Where are the renown hearts?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Ramoth.9064

Ramoth.9064

You remember the GW2 manifesto? They say that villagers will remember you for saving their village. These frickin’ Itzel don’t seem to remember me aside from the two from the story.

What gives? Why take away a key feature?

Posted by: saturn.4810

saturn.4810

Because Anet doesn’t give a kitten about the GW2 manifesto.

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

This topic is absurd and I think you are being funny and saturn doesn’t get it.

Ramoth.9064

Hey man, this is not absurd. Renown hearts was a ground breaking concept for mmorpgs. It made me feel like a hero and the things I do matter. Now it just feels like I’m swinging a sword again and again.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Hey man, this is not absurd. Renown hearts was a ground breaking concept for mmorpgs. It made me feel like a hero and the things I do matter. Now it just feels like I’m swinging a sword again and again.

That depends on your profession. Not all can equip a sword.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Ramoth.9064

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

they could actually add heart quest in HoT that also provide mastery point and exp. That will shung off some mastery grind feeling at launch. For example to learn glide you must finish the first heart. to learn itzel lanaguage you must help their heart to unlock.

i think this give a much smoother feeling than done a lot of event and suddenlu you can glide now….

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

Yea, haha, this is actually pretty sweet idea…. much better than zergfest all the boars with max stacked XP boost

Posted by: SirDerp.3520

SirDerp.3520

I’ve never liked heart quests. Renown hearts were actually added much later in development than you would think. The “dynamic” events are what the groundbreaking change to MMO design was all about. The focus on meta events in the new maps is sorta depressing, though.

Posted by: Reverielle.3972

Reverielle.3972

I’ve never liked heart quests. Renown hearts were actually added much later in development than you would think. The “dynamic” events are what the groundbreaking change to MMO design was all about. The focus on meta events in the new maps is sorta depressing, though.

Yes, the whole thing has gotten an extremely linear/repetitive feel to it.

I agree with the OP, there’s no real feeling at all of progression/reward in the map. You can enter a map for the first time or the 100th time, and they will still basically interact with you the same. Talk to anyone, and they basically all say the same thing to you, all the time.

For what they are though, they’re very enjoyable. But they’re missing these added elements, that make your character really feel like they’re playing a part in and having an impact in the world. Admittedly a very difficult thing to do in an MMO, but something Anet achieved to a much greater realization with their original content. Progression seems to just be in the form of map completion, and that’s hollow at best.

Posted by: caerulean.4837

caerulean.4837

While I agree that hearts started feeling repetitive after a while, I think putting even a few heart events into the new maps would’ve been a pretty good idea. This would’ve allowed them more opportunities to give us some more immersive story and lore which is what I felt the expansion lacked most. And there are ways they could have made them feel more exciting in HoT just like they made open world content feel more exciting.

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

Oh god please NO! Herding chickens, and de-grubbing gardens never made me feel like a hero. Renown Hearts were tedious at best. I am more than happy that they did not make it into the xpac.

If they do decide to add hearts then I hope they don’t make them count towards map completion.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Renown hearts were created specifically to show people where dynamic events occur. That’s it. They were added very late in the piece.

In the manifesto, Ree Sosebee was talking about the personal story and Colin was talking about dynamic events. I know this because the clarification of the manifesto released shortly after said so.

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

The thing is, dynamic events fit better with the theme of an on-going war. Orr was always dynamic events only and it was the forefront of the Pact’s offense against Zhaitan. I don’t see why it should be any different here.

Dynamic Events or Renown hearts have nothing to do with NPCs remembering you. Nothing about dynamic events prevents ANet from adding a flag that would result in different NPC dialogue if you’ve already been to an area.

In my opinion, the good part about Renown hearts was that they were a bit different from your typical MMORPG quest. Rather than “go harvest this” or “go kill this”, you had things like “WAKE UP THE DRUNK NORN”.

Posted by: Zamfir.8462

Zamfir.8462

The big difference between Orr and HoT is that the dynamic events were there in Orr, but they were working in their own micro-environment and did not require total map participation. Even Living World events, like the Marionette, didn’t require entire map participation. Lion’s arch was zone wide, but it was a separate voluntary instance.

