Where can I go to farm mastery exp?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

I’m tired of “exploring” Heart of Thorns and constantly running into road blocks and places I can’t go or progress.

Rather than doing painfully slow events. Rather just get it out of the way with mob exp farming, since that’s all that is rewarding at the moment. It’s like a band aid, I just want to rip it off and be done with it.

Heard of the infamous spiders spawn. But apparently they has been nerfed a bit.

Where is the best place to do so now?

Posted by: Takoyakii.2146

Takoyakii.2146

Daily adventure! Gogo~

Posted by: Elric Of Melnibone.4781

Elric Of Melnibone.4781

Do the Dragon Stand meta for a whopping 130K experience or 200K if you tack on the 50% experience booster. That is not counting all the kill streak and event bonuses you can earn getting to the final event. I just earned almost 1M on ONE run. Bring some machettes for noxious pod farming when done. You will need updraft in gliding for the final event to get around.

Azure Prower.8701

Do the Dragon Stand meta for a whopping 130K experience or 200K if you tack on the 50% experience booster.

Sure. I’d love to do Anet’s over an hour long meta events.

Maybe one day when they start fixing all the client crashes.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Do the Dragon Stand meta for a whopping 130K experience or 200K if you tack on the 50% experience booster.

Funny my client isn’t crashing. Are you using the 64 bit launcher?

Azure Prower.8701

Do I look like a beta tester?

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

I had the same concerns about the 64-bit client too, but it actually has been fine so far (and I’d crashed at least a few times on the 32 bit client).

As for masteries, yeah atm DS is decent if you can spare the time to run it, and I’ve also found Adventures to offer solid XP for the time if you are good at them, especially the first time but even on daily replays. A few of them are easy enough to get gold first try once you know how (but some are Evil).

But yeah, they need better options, the current ones are either too “not GW2” like the Adventures, or just don’t offer nearly enough XP for the time invested.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

I haven’t crashed on the 64 bit client either. The 32 bit client crashed a few times after HoT release.

I do get intermittent stutters that last from a few seconds to like half a minute every few hours. Those are obviously annoying if they happen in the middle of a fight, but not as bad as a crash of course.

One – Piken Square

Ohoni.6057

Yeah, I’ve gotten a couple of those stutters too. My concern with the 64 client was that my computer is not top of the line anymore, and I was worried that “taking the hobbles off” GW2 might make it strong enough to crash the entire computer rather than just the client, but so far, so good.

done by now.”

Azure Prower.8701

Just got done with farming spiders for a couple of hours. 1 million exp per hour isn’t bad.

Posted by: Elric Of Melnibone.4781

Elric Of Melnibone.4781

So you would rather kill spiders for an hour than do the Dragon Stand Events? I only crashed twice in Dragon Stand and then I set my textures to medium and have not crashed since. So many people are complaining about how ‘grindy’ HoT is, but I find it exactly the opposite. I have more things I want to be doing than I have time for every night and I am just a few events from having over 50 mastery level.

Posted by: Osu.6307

Osu.6307

I crashed hourly before. Since installing the 64 bit client, I haven’t crashed once.

Osu

Posted by: Muusic.2967

Muusic.2967

Some must fight so that all may be free.

And yet you feel the need to bash someone for having a common question regarding how to level their masteries. What is your definition of “freedom” anyways, doing everything the way you think it should be done?

If a goal orientated person decides that they would like to be done with the leveling of their masteries it doesn’t effect your rate of leveling, change your game experience or even cost you any lost loot because they would be playing in area you don’t.

I don’t see a lot of spiteful posts against players who want to take their time leveling because they want to enjoy the content, but if there were i’m sure you would jump on that bandwagon also because at heart I think your objective is to criticize and belittle anyone you can to try to sound cool.

Be who you are and say what you feel for those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind
~Dr. Seuss

Ohoni.6057

So you would rather kill spiders for an hour than do the Dragon Stand Events?

Often enough, yes. The reason is because I can stop Spider Farming at a moment’s notice and do something else. Stop playing entirely, switch to another character to run a time-sensitive event, go to the bathroom, hit the borderlands for a vendor, whatever I need or want to be doing, and I’ll retain 100% of what I’ve earned up to that point, and when I come back, I can start at a moment’s notice and start earning again.

With Dragon’s stand, on the other hand, if I just jump in for a few minutes, play, and then leave, I’ll never get the core rewards available in that zone, and the minute-to-minute rewards would be negligible, especially given that jumping in mid-event would mean I’d likely be on a stillborn map, with very little event progress. Now Spider Farming is not as fun, minute to minute, as Dragon Stand can be, but the difference is not that huge, actually.

