To those who are complaining about price

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Catseye.3164

Catseye.3164

The price isn’t bad for the entertainment value. You should log in game. Type /age. Take what you paid for the game and divide it by that number. I paid $59.99 for the game and have gotten over 2000 hours of play. $.03 an hour. Seems cheap to me.

Posted by: mcwurth.2081

mcwurth.2081

but some people have a certain budget. and this budget must be divided for the worth. 445swedish kronor (45 euro) for expansion plus base game with NO extra characterslot for someone who owns the full game already is IMO a bad move. I probably will still buy it just not now.

I agree though, I SURE got my money’s worth out of it. just gonna have to buy a hardcopy I always do that with GW games

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

But we’re not being charged for the difference between what we’ve paid per hour so far and the average price of entertainment for that time.

We’re being charged for access to the new content, which apparently many people feel is not going to be worth $50.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: mcwurth.2081

mcwurth.2081

But we’re not being charged for the difference between what we’ve paid per hour so far and the average price of entertainment for that time.

We’re being charged for access to the new content, which apparently many people feel is not going to be worth $50.

NO! you are paying for access AND the time you are going to play. and likely if you buy it already you are going to play it, a lot.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Veteran players get something that new players do not:

Two choices of how to play HoT. A veteran can choose to get exactly the samething a new player does. A new account with all the character slots, etc. A veteran also has the choice to link HoT to an existing account in order to access the new content and game options on existing characters.

There is nothing that a new player buying HoT gets that a veteran cannot as well.

Catseye.3164

I remember people making these same type of posts before the game launched.

It’s too expensive.. How can you know the game is good if you prepurchase? If it’s worth the value?

Only you can decide that. But you have to buy most games before you know the true value. How much you’ll enjoy it. This game / expansion is no different. I do understand about budgets. As a parent, I’m on one too. But they gave a lot of warning expansion was coming. I stopped buying snacks put money up to save. I just don’t get the sticker shock people are reacting with in here.

As for the free core game, most games after being out for so long go to bargain bin. This is the same. You guys are looking at it as punishment but look at everything you’ve gotten by playing up to this point.

Posted by: piza.9310

piza.9310

This would apply if I would spend as much time with the expansion. But ATM, I might get 100 – 200 hours out of this? That’s 2 – 0.25$ per hour. With the summer sale going on… let’s see. Payed 15$ for Deus exe human revolution during last summer sale. 150 hours later… let’s calculate… 0.10$…. Well then, deus exe is below the maximum amount of play I get out of my money. We’re talking about an MMO right?

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

This would apply if I would spend as much time with the expansion. But ATM, I might get 100 – 200 hours out of this? That’s 2 – 0.25$ per hour. With the summer sale going on… let’s see. Payed 15$ for Deus exe human revolution during last summer sale. 150 hours later… let’s calculate… 0.10$…. Well then, deus exe is below the maximum amount of play I get out of my money. We’re talking about an MMO right?

we dont even know what’s in the expansion yet how exactly can you tell how much play time you can get out of it?

as for your Deus ex, you payed $15, 4 years after release. orginally Deus Ex was sold for more then $49.99 and for the same amount of hours of game time.

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

we dont even know what’s in the expansion yet how exactly can you tell how much play time you can get out of it?

And they still want us to shell out $$$$ based on no information.

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

Posted by: Randall.7306

Randall.7306

The issue here isn’t about the price really. The issue here is that the way that Anet is presenting this expansion is greatly catered towards new players that will buy the game after the HoT pre-purchase announcement.

For the price of 50$, they will get the expansion plus a FREE bonus which is the core game. The existing players however will get no bonus whatsoever but will also be paying the same price of 50$.

This is really unfair towards the existing players especially those that have been supporting them for years. They should really treat their playerbase equally.

For me that’s the point, also.

This price setup shows us that existing players are something ANet doesn’t care.

