Tying Personal Story and Legendaries

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Eneldiar.9670

Eneldiar.9670

I’m sure that this has been thought of, but I still want to discuss it.

I was pretty pumped when HoT came out and heard about the collectible legendary items; then I found out it still required a boatload of crafting and mat/gold farming. A lot of people were disappointed because it boiled down to the same grind as before. Maybe this has changed as I haven’t even given any thought to legendary items in several months.

It seems like the personal story would be the perfect tool for making this happen – not the regular story but perhaps one you can start once you’re level 80 or reach a certain mastery level – and the quest brings you through different dungeons/events/raids and as the story branches, you begin to hone down on the specific legendary you desire. Make parts of the story that are extremely difficult or require others to do and eventually – at the end – somebody gets their legendary. It doesn’t require waiting until you have enough gold/materials or anything like that.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the game and I’m not looking for an argument (although I expect someone to say something that implies I’m an idiot lol) but what are people’s thoughts on this? Do others think this would be a nifty idea or have things changed since the last time I played?

Posted by: BloodyNine.7504

BloodyNine.7504

I think that would be cool. It would be nice to be able to obtain one without having to spend ridiculous amounts of gold. Just lots of hard work. But I don’t know if it will ever happen.

Eneldiar.9670

That’s akin to how I felt, I thought it would be a cool suggestion.

Posted by: Shylock.4653

Shylock.4653

I was pretty pumped when HoT came out and heard about the collectible legendary items; then I found out it still required a boatload of crafting and mat/gold farming. A lot of people were disappointed because it boiled down to the same grind as before.

I didn’t get that. Anet announced a way which requires the same amount of work/costs as before but doesn’t involves much RNG. How could someone be disappointed because Anet did as they said? Anet always said that the purpose of theses collections is to eliminate RNG and not to devalue precursors.

Eneldiar.9670

I was pretty pumped when HoT came out and heard about the collectible legendary items; then I found out it still required a boatload of crafting and mat/gold farming. A lot of people were disappointed because it boiled down to the same grind as before.

I didn’t get that. Anet announced a way which requires the same amount of work/costs as before but doesn’t involves much RNG. How could someone be disappointed because Anet did as they said? Anet always said that the purpose of theses collections is to eliminate RNG and not to devalue precursors.

The RNG of precursors was a separate issue – which I am glad is gone – the issue I was referring to was more just the massive time spent farming gold/mats for a legendary. A lot of people take the “just play and you’ll get what you need” approach to getting materials and gold, which is understandable, but the Personal Story would still be a nice alternative – assuming of course that it was difficult enough and they could do with without devaluing precursor as you said.

Posted by: Taxidriver.2043

Taxidriver.2043

buy gems from anet problem solved.

Posted by: Shylock.4653

Shylock.4653

but the Personal Story would still be a nice alternative – assuming of course that it was difficult enough and they could do with without devaluing precursor as you said.

Content so difficult that it is comparable to 1,000g? That content had to make raids look like a walk in the park. The forum is full of threads about the high difficulty of raids. If anet introduces content which is way more difficult than raids to get precursors, they risk to get tarred and feathered by the angry forum mob.

(edited by Shylock.4653)

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

I’m all for this sort of thing being added to the Legendary journey but it should STILL require a lot of mats, gold etc, the game needs a material/gold sink, a long term goal and Legendaries play an important part of the economy due to their requirements.

Posted by: BloodyNine.7504

BloodyNine.7504

I guess I would just like to see a system that was the more time you had to invest the less gold. And then the inverse as well. It is to the point somewhat. Though the cost is still extremely high IMO.

For now, I just forget that legendary weapons exist.

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

Make parts of the story that are extremely difficult or require others to do and eventually – at the end – somebody gets their legendary.

No thanks, leave entirely optional stuff out of the core story content. Why anyone wants a legendary is beyond me considering they’re no better than Ascended .. yeah, I know why, ‘bragging rights’ (I’d use the ‘e’ word but it’s censored) .. but I don’t mind as long as it doesn’t affect the core content of the game, which is and always has been the Story, by Anet’s own words and designs.

Eneldiar.9670

Make parts of the story that are extremely difficult or require others to do and eventually – at the end – somebody gets their legendary.

No thanks, leave entirely optional stuff out of the core story content. Why anyone wants a legendary is beyond me considering they’re no better than Ascended .. yeah, I know why, ‘bragging rights’ (I’d use the ‘e’ word but it’s censored) .. but I don’t mind as long as it doesn’t affect the core content of the game, which is and always has been the Story, by Anet’s own words and designs.

I wasn’t saying that the story related to the legendary and the actual game story would be interrelated, I was thinking totally separate stories – the core story and then an optional story for the legendary. I didn’t want the legendary to be a part of the core story – but they could design an extra personal story – unrelated to the main game – for legendaries.

Posted by: Rasgalinj.2763

Rasgalinj.2763

I was so thrilled when I got the first collection and saw objectives like seeking out certain people, doing certain world objectives, get items from fractals. Then when the actual crafting started it was just one massive letdown. Another eternal grind with literally nothing interesting going for it.

Idea was good (initially), execution was terrible.

Surely there must be ways to make such objectives time/skill-demanding without the whole mat/gold grind..