Why use Gliders if we have Waypoints in HoT?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Posted by: BammBamm.6719

BammBamm.6719

because you have to activate the waypoint first

Posted by: dekou.6012

dekou.6012

For the same reason you use legs in GW2, even though you have waypoints.

Posted by: Turamarth.3248

Turamarth.3248

They don’t cost anything and depending on how many waypoints there are and where they are located it might be faster to glide.

Brandar – Kodash [DE]
[SPQR]

Posted by: Novuake.2691

Novuake.2691

Maybe the new zones will have minimal WPs. That would be great!

Retriever Iiat – Asura Engineer
Private retriever of runaway NPCs
Mistband[MIST] – PVP Training guild EU

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

and it looks like you will use them to glide to areas you cant access any other way aswell

Posted by: A Massive Headache.1879

A Massive Headache.1879

not to mention, a new layer of movement, and meaningful at that.

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

So why not Ground Mounts as well now, if we get less Waypoints?

Posted by: A Massive Headache.1879

A Massive Headache.1879

because we can already walk

Novuake.2691

Because its not about travel necessarily. Seriously, watch a replay of the stream.

Linken.6345

becouse we dont need mounts and they wouldent help us access areas we cant use our two legs to get to

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

There are areas you’ll only be able to reach by gliding.

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

My interpretation of what has been said and stated about gliders is as follows:

- Gliders will allow you to gain access to previously inaccessible areas.
- Your glider skill will increase, through the mastery system, allowing even further exploration of hard to reach places.
- It is possible that gliding may perform some significant function within new event types or boss events.
- It may also be that gliding will be used as a new form of side activity much like Jumping Puzzles are a side activity.

Gliding will not simply be a means of travel, I believe it will be much more than that.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

Posted by: Breksta.4965

Breksta.4965

We are forced to use our ground covering skills to get to our destinations faster and that is just primitive. After two years the game still doesn’t have mounts, now we’ll at least have gliders. I am only hoping that they will work like in Archeage and not like some sort of elevators locked to specific locations.

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

i am glad anet did not listen to mount haters, instead anet chose fewer waypoints and more unique mounts , that is a good decision.

Linken.6345

i am glad anet did not listen to mount haters, instead anet chose fewer waypoints and more unique mounts , that is a good decision.

And those mounts would be what?

Rin.1046

We are forced to use our ground covering skills to get to our destinations faster and that is just primitive. After two years the game still doesn’t have mounts, now we’ll at least have gliders. I am only hoping that they will work like in Archeage and not like some sort of elevators locked to specific locations.

The impression I get is that, once gliding, you will be able to glide wherever your heart desires, within the limits of your gliding ability. They will however, initially, only be available in the new region, but I am sure they will add more regions and zones that you can glide around in.

Its unlikely that they will allow gliding in GW2 core regions, but you never know they may revisit them in the future.

To those discussing mounts, I think gliders are Anets vision of what a mount should be. Not a simple speed buff to get you from A to B faster, but a more functional vehicle to get you to places your feet cannot take you. I think it is an elegant and creative idea and I am really looking forward to trying it. I hope we will be able to customize our glider too, I am sure we will get glider skins in the gem store in the future if not at launch

Simplicity is complex.

(edited by Rin.1046)

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

If Silverwastes is any indication, there will be very few waypoints compared to the original areas. I find this new direction (if that’s what it is) very refreshing. Too many waypoints ruin immersion and exploration even more than (flying) mounts.

One – Piken Square

Rin.1046

If Silverwastes is any indication, there will be very few waypoints compared to the original areas. I find this new direction (if that’s what it is) very refreshing. Too many waypoints ruin immersion and exploration even more than (flying) mounts.

My hope is that they reduce the number of waypoints and remove the pointless armour damage. Fewer waypoints equals more time penalty for defeat, and therefore there would be little need for armour repair, which is essentially a minor time delay now.

Simplicity is complex.

Posted by: Clyan.1593

Clyan.1593

The gliders will help us reaching destinations we could not without them. Also JPs gain a new layer of difficulty (maybe). I guess there won’t be WP around such secret locations.

