Verdant Brink map estimate

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

See screenshot.

The white rectangle is my estimate on the size of the new map, based on the assumption that the name is in the exact centre.

I also edited in Dry Top and The Silverwastes for comparison.

Attachments:

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: JediYoda.1275

JediYoda.1275

Well I hope for a paid expansion we get more than one new zone!

“If only ANet had some kind of forum they could use to communicate with us……”
“ANet. They never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity to not mess up.”
Mod “Posts created to cause unrest with unfounded claims are not allowed” lmao

Danikat.8537

I’d be very surprised if we got just this one map.

I also got the impression that there was a layer of the map below what we could reach because if you jumped off the edge or glided down instead of the usual dropping and dying effect that happens in ‘bottomless’ areas you’d be told you were leaving the instance and would be kicked.

But that’s purely speculation, I couldn’t actually see anything down there in spite of trying in several locations.

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

They’ve talked about maps in the plural before. So… I’m guessing this is just one of them.

I am a little bothered by the level design though. I can understand the idea of increased ‘verticality’ but for what we’ve seen so far, it comes at the expense of a natural appearance to the environment – what we’ve seen so far feels like floating landforms atop unreasonably high cliffs.

I like what I’ve seen of the desert borderland (can’t wait to actually play through that one) and the multiple layers seen in the Silverwastes and as far back as southeast Kessex Hills. But Verdant Brink is coming a bit too close to a platformer aesthetic.

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

If that’s compared to dry top, doesn’t that mean the zone is pretty small? And didn’t they say the expansion only has 3 zones?

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Its smaller than core zones, but more focussed. Thats pretty much part of the course with mmos these days.

I dont recall them saying three zones, i think they avoided specific numbers. More that it was 3 biomes per zone. It could be three though…they were cagey on that question…

Danikat.8537

I thought they said the Heart of Maguuma (the whole area that’s being added, split into an unknown number of maps) has 3 layers – the canopy the ground and the underground.

But we don’t know how those are divided up, whether it’s 3 different maps that overlap, or are adjacent, or an unknown number of maps that each have 3 levels within them (kind of like the cities).

Posted by: I See No Tomorrow.7302

I See No Tomorrow.7302

We know that it’s more than three maps, and I’m pretty sure each map has three biomes. It’s an entire new Area, like Ascalon, or the Shiverpeaks, or Kryta. The Heart of Maguuma.
I’d guess 5-6 maps total? Most areas apart from the Maguuma Wastes have around that many maps (and the Maguuma Wastes is just two maps for the free living story).

Posted by: Red Queen.7915

Red Queen.7915

There are waypoint codes for outposts already in the game, and several times devs talked about new zoneS, so I’d guess we get more than one.
A comparable region, level-wise, would be Orr, which has three zones. I’d expect something along those lines, plus at least one town (probably the one where the Mursaat reside, possibly a second Grove). Either way, Silverwastes and Dry Top are already there, so in total, it would be a new region with five zones, three of which would be HoT exclusive.

PSA: The amount of small felines serves as an indicator for just how angry I am at something.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

Posted by: Thiagugu.9682

Thiagugu.9682

There is at the very least one more map. The Golden City that has been refered to in the Exalted (We all know who they are…) Lore Masteries.

“Don’t be discouraged, darling. You can’t help being inferior.”

Posted by: Carinae.9634

Carinae.9634

There were two extra expolrable areas in the beta. Iztel Grounds and something Crevices. I discovered them via the glider but could not enter them. Iztel grounds has a wp.

Ben K.6238

Three actually. Itzel Grounds, Creeping Crevasse and Shrouded Ruins. Looks like Dry Step Mesas are the (extremely) high grounds.

Attachments:

Posted by: Ravanus.2543

Ravanus.2543

There are waypoint codes for outposts already in the game, and several times devs talked about new zoneS, so I’d guess we get more than one.
A comparable region, level-wise, would be Orr, which has three zones. I’d expect something along those lines, plus at least one town (probably the one where the Mursaat reside, possibly a second Grove). Either way, Silverwastes and Dry Top are already there, so in total, it would be a new region with five zones, three of which would be HoT exclusive.