I’ve done Dragon’s Stand twice now, and intend to do it many times more, but there are a lot of cases where I sort of want to do it, but just can’t commit my next two hours to the task (or I could, but the next round doesn’t start for another hour, and I can’t commit three).

I’m much happier that I unlocked the 60+ mastery levels that I did while Spider Farming, rather than having to run dragon’s Stand enough to achieve the same results.

done by now.”

Posted by: Squish.3276

Squish.3276

WOW! All I read was people going back and forth like politics. Why is their so much negative comments? If you don’t have something useful for the guy then you should not just come out with rude comments.

Posted by: UnbentMars.9126

UnbentMars.9126

DS has consistently gotten me 1.5-2 million exp each time I’ve gotten on a successful map. For ~2 hours, that’s pretty good and you get great loot.

Rev, Ele, Burnzerker
“Beware he who would deny you access to information,
for in his heart he dreams himself your master.”

Posted by: CorrynnStarr.7942

CorrynnStarr.7942

SNIP…

Now Spider Farming is not as fun, minute to minute, as Dragon Stand can be, but the difference is not that huge, actually.

SNIP…

I agree… I would even go so far as to say what is the difference between killing thousands of mob on the same 3 paths in DS vs killing thousands of mobs in VB(spider runs)… Honestly, there really is no difference, its all a long grind designed to steal time away from you.

If you crash or get DC’d during a DS run, then game over, you lost all your time, loot AND xp… If you disconnect during a spider run… boom, nothin happens… you already got your xp and loot, no time is lost. Dont even bring fun factor into it, as there is no difference between grinding mobs in DS vs grinding mobs in VB… at the end of the day, your butt is still grinding mobs.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

SNIP…

Now Spider Farming is not as fun, minute to minute, as Dragon Stand can be, but the difference is not that huge, actually.

SNIP…

I agree… I would even go so far as to say what is the difference between killing thousands of mob on the same 3 paths in DS vs killing thousands of mobs in VB(spider runs)… Honestly, there really is no difference, its all a long grind designed to steal time away from you.

If you crash or get DC’d during a DS run, then game over, you lost all your time, loot AND xp… If you disconnect during a spider run… boom, nothin happens… you already got your xp and loot, no time is lost. Dont even bring fun factor into it, as there is no difference between grinding mobs in DS vs grinding mobs in VB… at the end of the day, your butt is still grinding mobs.

How do you lose your time that you’ve already spent to gain the loot and XP up to the time you DC?

Posted by: SirDerp.3520

SirDerp.3520

The beta tester comment was a bit snarky, but I get where you are coming from. However, the 64bit client really has worked fantastically. This is one of those moments when you just forget your pride, suck it up, and go for it. Hopefully, Anet will get this officially implemented soon, but the struggle isn’t worth it to wait.

Ohoni.6057

How do you lose your time that you’ve already spent to gain the loot and XP up to the time you DC?

Because in DS, large packets of that XP and loot are tied into completing events, completing the meta, cleaning up after beating the boss. With spider farming, you get maximum reward for each mob. Basically you got more mob XP off of spider farming, you would only get comparable XP out of DS if your map was pushing the meta successfully, completing events, rewarding event XP as well, and that means you’re locked into the long term progression of the map.

done by now.”

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I see. So a possible solution exists, which works for lots and lots of people, but you refuse to use it and then complain that’s something’s happening. So noted.

Plenty of people using it and having a positive result. Maybe you should rethink that attitude.

Posted by: Alteraphim.4629

Alteraphim.4629

I see. So a possible solution exists, which works for lots and lots of people, but you refuse to use it and then complain that’s something’s happening. So noted.

Plenty of people using it and having a positive result. Maybe you should rethink that attitude.

For a workaround that requires ~10 minutes of work his stance is pretty salty, but it’s his game time.

Posted by: Chobits.2430

Chobits.2430

So OP, you come here and state that you are being roadblocked from content primarily because your 32bit client crashes and therefore hindering your ability to do meta events for experience.

First, you can do just about everything in HoT with very few mastery ranks which take almost no time at all to earn for the first couple tiers. I see people doing DS Meta with less than 10 mastery ranks. Furthermore, you do not need max masteries to explore or even get map completions.

Second, you complain about the 32bit client crashing yet you reject the best and only solution available.

It sounds like you are really miserable and do not even like this game. It does not appear that you even like the mastery system or by extension any sort of progression system. Since you have rejected the solutions, perhaps it is time to find something else to play.

Ayrilana.1396

Because in DS, large packets of that XP and loot are tied into completing events, completing the meta, cleaning up after beating the boss. With spider farming, you get maximum reward for each mob. Basically you got more mob XP off of spider farming, you would only get comparable XP out of DS if your map was pushing the meta successfully, completing events, rewarding event XP as well, and that means you’re locked into the long term progression of the map.

