When stat swap utility on non raid armor?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: conanq.6249

conanq.6249

To be clear, this is not about skins. Please don’t conflate the issue with that aspect.

So, one thing that has concerned(?) me for a while is the utility aspect of legendary armor. The ability to swap stats, without having to go back to the mystic forge, or craft another set, but while you are playing (out of combat obviously). This is a clear advantage in convenience, over all other armor.

But I hear you say, it’s not a big deal, because you’ll still have to swap runes! Two points:

1. If it’s not a big deal then it doesn’t matter if non raid armors have this ability, does it? Because all you guys care about is the skins right? We’ll never change runes anyway because it’s too expensive is the classic comment.
2. What happens when ANet finally get around to solving the rune issue?

Since these armors are currently just prestige items, and skins are the only thing that matters (cause that’s what I’m always told), the armors other feature – i.e. it’s utility function – should not be locked away in raids.

Why does only that game mode get this utility?

Note: As pointed out weapons, and in fact any ‘Legendary’ items should be achievable via multiple content streams.

Skins would still be different of course, as thats prestige showing where you got it, but the utility aspect shouldnt be locked behind one game mode.

(edited by conanq.6249)

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

Why does Open world Pve have a monopoly on Legendary weapons locked behind it? Why does only that gamemode get this utility?

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

To be clear, this is not about skins. Please don’t conflate the issue with that aspect.

So, one thing that has concerned(?) me for a while is the utility aspect of legendary armor. The ability to swap stats, without having to go back to the mystic forge, or craft another set, but while you are playing (out of combat obviously). This is a clear advantage in convenience, over all other armor.

But I hear you say, it’s not a big deal, because you’ll still have to swap runes! Two points:

1. If it’s not a big deal then it doesn’t matter if non raid armors have this ability, does it? Because all you guys care about is the skins right? We’ll never change runes anyway because it’s too expensive is the classic comment.

Since these armors are currently just prestige items, and skins are the only thing that matters (cause that’s what I’m always told), the armors other feature – i.e. it’s utility function – should not be locked away in raids.

the stat swap is the perk of legendary items. Your trying to make this into an issue for raiding when its not related – raiding is merely another source of legendary items (although i believe legendary armor should be achievable by other means.

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

BlaqueFyre.5678

the stat swap is the perk of legendary items. Your trying to make this into an issue for raiding when its not related – raiding is merely another source of legendary items (although i believe legendary armor should be achievable by other means.

Only if they give Legendary Weapons through Other means. Right now each game mode sans WvW has at least 1 Legendary exclusive to it, with open world Pve having the biggest monopoly.

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

I do fear and think that people might ask for others to have legendary armor pieces for both the convenience of statswaps, as well have at least 1 item to prove theyve invested in raids sufficiently. Saying you need at least 1-3 pieces of legendaries instead of xLI

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Only if they give Legendary Weapons through Other means. Right now each game mode sans WvW has at least 1 Legendary exclusive to it, with open world Pve having the biggest monopoly.

Well anyone can do open world pve solo you dont have to relly on 9 other people to be able to make your legendary.

BlaqueFyre.5678

Well anyone can do open world pve solo you dont have to relly on 9 other people to be able to make your legendary.

So what about pvp and Fotm Legendaries that relies on 4 other players per completion to even get those. Just saying this isn’t the first Legendary to require more than just yourself.

It is fine to have exclusive Legendaries to gamemodes, if they open up one Legendary to different game modes they have to do the same for the others.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Raiding in MMOs is known for its gear grind. ArenaNet couldn’t do that, so they offered legendary armor instead. I wouldn’t count on seeing it elsewhere because it’s needed to coax people into raiding. By the 3rd expansion however, it should be old news, so they might offer another set, assuming they don’t keep releasing them with raids.

SPvP will likely be the next to see legendary armor, but as a tournament reward. I wouldn’t count on WvWing getting any because it’s meant to be a casual playground for PvErs to get into PvP rather than for hardcore WvW.

In the past, a suggestion has been to add the swapping feature to ascended. It could happen one day, but certainly not until a full set of legendary gear has been released.

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

your not going to coax people into raiding really, people know what raiding entails and they either want to commit to it or not. All that is needed is unique legendary armor for raiding, and different legendary armor that can be gained through other means, job done, win win for all.

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

ANet made a mistake. What that mistake is, though, remains to be seen. Atm, my candidates are either: placing too much emphasis on Legendary items as the ultimate endgame pursuit; or moving with glacial slowness in producing alternative L. Armor, so that it appears that this armor tier is locked behind fringe content.

