Where to Revenants stand in RP?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Tyrannical.9348

Tyrannical.9348

I’m not sure whether this is the correct forum or not, but as a cautious roleplayer I’m interested to see what the RP community things about the Revenant in terms of it’s feasibility as a character’s profession, what problems might arise, and how to ensure that it’s fun for everyone.

Naturally, when a delicate kind of force is put forth into the player’s hands, people don’t know how to gauge the levels of power they actually command, and Revenant seems especially fragile territory.

It reminds me of ‘Incarnates’ from City of Heroes (ad to a lesser extent Time Manipulation and Gravity Control). What are the limits to what a player can do or achieve with this kind of power? and how will it affect the RP community at large?

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

The class is simply a spiritual channeler.
They hone energy from the mist itself. Their limit is based on their gear and experience, just like any other class.
Rytlock is the first, and he couldn’t have been a Rev for too long, so he not going to be as powerful as say a Dragon or something. Same rules that are bound to any other class that draw energy from other sources.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

What Knighthonor said, for starters.

Second, I would point out that you’re calling up “Legends”. Not the person’s spirit, but the legend they made, and the imprint it left on the mists. There are usually variations on any legend and different stories surrounding it, so some variations can easily be hand-waved away. And if someone wants to RP calling up some other legend, I’m sure it’s okay as long as it’s kept within reason.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I don’t think we have enough lore yet to get a good canon range for what Revenants can do. Though I tend to figure out my character’s power level based on how various skills work in PvE and what the traits allow, then add in compensating disadvantages (my thief, for instance, is supremely agile and charming, but has almost no resistance to mind attacks such as mesmers use, beyond his being perceptive enough to have a chance to track the real mesmer in the clones crowd. He can’t really sense magic either, so auras etc are beyond his ken).

Some of it grows out of how the devs describe the profession concept, some from in-game NPC examples. The story of how Rytlock got the powers will affect how my rev gets his/hers.

As to power level, I will always err on the side of less power rather than more. I just don’t like Monty Haul games One LARP GM once said I was the only player he knew who would rules-lawyer to put herself in a worse position. So I like Palador’s reading of it.

My nebulous RP concept thus far is a sylvari using the imprint of the Legends to mask his/her own mental signature and confuse away Mordremoth’s influence. So a hunk of any power gained from channeling is diverted to that task rather than to combat power. I do like to have limits!

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

My backstory is that I was previously killed, but an unknown spirit allowed me escape the Underworld to be reborn as a lv 1 Revenant. I was forced to start life over in Divinity’s Reach as a Street Rat. There, I was befriended by a 12 year old girl with the power of true sight. In the slums, we watched each other’s backs, until one night she was kidnapped by rogue Seraph and an angry quaggan. All I have left of her was her tattered clothes that was left on the haystack behind the stable. She was the only family I had in this new life, and was ripped away from me. I shall have my revenge…

I MISS YOU JESS!!!!

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: CaptainVanguard.4925

CaptainVanguard.4925

All I can say is there is going to be a LARGE number of Mary Sue’s that claim they have the divine power of Shiro Tagachi and a number of other named NPCs like Gwen etc etc.

Revenants will be the “bane” of good RP for a while since the amount of god emoters are going to sky rocket because of them.

I am not saying the concept is bad, nor do I think the idea of using the power to summon ancestors wisdom and use it to empower yourself is a bad concept for rp.

I just think people are going to abuse it to “know famous npcs” and basically glorify themselves aloooot.

Posted by: Trise.2865

Trise.2865

A Revenant calls upon the power of the mists, of memories and emotions, but does not necessarily call upon the properties of The Mists, i.e. pseudo-time travel, unparalleled durability and elasticity, fractal and fluxed location, etc..

From a technical standpoint, there are a few things we know about The Mists that will limit what a Revenant can or can’t do. The Mists are malleable, but also incredibly elastic. Rifts between this world and those are unstable at best, often closing immediately after forming, unless a tremendous power is applied to stabilize it (i.e. the combined power of the human gods). A Revenant could (and does) open a rift in space, but the “veil” would (and does) reseal itself instantly.

