Try Number 2... New GW2 buyers get screwed?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Gallahad.9834

Gallahad.9834

Q:

This is the second time ive posted this, lets see if it gets deleted again… So with this new expansion it includes the core game as well as the expansion? So in other words i just paid $60 for GW2 when i could have gotten it AND the expansion for $50 if i had just waited? or is the expansion JUST the expansion and not include the core game?

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Correct, currently the expansion comes with the base game rolled in to it for ‘free’ regardless of which package you purchase.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

If you paid $60 for the core game, you have had the core game for some time. If you are saying these past years of investment in the game are worth nothing to you, then I guess you could have waited and started working on everything right now.

I know I wouldn’t want to give up all I’ve accomplished in the past 3 years.

If you are saying you paid $60 dollars in the last month or two, you probably got ripped off by some retailer (as the core game has not been that price through ArenaNet for at least 2 years), then I suggest you speak to said retailer or your credit card company. Once you get your money back from them, you can purchase HoT (core game included), and start your journey through Tyria.

Good luck!

Posted by: TheReaper.5729

TheReaper.5729

Good post!

Current pricing is a NO GO for me just based on principle.

I suggest raising the price for new players to $60 (still a great deal for core game plus expansion).

Existing owners something for a standard game expansion price. I suggest $40 for:
- Expansion game
- 1 Character slot
- 2000 Gems

Posted by: Shalloe.4867

Shalloe.4867

Posted by: Gray.9041

Gray.9041

Correct, currently the expansion comes with the base game rolled in to it for ‘free’ regardless of which package you purchase.

unless you already have the base game, in which case you only get the expansion – a much lower return for the same amount of money.

Posted by: Random.4691

Random.4691

If its part of the bundle in which you are paying money for it is not free. It is now a feature of the bundle, the Revenant is not free, the maps are not free, the specialization is not free even if they tell you it is. You are paying to receive it.

Posted by: Straylight.7529

Straylight.7529

If its part of the bundle in which you are paying money for it is not free. It is now a feature of the bundle, the Revenant is not free, the maps are not free, the specialization is not free even if they tell you it is. You are paying to receive it.

But all the things you listed are part of the expansion, not the core game. Of course they are not free. Unless you meant the old maps and the old specializations. Those are free if you’re a new player.

Random.4691

But all the things you listed are part of the expansion, not the core game. Of course they are not free. Unless you meant the old maps and the old specializations. Those are free if you’re a new player.

Are you paying money in order to get the core game ? The answer is yes.

You can say you are paying for the expansion until you’re blue in the face but the core game is bundles in with the expansion that you are paying for, thus it is not free.

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

Ask a refund………

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

Straylight.7529

You can say you are paying for the expansion until you’re blue in the face but the core game is bundles in with the expansion that you are paying for, thus it is not free.

Of course it’s free. You pay 50$ for the expansion. The core game is thrown in for free. They could have also charged new players another 20$ (for the core game) on top of the 50$. That wouldn’t have been free.
The core game is for free when you purchase HoT. That’s a fact.

Posted by: dragon.8071

dragon.8071

If you paid $60 for the core game, you have had the core game for some time. If you are saying these past years of investment in the game are worth nothing to you, then I guess you could have waited and started working on everything right now.

I know I wouldn’t want to give up all I’ve accomplished in the past 3 years.

If you are saying you paid $60 dollars in the last month or two, you probably got ripped off by some retailer (as the core game has not been that price through ArenaNet for at least 2 years), then I suggest you speak to said retailer or your credit card company. Once you get your money back from them, you can purchase HoT (core game included), and start your journey through Tyria.

Good luck!

So you are assuming the $50 people who already have the core is paying for is basically like paying a ransom to retain existing progress along with getting the few additions that is being added? I don’t see the logic in paying a ransom. I’ll hold off on paying ransom until it gets negotiated with better terms.

Zerg Doors [ZD]

“Recent Graduate of Maguuma University with a degree in Forums Politics”

dragon.8071

Of course it’s free. You pay 50$ for the expansion. The core game is thrown in for free. They could have also charged new players another 20$ (for the core game) on top of the 50$. That wouldn’t have been free.

Thrown in free along with an expansion means it’s a bundled package.

Zerg Doors [ZD]

Posted by: Kumion.7580

Kumion.7580

…Are you paying money in order to get the core game ? The answer is yes.

Agreed. If the core game was truly free, it would be available as a free download on their website. It is no more free than an infomercial that offers extra things for “free” if you order Right Now!

Random.4691

If you’re going to use the word fact, you should take some time and look up the definition of free.

Straylight.7529

No it’s a free bonus. You only pay for HoT. If you happen to be a new player you get the core game thrown in for free.

As of now, everyone pays for HoT and only HoT and the people who don’t own the core game yet get it thrown after for free.

Straylight.7529

…Are you paying money in order to get the core game ? The answer is yes.

Agreed. If the core game was truly free, it would be available as a free download on their website. It is no more free than an infomercial that offers extra things for “free” if you order Right Now!

But that is absolutely unnecessary. Why would you buy the core game if you can buy the expansion for a lower price and get the core game for free in the process?

dragon.8071

No it’s a free bonus. You only pay for HoT. If you happen to be a new player you get the core game thrown in for free.

