What do we know about the hang gliding?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: MoJoe.9063

MoJoe.9063

I require all available information on the subject. Flying mounts were my favorite part of WoW during my brief tenure with that game, and I know that gliders are not exactly the same thing. But I love the idea behind it and honestly it’s one of the things I’m most looking forward to in HoT.

Borlis Pass
Azman – Asura Necromancer, Kemena – Human Guardian
Emracool – Sylvari Elementalist, Lyra Lightbender – Sylvari Mesmer

Posted by: Myrden.2456

Myrden.2456

When I played it during the stress test, gliding was a little buggy, but the gist of it was there. Here’s what I know from first-hand experience of it (albeit a small one):

- Gliding is learned by placing a point in the gliding mastery line
- Mastery points are earned by certain events, vista-type objects, and other goals
- Gliding wings are automatic once you learn the gliding mastery
- Gliding works by jumping off high cliffs and hitting the space bar
- There is a slight delay in glider deployment…roughly about 2 seconds, but mastery points can be spent to decrease the time
- Gliding will not work (at least right away) outside of the new zones
- There is a gliding bar that slowly lessens the longer you are gliding. That bar can increase with more mastery points spent
- Gliding is more fun than I expected
- You can control the direction, but not the speed

Does this help? Do you have any specific questions?

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

What about the trees?

The table is a fable.

Myrden.2456

If you can pass through them on foot in the game you can pass through in the air.

Posted by: MoJoe.9063

MoJoe.9063

This is all good to know, thanks! It’s a little disappointing that we won’t be able to use the gilding in existing zones but hopefully that will be added before too long. I was also kind of hoping the gliding would be infinite until you hit the ground, but I guess that could cause balance issues.

Borlis Pass
Azman – Asura Necromancer, Kemena – Human Guardian
Emracool – Sylvari Elementalist, Lyra Lightbender – Sylvari Mesmer

Myrden.2456

The Devs have hinted ambiguously at gliding in other zones being available at a later date, but I wouldn’t hold my breath. That’s a lot of coding changes. Also, I should note that gliders only go down (unless you hit an updraft). You can’t use them to go up or horizontal, and they can only be deployed from drops that are of a certain height.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

If you can pass through them on foot in the game you can pass through in the air.

Well, I seem to be the only one who feels this way, but to me, that’s disappointing.

The sort of trees one tends to find in most terrestrial jungles tend to ‘branch out’ at the tops. While one might be able to walk between the boles, barring any heavy undergrowth, of course, moving easily through the branches would be an entirely different matter.

Sure, this is fantasy ‘gliding’ in a fantasy ‘jungle’. But all fantasy, all the time gets old. A little touch of ‘reality’ here and there can make the fantastic even more so. Ah, well. I guess it doesn’t matter. Here’s hoping someday we’ll go kayaking in the sands of the Crystal Desert.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Eggs.3142

Eggs.3142

The Devs have hinted ambiguously at gliding in other zones being available at a later date, but I wouldn’t hold my breath. That’s a lot of coding changes. Also, I should note that gliders only go down (unless you hit an updraft). You can’t use them to go up or horizontal, and they can only be deployed from drops that are of a certain height.

I would also say that a lot of places would need to be rebuilt so that gliding did not undo the places original challenge, specifically where not falling is the difficulty, like some JPs

Posted by: Aralicia.6157

Aralicia.6157

I would also say that a lot of places would need to be rebuilt so that gliding did not undo the places original challenge, specifically where not falling is the difficulty, like some JPs

For some of the places (like Goemm’s Lab), we could have “High wind/Turbulence” areas that forbid glider usage, while others (like Griffonrook Run) can generate an automatic failure if the glider is opened.

But yes a lot of puzzle/vista would need to be reworked if the devs allow gliders in the vanilla maps.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

The whole maps would have to be reworked from the ground up. There are false fronts, floating things that look solidly placed from the angles we can get to, map edges, etc. A dev has outright stated that gliding in Pact Tyria would “break the map.”

It’s not happening short of something akin to WoW’s Cataclysm (WoW had the same issues in the vanilla maps).

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

on dulfy you can see the latest datamined infos about the gliding masteries

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside