Why, oh why can we not have capes !

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Latinkuro.9615

Latinkuro.9615

It has been three years already !
Capes with HoT or riot !

Even better make them legendary capes and give them to us.

Clipping issues is no longer an acceptable excuse !

With kind regards,

Former Guild Wars 1 player.

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

Have you seen the new Balthazar outfit? there is capes in that outfit. I have to say tho it looks alot more like capes on charr than other races.

Some must fight so that all may be free.

Latinkuro.9615

that is most certainly NOT a cape !
it may give the illusion of one but it ain’t.
look closer it starts at the hip just like any other attempt in the game right now.

Also, that is kitten outfit !
you cannot even mix and match at your own discretion, I don’t like that.

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

Capes are stupid!

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

That may be the way for them to give us capes though. Cloth starting at the neck, belted at the waist and hanging loose from the waist down. You can put the guild emblem on it like the Guild Wars 1 capes had.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: lubby.8092

lubby.8092

Coming from someone who used to play WoW and used to love the different capes, I honestly like what they have now in GW2. I would rather work toward getting a cool back piece than getting a cape. There are plenty of leg armors that give off the illusion of a cape, suck as the draconic pants and the Arah dungeon pants. I like the looks they have implemented in the game at the moment. But this is certainly my own opinion.

Posted by: Anzaman.1063

Anzaman.1063

Hopefully we’ll get capes one day.

Latinkuro.9615

The reason I bring this cape topic up again is because they have stated it themselves on several occasions that they to wish to have capes, so much so that I quote “some of us are working on it on our own time” is what I last heard about the capes topic, at least 2 years ago.

Posted by: Scoobaniec.9561

Scoobaniec.9561

Im curious how people imagines backpiece capes with stuff that actually have them/buttcapes? Like norn t3, arah pants, t3 heavy charr pants, mistward pants etc. Going forward medium sets with strenchcoat, light with skirts.. sry i cant imagine it at all unless you want to wear as many capes as possible.

Posted by: Vikkela.7261

Vikkela.7261

Because of clipping issues, really bad clipping issues. They have had people even using their free time to get capes implemented

9 Guardians later…

Posted by: Belenwyn.8674

Belenwyn.8674

We have capes on several maps.

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

YES PLEASE< for the love of dwayna, please give us capes , or racial backpieces , make it legendary or something

Posted by: calivaty.8295

calivaty.8295

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

<1 hour after anet added capes> “OMG clipping everywhere anet ruined game worst dev ever!!1111!”

And yeah capes are stupid and look ugly. Just like plastic crow wings.

Attachments:

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

For some reason I remember the plethora of capes in Castlevania: Symphony of the Night from PSOne.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Moss.5371

Moss.5371

Because of clipping, balthazar’s is the closest you will get to a cape.

sadface

Posted by: Kaminali.2863

Kaminali.2863

We have a similar system with the backpieces system. I think we can have cape with the backpieces system.

Posted by: IrishPotato.6327

IrishPotato.6327

I’m just gonna leave this here…

Attachments:

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

Because cape are things of the past! (and charrs would be ridiculous with cape, always sticking there claw in it and falling)

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

Posted by: ImTasty.2163

ImTasty.2163

Capes with HoT or riot !

With kind regards,

I hope they do not bring back capes. I always turned them off because the clipping issues were very annoying. Clipping g is still an acceptable excuse.

With kind regards,

A former GW1 player

Latinkuro.9615

Because cape are things of the past! (and charrs would be ridiculous with cape, always sticking there claw in it and falling)

Racial specific capes, there problem solved.

I do not want to be denied something because of stupid charr and their clipping issues.

Make them go extinct, I don’t care what you have to do or how you have to bend the lore as long as I get capes.

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

I hope they do not bring back capes. I always turned them off because the clipping issues were very annoying. Clipping g is still an acceptable excuse.

With kind regards,

A former GW1 player

This. it also annoyed the hell out of my Guild Leader in GW1.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Just a flesh wound.3589

I usually turned my capes off in Guild Wars 1. The colors usually clashed with the colors I chose for my armor, the designs on the capes got boring after I had worn them for a while and there was no way for me to change it without changing to another guild, and I liked the way the way my armor looked without capes better.

Backpacks are better, Imo. So much more variety in appearance and ease of switching around to an old one when you tire of it or getting a new one when they come out. If they did get capes, I doubt I would wear one more than occasionally.

ANet may give it to you.

Latinkuro.9615

why do you people think it has to be either or, this is not binary you know !
we can have both, you can have your back pieces which I’m sick off. and I can have my cape, there; choice is the name of the game. The more choices we have the better.

Stop being so negative.

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

Capes with HoT or riot !

With kind regards,

With kind regards,

A former GW1 player

i imagine, like backpieces, u could prob turn them off. so why couldn’t some peopel have it, because they don’t care about how bad the clipping is, they just want back pieces, and u could turn it off because it looks awful to u on your char?

Latinkuro.9615

This from today’s exclusive interview with Colin.

- Source: http://www.tentonhammer.com/interview/guild-wars-2-exclusive-interview-colin-johanson

- Ten Ton Hammer: Lastly, now that you’ve implemented Guild Halls and Guild versus Guild (sort of) can we expect a change of heart and the arrival of capes?

- Colin: This isn’t really a “change of heart” kind of deal. I haven’t met anyone yet at ArenaNet who is against the concept of capes! It’s just that capes currently don’t work with our animation and armor system. Hopefully someday that can change – cause capes are awesome.

Quote end.

This feels to me like a double edge dagger stabbing me in the back :S
they do wish to have them but, [censored] dang it when will capes become a priority !

(edited by Latinkuro.9615)

Just a flesh wound.3589

we can have both, you can have your back pieces which I’m sick off. and I can have my cape, there; choice is the name of the game. The more choices we have the better.

Stop being so negative.

I don’t know why people are saying no capes. It’s not like it’s going to be mandatory or the other backpieces will be removed.

I think it’s just a knee jerk, negative reaction for some reason.

ANet may give it to you.

Jaxom.7310

Stop being so negative.

I don’t know why people are saying no capes. It’s not like it’s going to be mandatory or the other backpieces will be removed.

reminds me of threads aboot dueling!

Dante.1763

Stop being so negative.

shrugs i could care less despite what i posted here, i turned them off in GW1 i can turn them off here too, and if it takes up the backpack, then i dont have to use them.

Not the place or the proper thread, And most of the people against dueling have valid points.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

You cant have capes in a game with quadrupeds. So unless you make chars no longer walk on all 4 your not going to see it. In fact any game with a quadruped your not going to see a cape.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Jaxom.7310

Stop being so negative.

shrugs i could care less despite what i posted here, i turned them off in GW1 i can turn them off here too, and if it takes up the backpack, then i dont have to use them.

Not the place or the proper thread, And most of the people against dueling have valid points.

indeed. i don’t want anyone to be able to experience X because I think there is a chance it will affect my ability to experience Y.

Latinkuro.9615

Stop being so negative.

Dueling and capes are NOT the same thing by a long mile !
Move along peasant !

Latinkuro.9615

Stop being so negative.

indeed. i don’t want anyone to be able to experience X because I think there is a chance it will affect my ability to experience Y.

NO, your precious dueling would ruin the pve world !
you want to duel, ok, I don’t mind it if it is NOT in pve, say heart of the mists or edge of the mists. and I have the abilty to auto deny all duel requests w/o ever seeing even one stinking duel request !

move along peasant !

Jaxom.7310

Stop being so negative.

sorry, not derailing convo. just commenting it reminded me of some dueling threads. forums are for comments.

carry on aboot capes

Posted by: Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

I don’t see why not. The only thing that’s abit sad is that engineers would have it destroyed by the hobosacks.

Posted by: Nabbis.8095

Nabbis.8095

Sorry to burst your bubbles guys but the answer is still no.
From the latest tentonhammer article the big smile face himself Colin said:

Ten Ton Hammer: Lastly, now that you’ve implemented Guild Halls and Guild versus Guild (sort of) can we expect a change of heart and the arrival of capes?

Colin: This isn’t really a “change of heart” kind of deal. I haven’t met anyone yet at ArenaNet who is against the concept of capes! It’s just that capes currently don’t work with our animation and armor system. Hopefully someday that can change – cause capes are awesome.

Source: http://www.tentonhammer.com/interview/guild-wars-2-exclusive-interview-colin-johanson
Now lets leave the horse there and maybe make a mount thread?

WvW Blobs aren’t Blobs they are just large group of oozes blobbing along each other.
Leader of the Iron Hall [Iron]
Server: Desolation now and forever.

Latinkuro.9615

dude, I already posted that quote ! at least read before you post word for word what others have already posted :S

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Because they’re too far across the table.

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

Posted by: DevilLordLaser.8619

DevilLordLaser.8619

G’head and implement capes. Y’know, as soon as the technical issues Colin mentioned are sorted.

Just be prepared for three quarters of players to never wear them because they look ^$!ing awful, obscure every bit of the armor look you (ostensibly) worked hard to tweak to perfection, and have wonky animation issues resulting in a tangled rat's-nest mess hanging off your neck if you don't jiggle around for three minutes out of every ten to get it to reset itself. And also they look ^$!ing awful. All the same reasons nobody wore the dang things back in GW1.

