We took a week off of elite specs for what?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: webtoehobbit.4201

webtoehobbit.4201

I am sincerely confused, what exactly is the great news this week? More boring WvW changes? Lions Arch stuff that is gonna happen PRIOR to HoT (so technically not something new about HoT at all)?

Clearly they took a week off cause the other elite specs aren’t ready to show yet, but once again, would’ve been nice if they had just been up front with us about that instead of lying to us.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

We have known since the week of the Chronomancer reveal that there would only be three specialization weeks in the first set. This is not something that we learned last Friday.

Just because YOU don’t care about WvW doesn’t mean that no one else does. The same line could be added to basically every single week:
“Meh, only boring [insert subject here]”.

The changes are big in terms of WvW, and WvW is one of the three main game modes.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

webtoehobbit.4201

Well the longer they prolong the reveal of all elite specs then longer it is till release, so I think that more people are interested in elite specs than WvW at the moment.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

LA! You know, like when we did Pavilion 2.0 a year ago and donated gold to hobo-tron for the rebuilding of LA and it’s now been under construction longer than it hasn’t for the lifespan of the game? Now, it’s in a secondary phase of rebuilding and it will be fixed in a few months.

Maybe.

Even though they already said it was being rebuilt a year ago in Pavilion 2.0. Now, it’s got new buildings in the process of being built and those will be there for a few months. Then it will be fully rebuilt after that.

ArenaNet: Instead of doing map work on maps that already exist: Can we please get new maps with stuff to do in them? Thanks.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

Well the longer they prolong the reveal of all elite specs then longer it is till release, so I think that more people are interested in elite specs than WvW at the moment.

You really think that HoT release is tied to elite specialization announcement?

What is the difference of announcing all the 9 elites and then get like 5 more weeks to release or have those same 5 weeks spread among the elite announcements?

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

We have known since the week of the Chronomancer reveal that there would only be three specialization weeks in the first set. This is not something that we learned last Friday.

Just because YOU don’t care about WvW doesn’t mean that no one else does. The same line could be added to basically every single week:
“Meh, only boring [insert subject here]”.

The changes are big in terms of WvW, and WvW is one of the three main game modes.

Thank you Lordkrall! No im serious thank you! Just like with those posts about the frogs and such, i loved those! I could care less about WVW but ya know what, people play WVW and im sure those who did are thankful for some attention.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

You have this backwards. HoT is not sitting on their servers ready for release once they finish getting through the elite specs; they are still working on it and however fast they reveal the elite specs doesn’t actually have an effect on when the game is released.

However, you are correct that more people are interested in the elite specs because it effects literally everyone level 80, but WvW is still an important part of the game that, arguably, doesn’t get the attention it needs already.

Posted by: cocowoushi.7150

cocowoushi.7150

Obviously Anet has an idea of a time frame they want/can release and have such planned these weekly reveals with that in mind. To think we are getting HoT immediately after they blast through 9 weeks of specs is being VERY optimistic. HoT will take longer than that, so they are pacing their information.

Not all the specs are ready; that much is clear when they had a PowerPoint for Engi’s core traits.

webtoehobbit.4201

I’m just tired of ANet’s imaginary hype. If there is nothing “big” for the following week, then be up front with us. But Rubi said there was something really special. Stop trying to hype something that isn’t there. We are all tired of it, stop treating us like kids.

Belzebu.3912

I’m just tired of ANet’s imaginary hype. If there is nothing “big” for the following week, then be up front with us. But Rubi said there was something really special. Stop trying to hype something that isn’t there. We are all tired of it, stop treating us like kids.

Again, not special for YOU.
Just because ANet is hyping a game type that you aren’t interested doesn’t mean they shouldn’t do it.

lordkrall.7241

But it is big.
The rebuilt Lion’s Arch is special stuff.

And the WvW changes are big, no matter how much you hate it.

Why should they stop treating people like kinds when people clearly behave like kids?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Dante.1763

No, you didnt get what you wanted this week. Again im sure the WVW community is loving the attention, finally. The Lions unveiling was very important and huge too, players have been wondering when it was going to be fixed forever and now its going to be. Just because you didnt like it doesnt mean it wasnt big or important. It was. To other players.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

webtoehobbit.4201

I play with a community that, if they announced that guild halls were being cut from the xpac, would just sit there and eat it up.

