Will I be able to purchase HoT for Diamonds?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: ExtraVirginOlive.2685

ExtraVirginOlive.2685

Q:

All info needed in title.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

A:

From the Support FAQ:

Q: Is the expansion “buy to play”?
A: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns is a paid expansion to Guild Wars 2, but once you buy it, there are no subscription fees. This means that you can continue playing and access future updates for Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns with no subscription fee.

So it’s a paid expansion, I doubt that means “also on the gem store”. They could add a “Deluxe edition” on the gem store, so players can get the simple edition for less money, then upgrade to deluxe using gems when they want.

Posted by: Argon.1563

Argon.1563

By “Diamonds” I assume you mean Gems.

Probably not. Its a commercial, boxed product like the original release of GW2. I think the only way to get it will be via buying it with real life money from your local retailer or the GW2 website.

If they do sell it for gems however, it will likely be a LOT of gems. (Like, the tens of thousands, probably.)

Posted by: Pyrasia.9281

Pyrasia.9281

There might be a Deluxe version of the expansion that you can upgrade from Regular expansion via Gems.

MAYBE !

Posted by: Monkey Fritz.9052

Monkey Fritz.9052

Probably not. Its a commercial, boxed product like the original release of GW2. I think the only way to get it will be via buying it with real life money from your local retailer or the GW2 website.

If they do sell it for gems however, it will likely be a LOT of gems. (Like, the tens of thousands, probably.)

You can upgrade to the “heroic” edition of the game with gems, and have been since launch. Gems are actual cash currency that Anet recieved. The heroic edition costs more gems than the cash value, so ever person who upgrades is actually paying anet more money than if they bought it directly.

There is very little reason for them not to introduce the expansion for gems, at a higher cost than buying it outright.

It makes them more money that way.

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

You can upgrade to the “heroic” edition of the game with gems, and have been since launch. Gems are actual cash currency that Anet recieved. The heroic edition costs more gems than the cash value, so ever person who upgrades is actually paying anet more money than if they bought it directly.

There is very little reason for them not to introduce the expansion for gems, at a higher cost than buying it outright.

It makes them more money that way.

Except for the fact that the upgrade in the gem store is only bonus items, and not actual game content. Also, people often hoard gems to sell later at a higher price, so there is actually a reason not to, because it can make financial reports not entirely accurate.

There’s also the fact it would cause the price of gems to absolutely skyrocket.

(edited by Lazaar.9123)

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

Nothing confirmed at this point, but it’s possible.

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

nope. cash only. not via gemstore.

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: Nephziel.6053

Nephziel.6053

We don’t know so far. I doubt it.
But I’m pretty sure it won’t be 10s of thousand games because thats pushing it.
8k Gems is 85GBP which is around 110 dollars if I am correct.
This would be absurd price and I doubt much people would be willing to spend 110 bucks for digital expansion.

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

if you’re rich enough to consider using diamonds as currency, i’m sure you can pawn one for the cash needed to buy the expansion

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

Posted by: Gaaroth.2567

Gaaroth.2567

Shine bright like a diamond….SHINYYYY

Back on topic, no official statement yet, but i’d bet not

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

I’m gonna go ahead and say no, since that would allow people to buy it with gold, and since it would probably cost a lot of gems, there would be an incredible imbalance in the gold<=>gems system with all the people using gold to get the expansion.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: A OK.8276

A OK.8276

It’s probably easier to see a your local jewelery broker to sell the diamonds for cash and just use debit or visa to purchase the game.

However, if the diamonds are obtained by dubious means it’s best to be more discrete. I specialize in this area, pm me for more.

Posted by: Trise.2865

Trise.2865

At this point, either possibility is equally likely. However, I believe ANet would be wise to offer the expansion content through the Gem Store. They might lose some revenue that way, possibly, but far more would buy it there out of convenience rather than bother with the distro site or retail stores.

They would also be wise to have the retail version offer certain small bonuses, similar to the Deluxe Edition, built-in or automatically “unlocked” upon activation. If implemented, and also like the Deluxe Edition, this bonus content should be available in the Gem Store for a minimal cost (remember this is to encourage retail sales and draw attention, not punish everyone else). They should also offer a Collector’s Edition for crazy nuts like myself.

Posted by: Artanis.4963

Artanis.4963

As stated before, with the exception of a limited infusion at launch, all gems in the game were created by players purchasing gems from ArenaNet.

It would be perfectly reasonable to find the expansion on the gem store.

I would note that if your plan is to buy it with gold, you might want to get the gems before it’s released.

Posted by: Windsagio.1340

Windsagio.1340

People always think they can trick companies into essentially giving away their content.

No it’s not in their best interest, people will use farmed gold > gem conversions instead of actual $$$ to buy the game, which reduces sales.

It would drive the price of gems crazy up, but that doesn’t convert cleanly into more gem sales.

Posted by: Ziantra.8502

Ziantra.8502

We should be able to buy a digital download no? Or will we have to buy a physical disc copy?

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

We should be able to buy a digital download no? Or will we have to buy a physical disc copy?

Digital download from the shop section on this site for real money, yes. Possibly from online stores too.

Posted by: Monkey Fritz.9052

Monkey Fritz.9052

People always think they can trick companies into essentially giving away their content.

No it’s not in their best interest, people will use farmed gold > gem conversions instead of actual $$$ to buy the game, which reduces sales.

It would drive the price of gems crazy up, but that doesn’t convert cleanly into more gem sales.

I don’t think you understand how gems work.

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

He seems to understand that gems can be purchased with gold. The gold can be bought in bulk from gold sellers. People could buy the game without Anet receiving any revenue. Anet would be insane to allow people to purchase the game with gems.

Posted by: Belenwyn.8674

Belenwyn.8674

Maybe Arenanet will offer modules in the gemstore like unlocking the Revenant or the mastery system for gems.

Posted by: Fafnir.5124

Fafnir.5124

u do realize the gem to gold ratio will quickly be skyrocketing probably turn into 100g for 100 gems. and then know it won’t really be afordable to gems. This will also most likey cause the price of everything to skyrocket. So Anet please release platinum coins.

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

If I could use diamonds to pay for the game, I’m gonna enslave an entire Skritt hive and have them mine them for me.

Posted by: Windsagio.1340

Windsagio.1340

I do of course, but it’s not central to my point.

The only reason people want the expansion for gems instead of for cash is because gems have substantially less real value to those people than cash does. Anything else is smokescreen.