Upgrading from vanilla game (Question)

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Samurai Jack.5329

Samurai Jack.5329

Now that HoT is actually out and everything, do I get absolutely anything extra from upgrading to HoT? The expansion comes with the entire original game, so will I really be paying $50 just for the expansion and nothing else if I’m upgrading?

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Correct you get nothing extra.

Posted by: nsleep.7839

nsleep.7839

Correct you get nothing extra.

Not that correct.

You get some stuff that would cost gems otherwise AND the full access to the trading post. And you can only buy gems with gold with the expansion, so there is that.

What you get together with the expansion:

- Full access to the Trading Post and Mail System.
- 3 characters slots.
- 2 bag slots to every character.
- Daily login bonus.

Everything else that the expasion limits are behind level gates or something else but can be done in the end.

Posted by: FogLeg.9354

FogLeg.9354

I get the feeling original poster is asking about upgrade from pre-HoT payed game, not the current free-to-play version.

If you already payed for GW2 once before HoT then you only get access to the new HoT stuff (new maps, elite specs etc).

Posted by: Elric Of Melnibone.4781

Elric Of Melnibone.4781

You do get an extra character slot when upgrading a paid version, at least I did, but maybe that was part of a pre-order deal.

Posted by: nottsgman.8206

nottsgman.8206

You do get an extra character slot when upgrading a paid version, at least I did, but maybe that was part of a pre-order deal.

that was pre-order only. now you get that only with deluxe and ultimate versions

70 ‘mains’ and waiting for more slots
| 61 Asura | 5 Charr | 2 Norn | 1 Human | 1 Sylvari |

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

The expansion is $50 to $100 depending on which version you are getting with the extras the more expensive ones have in them. If you don’t want to spend the money than don’t buy it. If you want the stuff in the expansion and access to LS3 when it comes then buy it. What more do you need to know?

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

You get some stuff that would cost gems otherwise AND the full access to the trading post. And you can only buy gems with gold with the expansion, so there is that.

What you get together with the expansion:

- Full access to the Trading Post and Mail System.
- 3 characters slots.
- 2 bag slots to every character.
- Daily login bonus.

Everything else that the expansion limits are behind level gates or something else but can be done in the end.

This only applies to people upgrading from the free version. They cannot post on this forum unlike the OP, who clearly bought the base game at some point.

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

Now that HoT is actually out and everything, do I get absolutely anything extra from upgrading to HoT? The expansion comes with the entire original game, so will I really be paying $50 just for the expansion and nothing else if I’m upgrading?

you get HOT from upgrading to HOT, you will be paying the typical price for an expansion. How is this hard to understand?

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

Posted by: lagrangewei.8516

lagrangewei.8516

you get access to gliding!

RAWR~
Feed the Merlion… before the Merlion feed on YOU!

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

Posted by: Jayt.5690

Jayt.5690

I guess it seems like a dumb question in hindsight but i guess i was wondering the same when i first got expansion. I was wondering if by getting HoT i now get better graphics or hotbar functions or something that adds to base game features or UI

(edited by Jayt.5690)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I guess it seems like a dumb question in hindsight but i guess i was wondering the same when i first got expansion. I was wondering if by getting HoT i now get better graphics or hotbar functions or something that adds to base game features or UI

There’s a lot of stuff you get with HoT that adds to the base game like gliding. And elite specializations. And a new profession to play. Access to all the guild hall features, like the arena and guild buffs.

Even something as simple as being able to pick up loot without spamming F is something you can only get if you get the expansion. You don’t get it automatically, it’s a mastery you have to level, but it’s only available to people who buy the expansion.

Posted by: pickpocket.2071

pickpocket.2071

If I was you I would wait til it’s on sale for $10 or $20 hot was a massive disappointment for me, if you lik a lot of grind and no loot with no new armour than buy hot. Also be prepared for no new content til the next expansion, Because let’s be honest it’s been how many months since hot was released and still no living story 3. But don’t worry I’m sure it’ll be here promoted with the next expansion along with legendary weapons……..