Posted by: DarkOcean.8746

DarkOcean.8746

I agree with this sentiment. It’s nice they threw WvW a bone, but I do not think these changes are “big” at all. As a casual WvW player, all I see these to be are a few quality of life changes, nothing revolutionary. Blobs of meat and vegetables will still wage battle against other blobs of meat and vegetables.

A specialization reveal is big news. It affects everyone that plays this game. In depth information on Guild Halls is kind of a big deal. Beta schedules are a slight deal, but a bigger deal than these WvW changes. Release date for HoT is a big deal. These WvW changes are just a regular blog post. All of this is my opinion, of course (as it should go without saying, but some people feel inclined to quote and say “IN YOUR OPINION” if one does not proclaim that their own opinion is indeed their opinion).

Belzebu.3912

I agree that specialization reveal is bigger than WvW changes, but it doesn’t make WvW changes not special.

Posted by: DarkOcean.8746

DarkOcean.8746

I agree that specialization reveal is bigger than WvW changes, but it doesn’t make WvW changes not special.

Then we must delve into deciphering the meaning of “special”.
And by we, I mean a task I shall let others quarrel over.

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

No matter what they announced some people would be upset. Rubi could have been referring to any of the three things we got this week.

We got news about LA, that’s fun, and even if it’s just a poll I enjoy them asking for our thoughts. The in-game reason for everything being fixed in one patch was also cute.

We also got news about WvW which is gonna be a great QoL update, get people used to how the new borderlands will work (yak’s and sentries for example), and also test the new system before the new borderlands go live. And you really can’t complain too much about the proposed features. Who knows, we may also get news of another Tourney, now that the PvP one is over. Or, as I’ve seen suggested a few times, weekly gains for those WvW tickets based on rank.

The third thing is the new Ready Up version of PvP 101, or at least that’s how I’m going to remember it.

Plus, Ready Up is the competitive side of the gw streams, I don’t know what people were expecting. Personally I thought it’d be about the WvW beta, cost/pre-order dates, or another Stronghold beta/release ahead of HoT. Plus everyone likes different things; despite the fanatical posts I see people wanting GvG, I could not care less about it, nor do any of my friends/guildmates.

Posted by: Sylent.3165

Sylent.3165

Your acting very spoiled. They truly don’t have to show us or tell us anything at all.

Me personally I really want to see wvw changes and care about lions arch being rebuilt and seeing the changes. Just because you don’t like something doesn’t mean others don’t.

Posted by: ReaverKane.7598

ReaverKane.7598

Your acting very spoiled. They truly don’t have to show us or tell us anything at all.

Me personally I really want to see wvw changes and care about lions arch being rebuilt and seeing the changes. Just because you don’t like something doesn’t mean others don’t.

Obviously you didn’t get the point. On Last weeks POI show it was said that something “extra-special” therefore interpreted as more impactful than a specialization reveal would happen.
And what we get is news that LA will be revamped (I wonder if Arenanet was thinking that any one thought it was going to stay destroyed for ever? God that was a weird sentence…), lukewarm changes to WvW (albeit really great, my first complain on WvW back on week 2 of the game was that we were spending, what at the time was PLENTY of money (50s could get you 100 gems) to improve our objectives only for in most cases it being captured overnight because people from Overseas were playing on EU servers (was free to change). Nice to see it finally being addressed, but still its nothing THAT major. I mean most people were thinking on the terms of Beta dates, or Guild Halls, stuff like that. Not what we got.
It WAS entirely underwhelming given the wording that was used. Rubi could have simply said " next week we’re taking a break from specs and letting you in on other aspects of the expansion". Would be true, would still keep us interested, and wouldn’t feel like Anet is putting way too much effort in over-hyping the game to make up for these months without nothing much to do (last year we at least had the WvW tournament to keep us invested).

Posted by: JoshuaRAWR.4653

JoshuaRAWR.4653

Have to agree somewhat, i wouldn’t really call the WvW changes “special” it’s just watering down content that’s already lackluster as it is.

When i see the word “special” i’m expecting something we haven’t already seen yet, maybe some info about this ‘challenging group content’, but instead, we’re being shown features that are actually being REMOVED.

The problem is how Anet are hyping up these things, they’re overhyping the mediocre content inclusions/changes and putting barely anything behind the information most of us really want to know.

