When will we get new elite specs?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: xikira.3264

xikira.3264

When heart of thorns was released a lot of people understood that we would be getting more specs for our classes. I have only seen a lot of nerfs and reworking of skills we already have but nothing new other then the elites from the initial release. When will we start seeing more things added to all the classes?

“My potions are too strong for you, traveler.”
Potion Sella

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

With the next expansion.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

I expect we COULD get elite specs with some kind of paid content as well, though I think that’s more wishful thinking on my part. If we have to wait for an expansion for a new elite spec, I don’t have much faith that we will see too many of them in the life of this game.

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

I don’t think the intention was to have tons of them. It’d just make balancing even more difficult for a team which already has major issues in this department.

Based on HoT, I’d say some devs are already low on creative juices, anyways.

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

I don’t think the intention was to have tons of them. It’d just make balancing even more difficult for a team which already has major issues in this department.

HoT was an expansion that focused primarily on introducing new tools, engine revamps, and features over content. Its no surprise that it was content light, that doesn’t mean that the devs are struggling for creativity though.

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

The devs originally said they weren’t necessarily going to do elite specs only with expansions, when they were first revealed. But the next year they seemed to change their minds and said that they would be purely for expansions only. That was the last word we’ve had about them from the devs, so I’m assuming that’s the current plan for them.

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

HoT was an expansion that focused primarily on introducing new tools, engine revamps, and features over content. Its no surprise that it was content light, that doesn’t mean that the devs are struggling for creativity though.

The constant creation and destruction of so called systems is something this game is known for actually. I’d say yes it does mean there is a lack of creativity they strip something down and try to revamp it then strip and revamp over and over with very little content shown given the amount of work put into it.

To push what you have to bring about unique experiences is a sign of creativity to scrap the entire thing and start a new each and every turn is a sign they didn’t have the creative insight to push anything with what they have to they try to create again and again. Dungeons and underwater lost and forgotten, characters killed off, and so forth. Season 1 in terms of achievements and presentation is as different to season 2 as season 2 is to season 3 while HoT is different from all the seasons and the core.

Work with what you have and use creativity to do something inspired which is something people don’t typically associate with Anet who much prefers to wipe the board clean and try something else which leads to alot of work and very little content.

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

Short answer: with the next expac.

Long answer: foreshadowing has already dropped a few hints (possibly)
Braham found a scroll that fierily enchants weapons, so guardian elite ‘might’ utilize this. On shortbow maybe?
Marjory is a necromancer and decided to follow the mursaat known for soulreaping necromancy magic. So we might get something based on that.

Were other possible hints dropped? Rox and taimi got nothing new, right? Havent seen kasmeer yet.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

The constant creation and destruction of so called systems is something this game is known for actually. I’d say yes it does mean there is a lack of creativity they strip something down and try to revamp it then strip and revamp over and over with very little content shown given the amount of work put into it.

To push what you have to bring about unique experiences is a sign of creativity to scrap the entire thing and start a new each and every turn is a sign they didn’t have the creative insight to push anything with what they have to they try to create again and again. Dungeons and underwater lost and forgotten, characters killed off, and so forth. Season 1 in terms of achievements and presentation is as different to season 2 as season 2 is to season 3 while HoT is different from all the seasons and the core.

Work with what you have and use creativity to do something inspired which is something people don’t typically associate with Anet who much prefers to wipe the board clean and try something else which leads to alot of work and very little content.

So, to clarify, you are saying that constantly working to create new things is a sign of a lack of creativity while working to not create new, but instead tweaking that which already exists is a sign of creativity?

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

So, to clarify, you are saying that constantly working to create new things is a sign of a lack of creativity while working to not create new, but instead tweaking that which already exists is a sign of creativity?

Actually doing something with the systems before scrapping them for something new. An artist isn’t constrained by the systems in place they can creat anything into art. Anet keeps trying recreate and reel or the paint brush but they don’t take time to actually use those things to create.

