What weapon you DONT-WANT? (Specialization)

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Tskales.2804

Tskales.2804

I’d like the longbow for guardian, which we’ll probably get.

All classes should either get a two handed weapon, or they get both main and off hand weapons.

Mesmer have really lost out by getting just shield, with only two new skills.

“I’m sure glad that A-net is spending the 20 minutes or so that it would take to remove
the hobosack on making more important additions to the game.
Like golden pigs for the gem store” – Gern.2978

Posted by: Costeleta.7236

Costeleta.7236

Scepter For Warrior…

Just a nobody

Posted by: Butch.4957

Butch.4957

I main a thief and I can say without a doubt that I do not want Rifle for my specialization! Give me dual swords to play as a blade dancer, or a greatsword (assassins of ancient times used katana’s with a two handed grip as well so that would make sense thematically), or even a staff I could use as a polearm like Rytlock was using in the trailer! Just please for the love of all that is Holy and True, do not force thieves to have to go with a freaking Rifle (pretend I said that with disgust), that does not even follow the theme the character was designed for and fits well in most everyone’s minds.

Posted by: kmorland.9486

kmorland.9486

I main a thief and I can say without a doubt that I do not want Rifle for my specialization! Give me dual swords to play as a blade dancer, or a greatsword (assassins of ancient times used katana’s with a two handed grip as well so that would make sense thematically), or even a staff I could use as a polearm like Rytlock was using in the trailer! Just please for the love of all that is Holy and True, do not force thieves to have to go with a freaking Rifle (pretend I said that with disgust), that does not even follow the theme the character was designed for and fits well in most everyone’s minds.

I agree rifle is almost the easy way out if they go that route dual wield sword sounds like it could work though!

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

No firearms for guardian or ranger. They’re the last two classes I enjoy, and I’d prefer to keep it that way.

Posted by: RashanDale.3609

RashanDale.3609

(assassins of ancient times used katana’s with a two handed grip as well so that would make sense thematically)

Assassins using big, twohanded weapons? You really sure about that? Oo
I highly doubt that was ever the case.

also, one skin doesnt make an entire weapon type reasonable.

how does rifle not fit the theme of the thief and how do you know about everyone’s minds?

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
Gunnar’s Hold

(edited by RashanDale.3609)

Posted by: tekfan.3179

tekfan.3179

Weapons I don’t want for my ele:
-Mace
-Warhorn
-Axe
(Gimme a sword!!!)

Posted by: Shiki.7148

Shiki.7148

Do not want :
Warrior – Pistol
Ele – Rifle, Pistol, GS
Thief – GS, Staff, Scepter, Torch, Focus, Warhorn, Shield
Necro : Rifle, Pistols, Off-Hand Sword, Shield, Long/Short Bow
Mesmer : Rifle, Bows
Guardian : Off-H Sword
Engi : No idea.
Ranger : Rifle

Also, nobody not having a GS yet or announced should get a GS. Overused little (huge) thing.

Also, have you also started to check out all the major cities, villages, and camps to see if there is a NPC of a specific class using a weapon not native to their class? With Marjory already and example for a Necro using a GS, I thought maybe they have hidden NPC’s that could point to the other professions’ weapons, too (Although Marjory was part of a story and not a random NPC, but still…).

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

Posted by: Lazze.9870

Lazze.9870

Weapons I don’t want to see with in Combination:

Ranger: Hammer

Classes need to stay trustworthy.

But. Bunny Thumper!

Posted by: Lazze.9870

Lazze.9870

Staff ranger. I dislike the fact that ArenaNet immediately thinks everybody’s Ranger is a hippy who spends their time practising nature magic, and methodically planning the best way to violate plants. I won’t even specialize my Ranger, because I dislike the theme of the druid so much and it’s staff. Some people like to design characters outside of the cookie cutter generic stereotypical version of each profession.

Yeah, how dare they to give you the option to expand upon something that has been a major part of the class since 2005!?

Posted by: Cbomb.4310

Cbomb.4310

I kinda agree with everyone on not ‘wanting’ a longbow or shortbow on guardian but I think thats what were getting, I think we’re getting a shortbow tbh.

Given.. we have no idea what it’ll do but I can only assume it wont be useful in dungeons so my interest is very minimal.

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

They mention often a rifle for thief, but I hate the idea. Unless they superior surprise me with a whole new concept of rifle, then the current impresison of how the weapon works on Engie/warrior (especially auto attacks), really blows me off.

Rather have offhand sword, EVEN if that’s only two skills.