Things that should be overhyped are things like specializations and traits, as these will affect how we play the game.
Lions arch being rebuilt isn’t going to change how i play the game, it’s just going to be a quick 5-10 minutes of “oh wow, that’s cool.”

Warrior 80 | Guardian 80 | Ranger 80 | Engineer 80 |
Thief 80 | Elementalist 80 | Mesmer 80 | Necromancer 80 | Revenant TBA

(edited by JoshuaRAWR.4653)

lordkrall.7241

She NEVER said special.
The exact statement she made was: “Next week we have something extra cool to reveal”.

People always complain about ArenaNet hyping up stuff, but they always use statements that ArenaNet themselves have never actually used to described the upcoming things.
In 99,9% of the cases it is people on the forums and on reddit that overhype stuff and then they blame ArenaNet for it.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Kaiden Valor.7163

Kaiden Valor.7163

She NEVER said special.
The exact statement she made was: “Next week we have something extra cool to reveal”.

People always complain about ArenaNet hyping up stuff, but they always use statements that ArenaNet themselves have never actually used to described the upcoming things.
In 99,9% of the cases it is people on the forums and on reddit that overhype stuff and then they blame ArenaNet for it.

Indeed!

And I think when you look at what they’ve announced this week it would meet the description she gave:

1. Lion’s Arch news + community vote on naming areas.
2. WvWvW update details.
3. Dragonhunter demo in Ready Up using builds theorycrafted by the players (https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/this-week-on-the-ready-up-livestream-wvw-automatic-upgrades-and-dragonhunter-pvp-demo/)

If nothing else that last one is cool and they’ve said they’ll be doing it in future Ready Ups so I’d imagine they’ll cover the other elite specs.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I continue to be rather disappointed in today’s blogs. I am admittedly not a WvWer even though I’ve had a few fun times doing it.

I do feel the LA stuff is special, and big, and fun. I spent hours on Tuesday running around to see the changes. But Rubi said there was something cool coming that needed a whole stream, so she wasn’t referring to LA. The stream is going to be about WvW and Dragonhunter SPvP. Are the changes of interest? Sure. Are they likely to change the core play of WvW? Maybe, I never learned the strategy enough to form an opinion on whether they will have such an impact. Are they so impactful as to weigh as strongly as a specialization? Not in my view. They seem more a refinement than anything.

If this had been the new borderlands in depth, sure — but we already got that.

Normally I’m on the rah-rah-this-is-cool team, or at least feel they’re giving us fun reveals even when they aren’t in my area of interest. Heck, I read and watched a ton about Stronghold, yet my one and only Stronghold match was literally my first SPvP match ever and I’ve played since head start. This week … this week the hype happened for me, I was sure it was going to be really big, something to top the LA reveal. There is even an NPC in LA talking about a guild-related structure, so it seemed a fine week to tell us plans for guild halls. So yeah, I’m disappointed it’s a WvW keep upgrade tweak.

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

What does the WvW changes have to do with HoT?

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Nothing as far as I can tell, but apparently we are supposed to be thrilled that Anet has graced us with the knowledge of minor mechanics changes.

lordkrall.7241

The fact that it is launching with HoT?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

I don’t even need a preview of specs so I didn’t notice. Or maybe it’s because I just woke up. One of the two.

As for hype – if it doesn’t concern live music then its pointless. Don’t fall for it!

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: MauricioCezar.2673

MauricioCezar.2673

They’ve said 3 weeks of specializations, we got 3 weeks.

They are not obligated to have everything ready just because you want to know. Probably we’ll have another 2 weeks brakefrom specializations until they get more ready. I am betting into 2 weeks brake, then 3 weeks of specializations, then another break, and at last the 3 last specializations.

Of course, as sooner the better

Posted by: Roe.3679

Roe.3679

Is this another week where everyone judges all the changes without seeing them?

Belzebu.3912

Is this another week where everyone judges all the changes without seeing them?

Like all weeks will be until HoT launch

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

I would really appreciate it when the LA map would be returned to the same or better glory…

I just hope we can visit the bunkers, the aeroport and the other new structures and defences. so it will be more then just eye-candy.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: jmt.8517

jmt.8517

She NEVER said special.

I agree, but. She said " extra cool" both those are hype words! So not our fault, her fault. Stupid buzz words!

Posted by: Automaton.4926

Automaton.4926

If you don’t want to be treated like a kid DON’T ACT LIKE ONE! You actually get hurt over someone in a game company saying something “big” is being shown in a weeks time and when it isn’t what you want to hear you go to the forums and cry? That is really pathetic.

