Which class for solo HoT?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Sylent.3165

Sylent.3165

I already have reaper and druid but was looking for a new class.

I have decided between berserker in marauder gear, using axe/sword and longbow. Feels pretty strong and does good damage.

Or a daredevil in full carrion armor. The high helps a lot and dual daggers provides fantastic condition damage. Plus all the dodges

I didn’t test either in pve as I don’t have either leveled but only have tomes for one character and could only test each in the mists. But I was looking for opinions on which of these two would survive soloing the jungle better in both events and solo roaming?

Posted by: Animism.9803

Animism.9803

I don’t think either would have the versatility of other classes, in terms of traversing the map at a faster speed and ease of killing mobs.

Elementalist is my favourite by a mile, but it’s more effort.

Revenent just trolls through all PvE content. Perm swiftness and a ridiculous amount of evades.

Meta-builds help a lot!

As you say for ‘surviving solo’, I would recommend Rev, as it’s a class which is pretty hard to die on when used to it.

Posted by: Sylent.3165

Sylent.3165

I am personally not concerned about getting from point a to point b as fast as possible, I am concerned more about which is fun which is why I had broken it down to the classes I have fun with, I just was not sure which would have an easier time in the new maps

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Neither should be a problem. I run a s/s longbow berserker and a staff short bow daredevil, both with berserker stats and have had no problem with meta completion, map completion or just running around.

Posted by: Morte.5916

Morte.5916

I just put my seventh toon through (daredevil ongoing, revenant to come). I would say the most effective was ranger (not druid that’s less dps but more group buffs) because the range/melee mix is very practical. The second best was power necro (hadn’t unlocked reaper yet). The thing these two have going for them is flexibility — the have melee and range, they can use weapon skills for regular mobs and utilities for veterans and elites for champs, they’re multispeed. This counts for a lot in open world.

I wasn’t impressed by solo power warrior at all, I think that’s a class looking for a group to buff with banners and phalanx strength. Your condi version sounds like a better idea.

Daredevil is working well in a power build with staff. It’s all about the blinding from staff 4 — that’s how you fight tendril after tendril (or whatever) and keep the full dps on instead of dodging continuously (but I still dodge plenty). Power dagger has not worked so well.

Other thoughts:
Tempest: not bad at all. Survived better than I expected, and dps is wonderful.
Power guardian/dragonhunter: ok, solid dps but sheer number/frequency of open world foes uses up the blocks and cleans which are its strength in set piece dungeon fights.
Condi engineer, : ok, lacks defence against bosses immune to its many blinds, great dps at range. Big problem is you can do fatal damage with one fire grenade but that will take 10 seconds, so you tend to actually kill things by spamming grenade 1 (which is all power/vuln) on your condi build.
Power mesmer: painful, hits like a wet noodle, another buffing class balanced for groups in PvE. I think condi might be a little better but nothing to write home about.

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

I really don’t feel my berserker solo, in berserker gear. Marauder is +Power, +Precision, +Vitality, and +Ferocity so won’t be much different, the problem isn’t staying alive, it’s just a bit boring, as has been said with banners it’s a buffing class. Having said that I was told that burn warrior is excellent fun so maybe I just need a new build.
http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Berserker_-_LB_S/T_Maximum_Condition

There is condi DD build on metabattle. Sounds fun. What it’s like solo in HoT I don’t know, some of those mobs will trample you to death really quickly whilst others will root you to death. Very much a playstyle thing I think.
http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Daredevil_-_Condi_Roamer

Another vote for a reaper, the necro elite. It’s faceroll fun. Those pocket raptors everyone hates? Stand in them middle of them, drop a well, pop rise. Laugh manically but not for long as it’s quickly over and you’re stood in the middle of a pile of dead raptor minis.

Love my mesmer. Second toon (after guard) to complete all HoT maps. Shatter build, berserker gear is pretty good dps and nice access to group speed boost for when the dps isn’t quite good enough or for when you want to get to the next mob asap cos the dps is great.

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!

Posted by: AliamRationem.5172

AliamRationem.5172

Daredevil is my favorite class for open world HoT, but I run staff with p/p most of the time. Sure, you can use staff 4 to melee enemies that’ll otherwise force you to dodge out of the way of their CC, but staff 4 does poor damage. If you’re up against a group, you’re probably better off just dodging out and immediately vaulting back in. For single targets, just fire off a round or two of pistol 3 and that should take care of it without the need to close to melee range.

With staff I tend to use staff 2 more than 4. It does high damage and applies weakness, so I can often hang in at melee range using weakness + the 15% heal on crit from the crit strikes line to maintain my health. Enemies drop quickly if you can stay in melee range and stick to the more damaging attacks (AA, #2, #5).

In any event, if you like thief, I highly recommend the class for open world HoT. It’s fast, powerful, and you can take on almost anything (and escape just about anything when things turn sour!). It may just be that I’m better at thief than my other classes, but it’s easily my strongest class in the jungle.

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

I have decided between berserker in marauder gear, using axe/sword and longbow. Feels pretty strong and does good damage.

Consider trying out the rifle instead of the longbow. The longbow doesn’t take fullest advantage of Maurader’s stats (it’s more of a condi or hybrid weap), whereas the rifle would.

~EW