Tome of Knowledge - Confirmation on Use

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Esreyr.6304

Esreyr.6304

When HoT comes out I"m going to be annoyed when I use 50-60 of these things. Each time you click on it you are asked if “Are you sure you want to consume Tome of Knowledge? Accept / Cancel”.

I’m pretty sure…And so are the million other players doing the same thing.

In fact can you please give us a right-click action that will allow us to “Consume All”? The community has begged for this for a long time.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Move the inventory window so that the tomes are right where you choose to accept. They have these in place to prevent people from making mistakes. Remove those preventative measures and you’ll now see threads of people claiming they accidentally used more than they wanted.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: Brother Dulfite.5793

Brother Dulfite.5793

It’s going to take you like 5 minutes Mac to do that clicking. Let them focus on something more important.

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

I’m pretty sure…And so are the million other players doing the same thing.

When making an argument and stating these kind of things, you are only holding your own argument down. Who gives you the authority to speak for others and why can’t they speak for themselfes?. It might seem your argument is stronger, but in reality it just makes it lesser.

I for one dissagree with you.
Besides consuming the tome, you also need to accept (and in some cases select) the level up rewards. The tome is a lot better then the situation where you have to level up by doing content.
I got 50 tomes (and a level 30 scroll) ready. I am planning on using many of them on my revenant. But not all. the class is new to me and I prefer to do atleast the personal stories and get the major waypoints around the world. So I will use the level 30 scroll, do the first 3 chapters of personal story, use tomes to reach level 40, do another chapter and start doing half of the major waypoints. And repeat for every 10 levels.

I would hate overusing tomes by accident and don’t think I should just for people who are going to be instant lvl 80 with no clue what to do. It is totally up to you, but it is not a must thing to do, and you shouldnt need to be cathered on that kind of level. This is beyond normal QoL and in the domain of lazyness.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Posted by: Sylent.3165

Sylent.3165

Move the inventory window so that the tomes are right where you choose to accept. They have these in place to prevent people from making mistakes. Remove those preventative measures and you’ll now see threads of people claiming they accidentally used more than they wanted.

This. How I always use mine. Don’t have to move mouse at all

Posted by: Tiny Doom.4380

Tiny Doom.4380

When making an argument and stating these kind of things, you are only holding your own argument down. Who gives you the authority to speak for others and why can’t they speak for themselfes? (snip)

The tome is a lot better then the situation where you have to level up by doing content.

This is the very thing you are complaining of the OP doing. In my opinion the tome is not better. Leveling up is better. That’s why I have all the tomes I have ever received, hundreds of them, and all the xp scrolls and xp boosters too, stored in my vault.

The day may come when I have had enough of leveling but it hasn’t happened after 17 characters, 14 of them at 80. I’ll be leveling my Revenant in the traditional way.

Posted by: Random.4691

Random.4691

Its a minor inconvenience. Nothing more.

Posted by: giovr.6538

giovr.6538

I will use the level 30 scroll, do the first 3 chapters of personal story, use tomes to reach level 40, do another chapter and start doing half of the major waypoints. And repeat for every 10 levels.

I would hate overusing tomes by accident and don’t think I should just for people who are going to be instant lvl 80 with no clue what to do. It is totally up to you, but it is not a must thing to do, and you shouldnt need to be cathered on that kind of level. This is beyond normal QoL and in the domain of lazyness.

I agree with you, I’m playing since the BWE in 2012 and it’s always better to level up little by little if you want to learn how to play with a certain profession. Not only that: how can you understand which build is better (stats, runes, sigils, skills, specs) if you haven’t played from 2 to 80?

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I will use the level 30 scroll, do the first 3 chapters of personal story, use tomes to reach level 40, do another chapter and start doing half of the major waypoints. And repeat for every 10 levels.

I agree with you, I’m playing since the BWE in 2012 and it’s always better to level up little by little if you want to learn how to play with a certain profession. Not only that: how can you understand which build is better (stats, runes, sigils, skills, specs) if you haven’t played from 2 to 80?

Too be honest, you can learn a class within a single hour of actively trying at the same effectiveness as you would have leveling it to level 80. Actually, you may do better with that one hour as you have access to everything the class offers and can judge what works well and what doesn’t for you.

While I do recommend leveling from 2-80 if it’s your first character ever, I personally don’t see any benefit it will have on learning the class that an hour dedicated to do so wouldn’t also accomplish.

giovr.6538

I see your point, but in my experience I’m having a lot of trouble playing with the war that lvled up from lvl 25 to lvl 80 with tomes from login rewards and I have (obviously) all skills and specs unlocked.

Random.4691

I see your point, but in my experience I’m having a lot of trouble playing with the war that lvled up from lvl 25 to lvl 80 with tomes from login rewards and I have (obviously) all skills and specs unlocked.