Vayne.8563

If I was you I would wait til it’s on sale for $10 or $20 hot was a massive disappointment for me, if you lik a lot of grind and no loot with no new armour than buy hot. Also be prepared for no new content til the next expansion, Because let’s be honest it’s been how many months since hot was released and still no living story 3. But don’t worry I’m sure it’ll be here promoted with the next expansion along with legendary weapons……..

Unless you count raid wings and the PvP tournament, and gliding in central Tyria and the Shatterer redesign, and a patch coming out like in five days with changes to a bunch of stuff. And there are new armor sets, just not many. New weapon sets too. In fact, the expansion was a massive disappointment to some people and a lot of fun for other people. Plenty of people have said they think it’s worth their $50.

Also, the LS should be coming out after the third raid wing. The third raid wing comes out, if it follows the other raid wings, in June, which would mean July for the Living Story.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I’m not seeing a huge lot PvE wise after i upgraded tbh..

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

There was tons for PvE. New maps, new metas, new currency, masteries, elites, improved world bosses, gliding, guild halls.. how have you not seen all of that?

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

There was tons for PvE. New maps, new metas, new currency, masteries, elites, improved world bosses, gliding, guild halls.. how have you not seen all of that?

But just listing those doesn’t cover what some other threads have discussed suggesting they all still need a lot of work or in some cases entirely reworked.

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

I wasn’t trying to cover what other threads have discussed.
I don’t agree that they need lots of work or reworking either.
I was posting below Dante saying they hadn’t seen a huge lot PvE with a list of PvE changes.

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

You get new black lion skins and gliders every 4 weeks for 800 gems. Buy now, regret later

Posted by: Thamriyell.5490

Thamriyell.5490

You get new black lion skins and gliders every 4 weeks for 800 gems. Buy now, regret later

That made me chuckle a bit xD

Posted by: Thamriyell.5490

Thamriyell.5490

Unless you count raid wings and the PvP tournament, and gliding in central Tyria and the Shatterer redesign, and a patch coming out like in five days with changes to a bunch of stuff. And there are new armor sets, just not many. New weapon sets too. In fact, the expansion was a massive disappointment to some people and a lot of fun for other people. Plenty of people have said they think it’s worth their $50.

Also, the LS should be coming out after the third raid wing. The third raid wing comes out, if it follows the other raid wings, in June, which would mean July for the Living Story.

Nah just be safe and get it on sale for $10 or $20. If you like it, then you get even greater value for it for less, which is a win. If you don’t , well at least you saved $30-40 on it, which is in a way also a win.

If you want to spend more money to support ANet, you can always just use the $30-40 you saved to get gems or something

Vayne.8563

Nah just be safe and get it on sale for $10 or $20. If you like it, then you get even greater value for it for less, which is a win. If you don’t , well at least you saved $30-40 on it, which is in a way also a win.

If you want to spend more money to support ANet, you can always just use the $30-40 you saved to get gems or something

See to me it’s not safe. The funnest time to play any expansion to me is when it releases at the moment of release. That’s worth $20 to me easily.

It’s like watching a movie. I can see a movie when it’s free on TV with commercials if I want, but if I like a series, I want to see it sooner. The sooner you see it, the more you pay for it.

So if you play zillions of games, sure, you can wait, it’s no big deal. But if you like this game, sitting around for six months to a year without being able to play the new content is unnecessarily punishing.

Posted by: pickpocket.2071

pickpocket.2071

Moment of release is long gone so better to wait til it’s on sale don’t be full of regret like so many other suckers like myself who bought a 1/4 expansion

Vayne.8563

Moment of release is long gone so better to wait til it’s on sale don’t be full of regret like so many other suckers like myself who bought a 1/4 expansion

While it’s true that the moment of release is long gone, saying people who bought it full price are suckers is pretty silly. You don’t like it. Some people do like it. Some people like it a lot.

We’ve seen a dissatisfaction from certain areas of the playerbase, and quite a bit of satisfaction from other areas of the playerbase.

I’m somewhere in between, but more leaning to being satisfied, and I believe I’ll be even more satsified after Tuesday’s patch and again, when Living World Season 3 comes out.

Saying it’s a quarter expansion goes far beyond hyperbole.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I don’t recall my UI changing after buying HoT, so I think that’s still the same. The HoT maps have good graphics, but I think the entire game also does, so this didn’t hugely stand out to me as HoT-specific.