We also know that The Mists are not a single dimension, but a fluxed amalgamation of key events and memories frozen in time. While some portions of The Mists are more stable than others (the Hall of Heroes, for example, where PvP and WvW take place) without that same tremendous power mentioned earlier, there’s no guarantee one would connect to the desired portion without a powerful energy to lock on to. This also means the Revenant would not be more or less powerful inside The Mists – in the Hall of Heroes or exploring the Fractals – because the spirits from which they draw are still within their “home” dimensions, no closer or farther away than the “real” world.

Similarly, a Revenant is different from a Ritualist, whose communion with spirits shaped their core emotions and attributes into bound forms. The Revenant communes more directly with spirits from The Mists, channeling specific beings through their body drawing on their power, but also inviting their influence. Both Jalis and Mallyx can be heard speaking to the Revenant when he channels them.

From this we can draw two conclusions: The spirits channeled by the Revenant must be powerful enough to breach the Mists on their own (though not necessarily enough to escape The Mists), and these spirits must form connections to the Revenant via willing contract. For example, a Revenant can draw upon Jalis Ironhammer, a powerful hero and friend to all races, but could not draw upon The Maw, a mindless entity whose only drive is to consume. In some cases, the spirit may have its own ulterior motives, such as Mallyx, whose “services” are powerful, but exact a toll of sorts from the Rev.

A Revenant could not, for example, commune with his/her dead relatives. The Rev wouldn’t know how to find them in The Mists without a guide and unless they had dramatic impact on history, not just the Rev his/herself or a small community, would not be strong enough to reach out and channel. Revenants could, theoretically, allow their senses to “wander” The Mists, listening to any Spirits who wish to call out, but again, unless a spirit and its desire to contact the Rev was particularly powerful, it would be simply background noise; voices in a crowd.

Hope this helps.

(edited by Trise.2865)

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

I like to know how Revenants came to be (lorewise).
Either they just magically appeared out of nowhere or Rytlock somehow found the time to personally teach every revenant in Tyria in just a few days.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I like to know how Revenants came to be (lorewise).
Either they just magically appeared out of nowhere or Rytlock somehow found the time to personally teach every revenant in Tyria in just a few days.

I think that PART of what is needed to be a Revenant is already known. Or, rather, parts. A bit here, a bit there, but nobody ever brought them all together.

Rytlock’s time in the mists gave him the missing parts of the puzzle, and showed him how to put it all together. When he returns, he can show that to the ones that already know most of it, and they can quickly get up and running. After that, they can go from teaching parts of it to teaching the whole thing.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

I intend on making my revenant a norn and I’d have him go through this scenario in that he was once a guardian but after fearing that he may not be strong enough to join the effort against Mordremoth, he sought the Spirits of the Wild for answers (would probably go with either Wolf or Raven). He’s probably undergo his form of a spiritual journey and at some point encounter visions of heroes and legends before him. He’s use what he has learned as examples and hopes that with this newfound knowledge, he can help turn the tide of the battle alongside likeminded individuals.

If there is one thing I can guess about Revenants is that since they have the power to tap into the Mists directly, something that is very rare, they should know better not to take this lightly. He may be a norn but he won’t be foolish enough to brag that he has the strength of Jora (assuming she is among the select legends)

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

(edited by Malkavian.4516)

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

I’m not sure whether this is the correct forum or not, but as a cautious roleplayer I’m interested to see what the RP community things about the Revenant in terms of it’s feasibility as a character’s profession, what problems might arise, and how to ensure that it’s fun for everyone.

Naturally, when a delicate kind of force is put forth into the player’s hands, people don’t know how to gauge the levels of power they actually command, and Revenant seems especially fragile territory.

