What do I Tell Friends Interested in GW2?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Kury.8210

Kury.8210

Thanks for all the help. My question’s been answered, but if you got a response to what’s already out there be my guest.

Imagine my surprise when several friends of mine, all big fans of MMORPGs, told me they’d never heard of GW2. They saw this cool game I was playing and the more they saw the more they loved it.

I’m very glad I found a bunch of people I might be able to play my favorite game with, but now I got a problem. Should I warn them all to wait till after HoT comes out to buy the game? Or is it possible to pre-purchase and use the core game from the pre-purchase early?

Also, could ya’ll consider advertising a tad more? Seriously, I went to a youth group of sorts with a good number of guys who consider themselves gamers. Only two out of the 15 or so people who came up to me asked if that was Guild Wars I was playing. The rest thought it looked like WoW, but better.

Edit: Fixed pre-purchase/pre-order mixup.

(edited by Kury.8210)

Posted by: Krysard.1364

Krysard.1364

Its is possible to pre-order and use te core-game, yep

M I L K B O I S

Posted by: Valmir.4590

Valmir.4590

You should tell them to wait for Expansion 2. They’ll be able to buy only it and get the core game and HoT for free.

Posted by: Balsa.3951

Balsa.3951

amazing deal for new player core game 50 Dollar plus expansion for free

(edited by Balsa.3951)

Posted by: uriel.2597

uriel.2597

Tell them to wait for a sale. The pricing right now is not exactly efficient for the buyer.

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

You can tell them that the current expansion offer is a good value for beginners but that the company is nothing special anymore and it will price gouge them like all others do.
Once they have you.

Polish > hype

Kury.8210

Not sure if my question was understood. I’m asking if they can use the core game “that comes with the pre-order” right now. This is actually not related to the whole debate going on right now. I’m just trying to find out how the pre-order works. (Though pretty certain I’ll just be telling everyone to wait for now.)

Posted by: Brimstar.9036

Brimstar.9036

Not sure if my question was understood. I’m asking if they can use the core game “that comes with the pre-order” right now. This is actually not related to the whole debate going on right now. I’m just trying to find out how the pre-order works. (Though pretty certain I’ll just be telling everyone to wait for now.)

Yes, they can play base game immediately.

Posted by: Vicariuz.1605

Vicariuz.1605

You should tell them to wait for Expansion 2. They’ll be able to buy only it and get the core game and HoT for free.

This

Also, it is NOT a pre-order which you can turn in if you do not like that game for your money back, it is a PRE-PURCHASE which is not refundable.

Kury.8210

Oh… Well, heck. That’s actually pretty cool.

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

Tell them not to bother for ten years till the final expansion, then you get everything else free.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Posted by: D best.3547

D best.3547

tell them to preorder HoT and then they get the whole game free with the preorder. Anyone who already owns the game however should not preorder HoT.

Sea of Sorrows
Champion Paragon

Posted by: Vicariuz.1605

Vicariuz.1605

tell them to preorder HoT and then they get the whole game free with the preorder. Anyone who already owns the game however should not preorder HoT.

You mean pre-PURCHASE, not pre-order. sry had to address that because it is indeed a very critical thing.

Posted by: Quells.2498

Quells.2498

Pre-purchase and join the most handsome players in all the world. Some of us are even polite and helpful.

Leader of Contre [VS], just a bunch of zen adults
focus on Dungeons, Fractals and Raiding.

Posted by: D best.3547

D best.3547

You mean pre-PURCHASE, not pre-order. sry had to address that because it is indeed a very critical thing.

yes sorry english is my second language I am not sure of the difference. Also is sry a developer? i havent seen his name.

Sea of Sorrows
Champion Paragon

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Pre-purchase and join the most handsome players in all the world. Some of us are even polite and helpful.

Wait. Handsome…polite…AND helpful?

Be still my beating heart.

Posted by: Quells.2498

Quells.2498

Disclaimer: I may not be all three of these things at any given time.

There, I’m covered.

Leader of Contre [VS], just a bunch of zen adults
focus on Dungeons, Fractals and Raiding.

Kury.8210

Yeah, noted that pre-purchase/pre-order thing. For anyone not sure of the difference, pre-ordering reserves the right to buy the game when it comes out for a small fee. Don’t have to worry about a store running out of stock before you get a shot at buying it when the game finally hits stores.

Pre-purchasing is outright buying the game early. Pay now, get it later. That’s why I was asking if you could use the core game it comes with immediately as opposed to waiting. I realize I mixed up the two in my first post, so I’ll edit it to avoid confusion.

Handsome/polite: Airhead, but means well.
Polite/helpful: Must be ugly as heck. No photos please.
Handsome/helpful: Typical elitist snob. What evil power had to give them both talent and good looks??

Posted by: T raw.4658

T raw.4658

Tell them to never play

Posted by: Daxxter.8920

Daxxter.8920

Tell them to wait a couple of years and buy the Complete or Platinum version containing the core game and all the expansion for 50$.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I would be honest with them about what I liked and what I disliked. I would try to find out what they look for in this kind of game, and then advise whether I think this game would give them what they want.

