What to do in the meantime.

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Squee.7829

Squee.7829

Since we still don’t have a release date on this thing (Unless I’m missing something that should be incredibly obvious on the website), I have no idea if this thing is coming out next week or next year. I really doubt it’s the former. But the point of this is, will there be any meaningful updates between now and then? I mean, aside from some nice things in the gem store that add about 30 seconds of “oh neat, that’s a pretty gold pig” (which I’m appreciative of), will there be anything new to do? Because I can only take SIlverwastes about 15-16 more times before I start headbutting my desk. I know most of this is because I have a VERY boring desk job, so I end up playing this game way more than any normal person should, but even so, at a casual game rate, I can see people getting a little tire of the same content before launch, if it ends up being one of those “Its ready when it’s ready” for 4 years type deals.

Leader and sole member of the “Bring Penguins to Tyria” movement.

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

You know you are free to play different games and come back when the expansion hits right?

Furthermore, there will be (non-living world) updates between now and HoT. They will focus on things like features (1st person view, new streaming client), balance updates and bug fixes (such as the stability change) and things like that. Otherwise I don’t think we’re getting much.

Posted by: JoshuaRAWR.4653

JoshuaRAWR.4653

There’s more to the game than just the silverwastes, and as Diovid mentioned, you don’t HAVE to play guild wars 2, you’re free to play any other game.

Warrior 80 | Guardian 80 | Ranger 80 | Engineer 80 |
Thief 80 | Elementalist 80 | Mesmer 80 | Necromancer 80 | Revenant TBA

Posted by: Squee.7829

Squee.7829

I know! I have a problem! Is just that all the games I have are boring to me lately. GW2 is just more familiar and has a social aspect I can’t find in other games. I’ve tried. The people of skyrim are terrible conversationalists. And while I know that my boredom comes from issues that are at least 90% my fault (be it depression that’s making me unmotivated or whatever. I’m not a psychologist. I pay other people to do that. ) I would still very much like to know if we can expect anything to play with to hold us over until HoT comes out.

Leader and sole member of the “Bring Penguins to Tyria” movement.

Posted by: Hvaran.6327

Hvaran.6327

beta in few weeks.

next year release? I don’t know about other games, but it would be kinda stupid for me.

As they said HOT is not only alot of content itselfe but the way in wich the game will envelope in future – adding new maps, specializations, so maybe pack itslefe will not be that huge, but will change the game itselfe, change competitive meta for sure and will open new “kind” of content and character progression, wich makes it easier for them to make it pretty fast (as they work on it for long, i’m taking in account) and just add more and more content depending on crowd feedback and not just adding tones of content half of wich will be downvoted.

For me normally will be end of april release deadline, if not then wth…..

Handarand – Handacooon – Handa Panda – Handa Genie

Posted by: MaXi.3642

MaXi.3642

I’m playing Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm beta and The Crew along with GW2 and I have more to do than I have time for

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

For me…I’m finishing map completion on several characters, getting all of my sylvari up to lvl 80 while doing that. Saving gold, doing dungeons when I feel like it, harvesting/gathering along the way, doing the daily ascended crafting to save those mats for later things and when I get bored with that I find a Silverwastes chest farm or do the regular events there. Might drop into Dry Top and use the keys I’ve accumulated. Thinking about finding a giant slayer guild to work on that. Still plenty to do between now and whenever we get HoT.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Playing Destiny on PS4 atm and Bloodborne is released soon! So, waiting for betas and release date for GW2 is an easy task :-)

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Bryzy.2719

Bryzy.2719

You know you are free to play different games and come back when the expansion hits right?

This is a very weak argument in defence of the game, and frankly isn’t valid in the context of what the OP is asking.

Being able to play another game is a default position. You don’t need to bring attention to that fact.

An attribute of a good MMO is that it should keep you entertained for the entire time you are playing it and offer regular updates to substantiate this. It is not good when some of the playerbase are stuck in a ‘bored limbo’ waiting for an expansion, because this is a sign that the original game is lacking in certain areas.

Yes, it is a case of individuality when it comes down to who-enjoys-playing-what, but it is not good practice when a game development team slacks on updates in lieu of an expansion with a completely undisclosed release date.

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

Have you tried WvW at all? It might not offer quite what you’re looking for, but it’s definitely something different to do, and if you’ve never done it, you ought to be entertained for a little while anyway. Plus, map completion.