It reminds me of ‘Incarnates’ from City of Heroes (ad to a lesser extent Time Manipulation and Gravity Control). What are the limits to what a player can do or achieve with this kind of power? and how will it affect the RP community at large?

Other professions draw their power from various sources and elements to do “cool stuff”, so I’m wondering why you equate being powered by the mists as demigod/incarnate/“above the rest” status?

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Tyrannical.9348

Other professions draw their power from various sources and elements to do “cool stuff”, so I’m wondering why you equate being powered by the mists as demigod/incarnate/“above the rest” status?

I didn’t say they are above the rest, I never even stated they are incarnates of the gods or whatever, all I said was this is a new unknown force that’s delicate to handle. We hardly know much about the mists, let alone how this profession can use the powers of the mists to influence reality.

We’ve witnessed they can call forth the powers of ancient legends, disrupt the fabric of reality, and I suspect more questions and fewer answers to appear in the future when they show off the class some more, that’s why I’d like to see where people stand, so the RP community can address the situation and come to an agreed decision on how much this profession can influence the balance of power.

Swagger.1459

I didn’t say they are above the rest, I never even stated they are incarnates of the gods or whatever, all I said was this is a new unknown force that’s delicate to handle. We hardly know much about the mists, let alone how this profession can use the powers of the mists to influence reality.

We’ve witnessed they can call forth the powers of ancient legends, disrupt the fabric of reality, and I suspect more questions and fewer answers to appear in the future when they show off the class some more, that’s why I’d like to see where people stand, so the RP community can address the situation and come to an agreed decision on how much this profession can influence the balance of power.

You drew a parallel between Revenants with mist powers and incarnate demigod status.

The problem is that you are applying real world logic and understanding to your role playing in a fantasy setting. You are mentally comparing things like snow storms vs. gravity and coming to the conclusion that “well, snow storms are less powerful than the gravitational forces of out planet” and “omg Revenants must be so powerful because on earth we cannot even see or talk to our dead ancestors”. If you keep applying earthly logic to fit into tyria logic then you will never effectively roleplay.

Edit- Also, sources of power in tyria do not matter for our characters because they can only use and manipulate these things on a micro and limited scale. The Revenant is not going to be like Aragorn controlling thousands of the ghosts to decimate entire armies of bad guys. Think of Revenants like Aragorn with a couple of ghostly drinking buddies who get in bar brawls and kick the kitten of all the overweight and out of shape locals who guzzle beer and smoke cigarets.

(edited by Swagger.1459)

Posted by: Chista.4750

Chista.4750

Of what I have seen of revenant so far is that they have spent time in the mists, depending on how you want to play that, you might have limited recollection, or perhaps remember all sorts of weird and potentially illogical places, or even events from long long ago with just a slightly different twist. This might be confusing and might cause your character to argue about how, for instancem the foefire happened. Perhaps in your recollection “Those idiot Charr” tried to use Magdaer as a fuel source for their searing cauldrons or such things.

Also, the channeling of legends causes them to talk in your head! If that’d not a reason to play a character with a lessened sense of self or slight insanity issues, I don’t know what is!

As for mechanically, you could either technically “be” the legend you are chanelling, making you for instance mallyx in a body not quite his own and thus slightly less powerful than the actual boss wass, and possibly upset about that, or you could just be the same person flooded with ideas about how to do certain things even though you never really used to do them before.

Plenty of ways to be on par with the other members of your group really, just takes some fitting in and not really wanting to be an indestructible demigod yourself (or maybe wanting to be but being upset that you aren’t?) Who knows, the sky is the limit right?

(edited by Chista.4750)

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

The class is simply a spiritual channeler.
They hone energy from the mist itself. Their limit is based on their gear and experience, just like any other class.
Rytlock is the first, and he couldn’t have been a Rev for too long, so he not going to be as powerful as say a Dragon or something. Same rules that are bound to any other class that draw energy from other sources.

To be fair, time works differently in the mists, so Rytlock could actually have been one for a VERY long time. Considering what he does in the trailer I’d say it’s fairly clear that he has been.

We won’t really know the impact of the class on RP until we know the exact lore behind it. How does one become a Revenant? If Rytlock is the first, why are there suddenly so very many of them appearing immediately on his heels?

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Tyrannical.9348

You drew a parallel between Revenants with mist powers and incarnate demigod status.

…blah blah, et cetera et cetera…

wrong wrong wrooooong…

I drew similarities between two incidents where a new feature was brought to a game where people didn’t know the backstory nor did they understand the extent of this content’s impact on others.

I am NOT comparing Revenants to Incarnates, I am comparing GW2 to CoH, in the context of new features vs the RP community. Please read things more carefully before you get up on your high horse making accusations about what train of thought you seem to think I have here, because I did say TWICE that I’m not relating Revenants to Demigods.

I’m comparing similar situations in the RP gaming community, that’s all, don’t think too much on it because it’s that simple. I’m sorry if your argument is invalid now, it looks like you worked hard for it, such a shame it was wasted by you missing the point…

PS: for future reference; being condescending on a help thread, one of the easiest ways to paint a target on yourself.

(edited by Tyrannical.9348)

Tyrannical.9348

Anyway! moving on…

seems most people seem to think that people will be reasonable, save for the mary sue’s who think they have a direct connection to the legend they’re channeling.

I don’t expect people to outright ban people for being Revenants in RP, but what do people suggest as precautions?

Posted by: NoxInfernus.2361

NoxInfernus.2361

For lack of a more detailed reasoning by Anet for the existence of the Rev, I have decided to imagine my future Revenant as a being similar to Razah from GW1.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Razah

This is subject to change should more detailed lore develop.

(edited by NoxInfernus.2361)

Kal Spiro.9745

Anyway! moving on…

seems most people seem to think that people will be reasonable, save for the mary sue’s who think they have a direct connection to the legend they’re channeling.

I don’t expect people to outright ban people for being Revenants in RP, but what do people suggest as precautions?

I honestly have no idea what your asking here. What are you expecting to happen, or are concerned might happen? How does one take precautions for RP?

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist

Swagger.1459

wrong wrong wrooooong…

I drew similarities between two incidents where a new feature was brought to a game where people didn’t know the backstory nor did they understand the extent of this content’s impact on others.

I am NOT comparing Revenants to Incarnates, I am comparing GW2 to CoH, in the context of new features vs the RP community. Please read things more carefully before you get up on your high horse making accusations about what train of thought you seem to think I have here, because I did say TWICE that I’m not relating Revenants to Demigods.

I’m comparing similar situations in the RP gaming community, that’s all, don’t think too much on it because it’s that simple. I’m sorry if your argument is invalid now, it looks like you worked hard for it, such a shame it was wasted by you missing the point…

PS: for future reference; being condescending on a help thread, one of the easiest ways to paint a target on yourself.

Bolded the important parts of your op.

Players knew the backstory to incarnates… “Incarnate is a special origin originally not available to players, although heroes and villains who gain the attention of the Well of the Furies may gain Incarnate powers. Incarnates are humans who have been exposed to the Well of the Furies in some way, empowering them with the powers of the gods themselves. As such, they are substantially more powerful than most other superbeings.”

You did not and were not asking about the “back story”, you basically wanted to know how the revenant “fits in” as a profession and then kept mentioning power level related things in your last two paragraphs. Your post is worded in such a way that it is easy for readers to assume you are talking about revenants wielding superior power levels compared to other professions and not in terms of how to deal with “context of new features”. We currently don’t know how exactly a character becomes a Revenant, but you equated their ability to draw from powers of the mists with characters who have been given godlike powers and are “substantially more powerful than most other superbeings”.

I’m not being condescending, I’m actually trying to be helpful.

I think it would be best to edit your original post to match your intended questions.

Posted by: Chista.4750

Chista.4750

I think there’s not really any way to take a precaution against… puppies… in RP.

Godmods happen in all kinds of RP and from what I’m gathering this is what you fear will happen. Regardless of class though, any class can RP themselves to be OP or near demigods, I suppose that whatever rules apply to current godmods apply to revenants. I haven’t had the pleasure of running into any RPing communities in game and mostly busy myself with creative writing rather than in-game RPs. In the end it is up to the writer’s own creativity to fit their power level to be on par with that of other players, lest they be forced to solo Teakettle to lay force to their claim of ultimate superiority…

As for how they all emerge at the same time, perhaps this is due to a “doorway” that was created either by Rytlock, or, more likely, the combined force of all stray souls in the mists (to compensate for the fact that a million revenants did not burst out sooner). Prior to this event there may not have been an escape, if you entered the mists and were not in any way exceptional, you just had no way out. The variable flow of time in the mists may well even justify varying lengths of time spent in the mists, or perhaps being born there. Or perhaps some people did get out sooner and doorways are temporary, but those that got out sooner found themselves needing to remain hidden, because they scared the people who could not place their strange abilities, a prominent character such as Rytlock, with all his ties and fame, may just have been what they needed to be able to step out of the shadows, without fear of persecution for their alien abilities.

I strongly suspect more background lore will be provided by, or perhaps even before, the launch of HoT. A game with lore as tight as this will probably long have had an explanation shelved, and is just waiting to seed it into the game or blast it out in a blog post.

Posted by: VergilDeZaniah.3295

VergilDeZaniah.3295

To me it’s easy: my Revenant will be my GW1 main character.

After defeating Reiko Murakami, my character travelled to Elona but a strange portal opened and he was sucked into it. After spending months in the Mists, reliving the same events again and again (his first meeting with Jalis, his Ascension, Mallyx’s battle…) another portal opened. He jumped in it, believing he’d arrive in the Tyrian he left, but actually landed 250 years later. Upon arrival, he sees burning houses and centaurs attacking villagers: with the powers he harnessed in in the Mists, he will help these poor people.

Guild leader of The Nephilim of Elysium.

Son of Elonia.

Posted by: Kulvar.1239

Kulvar.1239

I was previously killed, but an unknown spirit allowed me escape the Underworld to be reborn as a lv 1 Revenant.

That’s not how it work.
It’s not a world of warcraft deathknight.
It’s not a world of warcraft “everything resurrectable (unless for the plot)”.

You must learn to use magic and it take ages.
Everyone is born with the ability to wield magic.
There’s no special requirements.

Revenant are just modern Ritualist from GW1.

Ritualists channel other-worldly energies that summon allies from the void and employ mystic binding rituals that bend those allies to the Ritualist’s will.
Hello energies of the mist

The energy they channel drives Ritualist skills which enhance the deadliness of an ally’s weapon and wreak havoc on an enemy’s health.
Hello buff skills

Ritualists are masters of spirits, able to call upon them in battle for aid.
Hello echoes of mighty heroes and demons in the mists.

The Ritualist can also use the remains of the dead to defend the living-not by reanimating corpses as a Necromancer would, but through the ritual use of urns and ashes.
Hello necromancer-like skills.

Posted by: Indrea.7803

Indrea.7803

Mesmer too use the power of the Mist or raw energy (ether or chaos energy) and can even change the very fabric of reality…do you think they share the same source of power?
I think Revenat power is a fusion between Ritualist and Mesmer.

(edited by Indrea.7803)

Kal Spiro.9745

I was previously killed, but an unknown spirit allowed me escape the Underworld to be reborn as a lv 1 Revenant.

That’s not how it work.

Ritualists channel other-worldly energies that summon allies from the void and employ mystic binding rituals that bend those allies to the Ritualist’s will.

The energy they channel drives Ritualist skills which enhance the deadliness of an ally’s weapon and wreak havoc on an enemy’s health.
Hello buff skills

The Ritualist can also use the remains of the dead to defend the living-not by reanimating corpses as a Necromancer would, but through the ritual use of urns and ashes.