(edited by IndigoSundown.5419)

Posted by: ShadowCatz.8437

ShadowCatz.8437

People here have already made you aware that there is a difference between doing a pre-order (which you might be able to cancel and get your money back), in this cases you should recommend your friends to buy this game directly from Anet (to be sure that the only responsible for purchase will be Anet; there probably plenty of sites with stolen/fake game code right now).

If they bought game from Anet then there will be a purchase of HoT and today HoT are still only in is in beta stage which means that there is no warrant for how this extended part of GW2 will become or how well it will run (both from how mega server will handle this kind of load and users own computer [the client]).

That is why Anet now call it “Pre-purchase” in that way it is not a completely “ready” game where all content are in place yet and it might even happen that your will experience some more problems with disconnects, unstable frame rates or other problem which isn’t funny to deal with when one want only to play the game. For a pre-purchase you will get access to beta HoT with GW2 as the main story (both personal story and living story – here I am not sure if you would need to buy the rest of season 1 or 2 to get all back ground for HoT; had to buy myself a large part of Season 2 through Gem store), the final version when it is ready for publish (and at same time be able to play through your char up to lvl 80 and beyond (the new mastery system)). That is why you will have GW2 core game for “free” as A) you need it to build your char B) HoT is not designed on a new game engine, but a development on top of Guild Wars 2 with added maps and content aka an expansion which need core game to be able to run.

Right now I would make your friend aware that even with GW2 (standard) you will give you access part of those updates which will be in HoT, as Anet need to test everything with all player online and new player should do better to wait a bit until there is more information about how HoT actually will work.

Beta testing is one thing, but playing a game and have odd behaviour like get stuck in environment (which could even happen in “old” GW2), might get annoying and if you would lose your char for some reason or have more serious problems with this expansion, Anet could just blame it (HoT) on being a part of GW2 which is in beta stage right now. There is no final date for when this expansion will be considered RTM (final version – which doesn’t excludes updates in between).

(edited by ShadowCatz.8437)

Posted by: Daxxter.8920

Daxxter.8920

People here have already made you aware that there is a difference between doing a pre-order (which you might be able to cancel and get your money back), in this cases you should recommend your friends to buy this game directly from Anet (to be sure that the only responsible for purchase will be Anet; there probably plenty of sites with stolen/fake game code right now).

If they bought game from Anet then there will be a purchase of HoT and today HoT are still only in is in beta stage which means that there is no warrant for how this extended part of GW2 will become or how well it will run (both from how mega server will handle this kind of load and users own computer [the client]).

That is why Anet now call it “Pre-purchase” in that way it is not a completely “ready” game where all content are in place yet and it might even happen that your will experience some more problems with disconnects, unstable frame rates or other problem which isn’t funny to deal with when one want only to play the game. For a pre-purchase you will get access to beta HoT with GW2 as the main story (both personal story and living story – here I am not sure if you would need to buy the rest of season 1 or 2 to get all back ground for HoT; had to buy myself a large part of Season 2 through Gem store), the final version when it is ready for publish (and at same time be able to play through your char up to lvl 80 and beyond (the new mastery system)). That is why you will have GW2 core game for “free” as A) you need it to build your char HoT is not designed on a new game engine, but a development on top of Guild Wars 2 with added maps and content aka an expansion which need core game to be able to run.

Right now I would make your friend aware that even with GW2 (standard) you will give you access part of those updates which will be in HoT, as Anet need to test everything with all player online and new player should do better to wait a bit until there is more information about how HoT actually will work.

Beta testing is one thing, but playing a game and have odd behaviour like get stuck in environment (which could even happen in “old” GW2), might get annoying and if you would lose your char for some reason or have more serious problems with this expansion, Anet could just blame it (HoT) on being a part of GW2 which is in beta stage right now. There is no final date for when this expansion will be considered RTM (final version – which doesn’t excludes updates in between).

Sorry but there is a big difference between Pre-Purchase and Early Access…

Pre-Purchase means when it comes out you will get the full thing.

Early Access means you get access to a game still being developed

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

In your friends’ place i’d wait till christmas sales. The pricing on HoT seems a bit high at the moment, and it’s not like the expansion will be out before that anyway.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Alexxander.8306

Alexxander.8306

I’d say, as of today, to try Black Desert Online and if its p2w then get HoT on G2A or Christmas sale.

Posted by: Tirien.1326

Tirien.1326

Tell them not to bother for ten years till the final expansion, then you get everything else free.

Hahaha!

Posted by: Getefix.9150

Getefix.9150

yes sorry english is my second language I am not sure of the difference. Also is sry a developer? i havent seen his name.

sry is short for sorry, he was apologising for feeling the need to correct you

“Nothing is true, Everything is permitted”

Kiel Replacement Movement

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Buy it, the current deal is excellent for new players and players who didn’t/couldn’t support GW2 financially. If they want a good deal on the next expansion they should completely avoid buying gems with cash as well.