Too much work to unlock elite specs

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Khristophoros.7194

Khristophoros.7194

Do we get enough hero points for the full spec from completing all hero points challenges, or is there another way? I feel like thats not enough if its 1 point each for them

It’s 10 points per hero point challenge in the new maps… but you have to spend hours leveling your masteries to gain access to most of the challenges AND a lot of them are pretty difficult to even locate in the first place.

OMG HOURS! I have to spend HOURS!

Why wont they think of the children? WHYYYY.

GDMNT but kids are entitled these days. You guys would never have lasted a week in the original EQ.

THAT’S WHY I DIDN’T PLAY EQ. BECAUSE I’M NOT A MASOCHIST.

Khristophoros.7194

Sorry, everyone is just spoiled. You’re use to insta leveling a bunch of toons without any work required. Now that you cant tome or EoTM your way to something, you’re mad.

It’s not even that much work. Once you get all your masteries an reach the hero points you need, it’s pretty much a breeze with the rest of your characters.

Because you have 20+ alts with 3% map completion each, isn’t a reason for anet to lower the required hero points.

I can’t even GET the hero points if I’m being totally honest. It’s too hard. Am I supposed to be able to solo a champion frog assassin thing with 2 adds? Actually I almost did but then I fell through hole in the floor.

I managed to 2 man another champion hero point challenge because I was lucky that somebody else even showed up. And it was only 10 of the 25 points needed for the next skill… a skill I’m not even planning to use but I need to unlock anyway.

This is sadistic.

Posted by: Samhayn.2385

Samhayn.2385

Sorry, everyone is just spoiled. You’re use to insta leveling a bunch of toons without any work required. Now that you cant tome or EoTM your way to something, you’re mad.

It’s not even that much work. Once you get all your masteries an reach the hero points you need, it’s pretty much a breeze with the rest of your characters.

Because you have 20+ alts with 3% map completion each, isn’t a reason for anet to lower the required hero points.

I have every hero challenge in the base game unlocked is it really asking for stuff to be handed to me when all I want IS 12 traits to be unlocked in the elite line so I can do the new content with a fully traited reaper?

It was 2 vs 20 but its ok we got’em both!

Posted by: misterman.1530

misterman.1530

I can’t even GET the hero points if I’m being totally honest. It’s too hard. Am I supposed to be able to solo a champion frog assassin thing with 2 adds? Actually I almost did but then I fell through hole in the floor.

I managed to 2 man another champion hero point challenge because I was lucky that somebody else even showed up. And it was only 10 of the 25 points needed for the next skill… a skill I’m not even planning to use but I need to unlock anyway.

This is sadistic.

It’s funny. People are saying that the crappy WvW maps are empty because everyone is in PvE. Yet, people in the new PvE map are saying that they have to try and solo things or hope someone shows up. So, if the PvE maps are empty-ish and the WvW maps are definitely empty…where is everyone? PvP?

Posted by: Linfang.1087

Linfang.1087

My biggest concern is all the content you have to do as a non elite to become your spec. I would be so burnt out and tired once I maxed my trait line I would not want to play anymore yet alone my elite which I actually needed back then while I was getting hero points

Khristophoros.7194

This is sadistic.

It’s funny. People are saying that the crappy WvW maps are empty because everyone is in PvE. Yet, people in the new PvE map are saying that they have to try and solo things or hope someone shows up. So, if the PvE maps are empty-ish and the WvW maps are definitely empty…where is everyone? PvP?

There are people but they are unlikely to find their way up to the champion hero point challenges up on the canopy at the same time as other players. And they are unlikely to sit there and wait for somebody else to show up. And I doubt most of them are skilled enough or have a strong enough character to 2-3 man it.

Posted by: Rodzynald.5897

Rodzynald.5897

The problem is Devs doesnt realize that some players has multiple characters that they frequently play…
After all this isnt the first time they do something like this…

Now… can you stop doing it ANet and fix this?
400HP for elite spec is ridiculous…
Since players are left with 2 choices….
1. Grind boringly for map completion, then struggle to get 20 Jungle Challenges (where 80% are Mastery gated)
2. or do 100% completion of Jungle Challenges, … with that distance and few and far Waypoints

Suggestion is simple, reduce HP requirement down to 200.

