Warning - HoT removes Tyria Dailies

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Tatwi.3562

Tatwi.3562

I recently purchased the Heart of Thorns expansion and discovered that it has an important undocumented change – So important to my play style that I chose to have ArenaNet remove HoT from my account.

For some strange reason, it appears that ArenaNet chose to disable the dailies that take place in the orignal Tyria zones as part of the Heart of Thorns expansion. When you upgrade to HoT you’re straight up forced to never be able to do any of the original Tyria dailes ever again, even on low level characters that can’t even access HoT. You will always find HoT dailies in their place.

Daily gathering, world bosses, vistas, and jumping puzzles are impacted.

Personally, I am a casual player who really only logs in and does those Tyria dailes (I don’t play every day or even every month). I heald off buying HoT for the last year, because the style of the maps are not for me (timed event chains, jumping puzzle like layouts, gliding – frankly, they are the exact opposite of what like about GW2 and why I bought it back in 2012) and that’s most of the content of the expansion. But when HoT went on sale, I figured I could buy it and just ignore the new maps, while gaining access to the various other new game play systems that work in the original world. However I am sorry, I am not willing to throw away the Tyria dailies, because they are the foundation of why I play the game.

It makes me really sad that I had to choose between using the expansion I paid for (and can’t return to BestBuy for a refund) or continuing to do what I enjoy doing in the game, simply because someone at ArenaNet thought it would be a good idea to FORCE players to only do the HoT dailies; Just because YOU think something is cool or fun, doesn’t mean all of your paying customers will feel the same way, so always make your “cool stuff” optional to ensure you don’t alienate your happy customers.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

That’s not true. I still keep getting core Tyria dailies. Yes, HoT ones sometimes show up, but that’s by no means a usual occurence.

Core dailies are not replaced. Rather, the pool of dailies gets expanded by adding HoT ones to the list of possible choices. Still, there’s much more core than HoT ones in the pool.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Tatwi.3562

It is true. The HoT ones replace the Tyria ones. If it happens every time or simply more than never then it is still a punishment for purchasing the xpac that has a major negative impact on my play style.

Also, the wiki states several dailies aren’t available to HoT owners. So, yeah, it is true.

Posted by: onevstheworld.2419

onevstheworld.2419

Have you seen today’s dailies? There are no HoT zones.
Shiverpeaks lumberer
Maguuma waste vista
Field of Ruin Events
Under New Managment JP

Btw, where does the wiki say several dailies aren’t available? I can’t seem to find that quote.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You are mistaken. Though purchasing Heart of Thorns adds Heart of Maguuma Dailies to the mix, it absolutely does not remove any Core Tyria Dailies.

Also, if you have only low-level characters on a HoT account, you will only receive low-level Dailies in Core Tyria. That’s also indicated in the Wiki.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

I have a really casual friend in the same situation, except I keep preventing it by warning them. They want to buy HoT just for gliding, but the dailies that can be done in the lower level zones are really the only thing they do anymore. HoT should have added more dailies to the list (like festivals), not overridden them. Removing the original do whatever you want casual dailies was already quite a blow to them.

(edited by Healix.5819)

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

It is true. The HoT ones replace the Tyria ones. If it happens every time or simply more than never then it is still a punishment for purchasing the xpac that has a major negative impact on my play style.

Also, the wiki states several dailies aren’t available to HoT owners. So, yeah, it is true.

You are 100% incorrect on this matter. The HoT ones replace the core Tyria ones that show up on the tracker, but you can still complete the core Tyria ones if you want to.

Also, I have never ever had a set of dailies that were only for HoT maps. Never.

Wiki is edited by players, not by ANet. It is incorrect sometimes

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I own HoT. I have no dailies that can be done in HoT today. If you log in, you’ll see there are no HoT dailies today. Posting a public service announcement is well and good, assuming what you’re saying is correct. In this case, it isn’t.

Aside from the fact that for the last several weeks,. Wintersday dailies could be done every single day, including just opening 4 gifts and giving stuff to orphans on every day, today’s daily doesn’t include one single HoT daily.

Posted by: Chad.6104

Chad.6104

Today’s PvE dailies for accounts with level 80 chars (all accounts, both HoT owners and core only) are
1) shiverpeaks lumberer
2) maguuma wastes vista viewer
3) Fields of Ruins event completer
4) Under New Management jumping puzzle (in Southsun)

Source: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Daily

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Um, no it’s not a “punishment.” Lots of HoT owners said that they wanted more HoT in the rotation.