The other aspect of the situation is this: raiders believe that because they raid, they are entitled to better loot than non-raiders. It’s ingrained into their psyches from other games where they are allowed to have better stats than anyone else. The unfortunate part of this situation for GW2 is that a great many people bought GW2 to get away from typical MMO mindsets. What remains to be seen is whether catering to such a mindset will help ANet more than it hurts them.

I say this as a disinterested observer. I stopped throwing rl cash at ANet a long time ago, and that’s a card that can only be played once.

Posted by: Talindra.4958

Talindra.4958

i have posted long time ago but got removed by dev.
if legendary armor can have a function which if we unlocked stat and unlocked runes once , then after we can just select any unlocked stat and rune from clicking it. so this makes it easier to change any build at any time.
this will be too good to be true right.

Champion Magus & Phantom, Demon’s Demise, The Archdesigner.
Death is Energy [DIE] – Gandara EU
Australia

Linken.6345

Yes legendary weapons dont have unlock sigil so we have no reason to expect that armor would have that for runes

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

To be clear, this is not about skins.

snip long post about skins

skins are the only thing that matters (cause that’s what I’m always told)

Skins aren’t the only thing that matters. Basing your whole argument around this is therefore flawed. For legendary armour the utility is what matters. If the skins are/were ugly you’d just transmute them and keep the utility.

As for “when anet fixes the rune issue” – is there any indication they will? If not, assume they won’t fix it and you don’t have an argument there either.

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Why does Open world Pve have a monopoly on Legendary weapons locked behind it? Why does only that gamemode get this utility?

Because non-open world pve players do not ask for legendary weapons to be available in other ways.

And they don’t. It always comes up only in discussions about other things, as an argument from people that do not really want it, but merely use it as an argument to shut up others.

So, if you want WvW or sPvP getting their own path to legendary weapons, make a thread about it. If i decide to post in it, it won’t be to argue against it.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: Talindra.4958

Talindra.4958

Yes legendary weapons dont have unlock sigil so we have no reason to expect that armor would have that for runes

Ya I think so too. But I will keep dreaming until it comes out later.

Champion Magus & Phantom, Demon’s Demise, The Archdesigner.
Death is Energy [DIE] – Gandara EU
Australia

BlaqueFyre.5678

Because non-open world pve players do not ask for legendary weapons to be available in other ways.

And they don’t. It always comes up only in discussions about other things, as an argument from people that do not really want it, but merely use it as an argument to shut up others.

So, if you want WvW or sPvP getting their own path to legendary weapons, make a thread about it. If i decide to post in it, it won’t be to argue against it.

That is a lie WvW, Pvp and instances Pve players have asked for Legendaries to added to their game modes since launch but nice lie though, they just stopped since 4 years of neglect from Anet has proven they don’t care about those game modes on good rewards.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Stat swap will be for nothing since you still keep the runes in your armors and they need to be overwritten. So who overwrites runes all the time, especially if they are like 10g?

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Linken.6345

Stat swap will be for nothing since you still keep the runes in your armors and they need to be overwritten. So who overwrites runes all the time, especially if they are like 10g?

the casuals who cant get it will use it since they dont care if the runes they use aint optimal 100% of the time

Astralporing.1957

the casuals who cant get it will use it since they dont care if the runes they use aint optimal 100% of the time

Yes. It’s ironic, but the stat swap option of legendaries is far more useful to casuals than to hardcores. This is one of the reasons why some raiders seem completely baffled by non-raider insistence on having legendary armor acquirable by means available for casuals.

If you can get it, you probably don’t need it. If you need it, you probably can’t get it. An overall bad design.

Actions, not words.

Posted by: flog.3485

flog.3485

Yes. It’s ironic, but the stat swap option of legendaries is far more useful to casuals than to hardcores. This is one of the reasons why some raiders seem completely baffled by non-raider insistence on having legendary armor acquirable by means available for casuals.

If you can get it, you probably don’t need it. If you need it, you probably can’t get it. An overall bad design.

Why would a casual go into swapping stats if the game barely requires a player to switch stats in general………..I consider myself being a casual player, I played most of all content with only one character and I have switched stats only once so far for a weapon in four years whil not playing with any legendary.. I tell you who benefit from stat swapping: the more hardcore player who have a lot time to play and therefore want to try different things because they have the in game resources to do so and the raid leaders who play raids in regular basis and who can lead in order to adapt more easily to their teams. Anyway, even with stat swapping on armor what players really really to switch, even in open world whether you play condi or pure power or a mix with high crits as well true is trinkets, earrings and accessories which are account bound so……

Astralporing.1957

Why would a casual go into swapping stats if the game barely requires a player to switch stats in general………..

