Tome of knowledge=Ruining the experience?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Webba.3071

Webba.3071

Do you honestly expect everyone to add IN MY OPINION to absolutely everything they type?

Its not a bad idea.

Posted by: Orochimaru.4730

Orochimaru.4730

Do I want to waste my time redoing an uninteresting storyline to get my new rev to 80, or shall I level to 80 using tombs and get straight into WvW?

Neither, I aint buying HoT at these prices!

Posted by: TheFantasticGman.9451

TheFantasticGman.9451

Ah, see, I never bother naming my pets because names don’t stick and I swap them around relatively often depending on what I’m doing. I really hope they fix that issue sometime in the near future.

That has been fixed. Tested it out before I shelved my Ranger. Sofa King Todded stayed on my jungle cat after changing it out, shutting down the app, then opening it back up, then switching back to the jungle cat.

Speaking from a PVE-only point of view…

Posted by: PlatinumMember.5274

PlatinumMember.5274

Do you honestly expect everyone to add IN MY OPINION to absolutely everything they type?

Its not a bad idea.

That is what they call passive writing. Passive writing is for the weak.

You don’t need to add IN my OPINION unless, because anything other than fact is your opinion.

Posted by: sean.6058

sean.6058

Leveling is an archaic means of “character progression” that serves zero purpose in 2015. Thankfully ArenaNet was smart enough not to add another meaningless 10-20 levels for us to grind out with Heart of Thorns. MMOs should allow us to progress our character through things like the mastery system or specializations, not meaningless levels.

If anything they should add an instant level 80 tome in the game shop. Or birthday boosters or something.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Its not a bad idea.

You don’t need to add IN my OPINION unless, because anything other than fact is your opinion.

Unless you state an opinion on the forum and then someone comes along and demands the source. Not everyone has high reading comprehension and sometimes it’s best to put imo (even when it’s obvious it’s an opinion) or get the thread derailed by a person telling you that what you said is not a fact.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Arlee.7038

Arlee.7038

Ah, see, I never bother naming my pets because names don’t stick and I swap them around relatively often depending on what I’m doing. I really hope they fix that issue sometime in the near future.

That has been fixed. Tested it out before I shelved my Ranger. Sofa King Todded stayed on my jungle cat after changing it out, shutting down the app, then opening it back up, then switching back to the jungle cat.

O.o I did this on this past Sunday and the name was not kept on my pet. I mean it would be awesome if it did actually work but I’ve never actually seen it work.

Posted by: Nidome.1365

Nidome.1365

My plan was to level a revenant to 80 using tomes to avoid the NPE, kit it out and then start map clearance & living story to lean the skills.
I have 8 characters of which the last two were levelled up under the NPE system. I found the NPE was a major obstacle to leaning how to play the class so I don’t want to repeat that kind of experience again.

Posted by: ekarat.1085

ekarat.1085

The way I see it, Anet deliberately put in lots of tomes that are easy to get, plus some birthday boosters, for vets that want to learn in the mists. Using tomes is a deliberate feature that Anet endorses, and that Anet doesn’t want to force alts into the NPE if they don’t want to.

As someone who started his first character under the NPE, I didn’t find it to be that bad, since the lockouts were brief. Plus, Anet has now dialed back on the lockouts (eg weapon swap from level 15→10).

The only issue I see is with new accounts, and I see that as a niche issue.

Posted by: Webba.3071

Webba.3071

You are labouring under serious misconceptions if you think the internet is where the strong hang out.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

O.o I did this on this past Sunday and the name was not kept on my pet. I mean it would be awesome if it did actually work but I’ve never actually seen it work.

It hasn’t worked for me either. (Granted it’s been a few weeks since I last tried) which was why I mentioned it.

Hmmmmm……

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: PlatinumMember.5274

PlatinumMember.5274

You are labouring under serious misconceptions if you think the internet is where the strong hang out.

Oh, I am fulling aware that the internet is the wrong place for a passive vs active writing debate.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

They are an option.

Your “experience” is what you want it to be….use them or don’t…again, an option.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Myxam.2790

Myxam.2790

Of course Tomes of Knowledge are ruining the experience. Too late now.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

I have gone though the NPE on several characters like most. I used tomes when I had them but most of the time it was grinding.

Now that I know the game mechanics? All I need to know are the mechanics of a profession …. and for that I do not need to spend a few months going through the same hearts I have done several times already.

I would suggest doing the first few levels as normal since they go fast early on anyway. Then when you get a good grasp on things tome to 80 and start playing with the new stuff like multiple trait lines.

Posted by: Coldtart.4785

Coldtart.4785

Of course Tomes of Knowledge are ruining the experience. Too late now.

Which experience is it ruining, exactly? The one where I press 1 a lot for exp, or the one where I press F a lot for exp?

Posted by: yakuza snowdragon.4639

yakuza snowdragon.4639

I have 8 level 80’s all different class’s, tomes are the best thing to happen for gamers like myself who don’t wish to repeat everything is game countless times, If you don’t like them don’t use them!!!

Posted by: Bingo.2174

Bingo.2174

I would never make an alt again if I had to deal with the curreent state of the “new player experience”. Not having both weapons unlocked, not having skills unlocked, etc is a pain in the kitten to anyone that has played more than one character. Even if you haven’t played before, the whole thing treats you like you’re a bit of a moron so there’s that…

Posted by: Paprikaspice.8462

Paprikaspice.8462

yeah, the new skill and trait system is quite bad. its so linear that it allows for minimal experimentation with skills. traits and skills also share points which wasnt a good change. also why the heck do the tiers not unkock all at once? it kills your feeling of choice a lot of the time.