So you can unlock about everything with just HP you already have back from Tyria ?
How about move your sweet bottom and do dem challanges, its an elite after all.
Show everyone that you are not a lazy bum and you can take a hard hit to the face
because of such demands, elite specs won’t feel elite at all.

We just have to deserve it.

Guardian is meant for jolly crusading.

Posted by: Avlaen.7241

Avlaen.7241

This is sadistic.

There are people but they are unlikely to find their way up to the champion hero point challenges up on the canopy at the same time as other players. And they are unlikely to sit there and wait for somebody else to show up. And I doubt most of them are skilled enough or have a strong enough character to 2-3 man it.

The map screams Explore and do things, but the mobs and challenges scream get a group. its awful design really.

Khristophoros.7194

The problem is Devs doesnt realize that some players has multiple characters that they frequently play…

1. Grind boringly for map completion, then struggle to get 20 Jungle Challenges (where 80% are Mastery gated)
2. or do 100% completion of Jungle Challenges, … with that distance and few and far Waypoints

So you can unlock about everything with just HP you already have back from Tyria ?
Show everyone that you are not a lazy bum and you can take a hard hit to the face

Anet didn’t advertise this. They should have said “elite specializations will be challenging to unlock! Put your game face on!”

But they didn’t because if they did nobody would have bought the game.

The fact that they didn’t even tell us it would be like this shows that they knew we wouldn’t like it… and yet they did it anyway because reasons…?

Posted by: curtegg.5216

curtegg.5216

It’s not the work I’m complaining about, but the fact the amount of events and things to do seem a bit low compared to the other maps and using that for grinding masteries is sort of oxymoronic.

Posted by: Bindaeyen.9613

Bindaeyen.9613

Do we get enough hero points for the full spec from completing all hero points challenges, or is there another way? I feel like thats not enough if its 1 point each for them

It’s 10 points per hero point challenge in the new maps… but you have to spend hours leveling your masteries to gain access to most of the challenges AND a lot of them are pretty difficult to even locate in the first place.

OMG HOURS! I have to spend HOURS!

Why wont they think of the children? WHYYYY.

GDMNT but kids are entitled these days. You guys would never have lasted a week in the original EQ.

Funny thing there….I played EQ starting back in the PoP days. Might not be the Pre-Luclin era that people talk about, but I still remember stuff like having to get a Necro or Shadowknight to summon my corpse after deleveling.. Got my magicians epic 1.0(Quillmane camping anyone?). I loved that game. And I think this grind is stupid.

Not all grind is created equal. The EQ grind was great because of how much there was to explore. The game was so difficult that it never felt like you HAD to complete everything. Most stuff you really worked for was on the side, and you always had more to do, and more zones to explore. The game was largely designed with the self-knowledge that most people just won’t be able to do a lot of the grinding beyond leveling, and that additional grinding was for fun stuff like faction or clickies or mounts. You could still play the game just fine without AAs, and you got enough new content regularly to where you didn’t really feel like you were missing out if you couldn’t. The people who ran out of stuff to do were the ones with their AAs filled out anyways, and more casual folks just enjoyed the power creep while working on little side projects like being able to walk around Neriak safely.

This game, however, is built on the idea of a minimal mechanical grind. Anything you really grind for is cosmetic and unnecessary. Except for specs. This means that the game is designed around you not really having prolonged periods of progression. The new system they have for training trait lines and skills works because its VERY EASY to fill them out and you’re not left for long without being able to grab what you want or with completely broken trait lines. Trying to shove a huge grind-gated new trait line into the system makes no godkitten sense, because you’re left as a level 80 being forced to take an incomplete trait line to gain access to a new mechanic/weapon while taking utilities you may or may not want BEFORE being able to fill out a basic build. It just doesn’t work with the system they’ve made, and would admittedly be significantly less annoying for most classes(not Heralds, though…) if you got to choose what you want like you were at an old EQ spell vendor. But with the current system it’s idiotically terrible.

