Will I receive a character slot?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Jade Arkadian.9280

Jade Arkadian.9280

Q:

Hi there!

I’ve just read the blog entry about the pre-purchase matter and learn about your resolution on gifting veteran players a character slot if they upgraded to any HoT Pre-purchase.

My question is: Will this also apply to veteran players who will buy the pre-purchase boxed edition from any retailer and upgrade their accounts?

Posted by: Palindrome.8904

Palindrome.8904

It says that anyone with an older account that upgrades (with no deadline to upgrade) will get the slot. Presumably you could upgrade months after HoT releases from any vendor and still get the slot.

Posted by: DirtyDan.4759

DirtyDan.4759

Was about to ask the same question

It says that anyone with an older account that upgrades (with no deadline to upgrade) will get the slot. Presumably you could upgrade months after HoT releases from any vendor and still get the slot.

You read that wrong. It says:
For all players who registered the core Guild Wars 2® game prior to January 23, 2015 and who upgrade their account by prepurchasing and registering any Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns edition before Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns‘ launch, we will add one additional character slot to your Guild Wars 2 account.

(edited by DirtyDan.4759)

Posted by: Red Queen.7915

Red Queen.7915

I’d like to know as well.
Yes, I’m someone who’s been easily pacified by both the statement and the character slot. Now I’d just like to know what this means for the boxed editions? I like putting stuff on my shelves, but wouldn’t the boxed edition, even if ordered/purchased now, arrive too late to be registered in time? Because that’d be sort of a bummer for collectors.

I mean, HoT won’t be patched in until launch anyway, so would retailers be able to hand me the boxed version (a.k.a. my HoT key) before the launch date so I can register the key and get the slot?

PSA: The amount of small felines serves as an indicator for just how angry I am at something.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

Jade Arkadian.9280

For all players who registered the core Guild Wars 2® game prior to January 23, 2015 and who upgrade their account by prepurchasing and registering any Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns edition before Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns‘ launch, we will add one additional character slot to your Guild Wars 2 account.

So, I understand that includes boxed editions as long the upgrade is made before the official launch. Is that right?

Posted by: Jordo.5913

Jordo.5913

So, I understand that includes boxed editions as long the upgrade is made before the official launch. Is that right?

Nada. The boxed edition is a launch version of the game. The character slot is a pre-purchase bonus only. You only recieve the character slot as long as you pre-purchase and upgrade BEFORE the launch date of GW2: HoT.

DirtyDan.4759

That’s the question. Boxed and online version? Only online version?
What we know is that the registration has to be completed before launch.

Jordo.5913

My bad

I just read the FAQ.

Can I pre-purchase through my favorite retailer?

Yes. Starting on June 23, 2015, you’ll be able to pre-purchase boxed and digital editions of Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns from our official retail partners. You may also be able to pre-order through retailers, but there is no official pre-order program and pre-purchasing is the only way to receive the benefits of our pre-purchase program, including access to all of the Beta Weekend Events.
Note that the Ultimate edition is only available for purchase in-game and via buy.guildwars2.com. Additionally, there won’t be an option to upgrade to the Ultimate edition later if you decide to purchase the Standard or Deluxe edition.

So it does look like you’ll be able to pre-purchase a boxed version from the official retailers of Arenanet which is Best Buy, Gamestop, and Newegg. This does mean you will have to pay in full, and you should recieve your code to upgrade on the receipt, or if through newegg, it will likely be in an e-mail. You also need to do this before HoT launch.

(edited by Jordo.5913)

Red Queen.7915

Now I feel stupid ._.

Thanks for posting^^

PSA: The amount of small felines serves as an indicator for just how angry I am at something.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

DirtyDan.4759

Hopefully our german retailer Saturn will have it in stock. Games at Gamestop are 99% of the time more expensive than anywhere else. We don’t have Best Buy and Newegg (never heard of Newegg)

Red Queen.7915

Hopefully our german retailer Saturn will have it in stock. Games at Gamestop are 99% of the time more expensive than anywhere else. We don’t have Best Buy and Newegg (never heard of Newegg)

Don’t they offer to order stuff for you if they don’t have it in stock so you can pick it up at the store? Saturn in Göttingen did that…

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

Jordo.5913

Unfortunately, Saturn is not on their “Officail Retailers”, so you may or may not get the the pre-purchase bonuses.

Newegg is a website.

www.newegg.com

Jade Arkadian.9280

My bad

I just read the FAQ.

Can I pre-purchase through my favorite retailer?

Yes. Starting on June 23, 2015, you’ll be able to pre-purchase boxed and digital editions of Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns from our official retail partners. You may also be able to pre-order through retailers, but there is no official pre-order program and pre-purchasing is the only way to receive the benefits of our pre-purchase program, including access to all of the Beta Weekend Events.
Note that the Ultimate edition is only available for purchase in-game and via buy.guildwars2.com. Additionally, there won’t be an option to upgrade to the Ultimate edition later if you decide to purchase the Standard or Deluxe edition.

So it does look like you’ll be able to pre-purchase a boxed version from the official retailers of Arenanet which is Best Buy, Gamestop, and Newegg. This does mean you will have to pay in full, and you should recieve your code to upgrade on the receipt, or if through newegg, it will likely be in an e-mail. You also need to do this before HoT launch.

Hmm, when I bought my boxed Guild Wars 2 Pre-purchase 3 years ago (just a code inside an empty DVD box), I obtained all the bonus including access to the beta weekend and 3 days headstart.

Why should it be different this time?

Red Queen.7915

Unfortunately, Saturn is not on their “Officail Retailers”, so you may or may not get the the pre-purchase bonuses.

Newegg is a website.

www.newegg.com

It is. You need to select the appropriate country (Germany, in this case) to see the retailers for your specific location. We don’t see Newegg.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

I suppose we’ll find out tomorrow when it goes on sale. Hopefully it does, but I’m not sure that most retailers will provide a code that can be redeemed before HoT launches.

Jade Arkadian.9280

The boxed prepurchase sold by retailers is suposed to grant the same features as the standard edition sold through buy.guildwars2.com, and hence there should be no problem getting that extra character slot if you had a GW2 account prior to Jan 23rd 2015.

Also it’s not the same preorder the game than getting a prepurchase.