As far as I remember, the devs said something about 3-4 zones. Each zone will represent the level of the jungle, accordingly to the trees(sorry I don’t know proper english words for what I’m about to describe): the first one being the crown of the tree, with destroyed Pact fleet, the second one will be a little further down, with the main tree trunks, then there will be roots map and last but not least, the core of the Maguuma.

Or at least that is what I think I understood from one of the previews that Devs did.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

If that’s compared to dry top, doesn’t that mean the zone is pretty small? And didn’t they say the expansion only has 3 zones?

They said it will have 3 biomes, top, mid and bottom, not 3 zones. Each biome can have more than 1 zone.

Posted by: Loex.5104

Loex.5104

They said it will have 3 biomes, top, mid and bottom, not 3 zones. Each biome can have more than 1 zone.

actually its the other way round – each zone can/will have 3 biomes top, mid and bottom

and they clearly talked about zoneS – plural so i really doubt that it will be just that one zone.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I wonder what those new icons are. There is a yellow and white squarish icon with a gray stick like object on the right side and there is something that looks like a building and has a lock on it. Both of these icons are near the Itzel grounds waypoint.

Edit: one of them may be on icon for an Adventure event location.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Loex.5104

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

looks like the Ops prediction is accurate then

Posted by: ITheNormalPerson.9275

ITheNormalPerson.9275

based on them giving us drytop and silverwastes for free (in what seems like was a “test” for features in the xpac) i think it’s safe to assume we’re going to get a lot more than just this map split into 3 sections. (i’d say a LOT larger than just this map)

Maybe i’m just an optimist though

Druid main, 80 on all, Legendary ranked, Eternal and all that jazz (I go by Feyris in game)

phys.7689

based on them giving us drytop and silverwastes for free (in what seems like was a “test” for features in the xpac) i think it’s safe to assume we’re going to get a lot more than just this map split into 3 sections. (i’d say a LOT larger than just this map)

I say to this, dont get your hopes up. Until they say or show something that suggests more, i wouldnt expect much more. May only get this one map, with 3 levels. I mean, all they have really talked about is the 3 level map.

Just a flesh wound.3589

I say to this, dont get your hopes up. Until they say or show something that suggests more, i wouldnt expect much more. May only get this one map, with 3 levels. I mean, all they have really talked about is the 3 level map.

Multiple open world jungle maps made up of three distinct “biomes”
The core, the floor of the jungle itself
The roots of the jungle, that run deep beneath the jungle
The canopy, way up above, where the Pact fleet is scattered across the top of the jungle"

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_2:_Heart_of_Thorns#cite_note-ZAM-2

That’s maps, plural. So it’s not just this map, with each map having 3 layers plus the ability to glide through them so that the spaces in between the layers have use also.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

The canopy, way up above, where the Pact fleet is scattered across the top of the jungle"

That’s maps, plural. So it’s not just this map, with each map having 3 layers plus the ability to glide through them so that the spaces in between the layers have use also.

Since they say mapS, I’d say the bare minimum is 6 zones. 2 areas with 3 parts on different levels. Of course there can be more, in multiples of 3 most probably.

phys.7689

Since they say mapS, I’d say the bare minimum is 6 zones. 2 areas with 3 parts on different levels. Of course there can be more, in multiples of 3 most probably.

i dont think you should count the biomes as being equal or “zones”. Most likely some will have a lot of area that you cannot access. Think of like, divinities reach, or the sylvari town. But moreso.

eh time will tell regardless

Posted by: ITheNormalPerson.9275

ITheNormalPerson.9275

perhaps, but i’d rather be optimistic and looking forward to it now and go “oh darn, i guess it wasn’t ‘that’ great” rather than be mopey and depressing like half the people on the forums right now complaining about the lack of stuff in the xpac before we even get much information on it.

and personally, i’m not a big pve-er anyways. even if they give us 1 new map, 1 new pvp gamemode, 1 new wvw map, specializations, and masteries, i would be more than okay spending $40 on it (not saying that’s going to be the price. just a rough estimate). I’d pay $15-20 simply for specializations, depending on how cool they’ll be.