As a response to people talking about foreshadowing I actually think it’s current elites their trying to work into the story. Majorly working with the mursaat and souls is obviously the reaper. More so is Braham and the bow being enchanted to kill a dragon is also just a dragon hunter I would say. Hot didn’t address the elites at all but it seems season 3 has taken up the mantle to try and explain some of them though I think it’s far to late.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Let’s explain it like this:

You’ve seen Star Wars, right? Did you know that Lucas wanted to do a bunch more stuff in that film, but kept running into limitations? He was repeatedly forced to simplify, or cut, to deal with the restrictions he had to work under.

Now, compare that to Episode 1. He had a HUGE budget, more special FX stuff than ever before, and nobody to tell him “No!” The result was a visually stunning film, but…

Getting rid of limitations on things like story telling or game mechanics can be a good thing, but they can also result in an overdone product. Setting some limitations may make it harder to do what you want to do, but it can also focus you. If you keep having to ignore the limitations to go forward, then there’s a very real problem somewhere.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Zeyta.3519

Zeyta.3519

Let’s explain it like this:

You’ve seen Star Wars, right? Did you know that Lucas wanted to do a bunch more stuff in that film, but kept running into limitations? He was repeatedly forced to simplify, or cut, to deal with the restrictions he had to work under.

Now, compare that to Episode 1. He had a HUGE budget, more special FX stuff than ever before, and nobody to tell him “No!” The result was a visually stunning film, but…

Getting rid of limitations on things like story telling or game mechanics can be a good thing, but they can also result in an overdone product. Setting some limitations may make it harder to do what you want to do, but it can also focus you. If you keep having to ignore the limitations to go forward, then there’s a very real problem somewhere.

I like this example/reference lol!

Posted by: Cerby.1069

Cerby.1069

Short Answer: Never

Why would people assume that HoT marked a milestone where anet would be introducing new specs into the game on a regular basis?

That makes nooooooo sense at all!

Expect more masteries and the ability to do new things like ride mounts and what not in closed instances (not rly exciting imo). But to expect every class to get new abilities? lol no. Don’t expect anything close to what hot provided. I mean where would they even go from there….? Everything now has even larger aoe? even larger condi bombs, even more porting, even more stealth, even faster rezing….even more ranged abilities…..
the only way to go is to make normal new abilities (basic melee attacks like vanilla warrior for example) and increase the stats such that they make vanilla builds obsolete and they allow hot builds to be the aoe lesser damage variants.
But even that is a dumb idea since it kills more content than it adds to the game lol.

There won’t be any new elites in gw2. At best you’d be lucky if you get a new elite skill per class….but even that seems unlikely given what we currently have.

I kill you in one gunflame, or I kill you in two.
The Tiny Yuno Sniper of Ebay [EBAY]

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

They said that new content, specifically new expansions, would give new Elite Specs. I can find comments on various sites referring to this statement but the actual quote must be on a video as it’s not pulling up.

The new elite specs will be tied to weapons new to the classes so they won’t be that difficult to add. Give thief a rifle for example, and you’ve got an elite spec for it.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Stitch.1794

Stitch.1794

They said that new content, specifically new expansions, would give new Elite Specs. I can find comments on various sites referring to this statement but the actual quote must be on a video as it’s not pulling up.

The new elite specs will be tied to weapons new to the classes so they won’t be that difficult to add. Give thief a rifle for example, and you’ve got an elite spec for it.

It was from Mo during a Reddit AMA back in March.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/48zlyd/im_mike_obrien_here_with_gw2_dev_team_ama/d0nxtgx?context=10000

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

It was from Mo during a Reddit AMA back in March.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/48zlyd/im_mike_obrien_here_with_gw2_dev_team_ama/d0nxtgx?context=10000

Thanks for the link. I knew I had seen it somewhere but I wasn’t able to pull that quote up.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.