It would have been easy to think in something in the lines of “if you add the key to an existing GW2 account, you receive x extra character slots instead of a new copy of core”

so in this way, both new users and existing users get something besides the expansion, in the currect way, only new users have a (huge) bonus, also, new users will have -for the same tag price that 1st wave users- new zones in which existing users that doesn’t buy expansion aren’t allowed to go. It feels like a “hey sucker! I entered the game years later than you, so now you’ve to pay extra to get as many stuff as me!”

Posted by: Sarevok.2638

Sarevok.2638

The problem is new players are getting the same features that core players would get by purchasing the expansion, and core players get LESS out of that same package as they already have the core game.

Solution: Give the standard and deluxe versions of the game a free character slot for those who already have the core game.

Posted by: ryandeniszorro.6735

ryandeniszorro.6735

No one stopping you to sell your home, kids and wife , and send money to anet. That doesnt change fact this is lame pricing.

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

The price isn’t bad for the entertainment value. You should log in game. Type /age. Take what you paid for the game and divide it by that number. I paid $59.99 for the game and have gotten over 2000 hours of play. $.03 an hour. Seems cheap to me.

Indeed..that “/age” was provided by the amount of content already offered when it first launched and cost 50$…and i am comparing it to the product they have now and price at the same value..and i don’t see me doubling that “/age” with what they showed so far.

If you can make a valid list of what GW2 offered for 50$ on day 1 and what HoT offers for 50$ on day 1 (excluding the base game from HoT). Who knows maybe you might be the one that convinces me to buy the game.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/Question-about-value-price/first#post5158535

Posted by: Dott.5672

Dott.5672

What the expansion entails that people who don’t buy it won’t get:
-New area
-New class
-Mordremoth boss fight

I’m not paying 45 euros for that. kitten that.

“Guild Wars 2 fans are big role-players, and
we love to give them the tools they need
to have big, important events!” Stop lying, ANet.

Posted by: Uproller.1849

Uproller.1849

-New area
-New class
-Mordremoth boss fight

What if the new area is the best farming spot you can ever get? Surely that will get everyone excited

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

-New area
-New class
-Mordremoth boss fight

Woaw now. I don’t recall them saying we would for sure fight the big guy. That sounds more like a LS Season 5 thing to me.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

New areas but how many? and how big?
How many dungeons?
How many events?
How many new armors/weapons skins and types that are not gem-store exclusives?
New classes (just 1)
Zhaitan boss fight…..so both have a boss fight, a tie.

Everything compared to what the core game offered us for the same price tag.

Posted by: Dott.5672

Dott.5672

-New area
-New class
-Mordremoth boss fight

Woaw now. I don’t recall them saying we would for sure fight the big guy. That sounds more like a LS Season 5 thing to me.

All right, so a new class and a new area. I don’t see how that helps.

“Guild Wars 2 fans are big role-players, and
we love to give them the tools they need
to have big, important events!” Stop lying, ANet.

Catseye.3164

I can’t make a list of what HoT offers. No one can yet. They haven’t released all the details yet. They haven’t even released info on half the new specializations. People seem confused on maps. They said the maps would have 3 layers. They never said we only get 1 map with those 3 layers. Again. We don’t know.

I’m not saying everyone should go out and buy expansion if you don’t think it’s for you. But I do think people are overreacting about the price point.

I do realize the value per hour is for gw2 not future time spent. But you should be able to figure out bases on current age how mch you still like the game and that’ll give you a clue as to how much you’ll like future stuff. Did you like living story? More of that to come. Do you want to try specializations? Need expansion. If you’re happy in your current char, only wvw… Expansion might not be a good value to you. But then… No matter what they did you wouldn’t want it.

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Except HoT isn’t going to give us the same value that GW2 core did.

I’m not knocking HoT before it’s out, I’m just saying that there’s a difference in the hurdles that a game (or expansion in this case) has to overcome when trying to hook a player in for 2k hours: a new player is going to be too distracted by all the new shinies and struggling with learning the game to really notice the flaws, but vet players are going to get jaded faster, burn through content earlier, and be back to griping about the lack of updates and bugs in a matter of weeks (if not days).