Wow, the class hasn’t been released yet, and has no official lore, and yet there are actually already people telling other people how it works and what they can and cannot RP for their own personal character.

This is more akin to what I would be worried about than what someone might actually do with their character.

Tyrannical.9348

That’s not how it work.

Hello buff skills

Wow, the class hasn’t been released yet, and has no official lore, and yet there are actually already people telling other people how it works and what they can and cannot RP for their own personal character.

This is more akin to what I would be worried about than what someone might actually do with their character.

That’s the point.

Nobody knows exactly how it works, but people know how it doesn’t work at least, case in point; having tea time with Mallyx in the Mists every Sunday like you’re old buddies. It;s to ensure people have some scope of understanding and what not to do so you don’t overstep the boundaries of plausibility and end up accidentally flicking on the godmode switch.

If you walk into a bar and say “I am the ancestor of Shiro Tagachi” then you’re instantly assuming the position for a good old butt-kicking, just because you misinterpreted channeling Shiro Tagachi as being directly related to the fella.

As much as you may dislike it, sharing your opinion on what could possibly be a canon-breaking or lore-defying concept actually helps people.

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

I’d envision it being something like this.

You know how kids would attempt to play pretend in that they play the part of their favorite hero/monster from legend. I picture Revenants to be similar in that they relive the memories of the past legend’s deeds to the point where emulating their fighting techniques and powers in battle almost as easily as normal fighting.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

I would expect the professions attraction to uber-tragic emo types would be more frustrating than godmode players.

Posted by: Aethgar.1784

Aethgar.1784

For my own part, my necromancer character, descended from my gw1 ritualist, has been trying to find better ways to bind forces than simply forming flesh into constructs. For a long time I rped as a Spectral Knight spec of necro both in how I traited him and how I played him. Right now, his necro self has been identity repaired, and his name saved in anticipation of the new profession.
You see, he finally succeeded – he called up Shi Xun, my ritualist, his ancestor, who is making impish suggestions for better ways to do things to Isambard.
In short? I’ll be rping as a modern version of a ritualist.
Because I loved that profession.

Tarnished Coast| House Corvidae
Lord Ahrwit Valdyr/Isambard FitzValdyr/many more…

Posted by: Genraku.4051

Genraku.4051

Also worth noting that there could be a difference between what your character uses in combat and what they are actually capable of. You could think of it like the difference between how hard you could throw a baseball and how hard you could throw it without injuring yourself. how much are they holding back to avoid injuring themselves or their allies?
Now granted there is potential for storybreaker powers in this but it also opens a door for exploring what a character can do that for whatever reason cannot be done in the chaos of combat. Maybe a certain ability requires too much concentration/windup/fancydresses, maybe they have to spend effort keeping it from eating your buddies, maybe it just turns their teeth purple. It could even be that they can ONLY do neat stuff in combat and out of it they’re just a regular fellow .

Posted by: Trise.2865

Trise.2865

Think about it like this: The Legends to the Revenant are like Jarvis to Iron Man. They follow his commands (most of the time), but they’re the ones doing all the work… and they know that.

Posted by: Caeledh.5437

Caeledh.5437

All the replies to the effect that revenants are not super powerful are right of course, but I look at that glorious image of Rytlock conjuring the ghostly dragon and can so see that going to some peoples’ heads.

Not mine though

When it comes to RP some people will take liberties. It’s just the way of things. If you cross paths with an individual who thinks he is a dragon in an Asura’s body, RP that he’s just insane. However you’d that. Hopefully politely.

Posted by: Blanche Neige.7241

Blanche Neige.7241

So, Rytlock is the first revenant and he’ll teach others how to become revenants themselves.

RP wise, this raise an amusing paradox.

When a new revenant PC will go through his/her personal story, he/she will meet Rytlock BEFORE he became a revenant…