Why nerf spider?

Why nerf spider?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Cyrotek.7019

Cyrotek.7019

@Topic: They nerfed it, because they want those grinders grind events instead, so the players who actually have fun playing this game have enough people to play with.

Why nerf spider?

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

I’m just really sad I can’t stand in one place and be bored out of my mind repeating the same completely non challenging mob kill over and over for hours. It was obviously the intended method of gaining mastry xp since it was faster, even though it was less fun than other methods. In fact, the whole game is an unfun grind so at least I could do something shorter. I don’t have the option of not playing a game I don’t enjoy. I’m stuck with this one.

I mean how dare they remove that tedium. It is a slap in the face. Why would they add such boring and repetitive content and then take it away when I felt obligated to play it for it superior rewards? They’ve never done anything like this before, and every easy and tedious farm I’ve used in the game for the past three years still works. Why not this one?

Seriously, if you don’t enjoy the game, and don’t enjoy HoT map as a whole that you do not even bother to do events/ play mini-games, and rather shorten the gap and make it as quick as possible, why are you still playing then?

What do you mean by “stuck with this one”? If you don’t enjoy the game, NO-ONE forces you to keep playing, so why do you feel like you’re being stucked? You can leave whenever you want, and no-one is stopping you. Do someone point a gun on the back of your head and tell you to keep playing then?

Why nerf spider?

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

@Topic: They nerfed it, because they want those grinders grind events instead, so the players who actually have fun playing this game have enough people to play with.

Except it doesn’t work that way. People who were spider farming were likely already running other events too, and even if they were spider farming 24/7, they would be DONE soon enough, like within the month, and could then move on to running the other events anyway. People who want to run those events, were already running those events, or at the very least soon would be. removing the spider farm has absolutely nothing to do with that.

Seriously, if you don’t enjoy the game, and don’t enjoy HoT map as a whole that you do not even bother to do events/ play mini-games, and rather shorten the gap and make it as quick as possible, why are you still playing then?

This sort of comment has absolutely nothing to do with the spider farm, or the people who played it.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Why nerf spider?

Posted by: Excludee.3850

Excludee.3850

I think it has more to do with farming competing with event. People who farm do so because it’s a better source of XP. The problem is, if too many think in that way it screw the meta-event for the rest of us. If they just give events more XP they shorten the time required to get mastery. So if they don’t want that, they have to nerf what compete the meta-event: the spiders being one thing.

Yes. Think of the meta events guys. That’s why they made sure not to put the entrance to the raid in Verdant Brink.

…oh wait

Sight

Did you just, like, read 2 posts above you? The one where I said the entrance to the raid being in VB was a mistake?

Sight, indeed.

Why nerf spider?

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

Secondly, didn’t anet mentioned that if people want to grind for experience and level up quickly, it is their rights to do so?

No. They said the Central Tyrian masteries were designed with old content in mind, and how fast we get them is up to us. These new ones in Maguuma they don’t want a farm like this. Which is why CoF is fine, but this is not according to ArenaNet

Isn’t that inconsistency then? A game as a whole has separate philosophies and players are expected to know these philosophies? Players do not care about these philosophies and only cares about what is presented to them. It is anet’s responsibilities to ensure that the game is presented like the image they have in their mind and not change things along the way and disrupt players’ activities, that is nothing more than bad design and planning.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Why nerf spider?

Posted by: Warcry.1596

Warcry.1596

Perhaps they didn’t want people doing it for reasons similar to farming mobs in certain events. The spiders were not tied to an event, but if you were doing it, you were not participating in any events, causing them to be difficult for players.

I don’t know really, just my thoughts

“He shall make whole that which was torn asunder.
Restore that which was lost. And all shall be as one.”

Why nerf spider?

Ohoni.6057

Perhaps they didn’t want people doing it for reasons similar to farming mobs in certain events. The spiders were not tied to an event, but if you were doing it, you were not participating in any events, causing them to be difficult for players.

but the same is true of Adventures, Hero Points, Mastery Points, Airship Cargo, Story missions, Raid AFKing, material harvesting, chest/strongbox hunting, etc., and they didn’t remove any of that. In the grand scheme of things, Spider Farming accounted for a tiny fraction of “unavailable players” when compared to those other elements.

done by now.”

Why nerf spider?

Posted by: Cathbadb.6079

Cathbadb.6079

I was unhappy at first about the amount of XP required to level Masteries. However when you stop to think about it, it makes sense.
If everyone was able to level their masteries quickly, complete all the armor sets in a short time what would there be left to do?
Creating new content takes a lot of time. Besides the graphics, textures, storylines and voice overs there is still the bugs to work out.
The Time Gating seems to exist for two reasons.
Time Gating keeps people playing. If it didn’t exist, people would quickly become bored and stop playing. Sure some might take a break but they will eventually return.
The second reason seems to be obvious.
Arenanet doesn’t have any new content available for release any time soon.
The Time Gating and large XP requirement for Masteries is to give themselves breathing room while they work on new content, hoping that it’s enough to keep players interested.
Hence the nerfs to the Spider farming areas below the village of Jaka Itzel.
CoF wasn’t nerfed because it has no relevancy to HoT zones, but the Spiders do since the farming takes place in those zones.

