What HoT feels like on GW2 forums...

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Cadaveris.8153

Cadaveris.8153

I payed my hard earned money for (HoT)/(cheeseburger).
I (played it some)(chewed it up), enjoyed some of it, but am not satisfied.
I can’t (raid)(eat pickles), because (my class isn’t meta atm)(I don’t wanna).
So after consuming the product, I have come to the conclusion it wasn’t 100% my favorite thing, so give me refund (Anet)(Burger place).

Posted by: Leohart.4610

Leohart.4610

It’s a war zone in Magus Falls. It’s a war zone on the forums.

Posted by: DaikonSamurai.6714

DaikonSamurai.6714

Yeah it’s like Anet(Courage) making HoT(Mac and Cheese) for customers(Li’l Muriel).

Too much macaroni!

“More challenge!” “Too much challenge!” “More heals!” “Heals too strong!” “More expansion less LW!” “Yay expansion!” splat “We hate expansions… When’s LW?”

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

You ate your burger, did not ask for refund while eating it. Came back months later and said I want a refund for this burger I ate a long time ago. There could be some company in the world that would do such a thing, incredibly hard to find one still in business after a year though.

Posted by: msalakka.4653

msalakka.4653

I don’t take posts demanding refunds seriously.

However I think the posts complaining about the content delivered with HoT are perfectly reasonable.

I ordered a bacon burger, Arenanet delivered tuna.

Gutter Rat [cry] | Gandara | Roaming nuisance
~ There is no balance team. ~

Posted by: Rhyav.4812

Rhyav.4812

At least we know that the next LW or expansion will be the Crystal Desert!
This much sand has to be used for something, right?

Posted by: FogLeg.9354

FogLeg.9354

The people who liked GW2 were expecting more of same kind of content. And HoT is really not same thing at all, so players complain.

Not sure what this thread is about. If you have customers who are not satisfied with your product or service, they can ask for refund. Is this really such a surprise for you?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

The people who liked GW2 were expecting more of same kind of content. And HoT is really not same thing at all, so players complain.

Not sure what this thread is about. If you have customers who are not satisfied with your product or service, they can ask for refund. Is this really such a surprise for you?

While there are differences between HoT and core Guild Wars 2, there are also many similarities too.

I mean VB is very similar in many ways to SW, which was popular content. The collections were already there and some of them were quite grindy themselves. All the world bosses were on timers.

This was simply the evolution of the game. It was the end game content that many people complained didn’t exist. Is it really that different?

I don’t particularly find it so.

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

I play and like GW2, have since beta over 3 years ago and I was defiantly NOT expecting “more of the same content”. Why not? Because they told us it would be harder, they told us it would be levels of terrain to glide and fall off of. They even let us play in parts of the first map. Did they tell us everything? No but then neither does any other MMO that I know of, and honestly I would not want to know every little detail as then it would be boring to play.

Posted by: Akijo.7395

Akijo.7395

I ordered a bacon burger, Arenanet delivered tuna.

I’d be freakin happy to get a tuna, tuna is expansive and really good fish! Plus you can make sushi with tuna!
sushi > burger.

Posted by: Simzani.4318

Simzani.4318

It’s always sad to see scammed people defend the scam. Arenanet announced raids, there isn’t even an entire one, just a wing. Arenanet announced a region, they offered 4 mini-maps. Arenanet announced legendaries, since 2013, they offered near to none and a legendary grind instead of a journey. Arenanet announced a revamp of fractals, they offered no new fractals. Arenanet announced a new borderland map, they offered a pve map. Arenanet announced an expansion, they offered a dlc priced as an expansion.

Posted by: qbalrog.8017

qbalrog.8017

Most customers are not going to ask for a refund. They will, however, start going to different restaurants. In the game world, there’s lots of other stuff out there for those who no longer find GW2 fun. I think the complaining comes from the fact players used to really like the old “menu” and are sad they have to find a new restaurant aka game.

I left because I no longer enjoyed logging in. Obviously many do not have this problem with HoT. But I won’t be back until most of the content gates are gone because those mostly exist to force me to repeat content or wait around doing nothing for long periods of time. I’ve got enough arbitrary gates and waiting around in the “real world” part of my life. Why would I ever want to do that in a game?

Posted by: BellatorDeus.2310

BellatorDeus.2310

I think the 3D (vertical) aspect is the future of MMOs. And HoT has that in spades. That is a revolutionary advance over the traditional MMO 2D model.

Posted by: FogLeg.9354

FogLeg.9354

3D itself is not better of worse compared to 2D. For example 3D combat is more difficult to manage because humans don’t fly around normally in real life. If you remember early GW2 experiments with underwater battles you should be able to understand why they were removed from the game.

In general 3D maps are more difficult to travel and people tend to get lost more easily. So they are more difficult to design. Developers need more time and more money to create them and to test them. The HoT maps are very badly designed, its not just only because they are 3D but they are just bad. They are boring and confusing and have no real logic in them. It does not help that half the content is always gated behind some silly mastery (that you never know you need to advance) or simply time. So much effort has been put into those maps to make sure players can not play there when and how they want.

The artificial gates are just some of worst examples of map design which all basically waste players time. It is not fun spending half an hour running around the map trying to get into point next to your starting spot only to realise the path is blocked by group of champs that only appear every other friday if you have increased your cheeseburger mastery to level 75. Not only is that really stupid but the game also fails to mention any of these blocks and gates in any way, nono, you have to search for them around the web, use the browser to find specific websites that tell you correct times and required masteries. Again, the game designed to make sure players dont play it.