I love the new change and I’m not stupid enough to think the expansion is set back a week because they didn’t mention an elite spec.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

If people would stop acting like kids, maybe they’d stop being treated that way.

Let’s talk about this “hype”. How many Anet employees said this? How many times was it mentioned?

Maybe to Ruby the rebuilding of LA is a huge thing. I know it is to Gaile. Gaile has a deep connection to LA. She used to run conga lines through the old LA back in the day in Guild Wars 1. I understand she was quite upset when it was destroyed.

So one person says one thing because they feel it and now this is like some kind of heavy-handed hyping.

Most of the type when Anet is accused of hyping something, it’s because one person said one thing somewhere. No one would survive in the real world if people treated what they said this way.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I would really appreciate it when the LA map would be returned to the same or better glory…

I just hope we can visit the bunkers, the aeroport and the other new structures and defences. so it will be more then just eye-candy.

My computer tends to load things slower than they should, so when my character appeared at one of the new structures, the gate was ‘missing’. I tried to walk in, but of course, could not. I’m sure that gate will be able to be opened in the future. =)

Good luck.

lordkrall.7241

I agree, but. She said " extra cool" both those are hype words! So not our fault, her fault. Stupid buzz words!

But it is extra cool.
The WvW changes are rather massive for WvW. And the rebuild (and complete change of) Lion’s Arch is also very cool.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Vissarion.6509

Vissarion.6509

I guess Rubi was talking about LA rebuild, the thing is that its not a big thing because its not rebuild yet, its just an announcement that it will be rebuild in the future…

They called us TEMPESTs, but we can use our elite to cheat death instead

Dante.1763

I guess Rubi was talking about LA rebuild, the thing is that its not a big thing because its not rebuild yet, its just an announcement that it will be rebuild in the future…

Depends on who you talk to. Its big to me. Just like Gaile i spent a lot of time in the Lions Arch in GW1 and even though i wasnt here for two of its three destructions i was more than upset about the latest one. So yes, its a big thing to me, and seeing the scaffolding and such already set up is cool to me too.

Posted by: Sekhmet.6153

Sekhmet.6153

If people would stop acting like kids, maybe they’d stop being treated that way.

Let’s talk about this “hype”. How many Anet employees said this? How many times was it mentioned?

Maybe to Ruby the rebuilding of LA is a huge thing. I know it is to Gaile. Gaile has a deep connection to LA. She used to run conga lines through the old LA back in the day in Guild Wars 1. I understand she was quite upset when it was destroyed.

So one person says one thing because they feel it and now this is like some kind of heavy-handed hyping.

Most of the type when Anet is accused of hyping something, it’s because one person said one thing somewhere. No one would survive in the real world if people treated what they said this way.

People stop acting like kids?

Okay, now I have a problem. And its not just you, but I wanted to quote this to highlight my point.

I really wish gamers would start acting like consumers and voting and speaking with their wallet instead of acting like junkies looking to score their next fix and taking what they’re given because we should “just be grateful we get it at all”. While in this case Anet doesn’t have to release any information, fans of GW2 don’t have to find that to be a good way of doing business. Anet doesn’t need to show us anything about HoT, and fans don’t need to give them praise or say they’re doing a good job.

While the issue with WvW stuff and LA being released this week instead of specs isn’t that big of a deal, I can understand if people are frustrated because this has been a running theme from Anet since the official reveal of HoT months ago. If you decide to tell fans you will be releasing information and will tell them about stuff as the weeks pass by, they’re going to expect some of it and so far the information hasn’t quite matched up to what many people expected. That doesn’t make them kids for thinking that.

Companies need criticism otherwise they will never really know what people want at all. I’m growing tired of so many people feeling they need to defend a company at all costs from any criticism they read as if their fragile egos will break and they’ll stop production. Everyone at Anet is getting paid. Getting paid to work on a video game at that. Our money is the only praise they really need. Add on to us being fans and telling them they do a good job at times is a bonus. But they also need to know when they are alienating a part of a fan base, or going back on their word about something, or making a mistake etc.