Druid main, 80 on all, Legendary ranked, Eternal and all that jazz (I go by Feyris in game)

phys.7689

perhaps, but i’d rather be optimistic and looking forward to it now and go “oh darn, i guess it wasn’t ‘that’ great” rather than be mopey and depressing like half the people on the forums right now complaining about the lack of stuff in the xpac before we even get much information on it.

and personally, i’m not a big pve-er anyways. even if they give us 1 new map, 1 new pvp gamemode, 1 new wvw map, specializations, and masteries, i would be more than okay spending $40 on it (not saying that’s going to be the price. just a rough estimate)

interesting perspective, many people would rather have measured expectations and be pleasantly surprised. Hmmmm interesting, so thats how an optimist looks at things. I tend to try to look at the most likely predictions based on what we currently know and observe, not being optimistic, or pessimistic.

a number of comments made by devs, and spokes persons put together, lead me to believe it will not be that large though.
im placing my bets on 3 maps 1 of which will probably be smaller, or non combat type.

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Three layers (“biomes”) to a zone.

So if the bird’s eye view of the map is the size of Dry Top, that should mean – hopefully, that it is three times the size of Dry Top (more or less).

The biomes are most likely comparable to The Grove, Rata Sum or The Silverwastes (with it’s jumping puzzle). The Silverwastes was even stated to be a test for the new maps, alongside Dry Top. So the three layers won’t cover the entire zone, more than likely, but a good portion of it. So I guess most likely each zone will be 2-2.5 times the size of its bird’s eye view.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

Posted by: Gaaroth.2567

Gaaroth.2567

This is a screen of verdant brink, with imho is just 1 of many maps. No way everything will be held in just one map. Count three layers…i can say i’m satisfied with volume.

Attachments:

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

(edited by Gaaroth.2567)

Posted by: Belenwyn.8674

Belenwyn.8674

Heart of Maguuma will consist of more than one map (each with 3 biomes). But it could be that not all maps will be available from the beginning.

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

I am a little bothered by the level design though. … what we’ve seen so far feels like floating landforms atop unreasonably high cliffs.

We’re playing in a world with talking rats and frogs where the main focus of the story are people who came from a giant tree, and you’re concerned that the environment we’re going into doesn’t make natural sense?

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

(edited by Andred.1087)

Ben K.6238

Because it’s not consistent with the rest of the environments in GW2. If the whole GW2 world ran with a surreal theme, it wouldn’t seem so out of place. Right now, though, you’ll be stepping out of the Silverwastes, which looks like a fairly reasonable network of arid canyons, into a place that looks like it has no ground. It doesn’t seem to fit.

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

Because it’s not consistent with the rest of the environments in GW2. If the whole GW2 world ran with a surreal theme, it wouldn’t seem so out of place. Right now, though, you’ll be stepping out of the Silverwastes, which looks like a fairly reasonable network of arid canyons, into a place that looks like it has no ground. It doesn’t seem to fit.

Vertical design is a lot harder to navigate based on the map, too. Think how many people have trouble getting places in Black Citadel. ANet seems to be going all out with platforming recently, and it’s kind of annoying.

Loex.5104

it was told that the void area is for the demo … there is something beneath so dont Panic … and obviously you never did the SW jumping puzzle?? it is VERY deep below the surface of SW so the Demo-Map perfectly fits into that theme – SW is not just the canyons

Posted by: Kaiden Valor.7163

Kaiden Valor.7163

I wonder what those new icons are. There is a yellow and white squarish icon with a gray stick like object on the right side and there is something that looks like a building and has a lock on it. Both of these icons are near the Itzel grounds waypoint.

During the stress test:
The dome building icon was for outposts which as we know are what events will generally revolve around. It seemed like these can be lost if events are ignored.
The ‘man with spear and yellow cape’ icon was for adventures
The ‘sun with white circle’ was mastery points.