Why nerf spider?

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

You can have any color car you like as long as it’s black.

You can play GW2 however you like as long as it’s in the region and specific content of the region as long as it’s what ArenaNet want you doing.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Why nerf spider?

Posted by: JaddynnStarr.5201

JaddynnStarr.5201

Im not sure thats the reason tho. It was such a smalll, small farm, that it inherently didnt take away from anything else in the zone. And when they nerfed it, it was only slight drop in xp. This is still a viable farm.

Why nerf spider?

Aomine.5012

I was unhappy at first about the amount of XP required to level Masteries. However when you stop to think about it, it makes sense.
If everyone was able to level their masteries quickly, complete all the armor sets in a short time what would there be left to do?
Creating new content takes a lot of time. Besides the graphics, textures, storylines and voice overs there is still the bugs to work out.
Time Gating keeps people playing. If it didn’t exist, people would quickly become bored and stop playing. Sure some might take a break but they will eventually return.
The Time Gating and large XP requirement for Masteries is to give themselves breathing room while they work on new content, hoping that it’s enough to keep players interested.
CoF wasn’t nerfed because it has no relevancy to HoT zones, but the Spiders do since the farming takes place in those zones.

And the real useful skills are usually just the first and 2nd tier skills. (Aside from 5th Gliding skill).

People are somewhat exaggerating the experience. You don’t need at least 2/3 of the masteries in general to traverse the jungle.

Why nerf spider?

Ohoni.6057

No. I’ve had most of my characters at level 80 for over two years now and kept playing. There was no reason to “time gate” the masteries. Even with masteries maxed out, there are plenty of fun things to do, especially since they are account bound so you can use them with alts.

done by now.”

Why nerf spider?

Posted by: Darkobra.6439

Darkobra.6439

Because repeatedly killing the same mobs in the same area over and over isn’t content. It’s a grind.

Because GW2 isn’t a game in which repeatedly killing the same mobs over and over in a small area is the intended play pattern.

because it rewarded significantly better xp and money than actually playing the game in the intended manner.

Further, it’s a grind that takes up map spots from people that could be contributing to the zone meta. It’s the same problem that the GvG people caused in WvW before that situation was dealt with.

They should nerf the CoF mob XP while they’re at it.

We must be playing different games because I’ve had to chase events killing the same monsters over and over and over to learn how to jump on mushrooms to progress my PERSONAL STORY!

“Content.” Fallout 4 has content. I’m exploring. Stumbled onto giant bosses that make me have to think and count my resources. I’m not pressing 1 and waiting for something to die to watch my bars go up to learn to jump on mushrooms to see a story unfold.

Guess where I’m going back to?

Why nerf spider?

Aomine.5012

Because repeatedly killing the same mobs in the same area over and over isn’t content. It’s a grind.

Because GW2 isn’t a game in which repeatedly killing the same mobs over and over in a small area is the intended play pattern.

because it rewarded significantly better xp and money than actually playing the game in the intended manner.

Further, it’s a grind that takes up map spots from people that could be contributing to the zone meta. It’s the same problem that the GvG people caused in WvW before that situation was dealt with.

They should nerf the CoF mob XP while they’re at it.

We must be playing different games because I’ve had to chase events killing the same monsters over and over and over to learn how to jump on mushrooms to progress my PERSONAL STORY!

“Content.” Fallout 4 has content. I’m exploring. Stumbled onto giant bosses that make me have to think and count my resources. I’m not pressing 1 and waiting for something to die to watch my bars go up to learn to jump on mushrooms to see a story unfold.

Guess where I’m going back to?

Abit tired of people comparing a MMO to platform game…

Also, aside from mods, I doubt a platform game will make you play 3 years and still not drop the game already. For me, the best they can do now is around 150 hours max. Those that I can afford to play 150 hrs are definitely some outstanding games, that’s why I play for that long, but it’s still far from 3 years.

Platform game are meant to be one-time enjoyment. That’s why they can design a gorgeous story-line with unrepetitive contents.

Hint: Try beat Fall-Out 4 like 4 times and see if you still enjoy it as much as you did first try.

Hint 2: The gap between Fall Out 3 and Fall Out 4 is around 8~10 years. The development time is much longer.

(edited by Aomine.5012)

Why nerf spider?

Posted by: Mahou.3924

Mahou.3924

While I can see the point behind the bolded argument, the same can also be said for the opposite faction. People can probably quit as easily if things get for them too frustrating (be it difficutly, being tedious/grind, etc) as the gamer who quit because he’s done with content x too fast. And the latter can also simply return once there’s temporary more to do if at all. I won’t speculate or guesstimate who’s the larger group as there is surely more than one facet in the whole picture.

Why nerf spider?

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

Go farm events, you get more exp and stuff…

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Why nerf spider?