No. The largest amount of XP that you earn in DS is from killing mobs and not the events.

Posted by: Hepan.2709

Hepan.2709

1. OP do you actually know what a beta product is compared to a finished product? I have my doubts.

2. If any of you think pre nerf spiders and DS meta xp are anywhere in the same galaxy you’re not doing it right. Pre-nerf spiders gave 450-500k per 10 minutes of farm with boosts. The loots wasnt bad either. You got loads of t5 and 6 venom sacs, green/blue weapons, I got 5-10 rares per run usually and even some named exotics.
Also worth mentioning is that if you have Nuhoc hunting you are going to end with more map currency then you will every need probably.

Posted by: Muusic.2967

Muusic.2967

No. The largest amount of XP that you earn in DS is from killing mobs and not the events.

Specifically non event related mobs yes. And with disconnects and failed attempts this meta isn’t worth the time of day to me because even if I do manage to get into a successful map i’m left with an empty feeling after having just spent 20+ minutes with SOME BOZO SCREAMING ORDERS in map chat.

Be who you are and say what you feel for those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind
~Dr. Seuss

Ayrilana.1396

Specifically non event related mobs yes. And with disconnects and failed attempts this meta isn’t worth the time of day to me because even if I do manage to get into a successful map i’m left with an empty feeling after having just spent 20+ minutes with SOME BOZO SCREAMING ORDERS in map chat.

Event mobs give XP too. You can group up with another player as a fail-safe to get back into the map as well as take precautions to reduce the likelihood of getting a d/c.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

I’ve killed plenty of event mobs that didn’t give xp.

Ayrilana.1396

I’ve killed plenty of event mobs that didn’t give xp.

Well the infinite spawning ones when doing the blighted towers don’t but that’s to be expected.

Manasa Devi.7958

Why is that to be expected in the open world? Every mob everywhere has an infinitely repeating respawn. I was doing one of those events solo, which doesn’t give a very elevated kill rate compared to just roaming around the areas. Wasted precious minutes of a newfangled experience booster on it.

edit: actually, I was thinking of another event, not a blighted towers one. Something in VB, near the noble’s WP.

(edited by Manasa Devi.7958)

Ayrilana.1396

Why is that to be expected in the open world? Every mob everywhere has an infinitely repeating respawn. I was doing one of those events solo, which doesn’t give a very elevated kill rate compared to just roaming around the areas. Wasted precious minutes of a newfangled experience booster on it.

You know exactly what I meant by infinitely respawning. There’s a vast difference between regular mobs that spawn and those that spawn during events like blighting tower, skelk in TD, and Chak event in TD.

The reason why you’re not getting much XP solo is because you’re doing it solo. The more people that you have increases the numbers that spawn as well as the tier of the mobs.

Manasa Devi.7958

It’s nonsense not to award people for what they’re doing. If huge amounts of mobs infinitely respawning on a big zerg would give too much XP too easily, perhaps that’s a sign that it’s rubbish gameplay to begin with. Soloing an infinite spawn event that lasts minutes and which is not easy at all shouldn’t be a waste of time. That’s definitely rubbish gameplay.

Ayrilana.1396

It’s nonsense not to award people for what they’re doing. If huge amounts of mobs infinitely respawning on a big zerg would give too much XP too easily, perhaps that’s a sign that it’s rubbish gameplay to begin with. Soloing an infinite spawn event that lasts minutes and which is not easy at all shouldn’t be a waste of time. That’s definitely rubbish gameplay.

Does that event have a way to prevent it from completing so you have fast, infinitely respawning mobs?

Manasa Devi.7958

It was an event where something had to be defended for several minutes. I don’t remember exactly which one. You either lose or you fight for no more than that given time.

Ayrilana.1396

It was an event where something had to be defended for several minutes. I don’t remember exactly which one. You either lose or you fight for no more than that given time.

In that case, I agree that it should have given XP.

Posted by: SleepingDragon.1596

SleepingDragon.1596

Wish this mastery exp point would’ve been fixed by now. It’s a mindless grind of farming spiders which is semi nerfed or repeating the same events again and again… Still thinks this “HoT” expansion is a HOT mess right now. Just doing the daily chest login and sometimes casual daily fractals and logging off.

-S o S-

Posted by: Teaser.2843

Teaser.2843

I haven’t crashed on the 64 bit client either. The 32 bit client crashed a few times after HoT release.

I do get intermittent stutters that last from a few seconds to like half a minute every few hours. Those are obviously annoying if they happen in the middle of a fight, but not as bad as a crash of course.

It wont run on a 32 bit windows install and I am not reinstalling until I have a hd failure