What's Wrong with Raising the Level Cap?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Lydah.5296

Lydah.5296

I’m a relatively new player (purchased 10ish months ago) but I hear a lot of word on the street that anet has a thing against raising the level cap in the game beyond 80

but who here is actually against the idea? would anyone rather take the current mastery system over reaching a new level cap?

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t /hate/ the mastery system. I can acknowledge that it’s not perfect, but it gives me some sense of progression in the new expansion. If there was nothing here at all, I can guarantee everyone would be complaining just a week or two in that the expansion didn’t have enough to do in it.

But i have to say, in my eyes, I’d feel less like i’m mindlessly grinding if there was more useful things to work toward in events than just experience.

No new level cap means we’re not getting stronger in battle, many of us are still using the highest tier of gear, and that makes the events feel a lot like experience grinds. Fun the first time, since they’re new and interesting, but beyond that they have very little to offer.

The loot bags are basically salvage piles full of vendor trash and maybe some new skins or crafting materials that we’re not already swimming in. they’re not exciting, and often just a pain to dig through. That leads to the only reward being the experience, which is not easily filled, especially as you get later into the mastery system.

I’d say it’d be at least a little more exciting to be opening gear bags with a decent chance of upgrades (level 81 to level whatever weapons and armor), but at the moment it feels like its just the same old salvage junk in a different bag, with a few new crafting mats in between.

I’m curious to see what’s on your minds though, is anyone feeling the same way?

Posted by: legenduu.4372

legenduu.4372

level cap would completely screw the economy

“Thief is a balanced class” – Anet

Posted by: smekras.8203

smekras.8203

Beyond my inner OCD voice going “make it an even 100” I vastly prefer the mastery approach to progress past 80. I can’t think of a single benefit to additional levels instead of masteries.

Server: Kaineng | Guild: Blackflame Legion [BFL]
Perhaps the only RP-oriented guild on the server
Main Character: Farathnor (sylvari ranger) 1 of 22

Posted by: Chickenooble.5014

Chickenooble.5014

I’ve played in high-level raiding guilds with other MMOs and I normally hated level caps or new tiers of gear. Both erased months (or years) of effort on any of my characters and made them irrelevant. To get each of my characters competitive for setting server-firsts I had to invest more time than I wanted to, ultimately leading to burn out and uninstallation.

I didn’t feel that anxiety with the approach of this expansion and I don’t feel that dread after playing it. I’m still playing my level 80 classes and they’re still as fun and challenged by the new (and old) content. I don’t have to spend weeks getting them leveled or geared for new zones.

And I kinda like grinding bars. Guess that’s why my mesmer looks like a stripper.

Posted by: Neox.3497

Neox.3497

The fear of losing progression.

Your ascended/legendary equipment would be “useless” and all your farm be wasted. However I think a upgrade system would have totally worked by adding a partial cost of the new equipment.

A very simple example:

Cost of a new level 90 ascended weapon: 250 of mat 1, 2 and 3 and 200 gold.
Cost to upgrade a level 80 ascended weapon to level 90: 25 of mat 1, 2 and 3 and 20 gold.

This essentially give new players a better change on “catching” up without making veterans feeling they get ripped off.

(edited by Neox.3497)

Lydah.5296

How so?

Posted by: NumenorLord.6539

NumenorLord.6539

New level cap means new tier for gear. Gear that players have worked hard to get (Dungeons, FotM, Laurels, Guild Commendations, etc.) would become useless. An expansion has to be about content, not about grinding again to get BiS gear. I’m so glad level cap is not increased.

Posted by: Chickenooble.5014

Chickenooble.5014

How so?

Inflation. It would make things even more expensive than they already are and the hill to purchase would be even steeper for new player.

Posted by: PurpleHelmet.9328

PurpleHelmet.9328

Because level cap makes all previous gear, content, effort irrelevant.

I think Anet has done an amazing job with HoT. They have essentially implemented an entire new set of rewards and leveling system that gates the new story, without negating all our previous hard work.

Its actually genius.

The time it takes to get the Elite Spec is negotiable, but honestly, 20 hours for the entire new game worth of grinding?

Lydah.5296

guess i’m a minority here lmao, good to see your explanations though. I stopped at exotic before making new characters and didn’t do man fractals and preferred spending all my laurels on dyes and pets, so I haven’t made it to the point you guys did as far as gearing up.

I did play a lot of WoW in the past before moving on to this game and always looked forward to new expansions and new level caps, but even then I didn’t tend to make it past the first tier of raids, never been one of those players with the BiS gear, so I don’t quite understand the feeling on a personal level, but I could see why you guys would be against the idea.