Also i hope the nr of new skills is not unbalanced. Necro gets 5 new skills for certain, same as Ranger, but what about shield mesmer? Only two?

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

RashanDale.3609

Rather have offhand sword, EVEN if that’s only two skills.

Count again. New offhand for thief means new dual wield skills aswell.
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dual_skill

A new offhand would give thief 5 new skills in total.

Staff ranger. I dislike the fact that ArenaNet immediately thinks everybody’s Ranger is a hippy who spends their time practising nature magic, and methodically planning the best way to violate plants. I won’t even specialize my Ranger, because I dislike the theme of the druid so much and it’s staff.

Guild Wars ranger have always had some nature magic mixed into their skillset.

Some people like to design characters outside of the cookie cutter generic stereotypical version of each profession.

Youre apparently not one of those people. Cause i dont see staff as generic and stereotypical for a ranger at all, if i compare it to other games, where it’s often just Archer+Pet.

Gunnar’s Hold

(edited by RashanDale.3609)

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

can they? ‘cause i thought they could, then i looked up on the wiki and there’s no reference of it, so i figured it was scrapped.

I dont know where it was, but this is definitely a thing.

At least some rocks somewhere in tyria can be picked up and used for a special fire spell as an elementalist

edit: nvm, found it:
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Boulder

only on guild wars, there’s a separate wiki page on rocks and boulders, and the two have different info.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

Posted by: tfcgeneralkmk.9508

tfcgeneralkmk.9508

necro getting maces or hammers just doesn’t make any sense at all

getting sword main hand would be cool though

RashanDale.3609

why does this not make sense? Necros have always been the more brutal of the casters. If axes fit necros, hammers and maces fit too.

Leave the elegant stuff to the fancy mesmers.

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Kugron.5128

Kugron.5128

I’m a warrior. The last thing I want to be able to use is a scepter.

Posted by: knightmawk.5673

knightmawk.5673

I don’t want any off-hand weapon as a new weapon for any of the specializations. Since that’s only two new skills.

I sincerely hope that is not the case. Im hoping that the specialization does a lot more then just add weapon skills and a few utilities plus an elite. Theres really no point to calling it a specialization if thats all it does, you should just add weapons and skills to the base class at that point. My hope is that the specialization will change all of your weapon skills, but thats probably way too much to hope for so I hope at least on the off hand ones it changes your main hand a little too.

Also, theres nothing I dont want passionately, because if I dont like the specialization I just won’t play it, but I do hope that the Thiefs first specialization isn’t rifle, just because Id rather see something else first, if they get rifle eventually thats fine, but Id rather see something more interesting to start out

BrunoBRS.5178

i don’t see why people assume only one weapon can be added.

two one-handed weapons provide the same amount of skills as one two-handed weapon. hopefully this means mesmer gets something more than just shield. another melee option, plz

Posted by: Kurow.3076

Kurow.3076

I’ll keep this simple!!

Guardian: Axe (fairly certain they get longbow anyway)
Warrior: Any kind of magical weapon (this does not include torch)
Ranger: Pistol (we already know they get staff, so, irrelevant)
Thief: Rifle (god kittening no, they don’t need this garbage – not sure why so many are kitten kitten -ing for 1200 ranged weapon)
Engineer: Again, any kind of magical weapon (irrelevant since we know they get hammer)
Elementalist: Pistol or Rifle (just…no)
Necromancer: Again, Pistol or Rifle (we already know they get GS, so, this is irrelevant)
Mesmer: Hammer or Rifle (clearly no need for it)

Posted by: Sorean.5379

Sorean.5379

Hnnnnnnnng,I just hope Druid gets really cool looking skills.
Druids reminds me of Battleforge,if anyone here played it,the Nature deck had one of the most beautiful particle effects ever.

I hope they can create some kind of Shrine with their Elite skill,healing orbs and all that.
Some skill like entangle but of course,not as strong,a healing or protection shrine,some kind of wind or breeze and nature stuff.

I don’t even play Ranger that way (like a Druid/Shaman,she isn’t even wearing Medium Armor actually) but I would change my ranger theme without a doubt if the Druid looks a little bit like I’m imagining.

For my two main chars,I hope Warrior don’t get:

Melee Staff,please just no. This is not a kung f..u game. (The forum is censoring it,but you get it)

Guardian:

I just want the Longbow for Guardian,nothing else.

Did you guys played Dragon’s Dogma? The Magick Archer class…I want that in Guild Wars 2.