Posted by: Kaiden Valor.7163

Kaiden Valor.7163

it was told that the void area is for the demo … there is something beneath so dont Panic … and obviously you never did the SW jumping puzzle?? it is VERY deep below the surface of SW so the Demo-Map perfectly fits into that theme – SW is not just the canyons

From what little we’ve seen so far the initial part of Verdant Brink seems to be working on the idea that you come in fairly high up on the map, so the sudden drops I would assume are there to reinforce the idea that you’re on a cliff edge.

Based on Anets description of the three levels, I would say this is the canopy level with pact ship wreckage and such. Assuming this map has the three levels.

Posted by: Bubi.7942

Bubi.7942

It’s gonna be 3 maps.

I would bet on it.

Posted by: Eirian Direstorm.9748

Eirian Direstorm.9748

The screenshots here show what look like three maps, but when I was in the test and looked at the map, there were also two level 80 areas to the right of the landing zone to which the test was confined. So it could be more.

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

The screenshots here show what look like three maps, but when I was in the test and looked at the map, there were also two level 80 areas to the right of the landing zone to which the test was confined. So it could be more.

You mean the Silverwastes and Dry Top?

Just a flesh wound.3589

During the stress test:
The dome building icon was for outposts which as we know are what events will generally revolve around. It seemed like these can be lost if events are ignored.
The ‘man with spear and yellow cape’ icon was for adventures
The ‘sun with white circle’ was mastery points.

Ah, Ty.

(And that’s a man with a cape and spear? Lol. It looked like a table with a cloth on it with a waiter standing by it to me, but I figured that had to be wrong).

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

It’s simple, Mordremoth is in Magus Falls, so we’re going to need enough zones to reach Magus Falls…just zoom out on your map and look at Magus Falls, that should give you an idea of the size of the expansion.

Posted by: Deniara Devious.3948

Deniara Devious.3948

I guess it is 3-6 maps plus maybe some other (not that important) extra zone. Each map will have more verticality than majority of the older maps. This might make the game developers argue “Look we are actually giving you 3 biomes, top, bottom, middle. 3×6 = 18 new maps”, but I hope they won’t use this argument as it would be a lie.

I hope I am proven wrong. The world map could easily fit much much more.

Deniara / Ayna – I want the original WvWvW maps back – Desolation [EU]

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

It’s simple, Mordremoth is in Magus Falls, so we’re going to need enough zones to reach Magus Falls…just zoom out on your map and look at Magus Falls, that should give you an idea of the size of the expansion.

Not necessarily. So far every feature they’ve described in detail has been qualified with:

" XXX feature will be started in the HoT expansion in small numbers but will be expanded in future content updates"

It would not surprise me if the Mordy fight/map was not introduced for 6-12 months after the expansion launch.

Posted by: Belenwyn.8674

Belenwyn.8674

Not necessarily. So far every feature they’ve described in detail has been qualified with:

" XXX feature will be started in the HoT expansion in small numbers but will be expanded in future content updates"

It would not surprise me if the Mordy fight/map was not introduced for 6-12 months after the expansion launch.

This is quite probable. HoT grants access to everything that will take place in Heart of Maguuma. There will be more maps, masteries and even specialisations coming after the initial release. So far it is not possible to estimate what the real volume of content will be unlocked by HoT.

Ben K.6238

I have a tendency to complete JPs on day 1 of release, including SW. It differs in that you can see the floor of it from the top, and the walls aren’t sheer.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

I’m hoping it is bigger than this. This seems like a small map to me, it’s a little bigger than Dry Top or the Silverwastes which in turn are about a quarter the size of Brisban Wildlands, with all three layers combined it’d be about the size of Brisban Wildlands.

If there are only a handful of few zones being added in this expansion (and there are) then they need to be larger than this, IMO.

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

It looked enormous in the beta. You could fall for 5-6 seconds and still not hit the ground

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

Posted by: steve.2945

steve.2945

also, what about the other half of orr, etc. pretty much the outer rim of world map has alot of potential space.

Proud TTS member