There are also dungeons and fractals to be conquered, if you haven’t done that, or you could go out and do all the jumping puzzles (10 AP per, not to be taken lightly!) There’s a pretty good amount of stuff to do in this game. A lot of people just artificially limit themselves by saying “eww, no, I don’t ever want to do that” and then those same people come on here and complain that there’s nothing to do. Not saying that’s you or anything, but it happens a lot.

An attribute of a good MMO is that it should keep you entertained for the entire time you are playing it and offer regular updates to substantiate this. It is not good when some of the playerbase are stuck in a ‘bored limbo’ waiting for an expansion, because this is a sign that the original game is lacking in certain areas.

Sorry, are you claiming there exists any MMO that meets this criteria? Because I would love to see it.

Also, if you think it’s a weak argument to say “do something else if you’re bored,” you clearly have yet to reach a point in your life where you need to limit your play time so you can accomplish something meaningful; because when you don’t have all the time in the world to be bored, spending any time on something you don’t like doing is absolute waste.

And especially since this game has no subscription fee, there is no reason to make yourself play it if you can’t find something to do that you like. Just because the question was asked “what should I do in-game” doesn’t mean the answer can’t be “maybe nothing.”

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

(edited by Andred.1087)

Posted by: Blackarps.1974

Blackarps.1974

My plan is pretty simple and obvious. I made sure to get enough tomes and scrolls to unlock every skill and get to level 80 for my Revenant on day one. I also have a bit of gold on the side to purchase all the traits I might be too lazy to get. I then jumped back into PvP to get some transmutation charges, went through my dyes and looked for ones I still need, and then went back to casually playing while I refreshed reddit waiting for some new information. My guild has about 10,000g, 6 million influence, and 250 merits to spend on upgrades for the guild hall so I’m not worried about that. I’m just ready to start counting down the days at this point.

Maguuma Guardian

Posted by: Nephziel.6053

Nephziel.6053

beta in few weeks.

next year release? I don’t know about other games, but it would be kinda stupid for me.

They said they will start preparing beta after PAX East and Rezzed not that beta is coming straight after. So thats bit more than few weeks

April is just bit too hopeful. I mean with projected profits having a huge spike in 3rd quarter of the year.

Posted by: Caeledh.5437

Caeledh.5437

The people of skyrim are terrible conversationalists.

It’s remarkable going straight from one to the other. I resubbed for a month back when it started to look like they were going B2P, to pin down a few names. So many aspects of GW2’s design is specifically to encourage players helping each other that, whether they are or not, the community feels SO much friendlier.

I was only ever an on and off player until recently so still have much to do myself but for your sake I hope there’s new stuff between now and then. Though they did say the expansion story picked up right where season 2 living story ended. So…

Community projects? Fan site? Help a random cough noob?

Posted by: Venatorn.7619

Venatorn.7619

Here’s what I’m doing..

-leveling a salad character (character’s name is Moretiel, which is basically salad in latin just changed to fit a name)

-finishing up what’s left of ascended crafting (i want at least all weapons and heavy armor full ascended)

- recruiting and running events with guild to get ready and stock up influence and merit

-doing map completion slowly(don’t want to get worn out of map comp bc i want a gold star on my future Rev main)

-gold farming

-achievement hunting

All proffesions 80

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

I’m saving up dungeon tokens for every dungeon so I can easily get two full sets of armor and weapons for my Revenant as soon as HoT comes out.

Also The Witcher 3 comes out in 2 months, 2 weeks, and 4 days. I’m okay if HoT does not come out before then.

Posted by: Bearhugger.4326

Bearhugger.4326

The reason people say that about MMOs is because they keep paying a monthly fee to play. If you pay 15$ a month and they release nothing except for an expansion that you still have to pay then that MMO is not a very good deal.

In the case of GW2 I don’t feel they have to keep me entertained because I don’t give them anything. Although if there’s a Living World season 3 or some more free content after this expansion I’ll happily take it.

Posted by: JakeG.9620

JakeG.9620

I’m going for the Karmic converter, while slowly building up the ascended materials for armor for my Revenant (but that’s more long term) after my Karmic converter I might go for Mawdrew and when that’s done I’ll build up my legendary crafting mats. lots of stuff to keep me busy ^^

Posted by: Bathos.6341

Bathos.6341

I must admit to being somewhat bored atm in GW2, been playing starbound more lately. When I am playing GW2 I’m mostly farming gold in dungeons to buy new dyes as I’m trying to finish off the set of Glint’s dyes.