Posted by: AivenPrimus.9184

AivenPrimus.9184

Because it is a CHORE not acomplishment,
and having to do it on EVERY character proves that.
It isnt something like Legendary crafting or anything, since you unlock it on every character.

And it goes like this:

1. You enter HoT map…unlock some waypoints for THIS character, then walk kilometer to 1 challange, magic happens, then move a kilometer to next challange (which is nothing but walking).
  2. If you die, fail or anything… you must teleport to >>Uncontensted<< Waypoint… which is kilometer away, and then run back to Challange.

And you must do this on Every character … does that sound like fun to you?

Sure you unlock masteries on every character, but process of getting those challanges doesnt change.

Posted by: Cactus Brawler.7415

Cactus Brawler.7415

Ah comparisons to Everquest, AKA Evercrack AKA the game that invented poop socking and taking a slash in over sized soda bottles.

There is a reason that MMO’s were never ‘popular’ back in the days of Everquest, hell this game was sold on the understanding it would avoid the things that made Everquest only played by the basement dwellers with no real life commitments.

Posted by: Dashingsteel.3410

Dashingsteel.3410

Specialization should cost the same as any other trait line. The utility skills should also cost the same as other utilities and should be separate from the trait line wheel. A lot of players want to experience the wonderful new maps and events WITH the elite specs. The mastery system should be the thing you have to unlock to display the new growth of your character not the profession specialization. I really wish gw2 would have kept the skill point system. That system didn’t drag you around by a leash forcing you into certain content. Wish we still had profession books and skill points not this hero point crap. The stench of the new player experience lingers on.

Posted by: ugrakarma.9416

ugrakarma.9416

I do not understand what you guys are whining, very soon we will see in LFG some thing like “Verdank brink train”, and then a huge crowd following a comander demolishing everything ahead.

For solo players, it really is a harsh map, but reasonable content. I’ve seen other standard games like the new content not meant to be unlocked all in one day, but a few months.

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

Maguuma challenges are worth 10 pts each

Yes, and there are 40 of them, many gated behind masteries.
Tons of grinding masteries just to get there, and then they’re champs you need zergs to take down.
And you need all of them if you aren’t going to go grind core world completion to shave off half the cost, or grind WvW for who knows how freaking long.
I don’t want to get my herald at the end of HoT’s content.
I wanted to play HoT with my herald.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Posted by: Osu.6307

Osu.6307

Even simpler, cut the xp needed for each mastery/hero point by about 75%.

Anet, you are seriously making the same mistake that ESO made with their VR system that demanded inordinate amounts of grinding. Don’t make grinding mandatory. It’s really what sets GW2 apart from every other MMO.

Osu

Posted by: Cactus Brawler.7415

Cactus Brawler.7415

Because it is a CHORE not acomplishment,
and having to do it on EVERY character proves that.
It isnt something like Legendary crafting or anything, since you unlock it on every character.

And it goes like this:

1. You enter HoT map…unlock some waypoints for THIS character, then walk kilometer to 1 challange, magic happens, then move a kilometer to next challange (which is nothing but walking).
  2. If you die, fail or anything… you must teleport to >>Uncontensted<< Waypoint… which is kilometer away, and then run back to Challange.

And you must do this on Every character … does that sound like fun to you?

Sure you unlock masteries on every character, but process of getting those challanges doesnt change.

Don’t forget that walking to some of these challenges will kill you because you didn’t have a mastery that costs 5million exp to unlock.

Don’t forget that some of these challenges won’t even work for you because you can’t even begin unlocking the right type of frog mastery until you’ve been to the final map.

Honestly these mastery’s are just a reputation grind from WoW just somehow more boring.

Posted by: AVOCADO DREAM.2716

AVOCADO DREAM.2716

Anet didn’t advertise this. They should have said “elite specializations will be challenging to unlock! Put your game face on!”

But they didn’t because if they did nobody would have bought the game.