I’m a little surprised that you wanted HoT, but wouldn’t want to do dailies in the new zone, too. As it turns out, many of them can be done in the guild hall, so I find it largely a benefit rather than a burden.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

DISAMBIGUATION

CORRECT

• On any day when one or more Heart of Maguma tasks appears, one or more core tasks that would have appeared on a core-only account do(es) not appear.
  • Certain core tasks, most notably world boss kills, appear seldom or not at all once a HoT key is enabled.

INCORRECT

• Once HoT is enabled, all core tasks are disabled.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

I agree it is a negative. I usually login my non-hot alt account at rollover to get the login reward and often drool at the ease of what it has available vs what my main account has to do for the same reward. Not everything gets replaced but by adding hot zones to the list it does happen that they bump out something much easier (I think most people would rather do 4 wayfairer foothills events right before the shaman than 4 tangled depths events). Gathering is not hard (guild hall) nor vista (ember bay, go south from the main WP) but I hate racing to 4 random events with a passion.

Menadena.7482

The HoT ones replace the core Tyria ones that show up on the tracker, but you can still complete the core Tyria ones if you want to.

Survey says? Bzzt!

You used to be able to but they changed that a long time ago.

IndigoSundown.5419

The HoT ones replace the core Tyria ones that show up on the tracker, but you can still complete the core Tyria ones if you want to.

Survey says? Bzzt!

He’s (probably) saying that if you want to do events in core or whatever the task is, you’re free to if you cba to look it up — you just won’t be rewarded with credit for dailies.

Vayne.8563

There’s always PvP dailies which you can do in a daily room without PvPing, in addition to usually two easy dailies that anyone can do.

Astralporing.1957

Survey says? Bzzt!

He’s (probably) saying that if you want to do events in core or whatever the task is, you’re free to if you cba to look it up — you just won’t be rewarded with credit for dailies.

No. He meant that all the core dailies are still there. For example, there’s always one harvesting daily. Core has access to 18 of those (6 regions, 3 harvesting types each). HoT accounts do not replace those with 3 new ones, but rather expand that list to a total of 21 options (18 from core, 3 from hot). So, you have only 1 in 7 chance of seeing a HoT area harvest daily on a given day. The same goes for other daily slots – the new dailies do not replace old ones, they merely expand the number of options. It is a rare day when you get 2 out of 4 pve dailies that are not core, and it’s quite usual for all of them to be core.

As OriOri says, on a given day, a HoT daily can show up in a slot instead of a core one, but every single core daily is going to show up eventually.

So, to sum it up, the problem that OP is complaining about simply does not exist. It’s a complete fiction

Actions, not words.

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Menadena.7482

Survey says? Bzzt!

What is the point of completing dailies you will not get credit for?

Menadena.7482

So, to sum it up, the problem that OP is complaining about simply does not exist. It’s a complete fiction

It all depends on how you define it. Do you lose access to core dailies (albeit they will be on another day)? No. Can you get a HOT daily rather than a core daily? Yes.

I would rather not have hot dailies added to the list, tyvm. For me HOT is something that gives me access to the elites. I could give a toss about the new zones.

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

It all depends on how you define it. Do you lose access to core dailies (albeit they will be on another day)? No. Can you get a HOT daily rather than a core daily? Yes.

I would rather not have hot dailies added to the list, tyvm. For me HOT is something that gives me access to the elites. I could give a toss about the new zones.

You aren’t required to do any dailies period, much less HoT dailies. If you don’t want to do them, then simply don’t do them. Its not like the game doesn’t already give you plenty of options

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

I recently purchased the Heart of Thorns expansion and discovered that it has an important undocumented change – So important to my play style that I chose to have ArenaNet remove HoT from my account.

For some strange reason, it appears that ArenaNet chose to disable the dailies that take place in the orignal Tyria zones as part of the Heart of Thorns expansion.

Nope, not true.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

And that’s a completely unrelated issue than the one the OP is saying. OP is saying there’s a 0% chance of getting Core Tyria PvE Dailies once HoT is installed. Which is not true no matter how you define it. OP’s initial post may have been a bit exaggeration at first read, but his later posts agree with the first: that there’s no way to get Core Tyria dailies once HoT is installed.

It would be nice like how they have Guilds give an option for the Guild Missions between PvE, PvP, and WvW, that players with HoT could have an option to do have all Core (which would pull off the current list for players without HoT), all HoT (what the OP thinks happens), or both (which would be identical to how it is currently). With bonuses given to doing both.

Posted by: Tumult.2578

Tumult.2578

I have both types of accounts.
Since I installed HoT on one account, the three dailies are never the same.
Two are the same, but the last is always different because one takes place only in HoT and the other only in Core Tyria..