This mindset that we should all just be grateful for whatever we get is why gamers are rarely going to be given the best product someone could give us because they aren’t held to that standard anymore. If you buy a car and it dies on you under 100,000 miles, many people will hold that company accountable by either complaining, not buying the same one again or avoiding the company altogether. If a game isn’t quite what you expected, you shouldn’t necessarily feel the need to just shrug it off and throw more money at them to fix the problem.

Posted by: Solori.6025

Solori.6025

Why shouldn’t people hear about game modes they enjoy?
Is it really that bad for people that enjoy WvW to also have some information about the game mode they enjoy?
I agree with Vayne, stop acting like a child because you didn’t get what you wanted on a silver plate.
It’s funny that people call the pvp community toxic and then turn around and cry bloody murder when they don’t get what they want.

The world needs more KUNG FURY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

To be honest I think a fair number of GW2 player are in fact kids. I think you meant to say unreasonable or irrational.

Posted by: Belenwyn.8674

Belenwyn.8674

They reveal something “extra cool” which can fill a whole Ready Up episode according to Rubi. We will maybe see victoriffic Tirzah playing her guardian as Dragonhunter.

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

I could care less about WVW

couldn’t*

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

I am sincerely confused, what exactly is the great news this week? More boring WvW changes? Lions Arch stuff that is gonna happen PRIOR to HoT (so technically not something new about HoT at all)?

Clearly they took a week off cause the other elite specs aren’t ready to show yet, but once again, would’ve been nice if they had just been up front with us about that instead of lying to us.

They didn’t lie, and since they have had a change of heart communicating to the players how about we not bash them for it.

“That was actually me. I sign my posts with RB. Rubi signs her posts with RB2.
What you asked was whether the Lion’s Arch info was the reason there was no specs reveal. To pit these two pieces of information against each other misunderstands the game development process and the fact that we have different teams working on different features. The folks working on Lion’s Arch are not the same people we have working on profession specializations. As I said on Facebook: we release information when we’re ready to do so. If we haven’t revealed something, it’s because we’re not ready yet.”

Posted in these forums and FB.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/This-week-s-special-surprise/page/2

JQ Druid

(edited by Wetpaw.3487)

Dante.1763

couldn’t*

Honestly cant tell what the point of that was.

Posted by: jmt.8517

jmt.8517

What twitch did I just watch? Weak!!

Posted by: CorrynnStarr.7942

CorrynnStarr.7942

Posted by: Kentaine.4692

Kentaine.4692

couldn’t*

Honestly cant tell what the point of that was.

Saying ‘could’ care less means that you care, but have the capacity to care less, ’couldn’t’ care less means you’ve bottomed out with interests and have no lower to go.

I couldn’t care less about Beta announcements, honestly I was expecting something that the general population would be interested in and not just those who spent days and days farming for a precursor… I mean Beta portal drop…. in Silverwaste. (Should have just done the random e-mail thing like most Beta’s I’ve ever heard of.)

So, basically we took a week off of Elite Specs to learn about something that really means very little to the general playerbase since many didn’t try for a portal, many more weren’t lucky enough to get a portal, and only a select few actually got into it. On top of that, even if I had gotten a portal from casual play, it would be wasted on me because the 6 hours of playing don’t really mesh with my typical schedule in the middle of a work week. So…

Most people didn’t really try for a portal (I gave it 2-4 hours the first day, not a single drop posted in SW in that time).
Many who tried, did not get a pass (hence the postings of ’I’ve been farming in SW for x hours and not a single portal while blahblah’s gotten 2-3, accounts must have rigged chances’).
Some who got a pass won’t be able to fit it into their schedule (especially the lucky casuals who didn’t really care to get a pass but were in SW for after-work stress relief, hopefully).

But that’s how all Betas go anyway, it just is usually under the radar since the testers are randomly, and discreetly, chosen through e-mail lottery instead of in game grinding.

Posted by: Puls.5867

Puls.5867

to be honest i was very disappointed. after thinking "ooo something really exciting for us this week? can’t wait!" then having a short stream with no real new information just some dwagon hwuntwer footage and basically info read from the news page... was kind of bad to be honest but hey ho beggars cant be choosers from now on if i hear "exciting announcement coming" i just wont get hyped

Tsento – Mesmer | Timcarnate – Revenant | Timigami – Necromancer

lordkrall.7241

How is the information about the changes to WPs and the structure of the new upgrades (and their times) “no real new information”?

You might not care about it, but that doesn’t mean it is not information.

People also need to stop attributing words to ArenaNet that they have never said.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square