Go out and clear a zone or two, or go to the mist lobby and test on golems. It doesn’t take long to get the hang of a class, especially warrior.

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

This. Also after positioning the window, hit Alt+Shift+Numlock to turn on the keyboard mouse. Then just tap Numpad / then spam Numpad + for easy one press double clicking and you’re good to go!

giovr.6538

Go out and clear a zone or two, or go to the mist lobby and test on golems. It doesn’t take long to get the hang of a class, especially warrior.

What about behaviour in dungeons or fractals? You need more training than 3 hours clearing some zones…

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

I am assuming you will want to stop clicking now and then anyways so you do not have 80 bouncing diamonds?

Random.4691

What about behaviour in dungeons or fractals? You need more training than 3 hours clearing some zones…

You would have to learn the dungeon and fractal mechanics anyways so I fail to see how that statement is relevant to learning the general class.

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

You would have to learn the dungeon and fractal mechanics anyways so I fail to see how that statement is relevant to learning the general class.

What works for you, doesn’t work for someone else. For me, it is far not enough for several reasons.
1: I make my own builds. Off course I look at premade builds for isnpiration, but I want to make my own and test things out to perfection.
2: I don’t want to take anything people say to be automatically right. So I’ll learn by falling and standing up, and not just cause someone tells me how to do it.
3: I like to be helpfull to people. That is why I want a “normal” experience with all classes and have gone through levelling them up. I do use tomes to skip ahead. but never to the fullest.

I personally like my method a lot and I think it gives me better understanding bout classes then people who take another method. That doesn’t mean my method is better (nor the opposite). But it is the way I prefer to play it and approach it.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

giovr.6538

Thank you mercury, just what I was going to write ^^

giovr.6538

I am assuming you will want to stop clicking now and then anyways so you do not have 80 bouncing diamonds?

Not all 80 are visible, only the first 3. When you use one of them the stack goes left of 1 diamond.

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

An approach I’m taking to toming right now is leveling until my stack of tomes will get me to max level. So right now I have 5 tomes left, so I’ll need to level my current leveling alt to level 75 and then if I get more tomes, say 5 more, I’ll only need to level my alt to 70. And so on.

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

wow…. some people are really impatient.

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: Esreyr.6304

Esreyr.6304

To those that gave ideas on how I can have this process less painful – Thank you.

To those that argue I’m lazy or impatient; Maybe I am. But when a task takes 5 extra seconds doesn’t make it a better means on accomplishing said task. 5s * 50 tomes * maybe 100,000 accounts ~= 289 days of wasted time. So while I’m only a small portion of the time, I am only thinking of the community.

Posted by: Prophet.6257

Prophet.6257

My broken Razer Naga disagrees.

But that may be from the thousands of other single action clicks I’ve had to do in game as well. A “consume all” button would be a huge quality of life improvement.

Random.4691

But that may be from the thousands of other single action clicks I’ve had to do in game as well. A “consume all” button would be a huge quality of life improvement.

Or it could be that you bought a razer naga, they are notorious for being cheaply made.

Posted by: Orochimaru.4730

Orochimaru.4730

When HoT comes out I"m going to be annoyed when I use 50-60 of these things.

Then just spend a week leveling to level 80 in PvE/EOTM/sPVP instead!

No? Then be happy you only have to spend a few more minutes to level and use your lvel 80 revanent straight away.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

A consume all would be lovely. It should still have a confirmation button, but just one instead of a whole stack’s worth. “Are you sure you want to use 60 Tomes of Knowledge?” “Are you sure you want to use 250 [Luck]?”

And the consume all option should be well at the bottom of the drop down, nowhere near the Use.

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

This.

Then make yourself a macro that continually clicks the left mouse button while you hold down some other key. Then you can use them up in seconds. No Carpel Tunnel, no broken mice, no annoyance. Against the rules of course, but stupid rules are made to be broken, especially if they have no effect on gameplay.

Posted by: Alpha.1308

Alpha.1308

or, you know, they could just not be ridiculous to their players after 3 years of making them constantly click bags/stacks of luck/ a whole bunch of other kitten and just finally add a bulk usage
but, hey, you know
why do that when fanbois can keep defending them saying that they’re doing their very best and trying their very hardest with other content and this is just a “minor inconvenience”
good thing we now have a Harbinger of Mordremoth outfit
don’t know how many countless hours i’ve spent clicking around outfits deciding which one i wanted most until this came around

Prophet.6257

Or it could be that you bought a razer naga, they are notorious for being cheaply made.

I’m sure that’s all it is.

No chance at all that it’s the thousands upon thousands of clicks I’ve done opening bags in this game had anything to do with it.

I bet if I just left that mouse on my desk it would have broke anyway. Geeze what was I thinking.