What I’m reading in a number of simultaneous threads is that with map wide meta events, it’s difficult to “just enjoy the zone” and participate as and when.

Sadly, it seems that PvE (and inadvertently WvW) have been removed by the release of HoT only to be replaced with a huge all encompassing relentless raid.

(edited by Zamfir.8462)

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

HoT is like Orr

Though Orr had a Hub many more side events and the Meta wasn’t the only major event going on either for the map. Orr had unique mats while HoT recycles the same metals and wood, Jumping Puzzles, Unique skins, and unique loot from minor events like Quaggan Tonic. Orr had dungeons and the temples to capture as well. The zones had a uniform feel about an army charging to destroy the dragon. Orr was the best place to farm too before later updates as well.

So HoT lacks hearts because it’s a lesser version of Orr.

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

let the heart progress by doing the event itself will do. The npc will interact with you differently. selling some karma items as well.

Posted by: Kalliope.4751

Kalliope.4751

Because Anet doesn’t give a kitten about the GW2 manifesto.

This.

The manifesto was put into the trash while the contents of said trash were put into the game.

Posted by: Odyssey.6523

Odyssey.6523

Its funny, I distinctly remember on my first map complete getting to Orr and being like “Thank god there are no more heart quest to do!” I finished Orr, got 100% and moped about a bit on alts not really striving toward completion but at some point I realized I enjoyed doing the map completion and started again. By the time Silverwaste and Drytop came out I recall being disappointed that there were no renown hearts. They were a great way to apply quest to the game, could be done solo, and provided a reason to loiter a specific area. Some of them were certainly tedious, but quite a few I really liked.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I was thinking about hearts and waypoints in HoT just the other day.

It’s odd that there are waypoints set up, even though there should not have been anyone there to do that for us yet. And the HoT maps do lack that feeling of “I’ve made things better” that you can get from seeing completed hearts and talking to those NPCs.

So, what if we combine the two ideas? You get to a new area, and someone says “I’d like to try setting up a waypoint here, but it’s too dangerous right now. Can you thin out the monsters and help make the place safer while I work on it?” You fight and do things in that area for a bit, and when you’ve filled the “heart”, the waypoint appears for that character. Maybe a few minor cosmetic changes happen to the surrounding area, as well (some hearts do this already, so I know it can be done).

I’m not sure I would want this in a HoT style map, but in a more casual map it would make for a nice sense of “we’re pushing further into the new area” as you go

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Soon.5240

Soon.5240

The Hearts were replaced with Adventures — which are little more than amusement park rides and/or state fair midway games. You pays your ticket and tries and wins your goldfish.

Posted by: Takoyakii.2146

Takoyakii.2146

I’m glad it’s gone.

Posted by: Ephemiel.5694

Ephemiel.5694

Remember the Leviathan teased during the ending of the manifesto?

“Would you kindly?”

Posted by: Doug Whisper.2465

Doug Whisper.2465

Achievements are the hearts in HoT. Instead of showing the hearts above the NPCs, they are now showed on your hero panels under HoT achievements.

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

I have mixed feelings about renown hearts. On the one hand, it can be annoying when their objectives pretty much require you to get lucky and have a dynamic event going on in the area for you to complete them in an efficient manner. It’s also annoying when the objectives are vague or difficult to accomplish while playing in the “normal” way.

I like the Beetletun city heart in Queensdale because once you get the gist of where stuff is, you don’t spend a lot of time looking around or waiting on respawn. You can get a rhythm going.

Conversely, I can’t stand the other Beetletun heart, where you’re either in the water trying to aggro invulnerable crabs or killing a limited number of mobs around the area.

The main thing I like about hearts is that they give maps a sense of groundedness. I’m all for interesting dynamic events, but sometimes it’s nice to be able to hang out in part of a zone without it changing on you within the hour. Sometimes I don’t want an intense map. I just want to chill and do things at my own pace.

Or words to that effect.