Guardians could use Bow imbued with magic,not regular arrows,but magic arrows.
Google Dragons Dogma Magick Archer if you need an example.
Another example would be Hank from Dungeon & Dragons cartoon,but he is less epic.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

I really think if they were going to add weapons it should have been that each class got 5 new weapon skills meaning if they don’t give a class a two-hander, they get a main hand and off hand weapon.

That’s gonna stink for classes that just get off hand weapons.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: tfcgeneralkmk.9508

tfcgeneralkmk.9508

why does this not make sense? Necros have always been the more brutal of the casters. If axes fit necros, hammers and maces fit too.

Leave the elegant stuff to the fancy mesmers.

to me its because they don’t cut you when hit (well i guess a spiked mace might be ok ) to me necromancers use blood to make their spells work so anything that doesn’t make it readily available to infect or corrupt doesn’t make much sense to me feel free to disagree of course

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

Don’t want:

Shield for my Mes unless of course it creates huge bubbles that explode and send all the enemies flying.

Another one hand for my Ele.

Two hand for my thief.

Posted by: Clyan.1593

Clyan.1593

Uh, i don’t get it. “Weapons” technically are just skins covering skills.
Look at Mesmer using GS – it’s a ranged weapon.
How can you know what the weapon you don’t want may do? And since you cannot know, why do you assume not to want it?

“Bagh Nakh! Bagh Nakh!”
– Dark Lord of Moshpoipoi

(edited by Clyan.1593)

RashanDale.3609

to me its because they don’t cut you when hit (well i guess a spiked mace might be ok ) to me necromancers use blood to make their spells work so anything that doesn’t make it readily available to infect or corrupt doesn’t make much sense to me feel free to disagree of course

Fair enough. That makes a surprising amount of sense; never thought about it that way.
Thanks!

How can you know what the weapon you don’t want may do? And since you cannot know, why do you assume not to want it?

Casters are exceptions, but the other classes use the weapons how theyre intended to be used.
A Guardian wont suddenly grab a longbow and use it exclusively to smack people in melee combat. Or cast heal spells on allies. He would shoot with it.

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: dietzero.3514

dietzero.3514

can they? ‘cause i thought they could, then i looked up on the wiki and there’s no reference of it, so i figured it was scrapped.

At least some rocks somewhere in tyria can be picked up and used for a special fire spell as an elementalist

only on guild wars, there’s a separate wiki page on rocks and boulders, and the two have different info.

Incorrect. My ele picks up rocks and turns them into meteors all the time in GW2. It acts just like the spell from GW.

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Maybe we should have a group of duel wielding classes that no on expects imagine your surprise to see…..
Mesmer: Duel wielding torch (The Prestige)
Guardian: Duel wielding Shield ( The Bunker)
Warrior: Duel wielding Rifle (The Boss)
Elementalist: Duel Wielding Staff ( The Magician)
Ranger: Duel Wielding Bows ( The What the Hell!)
Necro: Duel wielding Warhorn ( The plague)
So much more fun

Aha, this is amazing.

And Engi: Dual wielding Hammers ((Bob) The Builder)

Posted by: Lehtomaki.8705

Lehtomaki.8705

Am i the only one here who wants main hand pistol or dagger for warrior? Or even better dual wield d/d or p/p!

Posted by: watergenji.5816

watergenji.5816

i don’t see why people assume only one weapon can be added.

two one-handed weapons provide the same amount of skills as one two-handed weapon. hopefully this means mesmer gets something more than just shield. another melee option, plz

Actually, the mesmer doesn’t need one other weapon type. Just have it main-hand shields too! And make it a melee shield! Man, how mesmery is that? Then there’s the odd situation where you could main-hand a melee shield and off-hand a sword that blocks and counters….LOL

EDIT: On topic, I don’t want to see a longbow on guard, myself. I like the rifle or even shortbow options better.

(edited by watergenji.5816)

BrunoBRS.5178

Incorrect. My ele picks up rocks and turns them into meteors all the time in GW2. It acts just like the spell from GW.

…that’s my point.

there’s a page on the wiki called “rock”, and it shows the “rock” environmental weapon, but no mention of the elementalist skill.

then there’s a page called “boulder”, and shows literally the same environmental weapon, except this time it has the freaking elementalist tooltip.

i’m criticizing the wiki having multiple pages on something this trivial, and the pages not even having the same information.

dietzero.3514

…that’s my point.

there’s a page on the wiki called “rock”, and it shows the “rock” environmental weapon, but no mention of the elementalist skill.

then there’s a page called “boulder”, and shows literally the same environmental weapon, except this time it has the freaking elementalist tooltip.

i’m criticizing the wiki having multiple pages on something this trivial, and the pages not even having the same information.