Posted by: VentiGlondi.9830

VentiGlondi.9830

I don’t know what this is all about. I frequently get core Tyria dailies.

On the other hand whenever a HoT daily appears, my friend, who doesn’t have HoT, has it replaced by a Tyria daily. Makes sense since he can’t access HoT zones.

Astralporing.1957

Two are the same, but the last is always different because one takes place only in HoT and the other only in Core Tyria..

Three? You’re supposed to get four. And i’m relatively sure HoT dailies are not supposed to show on “low level account” lists.
Also, there are definitely days when there are no HoT dailies whatsoever, even on HoT accounts.

Actions, not words.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Also, there are definitely days when there are no HoT dailies whatsoever, even on HoT accounts

Today being one of them

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

i think you should repurchase the expac also when you asked anet to remove hot from your acount did you mention the dailies ?

Tatwi.3562

DISAMBIGUATION

CORRECT

• On any day when one or more Heart of Maguma tasks appears, one or more core tasks that would have appeared on a core-only account do(es) not appear.
  • Certain core tasks, most notably world boss kills, appear seldom or not at all once a HoT key is enabled.

INCORRECT

Thank you for the handy summary. I should have done that myself.

The important thing (and the part that kittened me off, really) is that one can log into the game they paid for and find they simply can’t do what they want to do, because someone at the game company thought that would be cool. It’s really not.

Honestly it’s bad enough that the original dailies system was removed (because it was nice set of free-form goals that meshed perfectly with the open world / choose your own adventure design that made Guild Wars 2 unique in the MMO market), but to have the few dailies you want to do unavailable… it’s just annoying.

i think you should repurchase the expac also when you asked anet to remove hot from your acount did you mention the dailies ?

This is an important point:

1. I had a nice long exchange with an ArenaNet customer service rep regarding the issue. In fact, he told me to post here and I (reluctantly) did so (this forum is fairly toxic…).

2. ArenaNet support stated that they will add HoT back onto my account any time I would like, I just need to submit another ticket.

So, if you’re also not happy with HoT, it can be disabled on your account. You just go back to not having access to the HoT content. It’s quite a ham-fisted, all or nothing, way to set one’s preferences, but it works…

IndigoSundown.5419

DISAMBIGUATION

CORRECT

INCORRECT

Thank you for the handy summary. I should have done that myself.

The important thing (and the part that kittened me off, really) is that one can log into the game they paid for and find they simply can’t do what they want to do, because someone at the game company thought that would be cool. It’s really not.

More disambiguation. I am assuming that when Tatwi says, “Can’t do what he wants,” he means “can’t complete the daily by doing only core tasks on certain days.” There’s no need to bring up (again) the fact that he can go do things in core regardless.

Honestly it’s bad enough that the original dailies system was removed (because it was nice set of free-form goals that meshed perfectly with the open world / choose your own adventure design that made Guild Wars 2 unique in the MMO market), but to have the few dailies you want to do unavailable… it’s just annoying.

1. I had a nice long exchange with an ArenaNet customer service rep regarding the issue. In fact, he told me to post here and I (reluctantly) did so (this forum is fairly toxic…).

2. ArenaNet support stated that they will add HoT back onto my account any time I would like, I just need to submit another ticket.

So, if you’re also not happy with HoT, it can be disabled on your account. You just go back to not having access to the HoT content. It’s quite a ham-fisted, all or nothing, way to set one’s preferences, but it works…

I suspect that, rather than being ham-fisted, the all or nothing state of HoT permissions is that way because they did not anticipate a need for people to only select some permissions. I’m also not sure there is sufficient demand for ANet to put the resources into redesigning the permissions system away from an all-or-nothing one.

Posted by: onevstheworld.2419

onevstheworld.2419

That seems like a funny thing to ask of you. I don’t see how a forum could help you more than a CS rep would.

That’s interesting… I didn’t know Anet was able to do that. Did they need to do a rollback? Or were you able to keep any non-HoT progress you made in recent days/weeks?

Glad you got an acceptable outcome.

Posted by: Tumult.2578

Tumult.2578

Ok, yes, there are a few days where there is no HoT daily but they happen fairly rarely.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

And before HoT dailies were a thing, there were those of us that felt annoyed that we had to go back to CT to get any dailies done.

Being able to mix both is a compromise.

And I’m really not sure how it’s the game’s fault that the dailies for the expansion include content…. that’s in the expansion. Vanilla accounts don’t have HoT dailies for reasons of necessity— it’s not designed to cater to specific players. I mean it’s fine that you didn’t like HoT and all, but that’s not an issue with the daily system nor can you expect zero issues when you voluntarily exclude yourself from a huge chunk of content when the intent of dailies is for you to try a variety of content.