Posted by: Killyox.3950

Killyox.3950

Enter number of tomes you want to use, confirm. Done.

I got 112 just from monthly stuff.

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

What works for you, doesn’t work for someone else. For me, it is far not enough for several reasons.
1: I make my own builds. Off course I look at premade builds for isnpiration, but I want to make my own and test things out to perfection.
2: I don’t want to take anything people say to be automatically right. So I’ll learn by falling and standing up, and not just cause someone tells me how to do it.
3: I like to be helpfull to people. That is why I want a “normal” experience with all classes and have gone through levelling them up. I do use tomes to skip ahead. but never to the fullest.

I personally like my method a lot and I think it gives me better understanding bout classes then people who take another method. That doesn’t mean my method is better (nor the opposite). But it is the way I prefer to play it and approach it.

I totally respect others choice to level how they prefer, but if I may point out something that was pointed out to me when I said I was going to level more slowly.
All of the experience gained during that leveling period would have instead gone towards masteries, all the mapping, killing, events.
Spent on leveling up instead of going into masteries for core Tyria stuff, precursers, mentor boosts, pact commander stuff.
When I realized how much exp I was going to “waste” (IMO) on leveling instead of towards masteries I changed my mind and now plan to jump straight to 80 and learn from there.
Ymmv, and I wish you luck in however you proceed, I just like to point this out for consideration.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I totally respect others choice to level how they prefer, but if I may point out something that was pointed out to me when I said I was going to level more slowly.
All of the experience gained during that leveling period would have instead gone towards masteries, all the mapping, killing, events.
Spent on leveling up instead of going into masteries for core Tyria stuff, precursers, mentor boosts, pact commander stuff.
When I realized how much exp I was going to “waste” (IMO) on leveling instead of towards masteries I changed my mind and now plan to jump straight to 80 and learn from there.
Ymmv, and I wish you luck in however you proceed, I just like to point this out for consideration.

^
I was debating whether to level my Rev traditionally or by tomes. Both have their advantages. However when I realized that all that exp you earn while leveling is lost towards progressing your mastery line, it tipped the balance towards tomes. If you spend X hours leveling and use up 4.86 million exp to get to level 80, then that’s 4.86 million exp gained in those X hours that didn’t go towards your Masteries. If instead you instant tome your Rev and play those X hours and gain the same 4.86 million exp, it all goes towards endgame progression.

Just something to consider.

As to the OP’s post, yah I would like them to put in a use all function. Split the stack up to the number wanted, click use all. Have a confirmation accept for misclicks. Then use all. I haven’t broken any mice yet but I have had to take Tylenol for hand pain after some of the click heavy holiday events. This game could work towards reducing the overal number of clicks.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

No chance at all that it’s the thousands upon thousands of clicks I’ve done opening bags in this game had anything to do with it.

I bet if I just left that mouse on my desk it would have broke anyway. Geeze what was I thinking.

It probably would have, and I’ve had my mouse for over 3 years, zero problems(it’s a standard Alienware mouse) and I’ve clicked with that thing over several 100 thousand times, if not at least a million(not hard to do when you do everything but type by mouseclick). I think those that blame this game for breaking their mice have just not bought the right kind of mouse, it’s that simple…the simpler the mouse, the less chance of it breaking.

As for the ToK, I don’t even bother to save mine anymore, I just use them and get another Spirit Shard that I have no use for either, but it’s better than the ToK taking up slots in my bank. As for leveling, I do it the old fashioned way, but I don’t do story steps until I’ve outleveled two or 3 chapters, then blow through those all at once.

Prophet.6257

It probably would have, and I’ve had my mouse for over 3 years, zero problems(it’s a standard Alienware mouse) and I’ve clicked with that thing over several 100 thousand times, if not at least a million(not hard to do when you do everything but type by mouseclick). I think those that blame this game for breaking their mice have just not bought the right kind of mouse, it’s that simple…the simpler the mouse, the less chance of it breaking.

As for the ToK, I don’t even bother to save mine anymore, I just use them and get another Spirit Shard that I have no use for either, but it’s better than the ToK taking up slots in my bank. As for leveling, I do it the old fashioned way, but I don’t do story steps until I’ve outleveled two or 3 chapters, then blow through those all at once.

Product loyalty aside, this game could still use a quality of life improvident by having a “consume/use all” options. If for nothing other than streamlining “content” that is either inconsequential or annoying.

I’m sure something like this is VERY low on Anet’s priority list but count my vote for it being worth the development time. For whatever that is worth.

EDIT: And to be clear I don’t blame GW2 for my mouse breaking. I bought both the mouse and the game so I knew what I was getting into. I do consider it a bit more than a “…minor inconvenience” though.

(edited by Prophet.6257)