Ohoni.6057

If that were true, people wouldn’t be using the spider farm.

done by now.”

Why nerf spider?

Posted by: Tomoyo.3482

Tomoyo.3482

when you can get 2-3k a kill from spider over and over again it adds up a lot faster then any map meta in HoT.

Why nerf spider?

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

when you can get 2-3k a kill from spider over and over again it adds up a lot faster then any map meta in HoT.

and lots of crafting mats …….

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Why nerf spider?

Ohoni.6057

Has anyone tried farming the Coxtic village in the middle of the map? It’s full of vet mobs too, harder ones though.

done by now.”

Why nerf spider?

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

For those saying that nerfing it has something to do with events, i find that very debatable.

Firstly, those who want skins have to do the events if they want to get tokens, yes, they can get hunting bags for tokens but that is only from the spider farm’s map, that don’t apply to other maps. So, people still have to do events to get tokens to get skins and gears or whatever map specific items. Likewise, people have to do events to get certain achievements. So, I don’t really think it has anything to do with events, mainly because people can choose to max their masteries first before farming events for tokens or achievements, because it might be easier for them to transverse the place and access to things. Most importantly, they put raid entrance in VB, do you really think it has anything to do with events?

Some people say that it has something to do with drops because it is a veteran mob, it drop rares and poison venom more frequently. I think this is the real reason why anet nerf it but too I find it puzzling, why is anet stopping people from farming mats? If the players find another spot, is anet gonna nerf it again? Is anet gonna nerf all the places we farm for mats? Is it why anet decided to put a huge gold sinks call guild hall to intentionally drain the mats market and cause gold inflation while nerfing dungeon rewards? Anet’s economy plan is puzzling.

Edit: Thinking again, there is one thing that benefit in the gold inflation and that is gem price. Is that anet’s real goal? To inflate the gold/gem conversion to make people buy gems to convert to gold?

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

(edited by SkyShroud.2865)

Why nerf spider?

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

How did they nerf it? I remember my quick way to 161 mastery lvl there, they gave like 5k exp with all exp boosters n lots of good loot, even tons of airship parts. I feel sorry for those not 161, unleds there is a new farm

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

Why nerf spider?

Posted by: Alteraphim.4629

Alteraphim.4629

For those saying that nerfing it has something to do with events, i find that very debatable.

Firstly, those who want skins have to do the events if they want to get tokens, yes, they can get hunting bags for tokens but that is only from the spider farm’s map, that don’t apply to other maps. So, people still have to do events to get tokens to get skins and gears or whatever map specific items. Likewise, people have to do events to get certain achievements. So, I don’t really think it has anything to do with events, mainly because people can choose to max their masteries first before farming events for tokens or achievements, because it might be easier for them to transverse the place and access to things. Most importantly, they put raid entrance in VB, do you really think it has anything to do with events?

Some people say that it has something to do with drops because it is a veteran mob, it drop rares and poison venom more frequently. I think this is the real reason why anet nerf it but too I find it puzzling, why is anet stopping people from farming mats? If the players find another spot, is anet gonna nerf it again? Is anet gonna nerf all the places we farm for mats? Is it why anet decided to put a huge gold sinks call guild hall to intentionally drain the mats market and cause gold inflation while nerfing dungeon rewards? Anet’s economy plan is puzzling.

Edit: Thinking again, there is one thing that benefit in the gold inflation and that is gem price. Is that anet’s real goal? To inflate the gold/gem conversion to make people buy gems to convert to gold?

Anet does what they can to keep the entrance of materials into the market at a level they determine reasonable. Too many materials entering the market devalues both the materials and the content that doesn’t award that many materials.

Why nerf spider?

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

You don’t have a clue.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Why nerf spider?

Posted by: Clem.2963

Clem.2963

Was it un-nerfed? I’m doing spiders, right now, getting 5K XP per spider.

Why nerf spider?

Clem.2963

Well I was… As soon as people joined my party, I started getting less XP (1.5k).

Why nerf spider?

Clem.2963

And now I’m getting about 2.8K???

Why nerf spider?

Posted by: Chemical Rush.2569

Chemical Rush.2569

It was nerfed so we can play how we want by being forced to do events.

So much this.

My vice is WvW, but it has been crap all along compared to their forced PvE garbage.

Farming is a legitimate way to play an MMO. It’s basically like playing Diablo 3. Some people like to farm; why not let them? I would never farm. I hate it. But I know some people who love it, and I see nothing wrong with it.

And the same people whining about farmers are the same tools who will do Fractals a million times.

The thing that kittenes me off is, they are grinding just as much as anyone else. They just cry like babies when anyone gets anything even CLOSE to what they get. Everyone knows those kittens get the best content in the game already; money, skins, gear choice, etc. So if anyone else starts making money? “WAHHHH!!!!! They aren’t grinding like me!!! THIS NEEDS A NERF IMMEDIATELY, because this isn’t how ANet meant the game to be played! The way I personally grind is!”

Stop being complete kitten wads to everyone but PvE snobs already ANet, we are getting sick of your crap.