The only real reason to play the games is to have fun. And playing in HoT maps is not fun. Its a struggle. Its like work. Hard work. Demanding work that can be done only at specific hours and if you dare to leave early you wont get payed. Fighting monsters there is not fun, they are annoying, they waste your time and they never even drop anything worth to pick up. Exploring is not fun because you run into those annoyig monsters and then you get lost and then some timer runs out. Gathering materials? Nop. Monsters, lost, gates. Every single thing you normally do in main Tyria area turns into horrible waste of time.

Only few years back everyone was barking around about 3D movies and TVs. Turned out, 3D content is really expensive and really difficult to create properly. So after banging about it few years it was dumped. Now its the VR. Everyone look at the VR!!! Its magic! It will change everything! No, it wont. There will be bucketload of really bad VR stuff, people will try it once and then dump it too. Game maps that spread in 3 directions, sounds great too. I hope to see one good 3D map in some day, probably in very distant future, but there surely aint any in HoT.

Posted by: Fenris Amarok.4052

Fenris Amarok.4052

Wow, that was one hell of a subjective opinion fogleg. I personally found the maps to be very well designed. The closest example you can come to bad design is tangled depths. Tangled. Depths. There’s a hint to what the map would be like, and it’s in the name. They told us they were giving us a jungle. In MY opinion, I think they delivered exactly that. I didn’t want just another flat central tyrian map.

Gates? Sorry you couldn’t explore everything in the first few hours of play. Sorry you had to put in a little work. And in no place whatsoever were you required to have a super high mastery rank, except in ley line gliding. Gliding. In currents of magic. It’s pretty kitten reasonable for this ONE thing to be high up.

Again, fun is highly subjective. I had a lot of fun, so did all my friends, and so did thousands upon thousands of players that don’t come on here to complain about something they didn’t design and had all the information they needed to make an informed purchase.

What do you mean you can’t gather materials? Cause you can’t take a hit in your berserker’s armor? If you want to talk about the sheer amount of flax needed for things, fine, but that’s not what you’re arguing.

Tl;dr FogLeg is the spokesperson for the guild wars 2 playerbase and whose opinion is the one, true way.

(edited by Fenris Amarok.4052)

Posted by: pepsis.5384

pepsis.5384

I think the 3D (vertical) aspect is the future of MMOs. And HoT has that in spades. That is a revolutionary advance over the traditional MMO 2D model.

Well now, platforming, the thing you call revolutionary I call annoying. Not to mention in City of Heroes we could fly, teleport and super jump – much more “3D” than GW2 will ever be.

(edited by pepsis.5384)

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

I payed my hard earned money for (HoT)/(cheeseburger).
I (played it some)(chewed it up), enjoyed some of it, but am not satisfied.
I can’t (raid)(eat pickles), because (my class isn’t meta atm)(I don’t wanna).
So after consuming the product, I have come to the conclusion it wasn’t 100% my favorite thing, so give me refund (Anet)(Burger place).

Seriously, reverse this post.

I demand a refund for my cheeseburger, because Anet apparently give refund for HOT.

Do you know how silly this analogy is?

The two topic isn’t even related.

Posted by: lynspottery.6529

lynspottery.6529

I have to thank everyone who posted humorous posts in this thread. I read all of it and actually got a great laugh out of all the funny comments provided.

As for how I feel about HoT?

Well, after taking my time to learn some of the masteries (with the help of my guild on many of them), I take a small bite here and there, using all the great options like bouncing mushrooms, gliding and catching updrafts…even using stealth gliding (love this feature). I especially like being able to use the Nuhoch Wallows for travel……at least you are stealthed when you arrive at your destination.

As for the maps, I think they are fairly nicely done. I am not a fan of constant battles and wish there were more “gaps” between mobs that nail you to the ground and don’t let go until you are dead. Its rare I can actually break free from those freaky debilitating dazes even with my various break-free skills which don’t work on the chain link effects of some mobs.

But I have learned how to slink around some of these better than before and, in the process, found some amazing hidden areas that are just breathtaking. Thank you Anet for gliding…I rarely die from my missed jumps and slips off the side of things.

I finally finished my advanced gliding and now I am in the process of training my ley line gliding. I am not the best player, but I am stubborn and will attempt things over again several times to learn the pattern of them in order to achieve success. That is how I see a lot of stuff I encounter.

I’ve yet to try my hand at the side adventures. My guild is slowly working through the entire series of maps to help folks learn the different mechanics and succeed as a group in order to earn the masteries and Hero Points.

(edited by lynspottery.6529)

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

Yeah it’s like Anet(Courage) making HoT(Mac and Cheese) for customers(Li’l Muriel).

Too much macaroni!

“More challenge!” “Too much challenge!” “More heals!” “Heals too strong!” “More expansion less LW!” “Yay expansion!” splat “We hate expansions… When’s LW?”

This is accurate.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I ordered a Pizza before that was supposed to be delicious but it was cooked poorly so they gave me another Pizza for free that was better. :o

Does that mean next Xpan will be free?

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

(edited by Doggie.3184)

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Well now, platforming, the thing you call revolutionary I call annoying. Not to mention in City of Heroes we could fly, teleport and super jump – much more “3D” than GW2 will ever be.

And the CoH developers learned a few important lessons about 3D movement that I wish the GW2 devs had known. The HoT zones remind me of Grandville or old Faultline on a speedster, downright frustrating to navigate at times. The Shadow Shard did the 3D zones where you advance into enemy territory better, and the “Death Incarnate” storyline from the revamped Dark Astoria is everything the HoT storyline is trying to be.

It makes me wonder what other games the people in charge at ANet played before working on GW2. What other games have they learned from, and what ones did they miss out on (and will likely repeat the mistakes of)?

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.