You said you thought it was scrapped…

Rock is an item you buy, I believe. Boulders are the ones lying around. So I guess technically you pick up rocks called boulders. Small boulders…

BrunoBRS.5178

…that’s my point.

Rock is an item you buy, I believe. Boulders are the ones lying around. So I guess technically you pick up rocks called boulders. Small boulders…

i did, 3 posts before the one you quoted.

the post you quoted was me saying how pointless this page is when this one exists.

then again, it’s more ANet’s fault for having “rock” as an environmental weapon in exactly one location in the whole game, and using boulder for everything else.

Posted by: A OK.8276

A OK.8276

…that’s my point.

Aren’t those cobbles?

http://www.academia.edu/7407616/Paper_110_Hunt_et_al_Microtunneling_in_Gravel_Cobbles_and_Boulders_f

Sorry, I’m a tunneler and its the difference between millions of dollars in hundreds of change orders… haha.

btw what are you guys talking about??

dietzero.3514

…that’s my point.

Aren’t those cobbles?

http://www.academia.edu/7407616/Paper_110_Hunt_et_al_Microtunneling_in_Gravel_Cobbles_and_Boulders_f

Sorry, I’m a tunneler and its the difference between millions of dollars in hundreds of change orders… haha.

btw what are you guys talking about??

Probably. Never measured them…

We are talking about…no idea. Throwing rocks at people I guess.

Posted by: Oshelotae.4176

Oshelotae.4176

No greatsword on Revenant.

Im fine with it on necromancer but its already so overused on every other class that its become sort of an eyesore.

Posted by: Kelthien.8593

Kelthien.8593

I’d like the longbow for guardian, which we’ll probably get.

All classes should either get a two handed weapon, or they get both main and off hand weapons.

Mesmer have really lost out by getting just shield, with only two new skills.

I’m in the “wait and see” camp. There’s always a possibility that the Mesmer will only receive 2 new skills when it equips a shield, but that the specialization will change some of the existing ones on other weapons.

As for what I’d NOT like to see… probably ranged Maces. GW2 has a bunch of great “unexpectedly ranged” weapons like the Mesmer GS or the Rev’s Hammer. I’d like them to avoid some of the dumber-looking options like ranged maces.

When it comes to what I’d love to see down the road, any class that dual-wields Foci. An Anomaly in each hand on my mesmer would look so awesome!

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

no firearm for necro or ranger, no more weapons for warrior (they can already use almost all of them).

however, i would actually like to see necro’s use the longbow (since GS is already coming true, yay), engi’s really need more weapons so the mace and axe would be nice.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

I dont want “magic” weapons for Engies, nor mace (Since we already have Hammer, not another blunt weapon please). Warhorn could be transformed into some kind of “sonic” weapon, so its good. Bows also doesn’t fit with Engie, IMO, but with some imagination you could make anything steampunk/technomagic, so i don’t know…

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

I want the sword for elementalist, but I am debating whether I want to like the elementalist sword skills or not…

Y’see I have a molten sword sitting on a mule, it is possibly my favorite skin in the entire game, and I bought it years ago specifically hoping that the sword would eventually be added to the elementalist.

But at the same time… good crap has that thing gone up in value! A small part of me is hoping the sword skill suck and I can cash in on it. >:D

(edited by Conncept.7638)

BrunoBRS.5178

I want the sword for elementalist, but I am debating whether I want to like the elementalist sword skills or not…

Y’see I have a molten sword sitting on a mule, it is possibly my favorite skin in the entire game, and I bought it years ago specifically hoping that the sword would eventually be added to the elementalist.

But at the same time… good crap has that thing gone up in value! A small part of me is hoping the sword skill suck and I can cash in on it. >:D

i want anything that gives me proper wind magic on air attunement, instead of lightning stuff. right now, only focus (and one staff skill) has air spells that are about wind instead of lightning.

Posted by: Chrisco.5732

Chrisco.5732

For warrior, dont want: pistol, scepter, focus or shortbow.

Posted by: Fashion Mage.3712

Fashion Mage.3712

I just don’t want axes on guardians. It’s either gonna provide conditions so that it’d allow guardians to be condinecro wannabes, or it’s just gonna be greatsword: main-hand edition. Don’t want either.

