Will HoT ever be available for gems?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: BaconCatTheGreasy.9542

BaconCatTheGreasy.9542

Due to how ANet screwed over early adopters like myself by giving the expansion essentially for free to new players, I refuse on principle to pay actual money for it. Has ANet said anything about when/if HoT will be available to buy with gems?

Posted by: Rayden.3695

Rayden.3695

HoT will probably be never available via gems. This is because unlike LS2 content or Heroic/Deluxe edition of the basegame there is no other way to access the expansion content. Basically selling HoT in the gemstore would give Anet minimal income because players can convert gold to gems.

Posted by: BaconCatTheGreasy.9542

BaconCatTheGreasy.9542

HoT will probably be never available via gems. This is because unlike LS2 content or Heroic/Deluxe edition of the basegame there is no other way to access the expansion content. Basically selling HoT in the gemstore would give Anet minimal income because players can convert gold to gems.

By that logic they should charge new players $100+ for the base game+HoT like they did to older players.

Posted by: Tobysauce.6291

Tobysauce.6291

By that logic they should charge new players $100+ for the base game+HoT like they did to older players.

Yes, either that or reduce the price of the expansion for old players. I also refuse to pay twice when new players only have to pay once now. It really is a big slap to the face.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

It will kind of be available for gems. You’ll just need to wait until the next expansion, then you’ll get HoT for free and be able to buy whatever seasons you missed during HoT.

Their new single box model will make more sense next expansion. You basically pay $50 now and get HoT’s living story for free, or get HoT for free in ~2 years and pay ~$40 for HoT’s living story.

Posted by: Rayden.3695

Rayden.3695

Thing is, charging 100+ for a game is bad business(looks at EA), and would not bring new players to Guild Wars as the current system with F2P and 50$ account upgrade/expansion has done and is doing. And honestly, I really don’t mind paying 50 bucks to get an expansion to a game I’ve played for 3 years, even if it is a little sub-par.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I guess you guys better start giving up MMOs then, because all the big MMOs are doing this for good reason.

The more expansions the comes out, the harder it is for new players to start playing and without new players, there is no MMO.

All MMOs suffer from natural attrition. People stop playing for all sorts of reasons. They have to be replaced.

So you remove barriers to entry for people by letting them get in for just the price of the expansion.

What to veteran players get? Three years of game time, that’s what?

You spent $60 three years ago, probably played for more than 100 hours and you’re saying what do I get for playing the game? You go the game. Content that’s no longer in the game that new people can’t play. Items no longer in the game.

Hell if you logged in when LS 2 was live you got that content free, new players have to pay

Veterans have a huge head start in accumulating wealth and achievement points. What makes someone want to buy a game, particularly if they have to buy several to catch up?

Nothing at all. It’s okay if people don’t want to pay. But it doesn’t make them reasonable.

(edited by Vayne.8563)

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

People bought the game because it was B2P. Now you have to pay for the expansion, no option for gem purchase. Bait-and-switch.

Posted by: Baamoink.4281

Baamoink.4281

People are under this misconception that if the base game wasn’t included, it’d be cheaper. The reality is, if it was the expansion on its own, the price would be exactly the same!

Them including the base game in this expansion and future expansions is a big plus to encourage new players to continually join the game and bolster the community. Rather than new players having to fork out for the base game + all expansions to have a chance of keeping up.

For the veteran’s, we pay £35/$50 every 3 years? Play most subscription based MMO’s for 3-4 months (not including base price to start your subscription), and you’ve paid for GW2 + HoT.

/rant

Guild: Mantle Assasins [MA] – Guild Leader
Server: Far Shiverpeaks EU

Posted by: HardRider.2980

HardRider.2980

Do we honestly still have people who fail to understand why Anet did this.

What Baamoink basically said really.
Pure and simple.

They didn’t price the expansion W. the base game included. The price was the expansion it self.
They basically did a – buy expansion, get base game free for new players.
Sure, we don’t get the base game for free as we have it…. but we’ve had 3 years with this game to enjoy where as those who get the base game with the expansion.. got nothing.. they didn’t get any of those 3 years.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Baamoink.4281

Baamoink.4281

To add on to my previous post, if you think £35/$50 is expensive, go look at any other newly released games by a large studio. The Witcher 3, Cod: Black Ops 3, GTA V, Assassins Creed: Syndicate, to name a few. These are all extortionately more expensive than what HoT is selling for on day 1. And then you’ve got their Season Passes and DLC added onto that already high price tag!

Anet isn’t an Indie studio, like some players might be used to when purchasing their Steam games.

Guild: Mantle Assasins [MA] – Guild Leader
Server: Far Shiverpeaks EU

(edited by Baamoink.4281)

Vayne.8563

People bought the game because it was B2P. Now you have to pay for the expansion, no option for gem purchase. Bait-and-switch.

Guild Wars 1 was buy to play too. They still released an expansion for pay.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Due to how ANet screwed over early adopters like myself by giving the expansion essentially for free to new players, I refuse on principle to pay actual money for it. Has ANet said anything about when/if HoT will be available to buy with gems?

No, they will never offer it for gems, because it would mean a huge loss in revenue. If you “refuse on principle to pay actual money,” then you aren’t part of their target audience.

INB4: while it’s true that the OP would (probably) exchange gold to someone who paid cash for their gems, ANet would still lose out on revenue:

• In the OP’s scenario, only one person (gems-for-cash buyer) gives money to ANet.
  • In ANet’s system, two people pay (gems-for-cash buyer and the HoT buyer).
John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Minos.5168

Minos.5168

As others have said, I doubt it will ever appear in the Gem Store (except, possibly, whenever a new expansion comes out).

I’d say to just wait for a sale. Amazon in France had it for like 20 Euro, which is just over $21.

It’s certainly worth $21, in my opinion. I wouldn’t have paid $50 on it, though, had I known fully the meager amount of content that it added. (I naively thought that since it’d been 3 years since the game released, and 1 year since they announced working on an expansion, that there might actually be a decent amount of content included.)

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Nothing bate and switch about it. The game just like GW1 buy to play, you had to pay for everything separate then if you where playing from day one. For new players it’s an amazing deal, I do think HoT is over priced for what we got. In the end HoT is nothing more than DLC/season pass. Untill the next xpac comes out, we can not say if it’s worth the price.
But one thing it is not is a bate and switch.

At OP, no. If you want HoT you will have to pay with real money. The price of HoT is already falling. In the UK the price on average is down £10. Hell I got HoT for £5 cheaper a few days before launch of amazon.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Vayne.8563

Nothing bate and switch about it. The game just like GW1 buy to play, you had to pay for everything separate then if you where playing from day one. For new players it’s an amazing deal, I do think HoT is over priced for what we got. In the end HoT is nothing more than DLC/season pass. Untill the next xpac comes out, we can not say if it’s worth the price.
But one thing it is not is a bate and switch.

At OP, no. If you want HoT you will have to pay with real money. The price of HoT is already falling. In the UK the price on average is down £10. Hell I got HoT for £5 cheaper a few days before launch of amazon.

Aside from that, bait and switch is the wrong term anyway. Bait and switch refers to advertising a specific item and substituting a different item. Like advertising a Sony TV and when you get to the shop, all they have is Samsung. That’s the definition of bait and switch.

Posted by: Albadaran.1283

Albadaran.1283

I think HOT will be in gemstore within a year, long before a new expansion is announced. Simply because over a year it won’t sell anymore for real money.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I think HOT will be in gemstore within a year, long before a new expansion is announced. Simply because over a year it won’t sell anymore for real money.

So you think no one will buy GW2 in the next year?

Well you hear it here folks. No one is going to buy a guild wars 2 game in the next year. Lets hope the gem store can keep the game going as ANet will not be getting anymore cash from game sales.

Really the dumbest thing I’ve read in the last few minutes.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Aside from that, bait and switch is the wrong term anyway.

When ArenaNet talks about the game and how it’s B2P, they usually say something like pay once and play for free forever. Some people thought that meant they only had to pay once, expecting the content to be free. To add to the confusion, that was true prior to HoT as there were no plans for an expansion and the living story was free.

In other words, they think B2P is F2P except you need to pay to create an account. The bait and switch is in the misunderstanding.

Simply because over a year it won’t sell anymore for real money.

You won’t be able to unlock the living story for free without HoT. Unless there’s a major drop in population, in which case they’ll likely make it free, there’s really no reason to offer it for gems. HoT will probably still be $50 in ~1.5 years, except it’ll be bundled with season 3.

Posted by: quaniesan.8497

quaniesan.8497

oh god, it’s just , what, a one time $50 or $60. Just pay up and play for months and years. Given how many posts I saw about HOT should be free or at least much cheaper, So much efforts and time to write up and argue about this to no fruition, don’t you think this time could have been used to work overtime and actually get the darned thing?

If ya no longer see me after this post,
it means THEY got me for " neg criticism in clever disguise".
Know that it has been fun and I love ya all.

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

don’t you think this time could have been used to work overtime and actually get the darned thing?

If the job allows you to do overtime.

Either way, you know you’ve messed something when that something keeps getting mentioned even 2 months after implementation.

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

GW1 is not comparable, you were able to buy the original GW1 plus all 3 expacs for 30 bucks-ish even like 6 years ago.

If you’re complaining about having to buy both the core GW2 and the expac, you’re saying you got zero value out of playing the core game for 3 years, and in that case you shouldn’t have bought the expac. Me, I definitely got 50 bucks or whatever the price was out of the core game. If I turned my playing time into nights out on the town, I saved several thousand dollars by playing GW2 instead of going out for drinks or whatever.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Either way, you know you’ve messed something when that something keeps getting mentioned even 2 months after implementation.

Um, no. People have been mentioning mounts since GW2 was announced; that hardly means ANet did something wrong (unless you love mounts regardless of their appropriateness for the particular game, in which case, of course it means that).

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Putting something on the gem store essentially makes it free, putting the expansion on the gem store would also effectively spell the end for the gold-gem exchange rate.