No mounts, please. Ground movement is good how it is right now. Too many MMOs use them, just because reasons, you know – to stand around and show off your fancy domesticated sabercat or whatever. Don’t turn this franchise into one of those generic MMO clones.

“Bagh Nakh! Bagh Nakh!”
– Dark Lord of Moshpoipoi

(edited by Clyan.1593)

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

My hope is that they reduce the number of waypoints and remove the pointless armour damage. Fewer waypoints equals more time penalty for defeat, and therefore there would be little need for armour repair, which is essentially a minor time delay now.

Yeah armour damage does seem a bit redundant now as a death penalty.

One – Piken Square

Linken.6345

not if u do fotm

Posted by: Malthurius.6870

Malthurius.6870

Why do you need to jump if there are waypoints?

Waypoints get you to a specific spot; chances are there aren’t going to be waypoints directly at a hidden area or secret, and I also doubt there will be a waypoint at every level of a zone vertically.

Armor damage still exists so you can’t just body rush fractals. Honestly; they should also remove the repair anvil from all dungeons and make it so that leaving has consequences… off topic though…

(edited by Malthurius.6870)

Linken.6345

Why do you need to jump if there are waypoints?

Waypoints get you to a specific spot; chances are there aren’t going to be waypoints directly at a hidden area or secret, and I also doubt there will be a waypoint at every level of a zone vertically.

Armor damage still exists so you can’t just body rush fractals. Honestly; they should also remove the repair anvil from all dungeons and make it so that leaving has consequences… off topic though…

that still wouldent do anything people can just take turns to go out and repair aslong as 1 stay inside dungeon…. would just make it more of a hassle for people

Malthurius.6870

that still wouldent do anything people can just take turns to go out and repair aslong as 1 stay inside dungeon…. would just make it more of a hassle for people

“…and make it so that leaving would have consequences.”

Linken.6345

“…and make it so that leaving would have consequences.”

Ops i dced Ops 2 i loged into another char poff inside dungeon and full armor again

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

This is an obvious attempt to counter the “We don’t need Mounts in GW2 because we have WPs.” argument…..don’t feed the Trolls.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Cherokeewill.7504

Cherokeewill.7504

Who says we’re going to have waypoints in HoT? At least right away.

LS2 started with waypoints being corrupted by Mordy and the Waypoint network is established and controlled by the Asura. The Maguuma Jungle is an unexplored region that we will be venturing into. I would absolutely expect that there will be few if any waypoints scattered through out the jungle and likely only a few in major hubs at the beginning.

This might kitten off a few since they won’t be able to WP back after death but I also figure the glut of players exploring the new areas will make WP ressing virtually unnecessary.

Why have hang gliders? Because they’re cool! Because we like to face plant off of the highest point even when we know it will kill us and now it won’t. Because if these maps are as vertical as they hint it, we’ll need them.

Mounts? As useless as capes.

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

Because you’ve created your own preconception that they’re supposed to be a bizarre form of mount.
More likely they’re used to reach certain places when traveling, like gliding across a chasm or safely down a cliff. They’ve even said that there will be some sort of updrafts that you can use your glider on to reach higher places.
Anyone who’s old enough to’ve played the first couple Spyro games on the PS1 will probably have a fair idea of how it works.

(edited by Grimwolf.7163)

Posted by: Darkleaf.3685

Darkleaf.3685

Lets go a little bit side topic here. When Guild Wars 2 frist started ANet stated that they did not put mounts into the game so people could not by pass content. And please forgive this correlation, look at every WoW expansion when it first came out, no flying till you are maxed level for the new epac.

Now lets take a look at the glider, it isn’t a mount. While it is a form of travel, they already stated that there will be areas that can only be reached once you have enough mastery in the glider. Even with that, since they have not gone into the Deep Dives on the glider I’m sure there will be more than just travel that we use them for. I can foresee Gliding Puzzles, fights that involve a large area to cover with the glider, heck, wouldn’t really surprise me if there was some sore of Glider Combat.

Even with all that I welcome the addition of the Glider to them game, as part of it’s evolution.

Posted by: Bristingr.5034

Bristingr.5034

I highly doubt there will be very many waypoints available when the area is just now being explored. Unless there were Asura that threw them up around the crash sites before they died a horrific death from the turned Sylvari.

Posted by: Ripking.1089

Ripking.1089

Because the jungle will be a vertical map…why would u not WANT to glide through the jungle from the treetops.?

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

Because some people hate jumping puzzles, some are bad at it. The maps will have heavy verticality. The gliders will ease players into those maps while providing a fun gimmick.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

Posted by: Shinzan.2908

Shinzan.2908

Because flying is awesome and I can’t wait.

Posted by: myself.2143

myself.2143

They stated the zone are vertical rather than simply horizontal.

You’ll be doing a lot of jumping and falling, regardless of way points.

Posted by: YuiRS.8129

YuiRS.8129

I hope that’s not their only use, because then we’ll fly around for 10 minutes and never glide again after we unlock all WPs.

Posted by: Nightwin.6423

Nightwin.6423

Wish that there will be barley any waypoints, which could be possible seems like they were experimenting with this with ls maps. But to get to the best and hardest parts of the new maps you have to survive

Posted by: Kaleban.9834

Kaleban.9834

Would be nice if instead of using a glider cobbled together out of plants that we could use the Magic Carpet bought in the Gem store.

Or perhaps allow each crafting profession to build a flying “mount” of some sort that could be used in lieu of hang gliding. Tailors get magic carpets, Huntsmen get a flying mount they’ve “tamed”, Jewelers get a nimbus cloud, Cooks make Gummi Berry juice, etc., etc.

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

It’s likely that gliding will be similar to the travel aspects presented in Dry Top: you can still get around using waypoints (once you’ve unlocked them), but there will be areas that can only be accessed via gliding.

Also if I can use gliding to avoid a cheap death like being feared/knocked off a ledge, all the more power to it.

Posted by: Lily.1935

Lily.1935

Because hang gliders! Do you need another reason? HANG GLIDERS!

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

It’s likely that gliding will be similar to the travel aspects presented in Dry Top: you can still get around using waypoints (once you’ve unlocked them), but there will be areas that can only be accessed via gliding.

Also if I can use gliding to avoid a cheap death like being feared/knocked off a ledge, all the more power to it.

Yeah, I hate the way that when you’re on a high ledge you have to watch out for the enemy fearing or knockbacking you off to fall to your death, but can you return the favour? Heck no!

If the gliders do prevent that… that alone will be a nice QoL change. It’ll still be a pain that you’ve probably lost your position, but at least it isn’t a death and a WP fee to add insult to injury.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

Malthurius.6870

Ops i dced Ops 2 i loged into another char poff inside dungeon and full armor again

Oops, when you log out in a dungeon you’re placed outside the dungeon… and the game could give you a notification like “Your group entered this dungeon with a different character/build, entering the dungeon will switch your character and build to what it was when you originally entered the dungeon with your group.” something similar to how GW1 handled it’s instances… except not forcing you to start over unless someone completely abandons the group… then the person that abandoned should receive a tag on looking for group saying how many times they’ve abandoned.

I could go into more possible options for how this could be handled if you like instead of taking my vagueness as a gap in my logic instead of an attempt to be brief because this is completely off topic.

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

i don’t glider is mount. It is not a standard traveling tool. To reach unreachable place where no matter on foot, WP nor mount can access. I think you can only activate the glider at some certain location and it also depends on your mastery level to determine you accessavility.

Novuake.2691

This is an obvious attempt to counter the “We don’t need Mounts in GW2 because we have WPs.” argument…..don’t feed the Trolls.

You think? But one can not simply ignore the trolls.

Posted by: Lurker.3609

Lurker.3609

I hope that’s not their only use, because then we’ll fly around for 10 minutes and never glide again after we unlock all WPs.

So you’re saying that after unlocking all the waypoints on the map you don’t WALK at all? So in, say, WvW, you only dance under one/two waypoint(s) you can choose from?
Waypoints are only to close the distance a little bit if it’s very far away in many cases, from where you start walking.

Posted by: Shiro Tegachii.5619

Shiro Tegachii.5619

ACCOULY i prefer few new big zones with only 1 way point, that way if u reach the end its EPIC!

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

Like the Silverwastes and the Skritt tunnels, we will likely begin to see new ways of travel make their way into the game

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Watch the announcement and all will be come clear.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|