Useful when switching between open world pve and WvW. Sometimes also for manipulating aggro in story instances for achievement reasons (had to do it the hard way few times already).
And, unlike hardcores, casuals will not mind having suboptimal runeset on such an armor.

People usually don’t use stat switching, because they have no means to do so. Not because it wouldn’t be useful to them.

Actions, not words.

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: Vieteriukko.6075

Vieteriukko.6075

In wvw it is very useful to be able to change stats on armor regardless the runes. Getting a bit more touhgness / vitality when joining a zerg is very practical. Those traveller / leadership / strength etc. runes all work with varying level of glassy armor.

I raid in order to be able to swap stats in wvw. PvE is just about berserker anyways save some raiding roles that can be covered with asc sets of armor.

Posted by: Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

So what about pvp and Fotm Legendaries that relies on 4 other players per completion to even get those. Just saying this isn’t the first Legendary to require more than just yourself.

It is fine to have exclusive Legendaries to gamemodes, if they open up one Legendary to different game modes they have to do the same for the others.

It is fine to get an exclusive skin but the utility function should be available through other game mode.

Your comparison to open world pve is plain ridiculous to be honest. Hardly anyone like map completion, but its hardly a lock for anyone and you have 100% control over doing it. It’s inevitable you will get there and you do not have to wait for anyone to start or dictate the pace.

Other than map completion, you can get anything out of any other game mode for a legendary weapon and the legendary back-pack is achievable through PVP and Fractal and eventually WvW too. The point is you have options to get there where as for the armor its raid or GTFO.

I can enjoy a raid here and there but at the pace I can do them (10 ppl is a major factor in accessibility in time and space), I won’t have the armor before GW3 come out because of the LI prerequisite.

BlaqueFyre.5678

It is fine to get an exclusive skin but the utility function should be available through other game mode.

Your comparison to open world pve is plain ridiculous to be honest. Hardly anyone like map completion, but its hardly a lock for anyone and you have 100% control over doing it. It’s inevitable you will get there and you do not have to wait for anyone to start or dictate the pace.

Other than map completion, you can get anything out of any other game mode for a legendary weapon and the legendary back-pack is achievable through PVP and Fractal and eventually WvW too. The point is you have options to get there where as for the armor its raid or GTFO.

I can enjoy a raid here and there but at the pace I can do them (10 ppl is a major factor in accessibility in time and space), I won’t have the armor before GW3 come out because of the LI prerequisite.

Oh really I can do just pvp or WvW to do the precursor crafting? What about for the HoT Legendaries that requires more than just Map completion. It isn’t a ridiculous comparison, Legendary weapons are exclusive to open world PvE, and like I said Armor isn’t the first legendary to require the team work of other i.e. legendary back require other people to succeed and get them. And you say eventually WvW for a legendary backpiece? No Dev has stated as such and no hint otherwise so until it’s in game I won’t believe you there.

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Oh really I can do just pvp or WvW to do the precursor crafting? What about for the HoT Legendaries that requires more than just Map completion. It isn’t a ridiculous comparison, Legendary weapons are exclusive to open world PvE, and like I said Armor isn’t the first legendary to require the team work of other i.e. legendary back require other people to succeed and get them. And you say eventually WvW for a legendary backpiece? No Dev has stated as such and no hint otherwise so until it’s in game I won’t believe you there.

As far as I know, the precursor can be bought on TP… I bought all 9 legendary precursor I have and actually never made the one I had as a drop (Sunrise).

Your argument completely evacuate the point I bring forth: you have more than one options in game mode for all other legendary. All, save armor.

That you require more than one player in other game mode is not a counter to this. Many would be glad to get armor in raid and fractals even if they both require many players to play the game mode. OPTIONS is the key word. OPTIONS.

BlaqueFyre.5678

As far as I know, the precursor can be bought on TP… I bought all 9 legendary precursor I have and actually never made the one I had as a drop (Sunrise).

Your argument completely evacuate the point I bring forth: you have more than one options in game mode for all other legendary. All, save armor.

That you require more than one player in other game mode is not a counter to this. Many would be glad to get armor in raid and fractals even if they both require many players to play the game mode. OPTIONS is the key word. OPTIONS.

Oh really go try to buy the precursor to Chuka and Champawat, or HOPE, or Nevermore or Endeavor, or Shooshadoo again no options and buying a precursor on the TP is not an option for the other game modes not having options to Legendaries. So your argument is completely evacuated, there are no options besides Open World Pve for Legendary weapons even more so for the HoT weapons.

Posted by: flog.3485

flog.3485

Why would a casual go into swapping stats if the game barely requires a player to switch stats in general………..

Useful when switching between open world pve and WvW. Sometimes also for manipulating aggro in story instances for achievement reasons (had to do it the hard way few times already).
And, unlike hardcores, casuals will not mind having suboptimal runeset on such an armor.

People usually don’t use stat switching, because they have no means to do so. Not because it wouldn’t be useful to them.

But if you are into wvw, don’t you think you also need to change runes ? And if so, don’t you think it is also cheaper to just get another armor only for wvw with a few changes of trinkets and earrings ? Personally when going into wvw I don’t switch armor stats. I still have my exotic set with ascended earrings and trinkets and only change my weapons (not stats) and traits and the same happens for personal story achievements….I kinda feel baffled by your stat switching adjustment comment. I guess it is also a matter of what classes you play

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Oh really go try to buy the precursor to Chuka and Champawat, or HOPE, or Nevermore or Endeavor, or Shooshadoo again no options and buying a precursor on the TP is not an option for the other game modes not having options to Legendaries. So your argument is completely evacuated, there are no options besides Open World Pve for Legendary weapons even more so for the HoT weapons.

You really do not read/listen well do you?

OPTIONS to get the functionality of the legendary is what is discussed here.

You can buy any legendary weapon precursor you want and enjoy the functionality of it being a legendary. Only the HoT skins are locked behind the crafting collections, not the legendary weapon functionality.

You want a legendary staff? Do the part of the game you want and buy the Legend. Same for the short bow, the pistol, the axe and the shield. The skin is locked, but not the legendary property of the weapon. There is a HUGE difference. Read plz.

BlaqueFyre.5678

You can buy any legendary weapon precursor you want and enjoy the functionality of it being a legendary. Only the HoT skins are locked behind the crafting collections, not the legendary weapon functionality.

You want a legendary staff? Do the part of the game you want and buy the Legend. Same for the short bow, the pistol, the axe and the shield. The skin is locked, but not the legendary property of the weapon. There is a HUGE difference. Read plz.

Again why should I have to buy it off the trade post and not be able to make it in any game mode I choose? Having to rely on another player to craft it or be willing to sell the precursor? It still doesn’t change the fact that all Legendary weapons are exclusively locked behind Open World Pve. Learn to read and you said again you can get any legendary from the TP I pointed out you cannot, yes you can get the functionality but Legendary is more than the Functionality, guess what nothing is stopping you in game from getting the Envoy armor besides yourself so you always have the Option to do Raids and work towards it.

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Again why should I have to buy it off the trade post and not be able to make it in any game mode I choose? Having to rely on another player to craft it or be willing to sell the precursor? It still doesn’t change the fact that all Legendary weapons are exclusively locked behind Open World Pve. Learn to read and you said again you can get any legendary from the TP I pointed out you cannot, yes you can get the functionality but Legendary is more than the Functionality, guess what nothing is stopping you in game from getting the Envoy armor besides yourself so you always have the Option to do Raids and work towards it.

I did read what you said, but it was beside the point being made was the problem. It still is.

What was asked was OPTIONS to get the legendary functionality. ANY options, including other game modes requiring many players or not. It is utterly beside the point being made that you can or not make it via crafting method in any game mode. All that is asked for is that at least ONE other option for a legendary armor exist. That is all. Not unreasonable at all.

EVERY other legendary offer more than one game mode option to get the functionality. Armor doesn’t.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Again why should I have to buy it off the trade post and not be able to make it in any game mode I choose?

Technically speaking, this is something all people run in to at some point. Legendaries are not just ‘open world pve’ and many of their components now have options they didn’t have before via reward tracks..

Gift of Battle? WvW reward track only. You have to go play wvw regardless.

Gift of Glory? 250 Shards of Glory – PvP or TP

Gift of Battle? 250 Memories of Battle – WvW or TP

Weapon specific gift? Dungeon grind, WvW reward track grind, PvP reward track grind. No TP option at all.

Mystic clovers are no longer locked behind flushing materials down the Mystic Forge. They can be gotten through several WvW and PvP reward tracks.

Obi shards are no longer locked behind karma. They can be obtained from an assortment of map currencies as well as from assorted reward tracks in both WvW and PvP as well.

Even materials can be obtained, with enough time, completely through WvW and PvP reward tracks for the other components.

The only thing that remains truly ‘locked’ to open world pve are the map exploration gifts.

Yes, the collections require you to do an assortment of events and find an assortment of items, but you have to do map completion anyway, so meh….

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

BlaqueFyre.5678

I did read what you said, but it was beside the point being made was the problem. It still is.

What was asked was OPTIONS to get the legendary functionality. ANY options, including other game modes requiring many players or not. It is utterly beside the point being made that you can or not make it via crafting method in any game mode. All that is asked for is that at least ONE other option for a legendary armor exist. That is all. Not unreasonable at all.

EVERY other legendary offer more than one game mode option to get the functionality. Armor doesn’t.

The TP is not another Gamemode, and is not a valid option, again Legendary weapons are exclusively locked behind Open world Pve until they give other game modes the option to acquire Legendary weapons then Legenday armor should stay behind Raids.

Players have asked since launch that Legendaries be available in all game modes mainly WvW and Pvp players asking it fell on deaf ears and a lot of Pve players spoke out against these options but now the other shoe has dropped.

So until the other gamemodes get the Legendary items as an actual option armor should be safely tucked behind Raids.

BlaqueFyre.5678

Again why should I have to buy it off the trade post and not be able to make it in any game mode I choose?

Technically speaking, this is something all people run in to at some point. Legendaries are not just ‘open world pve’ and many of their components now have options they didn’t have before via reward tracks..

Weapon specific gift? Dungeon grind, WvW reward track grind, PvP reward track grind. No TP option at all.

Mystic clovers are no longer locked behind flushing materials down the Mystic Forge. They can be gotten through several WvW and PvP reward tracks.

Obi shards are no longer locked behind karma. They can be obtained from an assortment of map currencies as well as from assorted reward tracks in both WvW and PvP as well.

Even materials can be obtained, with enough time, completely through WvW and PvP reward tracks for the other components.

The only thing that remains truly ‘locked’ to open world pve are the map exploration gifts.

Yes, the collections require you to do an assortment of events and find an assortment of items, but you have to do map completion anyway, so meh….

Up until the GoB putting in the reward tracks players did not have to participate in WvW to obtain the GoB, Now they can afk in WvW and have a GoB in 4-8 hrs so the amount of WvW is not even comparable when it takes a minimum of 19hrs of active game play to Map Comp for a GoE and that’s with a speed clear, not to include the Side objectives part of Map comp for the collections.

Yes there are the mats from wvw and Pvp but you can get those through TP for next to nothing in price if you don’t want to farm the very short reward tracks to acquire them, hell I wouldn’t be upset if they made each game mode have an equivalent amount of effort be required for all the Legendary Weapons then they wouldn’t be locked exclusively to Open World. It almost used to be that way at launch when WvW was needed for Map comp. but there has been a big bias on Open world players being pandered to for Legendaries.

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

The TP is not another Gamemode, and is not a valid option, again Legendary weapons are exclusively locked behind Open world Pve until they give other game modes the option to acquire Legendary weapons then Legenday armor should stay behind Raids.

Players have asked since launch that Legendaries be available in all game modes mainly WvW and Pvp players asking it fell on deaf ears and a lot of Pve players spoke out against these options but now the other shoe has dropped.

So until the other gamemodes get the Legendary items as an actual option armor should be safely tucked behind Raids.

The TP is not another game mode, true, but it can be used to achieve precursor acquisition while playing ANY game mode.

BlaqueFyre.5678

The TP is not another game mode, true, but it can be used to achieve precursor acquisition while playing ANY game mode.

Still that is not an acceptable option now that Legendaries are able to be crafted vs subject to the worst RNG possible. It would be perfectly acceptable if they gave all gamemodes the option to acquire each type of Legendary but they would have to give all gamemodes that treatment, but until then while they keep the gates to favor specific gamemodes per Legendary type they should keep Legendary armor locked behind Raids, it is only fair.

It wouldn’t be all that difficult either to do either, with the framework of reward tracks they could implement specific tracks for GoE 1 per track vs the 2 per Map completion, and the collection items, while leaving the component systems as they are, i.e. The needed materials and crafted items. This would open up all gamemodes for having access to Legendary weapons, then they can look into Legendary armor acquisition for each gamemode with Different Skins so it’s not pulling away from the unique acquisition methods.

Yes the game needs more options for acquisition but only if they do it across the board

(edited by BlaqueFyre.5678)

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

But at least all of these are easily puggable at any moment of the day without any problem whatsoever. No heavy logistic. You just go and play.

For map completion, you do not even need anybody at all.

For legendary gifts you do a dungeon 7 times and you are done with the gift. It’s nothing like 150 raid bosses (ffs who thought this was a good idea).

For WvW you do a track once while zerging and poping your boosters and it’s a joke.

The rest can be TPed.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Up until the GoB putting in the reward tracks players did not have to participate in WvW to obtain the GoB, Now they can afk in WvW and have a GoB in 4-8 hrs so the amount of WvW is not even comparable

This is beside the point. Your entire argument is that legendaries are entirely an open world pve thing, which they obviously are not and have not been for a little while now. Keep in mind this change was done entirely at the community’s request, if not precisely how they wanted it done.

Additionally, you can’t just afk. You do actually need to do ‘something’ to get your particiaption up, and then continue to do ‘something’ every 10 minutes to retain your participation reward and as such get the reward track tick. It’s actually faster if you actively run with the zerg if you’re on a server where there is actively a zerg during your play time and its actually doing ok. Some of us run into issues with that.

Yes, there is always EotM, but that can be hit and miss as well. It also doesn’t generate as high of a reward track tick and as such takes a tad bit more time too.

when it takes a minimum of 19hrs of active game play to Map Comp for a GoE and that’s with a speed clear, not to include the Side objectives part of Map comp for the collections.

Not sure it takes even that long for map completion anymore. And it’s even shorted for HoT completion. The time sink there is generating enough currency for the assorted racial gifts, and even that can be cut down with the currency boost potions.

Additionally, with the changes to the recent Legendaries like Eureka and Shooshadoo, there aren’t even collections anymore. It’s just a matter of grinding the right currency and making the components. The currency can be gotten via reward tracks in both modes. The only catch being that you need to do the story to unlock the reward track. Perhaps they should be on rotation like the dungeon tracks and then doing the story just unlocks them permanently, but that’s neither here nor there. The alternative exists.

I wouldn’t be upset if they made each game mode have an equivalent amount of effort be required for all the Legendary Weapons then they wouldn’t be locked exclusively to Open World. It almost used to be that way at launch when WvW was needed for Map comp. but there has been a big bias on Open world players being pandered to for Legendaries.

They aren’t completely locked to “just” open world anymore, which was the whole point. They havent been for a while, and that’s completely due to the demands of the community. A lot of people actually felt people should have to do all modes to be able to obtain a legendary. Anet at least gave us alternatives on some of the items, for those that don’t enjoy doing other modes. Options are not a bad thing.

Yes, legendaries were heavily open world in the beginning, despite map completion requiring wvw borderland mapping and building badges of honor for the gift of battle (which, wasn’t necessarily easy prior to the implementation of achievement chests if you weren’t on an active wvw server). Of course, at that point the only means of precursor acquisition was to play the mystic forge or buy it off the TP too.

Things have changed and evolved as time has progressed. Locking legendary armor behind a specific mode is a step backwards, not forwards. They just need to get additional sets in (WvW, Fractals, PvP, open world) so that alternatives are available and all will be well.

BlaqueFyre.5678

Up until the GoB putting in the reward tracks players did not have to participate in WvW to obtain the GoB, Now they can afk in WvW and have a GoB in 4-8 hrs so the amount of WvW is not even comparable

This is beside the point. Your entire argument is that legendaries are entirely an open world pve thing, which they obviously are not and have not been for a little while now. Keep in mind this change was done entirely at the community’s request, if not precisely how they wanted it done.

Additionally, you can’t just afk. You do actually need to do ‘something’ to get your particiaption up, and then continue to do ‘something’ every 10 minutes to retain your participation reward and as such get the reward track tick. It’s actually faster if you actively run with the zerg if you’re on a server where there is actively a zerg during your play time and its actually doing ok. Some of us run into issues with that.

Yes, there is always EotM, but that can be hit and miss as well. It also doesn’t generate as high of a reward track tick and as such takes a tad bit more time too.

when it takes a minimum of 19hrs of active game play to Map Comp for a GoE and that’s with a speed clear, not to include the Side objectives part of Map comp for the collections.

Not sure it takes even that long for map completion anymore. And it’s even shorted for HoT completion. The time sink there is generating enough currency for the assorted racial gifts, and even that can be cut down with the currency boost potions.

