Tomes of knowledge

Tomes of knowledge

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Am I the only one building up my stash of them now? I have a feeling we will see quite a few level 80 revenants within hours of the XP being released.

Tomes of knowledge

Posted by: Anzaman.1063

Anzaman.1063

Nope, I and my friends are stacking them as well.

Tomes of knowledge

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I’m betting there will be large numbers of “tome babies”

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Tomes of knowledge

Posted by: Ragnar the Rock.3174

Ragnar the Rock.3174

I have had about 500 of them in my bank now for a few months.

Seems a waste to use them when all my classes are already 80 and the scrolls are so easy to get.

Tomes of knowledge

Just a flesh wound.3589

I have had about 500 of them in my bank now for a few months.

Seems a waste to use them when all my classes are already 80 and the scrolls are so easy to get.

Might be useful to train mastery lines quickly instead of playing to get the exp needed to advance them. One person got one out of a container in the stress test and it advanced the mastery line by one-fifth. 500 tomes would be enough to advance the mastery lines 100 times, assuming that they stay at one fifth of a bar.

I think I read though, that the Devs haven’t decided what to do with them yet.

ANet may give it to you.

Tomes of knowledge

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

“Now”? I’ve been hoarding them for a few months, up to 463 in my bank already (geez louise, ANet, your censorship is way too sensitive. Having “I keep” following “bank.” triggered the censor kitten, took me a while to realize what was being censored). I keep meaning to use them for keyfarming, but have just been too lazy.

(edited by Pandaman.4758)

Tomes of knowledge

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

I had to use a few the first few weeks as I had a sub-80 character I wanted at 80 but was hanging around wintersday too much. Anyway, I currently have 44 (?) and I am guessing by the release date I will have 70 more or less. I figure if I do not have 80 I can do the first few levels as they go super-quick.

edit: Oh, the other thing I have been saving up is scrolls of knowledge so I can give the character a fast boost to the skill level the others are at.

Tomes of knowledge

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

Might be useful to train mastery lines quickly instead of playing to get the exp needed to advance them.

You’d still need mastery points though, you can not advance masteries through xp / tomes alone.

Tomes of knowledge

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

I only have about 30 of them now, but i dont go out and activly farm them or anything.

Tomes of knowledge

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

I have ‘only’ a stack of them. I actually hope they cannot be used for mastery points. That would be very blah. (I know I am weak and lazy.)

Tomes of knowledge

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

I doubt they are going to allow you to use instant lv up tomes you could have been stacking for over a year to deal with the new mastery.

They’re not dumb.

Tomes of knowledge

Just a flesh wound.3589

Might be useful to train mastery lines quickly instead of playing to get the exp needed to advance them.

You’d still need mastery points though, you can not advance masteries through xp / tomes alone.

Yes, I know. But it does makes it easier. For example, the Stress area had 2 Mastery point commune spots and I got 2 more from doing new content. Without tomes you could get those MPs but not necessarily be able to slot them because the mastery track you are training wasn’t advanced far enough. You would have to play events and get enough exp to advance the track four times to get to the 4 MP slots. With tomes, you can use up enough to get to the slots and use the 4 MP immediately.

ANet may give it to you.

Tomes of knowledge

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

Yes, I know. But it does makes it easier. For example, the Stress area had 2 Mastery point commune spots and I got 2 more from doing new content. Without tomes you could get those MPs but not necessarily be able to slot them because the mastery track you are training wasn’t advanced far enough. You would have to play events and get enough exp to advance the track four times to get to the 4 MP slots. With tomes, you can use up enough to get to the slots and use the 4 MP immediately.

I guess it comes down to a few things:

1) How quickly do they want us to fill up a bar? Doing 20 events to fill your exp bar also isn’t that hard, and within a day or two I’m sure people will find the fastest way in HoT to fill up your bar, in the core game we already have plenty of options – event trains, champ trains, dungeons, etc.. If a ToK gives “1 lvl” worth of exp, and it tentatively gives 1/5 of a mastery bar, that’s roughly 100 events. Even if that was “sped up” and we need 500 events to get 1 mastery bar worth of exp, a tome should still give the equivalent of 20 events worth of exp. And on a related note, what purpose does EXP have if you run out of mastery points and can’t activate a new line?

2) Are the mastery lines going to be “tiered”? I believe I’ve read that it will cost more mastery points to get the 2nd trait than the first, but will it also cost more xp? It’d be an easy way for them to gate the content for most people. Less likely that people will complaining about having to play for ~5 hours to unlock just the basic glider, but still provide some longevity to the system (which will most likely be maxed out by a lot of heavy players in the first month [ ahem week] or two).

3) If ToK don’t give any exp towards the Mastery bar what purpose do they have for lvl 80s? Anyone who plays PvP even semi regularly must have a lot saved up by now (or gaining them at a steady pace), and others already easily have 5-8+ lvl 80s, If tomes don’t give any mastery progress they need to be changed to at least have some use on a lvl 80 (since they are removing skill points from level ups).