As of now, everyone pays for HoT and only HoT and the people who don’t own the core game yet get it thrown after for free.

Free bonus = bundled package for new players. Existing players gets a non fully functional bundled package.

Zerg Doors [ZD]

Random.4691

Let’s pretend for a second that they gave you a separate code for the core copy when they “threw it in with the bundle”, and then let’s pretend that everyone received a separate code, not just new players. Now you MIGHT have a valid argument for it being free.

Currently it is part of the bundle you are purchasing, it does not have its own game key which makes it part of the expansion. So no, it is not free.

Posted by: Giland.4507

Giland.4507

No technically at this point it will depend if it is just prepaid special you can get exactly what the new players get if you create. a new account no loss in value there.

“In the end, we are all just killers and we couldn’t be bothered to care.”

dragon.8071

No technically at this point it will depend if it is just prepaid special you can get exactly what the new players get if you create. a new account no loss in value there.

They knowingly that existing players don’t want to start from scratch, thus created this dilemma in the first place. They figure they’ll easily gouge the existing player base for that $50 with no resistance. Their mentality by the marketing team is that resistance is futile.

Zerg Doors [ZD]

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

unless you already have the base game, in which case you only get the expansion – a much lower return for the same amount of money.

Hence my use of ‘free’ and not free.

Attachments:

Posted by: yakuza snowdragon.4639

yakuza snowdragon.4639

This is the second time ive posted this, lets see if it gets deleted again… So with this new expansion it includes the core game as well as the expansion? So in other words i just paid $60 for GW2 when i could have gotten it AND the expansion for $50 if i had just waited? or is the expansion JUST the expansion and not include the core game?

You didn’t get screwed, just bad timing, did you want them to pull all sales 1-3 months before releasing the expac with free core game? bad luck build a bridge and stop posting how hard the world is to you.

Posted by: Omocha.4931

Omocha.4931

Good post!

Current pricing is a NO GO for me just based on principle.

I suggest raising the price for new players to $60 (still a great deal for core game plus expansion).

Existing owners something for a standard game expansion price. I suggest $40 for:
- Expansion game
- 1 Character slot
- 2000 Gems

So if 4000 gems is roughly $50, you’d want: Expansion+$10+$25 at $40?
That’s pretty much the customer version of NC )

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

You didn’t get screwed, just bad timing, did you want them to pull all sales 1-3 months before releasing the expac with free core game? bad luck build a bridge and stop posting how hard the world is to you.

It’s bad luck and Anet saw it coming but said nothing. In fact they planned it.

Hell, next time you walk down the street and someone doesn’t warn you when something’s falling down even though they could keep you from harm, I’ll be happy to remind you of this post.

Of course it’s not the same situation but it’s the same type of reasoning. If Anet had announced that the core game would come free with the expansion much earlier, all of this wouldn’t have happened. So yeh people feel screwed over cause Anet got them to spend cash on a bad deal, while withholding the better deal till the last moment.

Clever, but not very nice. It might even backfire, but they might sell enough copies yet.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Some posters claim to have paid $60 (not necessarily the OP), and if bought from ArenaNet, that was many years ago. They then ask for the expansion at no charge. Thus, they want far more than any new player gets: the ability to have 3 years worth of experience and progression for the same price (or only 10 dollars more) than anyone who purchases newly purchases HoT.

That doesn’t sound any more fair than what many are complaining about now, to me.

The OP says he could have waited and paid the same price. Yes, he could have waited 3 years (because $60 hasn’t been the price in a long time), and received the core game and the expansion at nearly the same price. But, there is a cost for waiting for lower prices for items, and the cost in the game is an absence of progression. Since, it seems he would not mind the absence of progression (he said he could have waited), he has the option to wait until HoT sells for 5 or 10 dollars ( and postpone any progress until purchase).

Posted by: Gray.9041

Gray.9041

Some posters claim to have paid $60 (not necessarily the OP), and if bought from ArenaNet, that was many years ago. They then ask for the expansion at no charge. Thus, they want far more than any new player gets: the ability to have 3 years worth of experience and progression for the same price (or only 10 dollars more) than anyone who purchases newly purchases HoT.

That doesn’t sound any more fair than what many are complaining about now, to me.

The OP says he could have waited and paid the same price. Yes, he could have waited 3 years (because $60 hasn’t been the price in a long time), and received the core game and the expansion at nearly the same price. But, there is a cost for waiting for lower prices for items, and the cost in the game is an absence of progression. Since, it seems he would not mind the absence of progression (he said he could have waited), he has the option to wait until HoT sells for 5 or 10 dollars ( and postpone any progress until purchase).

I agree that the arguments you’ve listed are silly.

however, the fact that only new players get the free core game is a valid point. any core game given out with HoT will be equally unable to access past content, and so is worth the same to everyone. the fact that some people get core game + HoT for$50 and some only get HoT for $50 is unarguably unfair.

Posted by: Marthkus.4615

Marthkus.4615

“There is no such thing as a free lunch”

Posted by: Giland.4507

Giland.4507

You have not been screwed though I am sure you probably could have worded that more constructively. Because you don’t have to purchase the expansion. Also if you choose to you could get the same deal as new players by creating a second account.

“In the end, we are all just killers and we couldn’t be bothered to care.”