Additionally, with the changes to the recent Legendaries like Eureka and Shooshadoo, there aren’t even collections anymore. It’s just a matter of grinding the right currency and making the components. The currency can be gotten via reward tracks in both modes. The only catch being that you need to do the story to unlock the reward track. Perhaps they should be on rotation like the dungeon tracks and then doing the story just unlocks them permanently, but that’s neither here nor there. The alternative exists.

I wouldn’t be upset if they made each game mode have an equivalent amount of effort be required for all the Legendary Weapons then they wouldn’t be locked exclusively to Open World. It almost used to be that way at launch when WvW was needed for Map comp. but there has been a big bias on Open world players being pandered to for Legendaries.

They aren’t completely locked to “just” open world anymore, which was the whole point. They havent been for a while, and that’s completely due to the demands of the community. A lot of people actually felt people should have to do all modes to be able to obtain a legendary. Anet at least gave us alternatives on some of the items, for those that don’t enjoy doing other modes. Options are not a bad thing.

Yes, legendaries were heavily open world in the beginning, despite map completion requiring wvw borderland mapping and building badges of honor for the gift of battle (which, wasn’t necessarily easy prior to the implementation of achievement chests if you weren’t on an active wvw server). Of course, at that point the only means of precursor acquisition was to play the mystic forge or buy it off the TP too.

Things have changed and evolved as time has progressed. Locking legendary armor behind a specific mode is a step backwards, not forwards. They just need to get additional sets in (WvW, Fractals, PvP, open world) so that alternatives are available and all will be well.

The issue is the amount of time/ effort is locked behind Open World Pve, all of the recent speed clears show around 19hrs total, some have gotten lower but I cannot find a video or guide for them. This does not include the time with getting the weapon specific collection requirements like the JPs and so on. When it takes only 4-8 hrs for WvW, and yes you can essentially afk you don’t need to do much to keep up participation it takes around 10 minutes to build 195 participation and you can afk for 10 minutes at a time and only having to kill a sentry don’t even have to cap anything to reset the participation time once at max rinse repeat, you can still afk further by setting a heal skill to autocast to not time out, having to refresh participation takes almost zero effort.

So until they give equal access to all modes across the board the armor should stay tucked away.

(edited by BlaqueFyre.5678)

LanfearShadowflame.3189

So until they give equal access to all modes across the board the armor should stay tucked away.

I was going to address each of your points, but I’m just not going to bother. You are stuck in your ways and are perfectly content to tell everyone else to go screw themselves until your demands have been met. Regardless of the fact that things have changed and will likely continue to change. You don’t feel any of our arguments are ‘valid’ because things don’t work exactly as you feel they should. Which makes continuing this conversation completely pointless.

BlaqueFyre.5678

I was going to address each of your points, but I’m just not going to bother. You are stuck in your ways and are perfectly content to tell everyone else to go screw themselves until your demands have been met. Regardless of the fact that things have changed and will likely continue to change. You don’t feel any of our arguments are ‘valid’ because things don’t work exactly as you feel they should. Which makes continuing this conversation completely pointless.

No I see whining about items being locked behind certain gamemodes when this has been the case since launch, and the people whining now are the players with the access to majority of all Legendary items With the biggest gate behind their preferred gamemode, and are content with getting everything while other gamemodes don’t.

So unless you advocate for all gamemodes getting equal access to all Legendary types your whining is just that whining for a shiny you cannot get.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Wrong, the TP has the most. All core legendary weapons can be bought from the TP, you do not need to step foot into PvE to get one if you don’t want to. If you want Ro talk craftable, that’s a different story.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

BlaqueFyre.5678

Wrong, the TP has the most. All core legendary weapons can be bought from the TP, you do not need to step foot into PvE to get one if you don’t want to. If you want Ro talk craftable, that’s a different story.

Again the TP is not a game mode, and I am talking craftable routes, Pve has the monopoly on those, Anet needs to open up equal access to Crafting Legendaries between gamemodes by either giving options for acquiring the GoE/GoB/GoMag and so on for each gamemode or making all game modes have equal effort/requirements to obtain Legendaries.

See I play all gamemodes so currently I don’t have too much of issues doing what is required for items if I want them, I just realize there is a huge disparity between all gamemodes when it comes to Legendary crafting/acquisition and it Solely favors Open world Pve players more hannany other player type.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

No I see whining about items being locked behind certain gamemodes when this has been the case since launch, and the people whining now are the players with the access to majority of all Legendary items With the biggest gate behind their preferred gamemode, and are content with getting everything while other gamemodes don’t.