Posted by: Bubi.7942

Bubi.7942

I’m getting into LoL again, back in platinum after a year of absence

Also, I got a list of solo games I have not played yet, but want to, I started one of those (FF XIII atm).

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Yeah, I think it’s perfectly fair to not play GW2 if ANet doesn’t give us content to play. I also thing making yourself play GW2 when you’re getting bored of the same old is also only going to make you negatively disposed towards GW2 in the long run.
So go play something else for a while. No matter how lovely the cake is, eating it every day is going to get boring. If Anet releases new content then you can come back, when ANet drops HoT then you can come back, or when you feel like it again then you can come back.
One of the big advantages of B2P model.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

I’m going for the Karmic converter, while slowly building up the ascended materials for armor for my Revenant (but that’s more long term) after my Karmic converter I might go for Mawdrew and when that’s done I’ll build up my legendary crafting mats. lots of stuff to keep me busy ^^

Might want to start crafting the foods since you need a total of 21 of each for the mawdrew 2 and its 1 a day aswell =)

Posted by: Shiro Tegachii.5619

Shiro Tegachii.5619

making a celestial acsended set

Hvaran.6327

beta in few weeks.

They said they will start preparing beta after PAX East and Rezzed not that beta is coming straight after. So thats bit more than few weeks

April is just bit too hopeful. I mean with projected profits having a huge spike in 3rd quarter of the year.

they where saying it in different ways tbh, but saying that beta will follow “very fast” after pax is 100%.

I don’t know the business part of the game and best possible profit when to release, I’m just saying AS competitive player from wvw+pvp (occasianally pve…but can’t enjoy it much) that is kinda fed up and bored with current meta, and knowing that new meta will come (specializations, new classes, new condis, new boons – i’m very excited about the changes), I feel like they leaving us to play with broken toy while keeping the fixed one for longer for their own reasons.

Kind of gaem is in the most ded state for me atm as an player that have spent alot of time in competitive part of this game.

Posted by: Simzani.4318

Simzani.4318

If you find the game boring now, it will still be boring when the dlc land. It is just a feature pack + ls saeson.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

beta in few weeks.

they where saying it in different ways tbh, but saying that closed beta will follow “very fast” after pax is 100%.

I don’t know the business part of the game and best possible profit when to release, I’m just saying AS competitive player from wvw+pvp (occasianally pve…but can’t enjoy it much) that is kinda fed up and bored with current meta, and knowing that new meta will come (specializations, new classes, new condis, new boons – i’m very excited about the changes), I feel like they leaving us to play with broken toy while keeping the fixed one for longer for their own reasons.

Kind of gaem is in the most ded state for me atm as an player that have spent alot of time in competitive part of this game.

fixed it for you in bold mate

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

If you find the game boring now, it will still be boring when the dlc land. It is just a feature pack + ls saeson.

No not really. It comes down to the what is boring. Is the fundamental mechanics getting boring? Then yes, the fundamental mechanics aren’t going to change. If the content is getting boring then no new content will address that.
Also by dlc I take it you’re referring to HoT? In that case, can you also tell me what next weeks lotto numbers are?

Hvaran.6327

it’s just totally new meta. you’re wrong.

specializations, stab change, all that i listed will make it different and some awspects of the game fun to rediscover how to play best there.

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

My list:

Get the last two professions to 80.
Craft Mawdrey (really for Mawdrey II)
Get my 4 mains completely caught up on the living story.
Get ascended weapons on all 4 mains.
Complete ascended accessories on all characters.
Finish my Ele’s look.
Finish map completion on my Ele.
Stockpile 60 tomes for insta-80 Rev.
Figure out which race I’ll use for Rev and play with the wardrobe to find a target look.
Possibly get some ascended armor under way.

Posted by: Eirian Direstorm.9748

Eirian Direstorm.9748

Like many of you, I’m collecting mats, working on crafting, and generally trying to get ready so that when the release comes, I won’t get stuck thinking “oh kitten! I’ll need a year to get/make this thing I desperately want.”

<— is so conditioned that she manually typed “kitten” instead of a profanity.

I don’t mind a little down time, knowing that a big thing is coming. It gives me time for all of the above. I’m even making a second Mawdrey, just for fun and because I’ve done a lot of the LS on more than one character, and had all the bits cluttering my bank. And compared to some of the other ascended back pieces, it seems easier, or at least less grindy.