fight hoards of vet Mordrem… this was annoying but still more fun than whomping a critter out of my way so I could chop, chop, chop. And I got 20 blooms for just being there.

Yeah, bring on a few more vets and champs for spice… I was getting bored.

(edited by Jimson.5168)