Who remembers Trion and archage?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Baconplease.1657

Baconplease.1657

This whole situation reminds me of how Trion tried to kitten their playerbase with archeage with false promises and lying to the community. Guess what happened?

They got caught and now archeage is dead within 6 months of release and Trions company reputation is forever smeared for trying to pull the covers over the heads of their players

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Trion wasn’t the developer of Archage, so please stop that lie OP.

They were only trying to recover money spent in producing the western version. The developers are not them. Rift was developed by Trion, not Archeage…

Baconplease.1657

I never said trion was the developer of archeage. They were however, the Publisher. The face of the company. It was their own fault.

Knighthonor.4061

I never said trion was the developer of archeage. They were however, the Publisher. The face of the company. It was their own fault.

How the kitten was it their fault? The developers controlled all that. Trion just hosted the game in the west.

Baconplease.1657

How the kitten was it their fault? The developers controlled all that. Trion just hosted the game in the west.

The lack of communication with the players, Scapes (community leader) lieing to the players and getting caught wall all Trion.

Posted by: Pretty Pixie.8603

Pretty Pixie.8603

What’s a Trion? is it up for prepurchase?

j/k

Relentless Inquisition [PAIN] – FA

Knighthonor.4061

The lack of communication with the players, Scapes (community leader) lieing to the players and getting caught wall all Trion.

But they don’t make any decisions. They only voice the developers as a translator. They have no control over the game.

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

But they don’t make any decisions. They only voice the developers as a translator. They have no control over the game.

They had control over the cashshop content and Trion went and kittened it up. The game itself was great – one of the best I have ever played. But Trion just had to go full kitten with changes that they most certainly had control over.

After 3 months, I couldnt take the P2W anymore. And that was despite having bugged permanent Patron status without paying for it, lol (customer support in the beginning was actually great, the account system… not so much).

Posted by: Tribal Sage.5642

Tribal Sage.5642

This whole situation reminds me of how Trion tried to kitten their playerbase with archeage with false promises and lying to the community. Guess what happened?

They got caught and now archeage is dead within 6 months of release and Trions company reputation is forever smeared for trying to pull the covers over the heads of their players

I remember Archeage very well. I followed it long before it came to the USA and I played it since the beginning of the disaster known as the launch. Lots of things went wrong from 6-16 hour queue times, to many cheaters and exploiters to Trion not being honest on several things which included a what I shall call a " huge staff member " playing off the Apex exploit by saying it was only a few people which was definitely not the case. Both Trion and XL Games are to blame for numerous reason. This is the last MMORPG I played before coming to GW2.

As unfortunate as what is happening here is the GW2 HoT presale announcement is no where close to what happened on Archeage and honestly I don’t think it’s similar either. I understand what you are saying but I think you’ve given a really bad comparison.

Posted by: Jordo.5913

Jordo.5913

So then NCsoft will take the blame for this. Arenanet is only the developer. NCsoft is the publisher.

Dawdler.8521

So then NCsoft will take the blame for this. Arenanet is only the developer. NCsoft is the publisher.

Chances are high that NCSoft had something to do with the pricing, yes… But we dont really know that, Anet could have decided it for themselves. For Archeage, we knew that any price changes went through Trion and not the original developer.

Posted by: Jordo.5913

Jordo.5913

Chances are high that NCSoft had something to do with the pricing, yes… But we dont really know that, Anet could have decided it for themselves. For Archeage, we knew that any price changes went through Trion and not the original developer.

So this thread is based on assumptions, which makes it worthless to argue.

Posted by: Cormac.3871

Cormac.3871

When I think of Archeage I remember people posting on this forum saying how games like it and Wildstar were going to destroy GW2 because the devs here are awful. Yes, the sales and marketing department messed up here, but in the grand scheme of things there are worse MMOs I could have devoted my time to.

Posted by: Otokomae.9356

Otokomae.9356

Chances are high that NCSoft had something to do with the pricing, yes… But we dont really know that, Anet could have decided it for themselves.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3adxq0/the_real_reason_for_hots_50_price_tag/
There ya go.

Bakuon/Bakuon Thief [MAS]/ ex-[ATac]

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

Trion’s myriad balls ups are far beyond this minor marketing derp.

I say that as someone who bought an archeum founder pack and now no longer play due to Trion’s generally crap management of the game’s issues and the massive pay to win involved with the game.

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Archage is dead? Someone needs to tell the players. The forum is still running and the people playing don’t know the game is dead. They’re sitting there discussing various topics. Archage forum

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: CobaltSixty.1542

CobaltSixty.1542

Your thread is off to a blinding start m8.