So unless you advocate for all gamemodes getting equal access to all Legendary types your whining is just that whining for a shiny you cannot get.

First, not whining. I was merely pointing out where you were wrong regarding the current state of legendary acquisition. Legendaries require components from all game modes presently. Some components are still presently locked behind specific aspects that do not have alternatives, but most have more than one option. Legendary armor, unlike weapons and back pieces, does not. Period. Thus, is a step backwards, not forward.

Second, if you look through my posts, you’ll see that alternative options have been something I’ve always advocated for. I’ve gone so far as to advocate for mode specific legendaries with a combining option for unique skins akin to how Sunrise / Twilight / Eternity work as a means of showing off that someone does mode ‘x’ or mode ‘y’ or a combination of modes.

As such, I’ve always stated that there needs to be other means of acquisition for the legendary armor as well, not just raids. Ideally there should be at least one armor set, back piece, weapon set, and trinkets of legendary tier for each major game component – Open world PvE, WvW, Fractals, Raids, and PvP. Each should have their own distinct look.

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

But if you are into wvw, don’t you think you also need to change runes ? And if so, don’t you think it is also cheaper to just get another armor only for wvw with a few changes of trinkets and earrings ? Personally when going into wvw I don’t switch armor stats. I still have my exotic set with ascended earrings and trinkets and only change my weapons (not stats) and traits and the same happens for personal story achievements….I kinda feel baffled by your stat switching adjustment comment. I guess it is also a matter of what classes you play

For my part, what I like about the legendary functionality is the amount of inventory space you save when you have equipment that carry all possible stat options.

As I am, I carry 3 ascended sets of armor. That mean 18 inventory slots for only 3 kind of stats vs 6 inventory slots for ALL possible options. See where the interest is?

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Again the TP is not a game mode, and I am talking craftable routes, Pve has the monopoly on those, Anet needs to open up equal access to Crafting Legendaries between gamemodes by either giving options for acquiring the GoE/GoB/GoMag and so on for each gamemode or making all game modes have equal effort/requirements to obtain Legendaries.

See I play all gamemodes so currently I don’t have too much of issues doing what is required for items if I want them, I just realize there is a huge disparity between all gamemodes when it comes to Legendary crafting/acquisition and it Solely favors Open world Pve players more hannany other player type.

The way some people are with the TP, they would say it is a game mode.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Astralporing.1957

Again the TP is not a game mode, and I am talking craftable routes, Pve has the monopoly on those

So? You ignoring other avenues doesn’t mean they suddenly stopped existing.

Anet needs to open up equal access to Crafting Legendaries between gamemodes by either giving options for acquiring the GoE/GoB/GoMag and so on for each gamemode or making all game modes have equal effort/requirements to obtain Legendaries.

Oh, i agree. I just don’t think that improving options for one gamemode should be suspended due to problems in another.

Actions, not words.

conanq.6249

I agree. You should be able to get them from other game modes.

That’s a good point.

conanq.6249

Well, its not the raiding I care about – I don’t – its the fact that this utility is involved with the only way to get it. Which is raiding.

How else do you talk about it, and not mention raiding? O.o

conanq.6249

I do fear and think that people might ask for others to have legendary armor pieces for both the convenience of statswaps, as well have at least 1 item to prove theyve invested in raids sufficiently. Saying you need at least 1-3 pieces of legendaries instead of xLI

I hadn’t even thought of that aspect. That would be sad. They already discriminate with Living Insights. For future raids I wouldnt be surprised if they did so with gear.

But, i dont really care about raiding, so whatever.

My primary concern is the utility function of Legendary Armour. I don’t believe this ability should be locked away behind a game mode

conanq.6249

Raiding in MMOs is known for its gear grind. ArenaNet couldn’t do that, so they offered legendary armor instead. I wouldn’t count on seeing it elsewhere because it’s needed to coax people into raiding. By the 3rd expansion however, it should be old news, so they might offer another set, assuming they don’t keep releasing them with raids.

SPvP will likely be the next to see legendary armor, but as a tournament reward. I wouldn’t count on WvWing getting any because it’s meant to be a casual playground for PvErs to get into PvP rather than for hardcore WvW.

In the past, a suggestion has been to add the swapping feature to ascended. It could happen one day, but certainly not until a full set of legendary gear has been released.

What will they do after the set is complete? Further raids for it would be pointless, no?

So another set that of Legendary Armour that only 5% of players can get? lol I’m quite relieved I care for neither LA or raiding :-P