I say CS did a really good job accommodating for you.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I, personally, would not give up complete Auto-loot and Gliding and Living World and new maps, just to avoid seeing some Dailies on the list I could avoid (and sometimes do, when they rarely show up, lol).

But, everyone has their own desires, so….glad it worked out for you.

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

They could make it so which ever of the two daily you do cancel the other.

For example it is currently either Salvage Pit for people who own HoT and Fire Elemental for people who don’t.
If someone with HoT went to do Fire Elemental daily, the Salvage Pit daily would get disabled and, likewise, if they completed Salvage Pit, Fire Elemental daily would get disabled.

This way people could chose the one they prefer doing.

Posted by: Retsuko.2035

Retsuko.2035

Not sure what the fit is about. Dailies, core or HoT are incredibly easy to do, and you got PvP and WvW dailies as well…

If you have a level 80 character and still have trouble with your dailies, you might want to consider to stop playing the game if dailies in all game modes give you discomfort.

Retsu ~ Inner Monkey [IM] ~ Piken Square

Astralporing.1957

They could make it so which ever of the two daily you do cancel the other.

For example it is currently either Salvage Pit for people who own HoT and Fire Elemental for people who don’t.
If someone with HoT went to do Fire Elemental daily, the Salvage Pit daily would get disabled and, likewise, if they completed Salvage Pit, Fire Elemental daily would get disabled.

This way people could chose the one they prefer doing.

The best way (and one that was suggested several times already in few different threads) would be to simply make a separate HoT daily category.
Yes. That would mean PvE players would get twice as many dailies than WvW or sPvP ones, but WvW/sPvP dailies are far more generic in their nature and far more likely to just be done during normal gameplay without ever worrying about them, so that shouldn’t be a problem.

(Not that i expect for the current system to change, however. Those are simply my personal thoughts)

Actions, not words.

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

The only one I agree on is the daily world boss achievement. It almost never comes up since HoT came out. It use to be about every other day it would have you kill a specific world boss. I think the last daily world boss I saw was around November or December in 2016, and was the first in months. Usually it’s a jumping puzzle or adventure in a HoT map instead.

I do get daily gatherer and vista viewer for core Tyria quite frequently though. Much more often than HoT maps.

There’s something charming about rangers.

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

The only one I agree on is the daily world boss achievement. It almost never comes up since HoT came out. It use to be about every other day it would have you kill a specific world boss. I think the last daily world boss I saw was around November or December in 2016, and was the first in months. Usually it’s a jumping puzzle or adventure in a HoT map instead.

I do get daily gatherer and vista viewer for core Tyria quite frequently though. Much more often than HoT maps.

Edit: I forget to mention that daily event completer (for completing 4 events in a specific map) is usually a core Tyria map, and rarely a HoT map.

January 14, 2017 (after daily reset) I have 3 PvE dailies for core Tyria, and the unfortunate HoT adventure which is the only HoT daily that comes up on a regular basis. (It’s Tendril Torchers. I spent over an hour 1 day on it and could never get anything better than silver once or twice. I might not have been able to get silver at all, no matter how hard I tried. It’s been a while since I last tried and I can’t be bothered with it ever again.)

Quite honestly, I can’t stand HoT adventures due to how difficult and annoying they are.

Pro tip: for daily gatherer in HoT maps, just go to your guild hall and gather from the nodes there if your guild has them unlocked. Guild halls count as a HoT map, much like home instance nodes will count for their regions (such as the charr home instance counting for daily Ascalon gathering, if you have nodes unlocked).

Attachments:

There’s something charming about rangers.

(edited by Charrbeque.8729)

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

You only need bronze to get the daily.

There’s really only 2 types of HoT dailies that should be trouble. Adventures, especially if it’s in a zone you haven’t reached and event completer which while really isn’t a problem for HoT maps, I guess DS/TD ones could really be frustrating. Gatherer can basically be done on the front door to VB and Vista viewer a bit to the north to Jaka Itzel WP.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Captain Dark One.8690

Captain Dark One.8690

Well dont forget that arenanet update always remove things from the game.

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

Tldr; it doesn’t remove Tyria dailies. It just adds HoT dailies to the list

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

Well dont forget that arenanet update always remove things from the game.

…this isn’t even remotely true, but I do wonder: if you really believe that, why on earth would you continue to play the game? It seems like that would just be inflicting disappointment after crushing blow after pain in the neck on yourself, which doesn’t really seem like a good idea.