Posted by: Sitael.4680

Sitael.4680

The situation ist not the same as Tirion and Archeage, but it is to 100% the same situation als Turbine (LOTRO) created a couple of years ago with the “Rinders of Rohan” expansion.

The FAQ said for weeks that the inctance cluster would be included. After a couple of days after the start of pre-order the FAQ was silenty changed and it has been said, the instance cluster is not included. Turbine said, there was a mistake with the FAQ.

The situation escalated because of the company’s behavior. Player begun cancel the pre-order and after Turbine openly threaten players with account bann, who cancel the pre-order throught CC or bank, even the FTC was called to look at the issue.
In a very last second Turbine changed the pre-order and included the instance cluster as it has been said for a long time in the FAQ.
The situation was solved, but the company’s reputation and credibility has gone and couldn’t be restored yet really well.

Just a flesh wound.3589

The situation ist not the same as Tirion and Archeage, but it is to 100% the same situation als Turbine (LOTRO) created a couple of years ago with the “Rinders of Rohan” expansion.

The FAQ said for weeks that the inctance cluster would be included. After a couple of days after the start of pre-order the FAQ was silenty changed and it has been said, the instance cluster is not included. Turbine said, there was a mistake with the FAQ.

The situation escalated because of the company’s behavior. Player begun cancel the pre-order and after Turbine openly threaten players with account bann, who cancel the pre-order throught CC or bank, even the FTC was called to look at the issue.
In a very last second Turbine changed the pre-order and included the instance cluster as it has been said for a long time in the FAQ.
The situation was solved, but the company’s reputation and credibility has gone and couldn’t be restored yet really well.

Not 100% the same.

Turbine said, there was a mistake with the FAQ.

ANet hasn’t said anything one way or another about the FAQ change.

Player begun cancel the pre-order and after Turbine openly threaten players with account bann, who cancel the pre-order throught CC or bank, even the FTC was called to look at the issue.

ANet hasn’t been openly threatening people. They are giving refunds and in one reported case has sent the person a 20 level consumable to level a new char on the new account.

So, the situation is similar but nowhere near 100% identical.

ANet may give it to you.

Sitael.4680

Not 100% the same.

It is not about what happened after the situation is occured. It about the situation itself.

I think we will soon see a posting about it.

Player begun cancel the pre-order and after Turbine openly threaten players with account bann, who cancel the pre-order throught CC or bank, even the FTC was called to look at the issue.

ANet hasn’t been openly threatening people.

I hope that such things never happen here.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Not 100% the same.

It is not about what happened after the situation is occured. It about the situation itself.

ANet hasn’t been openly threatening people.

I hope that such things never happen here.

It may change to become closer to 100% identical. I was pointing out that your statement that it is to 100% identical is incorrect on several points. The two situations are only similar.

ANet may give it to you.

Sitael.4680

Yay… see: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/pre-purchase-community-address/

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

I was just checking out the Bungie/Destiny: Taken King expansion issue and how eerily similar it was sounding to ArenaNet with HoT:

• Taken King expansion offers much less than the base game but costs the same as a full game ($60), much like HoT($50).
  • Taken King’s price is bloated because it comes with the base game and previous expansions (ANet’s stated roadplan for the future as well) and forces existing owners to have to purchase the base game all over again to get the expansion content, just like HoT. However, ArenaNet claims this is not the case with wordplay stating that “they value” the expansion at $50 and new players get the base game for free when it really seems to have a projected value of more like $25-$35 (max) as an estimate based on what it is has been shown to include and is projected to include.

Just found the parallels interesting and it answers a lot of my questions on where ANet got this idea for their new “roadplan” regarding future expansions and the slimy way of bloating their expansion price under the guise of being for the benefit of new players – Bungie.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

Posted by: Tribal Sage.5642

Tribal Sage.5642

Archage is dead? Someone needs to tell the players. The forum is still running and the people playing don’t know the game is dead. They’re sitting there discussing various topics. Archage forum

Obviously the game still has players. But understand Archeage lost thousands of players, it wasn’t a small amount by any means. There are servers that have decent population still but many are getting merged because most of them are “dead”. Why do you think they finally went back and made things work out with Valve? Now it’s on Steam to recoup the population and much of the money they lost due to the apex exploit that destroyed the economy and hurt their profits. While steam is attracting more players they are losing more people than they are gaining and currently I’d say they are trying to stay a float with say… roughly 1/4 – 1/3 of the community they once had. I know way more than I want to about all this crap and probably more than a lot of people unfortunately.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Obviously the game still has players. But understand Archeage lost thousands of players, it wasn’t a small amount by any means. There are servers that have decent population still but many are getting merged because most of them are “dead”. Why do you think they finally went back and made things work out with Valve? Now it’s on Steam to recoup the population and much of the money they lost due to the apex exploit that destroyed the economy and hurt their profits. While steam is attracting more players they are losing more people than they are gaining and currently I’d say they are trying to stay a float with say… roughly 1/4 – 1/3 of the community they once had. I know way more than I want to about all this crap and probably more than a lot of people unfortunately.