This is the case for me. I came to the forums to see how the general reception was after the first day. I am shocked to find out that if I had bought the expac, I wouldn’t have been able to begin to find out which elite spec I enjoyed the most without hours upon hours of grinding (something that’s not ideal, because I work a full time job). This is just bad design. I can understand putting cosmetics behind a treadmill, but class functionality? Great decision there Anet. I’m beginning to think I made a wise decision passing on HoT.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

The odd thing about specializations is how you’re forced into a single path. When it comes to general progression, the game has always been about playing however you want. There was always some alternative (like skill points at 80 for the originals). Now compare it to other MMOs that simply increase the level cap. You’re given new skills as you level, which ironically allows you to play however you want. The equivalent here would have been making each elite specialization a mastery line. It’s odd that GW2 went with the less casual approach, however this is the consequence of horizontal endgame progression, where instead of gear, it’s your character that you have to work for.

The need to unlock the full trait line is the problem. Like any other MMO, people want to acquire the new skills as they play through the expansion, but without intentionally nerfing yourself because of the trait line. If only you were allowed to pick and choose exactly what you wanted to unlock, but still given an incentive to unlock everything (like a +5% damage bonus on the skills for unlocking the full trait line).

Posted by: Dashingsteel.3410

Dashingsteel.3410

“You should have to earn it. It is an elite after all!!” Reallly??? Besides Anet tagging these specializations with the word elite what is truly elite about them? Are they more powerful than the regular professions? If so we have a pay to win problem(expansion players vs. non-expansion players) These new trait lines and utility skills shouldn’t cost anymore than regular trait lines and utilities. Using buzz words to justify 400 hero points is simply ridiculous.

Posted by: John.8507

John.8507

I dont have the expansion yet, waiting for reviews, but can’t you use other hero points from the rest of the game, and points you collected before?

Or are you just using tomes to level a new character to 80 then going to the jungle without any other collected points.

It sounds like you all have 0 hero points to start with but the rest of the game should count

Posted by: Krysard.1364

Krysard.1364

If someone has 100% map completition with all his chars, I think he deserves the elite spec. Imo what we have to spend our time for are masteries, not specs

M I L K B O I S

Khristophoros.7194

If someone has 100% map completition with all his chars, I think he deserves the elite spec. Imo what we have to spend our time for are masteries, not specs

Yeah they should make the masteries the focus here. It honestly feels like meaningful progression to work on masteries, but the elite spec thing is ruining everything for me. I can’t enjoy this game right now.

Khristophoros.7194

I dont have the expansion yet, waiting for reviews, but can’t you use other hero points from the rest of the game, and points you collected before?

Or are you just using tomes to level a new character to 80 then going to the jungle without any other collected points.

It sounds like you all have 0 hero points to start with but the rest of the game should count

If you have 100% map completion from the rest of the game, you only have enough points to unlock half of the skills/traits from your elite spec because it requires so many hero points compared to the old skills/traits. The challenges in the new area provide 10 points each so they are the only way to get enough points… or you can grind WvW but that takes forever. It’s like every WvW rank up gives you 2 points IIRC.

So you’re forced to do the new hero point challenges in the new areas and they are hard to find, require masteries, and a lot of them require you to kill a champion.

Posted by: Gabi.6985

Gabi.6985

I bought HoT because i was excited by the new elite spec, the new class: the Revenant, and a few new maps, i think i won’t be alone if i’m saying i can only play around 5hours a week because of a bunch of things including work.

Now, I started playing yesterday and all i could do is farming that amazingly boring event over and over and over to get the mastery to explore the entire map and then do the HP where in reality you cannot do this all by your own(solo players yes).

I tought by playing during the beta that the elite specialisation would be acquired by doing some stuff regarding the story, but hell no you have to do 400HP. With my 5 hours a week and if you count the mastery farm to go further in the story it will takes ages, and i might unlock the elite spec (With only 1 char) when i will finish hot story line ?

I’m okay with unlocking things but seriously in this expantion you HAVE to GRIND everything, you can’t pass trought the first map if you havent grind the same event for hours and so the story.

WP anet… a player who started in Profecy.