There are plenty of other fish in the MMO seas, and some of them might have update policies other than “remove things”, no? You might well enjoy one or more of them better!

Menadena.7482

Not sure what the fit is about. Dailies, core or HoT are incredibly easy to do, and you got PvP and WvW dailies as well…

If you have a level 80 character and still have trouble with your dailies, you might want to consider to stop playing the game if dailies in all game modes give you discomfort.

It is the kittening ‘do 4 events in whatever zone’ because it is really ‘run to 4 dynamic events in a zone and tag it in the milliseconds before it ends’. There are some exceptions where there is a boss (and pres) at/soon after reset in some zones or a high event density. I highly doubt anyone doing pve-only is having trouble with gathering and a region-wide vista (mystic forge is free money and activity is basically just ‘kitten, it will take me a few minutes’).

Menadena.7482

I forgot to add that I do not even try to do adventures for dailies. They take up WAY to much time so realistically there are only 3 PVE dailies. Since there is also other stuff I want to do in the next 24 hours the daily achievement in GW2 usually falls to the bottom of the list unless I see an immediate path to completing it quickly.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

It takes me only a few minutes, usually 5 – 10, at most, to do the Event Dailies with a Stabilizer. You might consider looking into acquiring one. Plus, all those nifty Map Rewards. =)

Good luck.

Vayne.8563

It is the kittening ‘do 4 events in whatever zone’ because it is really ‘run to 4 dynamic events in a zone and tag it in the milliseconds before it ends’. There are some exceptions where there is a boss (and pres) at/soon after reset in some zones or a high event density. I highly doubt anyone doing pve-only is having trouble with gathering and a region-wide vista (mystic forge is free money and activity is basically just ‘kitten, it will take me a few minutes’).

I’m not a PvPer. I almost never do event dailies, and I get my daily every single day and I can’t remember when it’s taken me more than 15 minutes.

There are daily “PvP” rooms set up that are cooperative. It takes minutes to get 1-2 dailies in those rooms every day, even though no PvP at all is occuring. On days when there’s big spender, I spend 25 badges of honor in the guild hall, most of which have come from achievement point chests to get that daily. And on daily ruin days in WvW, it’s as simple as going and capping a point with a bunch of other people also doing it. I don’t engage in fighting other players, I get my daily in minutes. On jumping puzzle daily days, I can get a portal if I don’t feel like doing the jumping puzzle. They’re always around.

And on top of that, there are festivals. There’s always at least one easy festival daily you can do. Right now, to light 5 fireworks in DR it takes 2 minutes. That means you don’t have to do the event daily if you don’t want.

But if you did want to do the event daily a lot of it is about knowing the zones and the event chains anyway. Just as boss events with pre-events make it easy, every event chain has long enough event chains to make it easy. You just need to know the zones.

Posted by: killermanjaro.5670

killermanjaro.5670

What? It doesn’t remove Tyria dailies or “Force” you to do any HoT stuff at all. It adds some HoT ones but doesn’t replace them, in fact 80% of the time my dailies are always still Tyria based anyway. I’ve never ever had a set of dailies that is purely HoT only.

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

For example, there’s always one harvesting daily. Core has access to 18 of those (6 regions, 3 harvesting types each). HoT accounts do not replace those with 3 new ones, but rather expand that list to a total of 21 options (18 from core, 3 from hot).

I’m pretty sure this is false. The HoT ones replace the corresponding Tyrian ones. If you’re playing without HoT enabled, you’ll still see four; the Tyrian one that was “covered up” by the HoT one.

This has to be true, otherwise people who don’t have HoT would be missing a daily.

However, what is not known is how often the HoT option(s) are chosen. But, when one is chosen, it replaces the Tyrian one (for HoT owners).

What they SHOULD have done is add a fifth daily option, but only allow us to fulfill 4 of them (for rewards). The fifth option could be HoT plus other content, like Wastes and Season 3, perhaps.

Daddicus.6128

Your copy of the game is buggy. There are four dailies (in PvE). Every day (except during festivals, when there are more).

Daddicus.6128

The best way (and one that was suggested several times already in few different threads) would be to simply make a separate HoT daily category.

This is a really good idea; much better than mine above.

Daddicus.6128

…, I guess DS/TD ones could really be frustrating.

You have that right! I can tolerate VD and mildly tolerate AB. But, I’ll never go back to TD or DS. The ONLY reason to go for me would be to complete the final boss. But, getting there (on any character) is just to darned hard.

To me, TD and DS are very good reasons for splitting out all of the HoT dailies from the other PvE dailies. They make some days almost unattainable, except for experts. And, at my age, I don’t have enough time or the physical capability of going back there.