Hard to say about Archeage from the outside, but all games lose a large percentage of their population after launch. Even WoW lost 3 million rapidly after their last expansion and Guild Wars 2 also lost a large number after launch. It’s one of the reasons they put in Megaservers. My whole guild that came over from Guild Wars 1 essentially died, and that’s a common complaint I’ve read. However from what I’ve read about Archeage, they may well have lost more than was typical due to company shenanigans.

ANet may give it to you.

Dawdler.8521

Hard to say about Archeage from the outside, but all games lose a large percentage of their population after launch. Even WoW lost 3 million rapidly after their last expansion and Guild Wars 2 also lost a large number after launch. It’s one of the reasons they put in Megaservers. My whole guild that came over from Guild Wars 1 essentially died, and that’s a common complaint I’ve read. However from what I’ve read about Archeage, they may well have lost more than was typical due to company shenanigans.

Yeah, but Archeage was quite noticable when it was hit. At first, you couldnt find land anywhere. Then, it became a small rush to take over expiring plots. Then… no one cared anymore. Land became pretty much worthless. Zones that ones where full of farms and houses just lost them all. Zones that could go to war every day took weeks to go to war. And I was one on of the bigger PvP oriented servers. Problem was that Archeage was big, impressive and had lots of fun detail (ie physics) but once you settled in and started going about your daily buisness, it was just shallow and pointless. The eqvivalent to sPvP in particular was complete and utter kitten in Archeage. The only fun was open world PvP with guilds, but player counts was dropped so rapidly even that became pointless. It was insanely fun in the beginning to almost bring the zone servers down with 200+ player battles though, lol. Even if we ignore the money grubbing in each patch that just plain ruined it, the actual content that was added was kittened for lack of other words to describe it. Castle sieges was broken and still was when I left. The guild had so looked forward to the castle mechanics and when it came… meh. Cant even play.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Yeah, but Archeage was quite noticable when it was hit. At first, you couldnt find land anywhere. Then, it became a small rush to take over expiring plots. Then… no one cared anymore. Land became pretty much worthless. Zones that ones where full of farms and houses just lost them all. Zones that could go to war every day took weeks to go to war. And I was one on of the bigger PvP oriented servers. Problem was that Archeage was big, impressive and had lots of fun detail (ie physics) but once you settled in and started going about your daily buisness, it was just shallow and pointless. The eqvivalent to sPvP in particular was complete and utter kitten in Archeage. The only fun was open world PvP with guilds, but player counts was dropped so rapidly even that became pointless. It was insanely fun in the beginning to almost bring the zone servers down with 200+ player battles though, lol. Even if we ignore the money grubbing in each patch that just plain ruined it, the actual content that was added was kittened for lack of other words to describe it. Castle sieges was broken and still was when I left. The guild had so looked forward to the castle mechanics and when it came… meh. Cant even play.

Yeh, I was reading their forums about then. It was amazing. Hacks stealing farms out from other bidders. The servers collapsing when the castles sieges were started and whole guilds losing out on all their expensive preparation from mass DCing. Then that debacle where they went back on their promises for the founder package (which sounded illegal as heck to me). The massive botting. The prices of thunderstruck trees being massively undercut. The fastest ship getting a huge nerf. And much more.

I’m not surprised if that game lost population big time. A pity, the people who were playing it seemed to love the way it was set up otherwise.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Goldberg.4831

Goldberg.4831

Trion is a said excuse of a company, never will do business with them again.

Archeage was nothing but a cash grab for Trion, they didnt even try to hide it. It may not be dead, but it is circling the drain. Yes there forms are still alive, and more toxic than ever. They are also one of the only companies I know to be black listed by the banks for shaddy business practices, (ie – uncontested charge backs, I know I charged back every penny I spent with them. In other words no comparison between the two. (B2P vs F2P cash grab.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

fun, now that whole thing takes a turn into the “game is dying” direction. I have to say, for someone with a healthy dislike of GW2, these recent days have been true ambrosia around here. Please continue, the GW2 community is pure gold.

Posted by: Moderator.1056

Moderator.1056

Since the discussion in this thread has derailed and is no longer constructive this thread is now closed.