Why did you push GW2 with discounts earlier?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Yubei.8596

Yubei.8596

Q:

During bigger community events you lowered price of the base game. Many ppl has bought it cos everyone was thinking HoT won’t be standalone.
Now it’s just doesn’t matter, you baited ppl and now you are trying to justify high price with this, so called, free cdkey to GW2. And no addition character slot?! Do you remember what did you give with every xpac to GW1? We remember, free 2(!!) character slots.
It’s truly outragerous

Posted by: AivenPrimus.9184

AivenPrimus.9184

EA Syndrome Nowadays.

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

Asking a business company why are they selling stuff?Isn’t that obvious?For more profit ofcourse……gosh

TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

Yubei.8596

Asking a business company why are they selling stuff?Isn’t that obvious?For more profit ofcourse……gosh

and lie to costumers in the process. Great move ANet, great move

Posted by: Shifu.4321

Shifu.4321

Giving a discount = lying

Posted by: littlemunster.1059

littlemunster.1059

Yeah. It was a total lie. I was misled to think my $10 was well spent…

The BG Super Munster!

Yubei.8596

ofc it is. In this specific case. They gave a discount, huge one, it was like 80% and now they giving away ‘for free’ (yea sure) another copy? Where is logic?

Posted by: Khristophoros.7194

Khristophoros.7194

Because it was like printing money and taking candy from a baby at the same time

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

No, that’s not a lie.

But telling people you would need the base game as well to get HoT, and selling lots of both cheap and regular priced copies of teh game based on that premise, then hours before the pre purchase is announced, throw in the base game for free and secretly changing your FAQ.

That is lying. And deceptive.

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

Shifu.4321

Ask for a refund then. I’m sure if you bought it relatively recently (like a couple of months), they can accommodate something (but you’ll lose your characters and everything for a fresh account).

Yubei.8596

Ask for a refund then. I’m sure if you bought it relatively recently (like a couple of months), they can accommodate something (but you’ll lose your characters and everything for a fresh account).

Still it’s not the point. Also I highly doubt it they will give sb a refund.

Shifu.4321

Still it’s not the point. Also I highly doubt it they will give sb a refund.

What’s the point then? They should make the expansion $60 for new players?

The thing is, I think the decision to make the core game basically free was a relatively new one. I don’t think Anet went out of their way to screw players when they did their sales. I’m fairly certain that they had decided you needed the core game when they did those sales. You don’t go out of your way to screw your player base unless your name is EA.

It’s bad PR that they suddenly changed their mind, but what’s done is done, and the only thing they can do now is grant refunds. They obviously can’t charge new players for the base game all of a sudden, since, as bad as it looks right now, that would be even WORSE.

Posted by: Elyssa.8307

Elyssa.8307

Many of my guildies have been playing for 2-4months.
Even if they did get a refund, they wouldn’t want to lose ALL their progress after spending so much time leveling characters to 80, getting fractal levels up etc…

Never was it even hinted that you could only buy the expansion and core game together.
I’m not even sure any game has ever done a mistake like this?

Shifu.4321

After thinking about it, I think the best solution would be for Anet to give existing players who upgraded to HoT $10 worth of untradeable gems (so as not to wreck the gems<—>gold conversion). That way, they can spend those gems as they see fit while still getting at least $10 worth of what they spent.

Yubei.8596

Not to mention sneaky changing of FAQ. I can pay 50$ but at least they could give us additional character slot. I can’t stand it. They always tried to treat us right, giving free content/living world/whatever and now suddenly feces hit the fun and they are trying to screw us over. The hell is going on

Posted by: Stormbolt.7293

Stormbolt.7293

They sold copies of the base game using HoT, knowing that HoT would include the base game.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

EA Syndrome Nowadays.

Emulating an industry leader rolling in money? Can’t imagine how that would appeal to a marketing professional.

Its really not the same perception when its your livelihood and not some gamer’s disposable income sink.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: smitske.4912

smitske.4912

To make an kitten out f themselves and their loyal players that got their friends to buy the game.

Posted by: upsdn.5426

upsdn.5426

Many of my guildies have been playing for 2-4months.
Even if they did get a refund, they wouldn’t want to lose ALL their progress after spending so much time leveling characters to 80, getting fractal levels up etc…

Never was it even hinted that you could only buy the expansion and core game together.
I’m not even sure any game has ever done a mistake like this?

They’ll find a way to take care of players who’ve been playing 2-4 months or whatever. If they started after HoT was announced, chances are they’ll get a discount on HoT. But that’s only because of the FAQ thing, which is actually embarrassing and has some blatant sliminess. The rest of us, meanwhile, will still pay full price. And a whole bunch of fanboys will say “yeah see hurr durr that’s fair.”

The fanboys/fangirls like to say things like “you paid for x and you got x, you are not entitled to y.” In their minds, voicing an opinion = “crying,” and only they have the magic power to decide who is “entitled” to what. That is, you are not entitled to complain, but they are entitled to tell you that your opinion is invalid.

Good luck!

Posted by: Kelnter.7530

Kelnter.7530

EA Syndrome Nowadays.

Emulating an industry leader rolling in money? Can’t imagine how that would appeal to a marketing professional.

Its really not the same perception when its your livelihood and not some gamer’s disposable income sink.

Emulating the voted for 2 years in a row “Worst Company In America” is not smart. EA is a giant but they felt the consequences of the bad PR and they now have a new CEO doing things a bit differently. Anet is an ant compared to EA. If an ant tries to act like a giant, it will be crushed.