I’d prefer elementalists get something new concerning their attunements, but if I had to pick a weapon I don’t want for them, I’d choose maces.

I’m happy with rifles on thieves, I enjoy the idea of sniping while warping around.

(edited by Fashion Mage.3712)

BrunoBRS.5178

For warrior, dont want: pistol, scepter, focus or shortbow.

which leaves three weapon options.

what’s wrong with pistol though? i could see an offhand pistol on warrior, especially since rytlock has had one

Posted by: Me Games Ma.8426

Me Games Ma.8426

I’d hate mainhand pistol for mesmers.

Mindblossom – Sylvari – Mesmer – Jumpingpuzzler
Equinox [EqnX]
Riverside[DE]

Posted by: DevilLordLaser.8619

DevilLordLaser.8619

I have absolutely no desire to see the main-hand mace a number of Thief players are clamoring for. There’s nothing the mace – a defensive, controlling weapon designed to limit the foe’s ability to counterattack – does that the mainhand sword doesn’t already do in spades. Matter of fact, the Thief’s MH sword is one of the strongest MH options I know of across all classes and provides a gripton of damage and excellent utility. Why anyone in their right mind would want to replace the Thief’s sword with a jumped-up billy club is beyond me.

Rifle, now…ohhhhhh, yes. Rifle sounds positively alluring. I wanted – Oh my GOD how I wanted – to play a Rifle-centric Warrior as a main character in GW2 after the beta events, though it proved largely impossible. Before we even had those though, I was drooling all over the notion of a rifle-armed character making use of the Assassin’s old shadowstep techniques and making themselves a sly and agile hunter of men. The thought still makes me sigh all wistful-like.

Unfortunately there’s only so many ways to differentiate “and then bullets come out of the business end”, which makes proliferating firearms across more classes difficult. Warrior gets marksman bullets, Mesmer gets magic bullets (literally, as the case may be!), Engineer gets…I still don’t know what kittenry those guys got up to with those poor, poor guns T_T…so realistically, what does the Thief get? A lot of the Thief-y skills are already spread out to other characters, or were integrated into the pistol set on Thief. Which is sad because the Thief’s MH pistol is as utterly awful as its MH sword is truly quite excellent.

Blegh. Here’s to hoping ArenaNet is more creative than I am!

Posted by: Silverlilly.4526

Silverlilly.4526

(assassins of ancient times used katana’s with a two handed grip as well so that would make sense thematically)

Assassins using big, twohanded weapons? You really sure about that? Oo
I highly doubt that was ever the case.

also, one skin doesnt make an entire weapon type reasonable.

how does rifle not fit the theme of the thief and how do you know about everyone’s minds?

Ever hear of Hattori Hanzo the real one not the one depicted in a Koei franchise game he was of the Iga ninja clan he was also a Samurai and as such could wield any weapon wiki him its a good read

Posted by: SirWarriant.2319

SirWarriant.2319

Not a greatsword or a torch for thief, would have preferred a rifle so we had the possibility of having a 1200 range weapons but we are stuck with kittening torches unfortunately.

Ullr Thorgislwulf: 80 Ranger Yaks Bend sPvP & WvW
Eladan of Greenwood: 80 Ranger
Elemir Swiftblade: 80 Thief

Posted by: Fashion Mage.3712

Fashion Mage.3712

Not a greatsword or a torch for thief, would have preferred a rifle so we had the possibility of having a 1200 range weapons but we are stuck with kittening torches unfortunately.

Did I miss something? Where were thieves shown with torches?

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

I think the biggest speculation for the Guard Spec is Longbow, and I do /not/ want that at all. There’s this part of my brain that just never sat well with heavy armoured classes using archery. A mage with a greatsword and plate armour? Sure, that’s awesome. A knight with a longbow? Nonononononon, leave that to the rogues! Give us a rifle, if you’re going to go with 2H ranged! :P

But I’m sure I’m alone in this.

You’re not.

Oh, and the idea of the druid specialisation for rangers disgusts me. More crappy, clunky, supposed-to-be-hybrid-but-just-useless, low-damage traits and weapon. ‘Cause rangers didn’t have enough.
God how I hated druids in NWN, like, meh.
[watch them lock sword and greatsword + decent traits with the druid specialization, just WATCH THEM!!! I called it first]

Awesome.
Both my favourite classes might be getting jack squat.
Mesmer and revenant, I’m betting on you!

P.S. I’ll never forgive them for not giving me my Bunny Thumper build. I’ll never forgive them… ever. Eeeeever.

(edited by deSade.9437)