Still, who’m I to get in the way of bad taste? It’s not like the dueling issue where it causes serious problems for non-duelists if the feature is implemented. Soon as they solve the tech issues, by all means add in some capes for the back item slot. If you want them have at them, but don’t make the mistake of thinking they were a defining feature of GW1. Only time I ever wore mine was when I was forced to in the PvP arenas, because it looked ^$@!ing awful.

With kind regards,
Former Guild Wars 1 player

Posted by: Zoltreez.6435

Zoltreez.6435

This is a CAPE.

Attachments:

-Stellaris
-Total War: Warhammer
-Guild Wars 2

Latinkuro.9615

capes in gw2 will not look the same as in gw1, the systems in gw1 were primitive to put mildly. Technology evolves, I’m sure they can get it working properly. it’s just a matter of having time to develop the physics systems for it to move and respond properly.

Thinking that because according to you capes looked bad in gw1, does NOT necessarily mean they will look bad in gw2.

with kind regards,

A forward thinking open minded guild wars 1 player.

Posted by: Khasandara.4196

Khasandara.4196

I would love the idea of capes.

For those who doesnt like capes, they can choose between: Not to use them (Since stats are the same on every item set) or just hide them.

For example, I dont like to much most of the back pieces from crafting, or Koss on Koss design. so I usually hide them while playing. Same could be done with capes if you dislike them.

It is true that at the beginning the capes will have some bugs and problems, but they have plenty of time to make them work right.

Posted by: DevilLordLaser.8619

DevilLordLaser.8619

Sure. I’m not against implementing capes, as it’s one of those features that’s basically nothing but a positive (except of course for the dev resources used in their creation, but I’ll ignore that here). People want them, and as soon as it’s feasible for them to have them they should.

Heh, it’s just that it’s far, far, far from a major issue. One of those “it’d be nice but it’s around slot forty or fifty on or to-do list” things that just isn’t worth the headache it’d cause to implement it until they have time to fix the animations for something more important. And also GW1-style neckflaps were absolutely awful-looking. A proper cloak is one thing, but those old caps were just bad on so many levels. The animation sucked, the mounting sucked, the design/style sucked…they just sucked.

G’head and ask for them, but given how much they sucked, I wouldn’t expect them to be a priority is all. Heh, there are better ways to display guild allegiance we could look into instead while we wait on animation fixes that enable these fashion disasters. Guild armor as a whole could use some serious improvement.

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

what limitations? arah heavy pants is like a tattered cape. just extend it from the shoulders down instead of the waist and we got a cape. make it more grand and we get a nice looking cape already

Posted by: Biohazard.7523

Biohazard.7523

Because engine is old, and they are not improving their game performance or servers, they are just adding more stuff in game that is getting older.

Posted by: Tskales.2804

Tskales.2804

DCUO style capes would be awesome.

“I’m sure glad that A-net is spending the 20 minutes or so that it would take to remove
the hobosack on making more important additions to the game.
Like golden pigs for the gem store” – Gern.2978

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

This is a CAPE.

Image how tater it is though with that much of it on the ground at all times. In that pic it should be frozen and i guess coverd in blood.

Any way real point is that a biped or just a re-skins human and you can say all biped races are simply re-skins humans and its only this type of races that can use cap.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

Anet’s first stand against capes was due to Graphical Clipping surrounding the Char’s tail.

But with all the OTHER clipping in the game, I dont think that stands anymore.

At this point I think they are just being lazy about it and dont wanna address it at all.

the best we are ever going to get is a 1/2 cap from the waste down.

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD

Dante.1763

Anet’s first stand against capes was due to Graphical Clipping surrounding the Char’s tail.

Not with their tail. The charrs entire body when they get down to all fours, (AKA whenever they arent in combat and moving). The way their physics work in this game would make the cape(Assuming it would actually have physics) fall through the body of any body playing charr(again when they go down on all fours) unless they made it a static mesh that had no movement to it. Dont think anybody who plays charr would appreciate that at all. I also dont think anybody who wants capes wants them to just be a static mesh that hugs their character.

(edited by Dante.1763)

Posted by: Chrono.6928

Chrono.6928

Capes with HoT or riot !

With kind regards,

With kind regards,

A former GW1 player

I hope they DO bring back capes. Many fans myself included loved them… If you don’t like them you had the option to turn them off… that’s no reason that the rest of us can’t enjoy them in-game.

By that logic I don’t like greatswords so no one else should be allowed to use a greatsword. It’s just dumb if I don’t like a greatsword I don’t have to use one. No need to ruin it for everyone else.

/signed a 50/50 hom and gwamm GW1 player