And keep in mind for $60 you got a lot more content than HoT (judging from what we’ve seen so far) will give with $50.

Posted by: Acinonyx Rex.8609

Acinonyx Rex.8609

I had many friends waiting for extentsion to come back to the game, when I told them the price, they laughed and told me, sorry buddy, we won’t come back at this price, goold luck with this game.
I won’t but HoT at this price, my friends won’t come back, time to stop this game for good.

Posted by: darkdomino.9578

darkdomino.9578

My friends laughed too. Nobody is coming back to GW2 for that price.

Fury of the Departed [Fury] – http://www.furyofthedeparted.net

Galen Grey.4709

And they still want us to shell out $$$$ based on no information.

Its a pre-order, no one is going to be penalized if they wait for more information. Its just some of us know we’re going to get it anyway. Anet is a busness and as such never says no to money thus a transaction is born.. we give them money early they give us the content when its done, some goodies if you want to pay more and beta access as a thankyou for paying early.

Galen Grey.4709

The issue here isn’t about the price really. The issue here is that the way that Anet is presenting this expansion is greatly catered towards new players that will buy the game after the HoT pre-purchase announcement.

For the price of 50$, they will get the expansion plus a FREE bonus which is the core game. The existing players however will get no bonus whatsoever but will also be paying the same price of 50$.

This is really unfair towards the existing players especially those that have been supporting them for years. They should really treat their playerbase equally.

For me that’s the point, also.

This price setup shows us that existing players are something ANet doesn’t care.

It would have been easy to think in something in the lines of “if you add the key to an existing GW2 account, you receive x extra character slots instead of a new copy of core”

so in this way, both new users and existing users get something besides the expansion, in the currect way, only new users have a (huge) bonus, also, new users will have -for the same tag price that 1st wave users- new zones in which existing users that doesn’t buy expansion aren’t allowed to go. It feels like a “hey sucker! I entered the game years later than you, so now you’ve to pay extra to get as many stuff as me!”

Do you feel like Anet dont care about us veteran players when ever they do a 75% discount? cause if you stop to think about it this is really no different then Anet doing a 100% discount.

Galen Grey.4709

People seem confused on maps. They said the maps would have 3 layers. They never said we only get 1 map with those 3 layers. Again. We don’t know.

actually its even worst then that, they said "made up of three distinct "biomes""
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_2:_Heart_of_Thorns

people are translating that to mean 3 maps when in the core game a biome consists of 5 maps. of course there is nothing that says a biome means 5 maps, could be more could be less. We just dont know.

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

Don’t forget precursor crafting. That’s a feature of the expansion, too.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: Uproller.1849

Uproller.1849

which should be in the vanilla game 3 years ago, but now they are selling it to us for 50 bucks

Guhracie.3419

which should be in the vanilla game 3 years ago, but now they are selling it to us for 50 bucks

Trust me. I’m not defending that decision, nor the price.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

My friends laughed too. Nobody is coming back to GW2 for that price.

You don’t have to pay a dime to come back to GW2. If you’ve already purchased the game, you have access to it until they close down the servers.

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

Yeah, I understand that the price can be a tad steep. Still, I know I’d save up for it since there is no set release date yet.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Yeah, I understand that the price can be a tad steep. Still, I know I’d save up for it since there is no set release date yet.

Heh, and people were complaining and crying about not knowing the price or not knowing the release date. People don’t seem to understand PR at all…

What do you think would happen if Anet instead announced the release date for HoT expansion instead of the price? Yup, they’d cry about it not being soon enough just like they’re crying about the price not being cheap enough or the amount of free features not being generous enough.

Trust me, it’ll all blow over in about a month. No one will care about the price since likely the release date won’t be until the end of this year or early next year. Just save about $8 every month and you’ll have $50 come release day.

Guhracie.3419

Yeah, it’ll blow over. Like the commander tag pricing thing blew over.

-Mike O’Brien