Will HOT be the end of the GW series

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Puki Man.4068

Puki Man.4068

I ask this as a GW1 player and GW2 since Beta. I just see current GW2 as a huge zerg fest (Silverwastes as an example). Once you have finished PvE story there is not much else to do once you have done the dungeons.

There is a lot riding on GW2 Heart Of Thorns (HOT), there is so much competition around for the PC Gamer (Witcher 3 is awesome). I love GW and GW2…but I am so bored with GW2 that I now just log on daily to get my reward and log back off.

I know I am not the only one,, as most of my friends from GW1 and GW2 are the same. Really hoping that GW2HoT can excite us again… with PvE…we do not need the huge zerg fests that are currently occuring in GW2… just so boring… Give us some real story… (Instanced) If people want zerg fests then go to WvW.

All the best looking forward to HOT.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

First of all, without a crystal ball, no one could possibly answer that question. However, I don’t see how anyone can take the question seriously.

Almost all MMOs, virtually all of them, follow the same pattern. A group of people play them for a period of time. They run out of stuff to do, they get bored. An expansion comes out, they come back and play.

It’s what happens with WoW which is, of course, the industry leader. WoW almost always loses millions of players between expansions and usually gains most of them back when expansions come out.

But there are games that are pretty old, that aren’t as popular as Guild Wars 2 is now, and they’re doing okay enough to continually come out with expansions, including Lotro, DDO, Star Trek Online, AoC, TSW, there are a lot of MMOs that go through this cycle.

So I don’t really understand where the question is coming from.

When the expansion hits, people will come and play, including some new people. Many people will get bored and walk away, some of whom will come back, plus new people.

This is how pretty much all MMOs work.

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

As many people as there might be complaining about GW2 on the forums, I think there a lot more people playing and enjoying the game. Besides, what people want from GW2 is so diverse and often times even conflicting that it is impossible to meet the demands of all people who are dissatisfied. No game can please everybody.

To answer your question: No, HoT will probably not be the end. Looking at sales figures makes it seem like GW2 is doing quite well financially. Furthermore, Anet already gave us a glimps into the future they have planned. Specifically they have stated that the mastery system and elite specializations which are both introduced in HoT provide a blueprint through which future character development will be added. Thus Anet themselves at least think that there will more GW2 after HoT.

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

If it flops, probably.

Well, it won’t be the absolute end, but it’s not going to be pretty.

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

it will end. the game will close w/in the next year. this is why the studio is merging w/ carbine, and we will all be given accounts in wildstar, which is about to be free 2 play

Posted by: L Step.8659

L Step.8659

You’ll always get bored in games faster if you just do one gamemode out of three then say there’s nothing to do.

ReRolled [Re] GvG Hero/Wannabe

Best NA rallybot on EU

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

You’ll always get bored in games faster if you just do one gamemode out of three then say there’s nothing to do.

I dunno, i did PvE in GW1 for 7 years, and didn’t get bored, in the 2 1/2 years GW2 has been out and ive spent about 45mins in game in the last month, its so bad that if my dailies take longer than 5 mins to do, i just don’t bother, the game in its current format is in a poor state,

BUT

The current format is exactly what Anet wanted, the pushed ultra hard for the this is a casual game and now they have it, i spend less than 10 mins a day playing, you don’t get any more casual than that, and now that NCSoft have announced that another MMO they are the publisher will finally be pushed to NA/EU later this year, if its as big here as it in in the East, that alone could do more damage to Anet,

At this point i don’t see me or any of my friends buying HOT, there really is nothing in it that is getting me/us excited, i do admire Anet for trying to push the boat out and do something different with GW2 but they pushed to far from the original game, why move away from something that was so successful, ive seen more friends playing GW1 recently that GW2, not bad for a 10 year old game.

For the people who are casual and enjoy this game, who claim to be in awesome full guilds im glad for you, but most of us are not, ive seen 3 or 4 full guilds completely disband and all but maybe a dozen players who still play, i personally feel that HOT will not deliver what they expect it too, and the GW franchise will just slowly fade out, ( don’t get me wrong i hope im wrong as ive played the first GW since release and GW2 since beta but im playing more GW than GW2 now and that says it all )

(edited by Ok I Did It.2854)

Posted by: Lord Arhan Warmark.7098

Lord Arhan Warmark.7098

Folding Carbine into NCSoft could be good for the studio. WildStar probably had excess staff left over from launch and development that are no longer needed or who could be used elsewhere in the company. Cost cutting and a relaunch may help WildStar. Many games that were struggling found greater success once they converted from monthly to F2P. LoTR, DDO and STO are all examples that come to mind. But those were all franchises with incredible amounts of existing content to draw from. WildStar is a new universe and is probably fairly costly to develop new material for. I think HoT will do great things for GW2…. I’ve only followed some of the Beta stuff because I want to be surprised and be full of the same wonder I felt when GW2 launched.

Just my thoughts on it.

dlonie.6547

Carbine’s staff actually got gutted a while back — NCSoft cut the staff of pretty much all of their studios (save ArenaNet), and Carbine got the worst of it. They’re probably in greater need of people than ArenaNet :-(

Edit More info

Does the rumor of a ANet/Carbine merger actually have a basis to it? I’ve not heard of it outside of some random, info-less posts on this forum.

Posted by: ZilentNight.5089

ZilentNight.5089

I believe there are many areas left to explore. In fact a new map was found in the floor of the Durmand Priory which Wooden Potatoes and that_shaman looked over and discovered many new areas far far away.
So there are definitely plans for a much larger world, it will just take a while for it to come out.

Vayne.8563

Carbine’s staff actually got gutted a while back — NCSoft cut the staff of pretty much all of their studios (save ArenaNet), and Carbine got the worst of it. They’re probably in greater need of people than ArenaNet :-(

Edit More info

Does the rumor of a ANet/Carbine merger actually have a basis to it? I’ve not heard of it outside of some random, info-less posts on this forum.

There’s no basis for this at all. The poster invented it.

dlonie.6547

Edit More info

Glad to hear it. I can’t see that ending well for either game. Those are two very, very distinct development styles and target demographics!

Vayne.8563

Edit More info

Glad to hear it. I can’t see that ending well for either game. Those are two very, very distinct development styles and target demographics!

It would make no sense on any level. Wildstar is going to get more players when they go free to play. Guild Wars 2 is going to have players when the expansion comes out. In what world would combining the companies make any sense at all?

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

Correct. Anet is doing just fine, and remember these stories have been unfurling since 2005. Why would they stop now? It is easily the most popular MMO now, Warcraft included.

$$ rule everything though so we will see

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

I
There is a lot riding on GW2 Heart Of Thorns (HOT), there is so much competition around for the PC Gamer (Witcher 3 is awesome).

Different demographics, mind you not mutually exclusive demographics but there’s plenty of single player RPG fans who wouldn’t touch a MMO with a ten foot pole on principle alone.

But there are games that are pretty old, that aren’t as popular as Guild Wars 2 is now, and they’re doing okay enough to continually come out with expansions, including Lotro, DDO, Star Trek Online, AoC, TSW, there are a lot of MMOs that go through this cycle.

My thinking is that even if HoT was to be a massive flop they’d still have a decent enough playerbase. Mind you if HoT were to flop and the expansion / living story after HoT were to flop as well then we can start talking about the doom and gloom.

I believe there are many areas left to explore. In fact a new map was found in the floor of the Durmand Priory which Wooden Potatoes and that_shaman looked over and discovered many new areas far far away.
So there are definitely plans for a much larger world, it will just take a while for it to come out.

Links?
I’m subbed to both of their youtube channels but I didn’t see anything there. All they had was content that was cut never to be implemented.

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

It’s what happens with WoW which is, of course, the industry leader. WoW almost always loses millions of players between expansions and usually gains most of them back when expansions come out.

You really don’t understand where the question is coming from??

Your example of WoW probably not a good one, WoW did say that they lost 2.9million players this year so far due to lack of content, so they have lost more players than GW2 has playing the game, and they still maintain close to 7million PAYING players, that’s 7 million people paying $15 a month, so much for nothing to do,

I think you would be hard pushed to find people who would pay a monthly fee to play GW2 in its current state, its free to play and people still don’t want to log in, putting all the eggs in the HOT Basket could back fire badly.

WoW dominates the MMO market and have done for years, and will continue to do so, anyone who uses WoW as an example against GW2 is wrong, im willing to bet any company would take 7million paying customers over a game struggling to maintain at this moment id say 1 million on a hard push.

And no im not a WoW player.

(edited by Ok I Did It.2854)

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Will it be the end? No. But if it does poorly, I can see it being the end of people taking this game as a serious contender. One side effect of that will be NCSoft giving them less support.

Mind you, that’s IF it does poorly.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

First of all, without a crystal ball, no one could possibly answer that question. However, I don’t see how anyone can take the question seriously.

Even with a crystal ball, all you’ll see are threads of all the possible future intertwined with each other not knowing where it ends nor where it begins.

So, I don’t think a crystal ball will be of any help.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

(edited by Sir Vincent III.1286)

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

I ask this as a GW1 player and GW2 since Beta. I just see current GW2 as a huge zerg fest (Silverwastes as an example). Once you have finished PvE story there is not much else to do once you have done the dungeons.

There is a lot riding on GW2 Heart Of Thorns (HOT), there is so much competition around for the PC Gamer (Witcher 3 is awesome). I love GW and GW2…but I am so bored with GW2 that I now just log on daily to get my reward and log back off.

I know I am not the only one,, as most of my friends from GW1 and GW2 are the same. Really hoping that GW2HoT can excite us again… with PvE…we do not need the huge zerg fests that are currently occuring in GW2… just so boring… Give us some real story… (Instanced) If people want zerg fests then go to WvW.

All the best looking forward to HOT.

PvE in any sense is completely unchallenging, and i don’t see that that’ll ever change. I guess for me HOT means something different: a whole new way to face other professions that i’m not used to. a chance to re-adapt, and become as good at the new specs as i am at the old ones. Difference being, PvE fights will almost always be the same. Fractals for example, the fights don’t change as much as they get more annoying(not harder). And it becomes a sort of gear treadmill, earning ascended pieces and opening up agony resist slots.
You will eventually beat all of it all over again, while I will always be learning how to be a better fighter in WvW, because players are smarter than AI. (Usually)
I’m not trying to bash PvErs at all so i’m sorry if it seems that way, but up until now ‘stacking’ has been the way to eliminate bosses in almost all areas of PvE content. Can you stack to fight a player? No. Can you stacking save you in a duel? No. While zerging is important in WvW there’s a lot more to it than that, not so much when it comes to pve. So before you belittle something like WvW, remember how simple other areas of the game are in comparison.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

At least they got one thing right that makes them stand out against the masses: a max level and endgame gear that doesnt progress with updates. Thats a main concern for many gamers that have played mmorpgs for a long time, that old wheel is gone.

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

Posted by: Tirien.1326

Tirien.1326

You really don’t understand where the question is coming from??

Your example of WoW probably not a good one, WoW did say that they lost 2.9million players this year so far due to lack of content, so they have lost more players than GW2 has playing the game, and they still maintain close to 7million PAYING players, that’s 7 million people paying $15 a month, so much for nothing to do,

I think you would be hard pushed to find people who would pay a monthly fee to play GW2 in its current state, its free to play and people still don’t want to log in, putting all the eggs in the HOT Basket could back fire badly.

WoW dominates the MMO market and have done for years, and will continue to do so, anyone who uses WoW as an example against GW2 is wrong, im willing to bet any company would take 7million paying customers over a game struggling to maintain at this moment id say 1 million on a hard push.

And no im not a WoW player.

I see this alot, and it frustrates me to oblivion. WoW may have one trillion subscribers, but if those trillions of subscribers lives in ASIA, you can’t play with them, talk to them, see them. IT doesn’t matter does it?

And just a side note, i play wow (or atleast did often) close to 1 year ago, did you know that early level zones and mid zones are pretty much dead? In GW2, a game that doesn’t have those trillions of billions of people playing it, it still feels more alive and well than any mmorpg to date. That’s thanks to Anets system of downleveling and other mechanics.

Gw2 aint going nowhere, with the amount of money they make from Gemstore, lol, there’s a reason there are several Free 2 play mmorpgs out there. And they seem to do fine.

Why worry about this game, when this game offers more than anyother game i know that has been out for 3 years? I mean SWTOR is still on, if that game is alive and kicking, oh man, this game is more than doing just well, it must do VERY well.

If HOT is good, ir good enough, i can see plenty of people coming back, and those that say they wont, they will, just like in WoW you got people that say they won’t buy the expansion, but they do. I’m not talking about the casuals that try a game out for a couple of months, i’m talking about the fanbase that is today and has been playing on/off for years.

A game that is this well done, i just don’t see it going anywhere soon.

Posted by: Adngel.9786

Adngel.9786

No, it won’t be the end of the GW series. Even the people who are bored and tired of GW2, keep comming, debating, loging for the daily rewards and asking for the date and price of the next expansion, ¿how is GW ends with such loyal fans?.

Posted by: Foomnz.6954

Foomnz.6954

Puki Man

The game cant solve the existential crisis you and your friends are having.

Play Wicther for a while.

GW 2 will be here when you inevitably get bored with that.

And most probably the mountains of gear you have from grinding Instanced content for 3+ years on your multiple 80 alts will still be relevant in a game that provides mostly horizontal progression.

see you in HoT.

(edited by Foomnz.6954)

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

I dunno, i did PvE in GW1 for 7 years, and didn’t get bored, in the 2 1/2 years GW2 has been out and ive spent about 45mins in game in the last month, its so bad that if my dailies take longer than 5 mins to do, i just don’t bother, the game in its current format is in a poor state,

I agree. GW1 was so much better in this regard. GW2 is far too casual and nothing can be replayed.

Posted by: Puki Man.4068

Puki Man.4068

Thank you for all the open and honest comments! I really hope GW2HoT can keep us playing after the initial surge. Got to be better than living story which everyone gobbles up in about 3 days. Be interesting to see what they have planned as far as advertising once the date is announced,, it will be the hype that brings new players. Old players just want something new. All the best.