Use for HoT ascended crafting materials.

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: YooMan.9056

YooMan.9056

So i was thinking about what we can do with materials such as Ley Line Sparks, Airship Oil and Pile of Auric dust as you get insane amounts of those when you open chests on HoT maps. If you are not upgrading guild hall their only usage is to make fulgurite and i don’t think that you need a couple of stacks of those constantly(at least i don’t). That’s why this materials usually end up taking a lot of inventory space or just getting destroyed.

What if we were able to salvage them for 1-3 of currency of given map. For eg 1 Airship Oil for 1-3 Airship Parts and so on. Another option would be creating a gizmo like those from season 3 or Mawdrey II/Princess which would use these materials. What do you think about this?

P.S Sorry if topic like this was already created but i couldn’t find any on the forum.

Posted by: Fallesafe.5932

Fallesafe.5932

So i was thinking about what we can do with materials such as Ley Line Sparks, Airship Oil and Pile of Auric dust as you get insane amounts of those when you open chests on HoT maps. If you are not upgrading guild hall their only usage is to make fulgurite and i don’t think that you need a couple of stacks of those constantly(at least i don’t). That’s why this materials usually end up taking a lot of inventory space or just getting destroyed.

What if we were able to salvage them for 1-3 of currency of given map. For eg 1 Airship Oil for 1-3 Airship Parts and so on. Another option would be creating a gizmo like those from season 3 or Mawdrey II/Princess which would use these materials. What do you think about this?

P.S Sorry if topic like this was already created but i couldn’t find any on the forum.

Every game currency should be convertible to any other game currency — just like RL currency exchanges are a thing. I find it so absurd that I have hundreds of units of 12 seperate bizarre and obscure map currencies that I’ll NEVER have reason to spend…. But I can’t buy an Augur’s Stone because I don’t have enough spirit shards.

If I go to some wierd dungeon, out of boredom, and spend an hour running all the paths, then I’ve created an hours worth of VALUE through that play. Why shouldn’t it be convertible to something I can actually use?? This seems like a major no-brainer.

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

While I understand the sentiment that every playtime should reward one as flexible as possible in achieving their goal (which most commonly is gold). Making all currencies interchangable would add 1 new problem:

- currencies then need to be balanced against each other (will never happen because this would require massiv rework of game currency rewards accross all game areas)

or

- the exchange rates need to be balanced so that conversion does not benefit certain game modes

This is already happening with gold. Some gold farms are more efficient compared to others and yield a better result. Players gravitate to the most profitable farms or near most profitable for variation. The same would occure if currencies ingame are interchangable or exchangable with each other.

At the same time, a lot of value would get removed if some long time players were to exchange their near unlimited amounts of old currencies against new currencies and thus devalue any new addition of skins, items, achievements into the game.

Just look at karma. The conversion rate of karma to gold (one of the oldest 2 currency methods of exchange, usually from karma to gold) is so unprofitable that people rather sit on their karma. Basically this would have to be the state all currency exchange values would have to sit at to not negatively impact the game.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

going by this thread Ley Line Sparks, Airship Oil and Pile of Auric dust are currencies why arent they in the wallet?
Same with lw s3 stuff its already know that we can have an npc that exchange pristine fractal relics to normal so could have the same for these to unbound magic.

Posted by: Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Sparks/Dust/Oil are materials and not currencies, absolutely. So no Wallet for them.
I would be very happy for something to with them that
1) Does not require several/all three in equal amounts.
2) Does not require another account bound material.

Salvaging each map material into its map currency would be fan-frikkin-tastic! It wouldn’t really let you bypass playing a map except by extremely poor conversion rate (Ley-energy Matter Converter) but still offer something for all those extra material X you get more than materials Y and Z because you simply like one map more than the others!
It really would be enough to just get 1-2 currency from each mat.

Posted by: Quartz Warlock.1350

Quartz Warlock.1350

Good Opinions..

Posted by: joshftw.2103

joshftw.2103

that sounds like a good idea.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

For the OP: the best use of all those materials is create Fulgurite and use that to craft Jeweled patches or dowels. There’s a substantial premium for bejeweling ascended refined mats that works out to one of the easiest, quickest, and efficient karma-to-gold converters. (It’s less work and more gold than combining karmic-gloves and salvaging results.)

Every game currency should be convertible to any other game currency — just like RL currency exchanges are a thing.

Actually, they aren’t anything like RL currencies in that regard. There are gameplaying reasons ANet has created multiple currencies. If ANet wanted them convertible, they’d simply provide a vendor allowing us to use alternative currencies to buy the same sorts of things.

Instead, GW2 currencies (as well as those in other games) are here for a couple of reasons:

(1) To create an additional inventive for veterans to return to older maps.

I never have to return to Arah/dungeon or Orr/maps, because I have everything I need from them. I do need to return to each HoT map if I want Gen2 legendaries (and a variety of other items).

(2) To create an additional sense of progress that is undermined by easily-convertible currencies.

At launch, most things could be bought off the TP. This was great for people like me who want to do whatever we like then sell the loot we don’t need to buy the items we do (or those we simply want). It was terrible for people who wanted a sense that what we did mattered in terms of what we could acquire — not everyone thinks it’s ok for folks to just come in and buy stuff; some feel it devalues everyone’s efforts unless acquisition requires skill or commitment or a combination.

In short, the very existence of local currency in the game is the result of ANet already considering whether something should be easily traded or not. That’s why the ley-energy matter converter only allows us a single 25:10 conversion per currency per day.

I’m not a big fan of reason #2, because I feel it makes the game feel grindier (even though as a practical matter, it isn’t); I’d prefer more options to convert currencies (and various mats) to gold. However, I also recognize that isn’t better for game’s long-term health.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

These materials werent primarily introduced as loot (thats why they are account bound and not tradeable) but to make sure that you complete a certain amount of certain game content in order to achieve certain goals. Therefore they have a very specific function inside the game economy. Once you earned enough of these for your own needs, they completed their task and become more or less worthless.

Their acquisition methods and faucets werent designed to be interchangeable with tradeable loot (or currencies that can be exchanged for tradeable items).

Considering that you arent the only players that by now accumulated large piles of these materials, the chance of Anet giving them a worthwhile new faucet besides the intended one are pretty slim to none because it would mean that plenty of players that are hoarding these materials will suddenly be rewarded (in bulk) for past playing time, which would give veterans a large advantage over new players.

The only problem here seems to be your inability to delete stuff in your inventory that you dont need anymore because you feel entitled to gain value from it.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

You have to be careful what you wish for. You know why leather is currently so expensive? Because it used to be really cheap so Anet changed a bunch of recipes to require a lot more leather and now it can make you broke trying to craft.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol